Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
wdwlovin'family
Mouseketeer

Post Halloween Sales and pirate night

We were at Target this evening and checked out their Halloween clearance. We found an awesome Jack Sparrow Pirates of the Carribean hat, orginally $12, for $4 and a pirate play set with sword, earring, eye patch, hook and hat for $3. The sword is very obviously a fake pirate sword but I am wondering if it can go in carry-on luggage. Right now, we were thinking of only doing carry-on but we might check one bag. I know fake guns are not allowed in carry-ons. What about plastic-y swords? Did my $3 sword just turn into a $38 dollar one?

What are some other cheap and compact ideas for dress up at Pirate night? We already have the pirate mickey ears. Unfortunately, there were no more pirate costumes. I probably should hit up the Target across town to see if any are there.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
jlynch924
Mousin' Around

I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere on the DCL site that swords, no matter how fake looking, are not permitted.
But great score on the hat!!

WDW 1972, 1977, 1982 (Epcot Opening), 1995, 2005
DCL Wonder 9/2007, Dream 9/2011, Magic 12/2012, Dream 11/2014

jlynch924 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwlovin'family View Post
We were at Target this evening and checked out their Halloween clearance. We found an awesome Jack Sparrow Pirates of the Carribean hat, orginally $12, for $4 and a pirate play set with sword, earring, eye patch, hook and hat for $3. The sword is very obviously a fake pirate sword but I am wondering if it can go in carry-on luggage. Right now, we were thinking of only doing carry-on but we might check one bag. I know fake guns are not allowed in carry-ons. What about plastic-y swords? Did my $3 sword just turn into a $38 dollar one?

What are some other cheap and compact ideas for dress up at Pirate night? We already have the pirate mickey ears. Unfortunately, there were no more pirate costumes. I probably should hit up the Target across town to see if any are there.
Good find on the hat!
After last halloween we picked up red and white stripy pirate stockings at walmart for $1. Makes a 'put-together-costume' all the more pirate-y looking!

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

From the DCL website:

Question
What items are not permitted on board?

Answer
In order to maintain a safe and secure environment for our Guests and crew, the following are examples of items that Guests are not allowed to bring on board. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found.

Weapons and firearms (including ammunition, knives—including dive knives—swords, daggers or any other types of weapons) are not allowed onboard under any circumstances
Realistic replicas of firearms and weapons
Highly flammable liquids and combustible substances
Non prescribed controlled substances, illegal drugs, medically prescribed and synthetic marijuana
Power Tools and Tool boxes (except those tools of the trade utilized by vendors providing services)
Sporting equipment (i.e., baseball and cricket bats, hockey and lacrosse sticks, pool cues, ski poles, fishing gear and archery equipment.)
SCUBA equipment (i.e., tanks, spears guns /slings, dive knives, pry bar, and underwater scooter)
Kites, balloons, surfboards, wave boards, inflatable floats/pools (including pool noodles), and wagons
Bicycles, Segways, skateboards, inline & roller skates, any footwear with wheels, (i.e. Heely's type shoes)
Electrical appliances such as rice cookers, hot plates, coffee makers, electric irons, bottle sterilizer and bottle warmers, electric blankets, electric blenders, etc. Please note: A limited number of approved bottle warmers and bottle sterilizers are available upon request through Guest Services. Also all ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.
Candles & Incense
DVD, VCR, or Blu ray players or, Playstation, Xbox, and Nintendo Wii gaming systems are not allowed because of compatibility issues with the stateroom TVs
Musical instruments
Large Ice Coolers (Please note: small, personal-sized coolers, no larger than 12" x 12" x 12" brought onboard for the purpose of housing medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.)
Homemade, pre-cooked or other perishable food items plus any open snack containers
Metal detectors are not allowed on the ship or on Castaway Cay, as any object found using thesedevices would need to be returned to the owner or donated to charity
Personal fireworks or pyrotechnics
Seasonal and celebratory lighting strings
Liquid oxygen
The following items are permitted but with the following restrictions:

Walkie-talkies and two-way radios (e.g., Motorola, JVC). Please be aware that the amount of steel in the ship's infrastructure may cause some "dead zones" and the radios may not transmit in these areas.
A small portable fan. However, please contact Guest Services to have the Chief Electrician approve the use of your particular appliance in the stateroom.
Coast Guard approved personal flotation devices (PFDs) and flotation sewn into the bathing suit for safety. However, recreational floating devices such as floats, rafts and fun noodles cannot be brought on board and are not permitted in the pools or on Castaway Cay.
Golf clubs, as long as they are stored in your stateroom.

Bolding is mine. So, unless it looks very real then I would say it is OK to bring.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

They actually sell plastic swords in the gift shops, and do allow them in checked luggage brought on board.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
Ariel224
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The sword is very obviously a fake pirate sword but I am wondering if it can go in carry-on luggage. Right now, we were thinking of only doing carry-on but we might check one bag. I know fake guns are not allowed in carry-ons. What about plastic-y swords? Did my $3 sword just turn into a $38 dollar one?
Bolding is mine. I'm pretty sure the OP is asking about AIRLINE carry-on restrictions. The $38 price for the sword being the addition of the checked bag fee.

I too would like to know the answer to the airline question.

Disneyland November 2-5, 2009; November 11-21, 2010; November 7-11, 2011
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean November 10-17, 2012
Ariel224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:45 AM   #7
kay1864
DIS Veteran

Airport TSA lists as prohibited:
Realistic Replicas of Firearms
Sharp Objects (including swords)

For swords TSA is clearly talking about metal objects with sharp tips. Nothing about replicas of swords.

If you put it in your carryon, a plastic sword probably won't even show up on the xray. But I'd pack it with all the pirate stuff just in case they decide to examine.

TSA's own rules do not list replicas of swords, only replicas of firearms. If an overzealous TSA agent says it's not allowed (doubtful IMHO), you can ask for a supervisor, who will know the rules more thoroughly.

But honestly I think you'll get through security without any issues.
kay1864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #8
disneyfan888
DIS Veteran

If its plastic you should be fine. If it has any metal on it even if its just on the handle, that might be a problem. I hope all turns out well and great job on the awesome deals!

[

disneyfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #9
SpoonfulofSugar
DIS Veteran

I'll just say that I don't know the real TSA rules but every time we leave MCO airport there is a garbage can full of disney plastic swords taken off people at the check point. So sad to see the kids cry because they can't keep their swords.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #10
sue
love my DVC

Quote:

How about making a sword. Take some sturdy cardboard and cover it with tin foil or grey duck tape. TSA can't complain about that and you could just throw it away after pirate night. Less to take back home
Disney' Big Red Boat 3/92 Contemporary 3/92, Poly Resort 12/ 01, Disney Wonder 12/01, Disney Magic 11/05, SSR and OKW 10/06, SSR 08/07 Hawaii Mauni Lani Resort 08/08, Pop Century 2009, OKW 2009, DVC member only cruise Disney Wonder 2009, DVC trade to Kauai Wyndham Shearwater 01/10, All star music resort 08/11, SSR treehouse villas and OKW 11/11, Pop Century 11/12, Disney Fantasy Western 11/12, Bay Lake and Disney Fantasy Eastern 10/14
sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #11
mammacaryn
Don't be a JERK!

We bought a sword and gun on the ship on our first cruise....toy ones of course. We put them in our checked luggage. If you only paid a couple bucks for it, put it in your carry on, if you can't take it and have to leave it, you are only out a few bucks.

January 2009 Disney Wonder-Bahamas
March 2010 Disney Magic-Western Caribbean
March 2011 Disney Dream-Bahamas

mammacaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #12
kay1864
DIS Veteran

I got to wondering about that bin full of swords at MCO, and apparently the TSA has additional rules that don't display on their Prohibited Items list. I used the search box on the site, and found this:
Water guns, toy guns, toy swords and other items that resemble real firearms or other weapons can look just like the real thing in an X-ray. Please pack them in your checked bag.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #13
kay1864
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammacaryn View Post
We bought a sword and gun on the ship on our first cruise....toy ones of course. We put them in our checked luggage. If you only paid a couple bucks for it, put it in your carry on, if you can't take it and have to leave it, you are only out a few bucks.
My thoughts exactly. Good luck to the OP!
Old 11-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #14
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Want to know what gets your luggage hand searched by TSA? A box of WDW Christmas tree ornaments! Yup, the wires on the ornaments had to have been what triggered the search....oh fun.

Your plastic sword will be fine in checked luggage but not in carry ons.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #15
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Want to know what gets your luggage hand searched by TSA? A box of WDW Christmas tree ornaments! Yup, the wires on the ornaments had to have been what triggered the search....oh fun.

Your plastic sword will be fine in checked luggage but not in carry ons.
Yup...Just put it in your carry on. It will be fine.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: