Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
LoveStitch
Mouseketeer

Clothes for (non-formal) dinners

So, all the descriptions for women say dresses or pantsuits for dinner. I don't wear or own any. Would a nice top/nice pants combination work okay? I have nice khaki, black and white slacks with dressier tops (not dressier like sequins, but dressier like nice business clothes). Would that be okay, or would I look out of place?

I have a couple of dressier dresses that I'm planning on for Palo and Remy - it's the other nights in the dining rooms that I'm not sure of.

I know my husband will be fine in his everyday "uniform" of khaki pants and nice tropical shirts - but I'm kind of at a loss for myself!

LoveStitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
holula
DIS Veteran

I wear jeans in the dining room every night other than formal/semi formal night. So yes, your outfit would be fine.
Eurodisney/Disneyland Paris: 1997, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2011; Disneyland Resort: 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 (x2), 2011, 2012; Walt Disney World: 2011, 2012 (x2), 2013 (x4), 2014; Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
Disney Wonder: 2012 Alaska, 2013 Bahamas; Disney Dream: 2012 Bahamas (x2); Disney Fantasy: 2013 Eastern, 2014 Western; Disney Magic: 2014 Bahamas (Wedding!), 2014 Southern Caribbean
Hilton Head Island Resort: 2013

Upcoming
Walt Disney World: 2014
Disney Magic: 2015 EB Transatlantic Disney Wonder: 2014 Xmas Western
holula is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveStitch View Post
So, all the descriptions for women say dresses or pantsuits for dinner. I don't wear or own any. Would a nice top/nice pants combination work okay? I have nice khaki, black and white slacks with dressier tops (not dressier like sequins, but dressier like nice business clothes). Would that be okay, or would I look out of place?

I have a couple of dressier dresses that I'm planning on for Palo and Remy - it's the other nights in the dining rooms that I'm not sure of.

I know my husband will be fine in his everyday "uniform" of khaki pants and nice tropical shirts - but I'm kind of at a loss for myself!
Your title says "non formal" do you mean just the regular days? For the cruise-casual nights, I generally wear what I have on during the day (t-shirt/blouse and capri or pants). Dresses and pantsuits would be for the formal, semi-formal, or dress up optional nights.

What you are describing would be fine to wear.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
LoveStitch
Mouseketeer

Oh that sounds good - and I forgot about capris - so capris are okay to wear at dinner? Thanks!

Old 11-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh that sounds good - and I forgot about capris - so capris are okay to wear at dinner? Thanks!
In the MDRs, yes. Not Palo or Remy.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #6
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I was shocked that really anything goes! Didn't see bikini tops but not far off! But it didn't bother us. We like to dress up but everyone is enjoying their vacation their way. It can get a heated topic on these boards though!

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
princess aleya
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Capris are fine to wear in the main dining room

princess aleya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Where are you reading dress or pantsuits? The only thing asked on cruise casual nights in no shorts, tank tops or flip flops. Nothing wrong with jeans, capris, etc..
Old 11-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The "dresses or pantsuits" is on the Palo dress code. Your pants and tops sound fine for the cruise casual nights.

Unfortunately, you'll be among the nicer dressed people. It really has deteriorated to almost "anything goes" in the MDRs.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #10
DisSarahK
Missing Mickey...

Khakis or slacks with a nice top will work beautifully for the main dining rooms. So would capris. You will not feel out of place at all. Do not feel that you need to go out and buy dresses or a pantsuit!

For Palo, I would wear your nicest pair of slacks with your nicest top. Definitely not capris. You will be on the less-dressy side of things but still fine--we saw quite the range of attire when we dined at Palo. I think brunch is the more casual of the meals at Palo.

I can't speak to Remy as the classic ships don't have this restaurant.

DisSarahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:45 AM   #11
LoveStitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
Where are you reading dress or pantsuits? The only thing asked on cruise casual nights in no shorts, tank tops or flip flops. Nothing wrong with jeans, capris, etc..
Well, now I've looked all over, and would you believe (of course you would!) that I can't find where I saw that anywhere!! The packing list on the Disney site says only what you've said - no shorts, tank tops or flip flops in the dining rooms at dinner. And everyone's answers are making me feel so much more comfortable - thank you!

Old 11-02-2012, 07:48 AM   #12
LoveStitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisSarahK View Post
Khakis or slacks with a nice top will work beautifully for the main dining rooms. So would capris. You will not feel out of place at all. Do not feel that you need to go out and buy dresses or a pantsuit!

For Palo, I would wear your nicest pair of slacks with your nicest top. Definitely not capris.
Thank you. Yes, I have a couple of nice dresses I've gotten for weddings in the past that I'm planning on for Palo and Remy, so I'm okay there. They were just a little too formal for casual nights, and I had nothing in-between. But I think I'll be okay from what everyone's said here.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #13
Patrickprincess
HAVE A MAGICAL DAY

dressing for dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisSarahK View Post

For Palo, I would wear your nicest pair of slacks with your nicest top. Definitely not capris. You will be on the less-dressy side of things but still fine--we saw quite the range of attire when we dined at Palo. I think brunch is the more casual of the meals at Palo.

I can't speak to Remy as the classic ships don't have this restaurant.
I ate in Remy druning my september cruise and i saw many of the ladies wearring cocktail type dreses. I will say that NO ONE WAS WEARRING SHORTS!!!!! Yes the palo brunch is less formal than dinner but i wore my red minnine mouse polo type dress. for Remy dinner i wore a dress that i had gotten many years ago. It was a smiple black beadede short leight dress and i paired it with rienstoned heeled shoes. Mabey because the fantasy is still new i noticed that many of the passngers were well dressed for dinner and while some wore shorts they were the dressy type Hopes this helps
2013 WDW Royal Guest @Port Orleans Riverside. 2012WDW @ Royal Guest Port Orleans Riverside Disney Cruise line The Fantasy. 2004 WDW @ Port Orleans French Quarter. 2002 WDW Port Orleans Riverside, Disney cruise line The Wonder.2007 Disneyland@ The Disneyland Hotel. 2006 Disneyland @ The Paradise Hotel. 2000 Disneyland @ The Disneyland Hotel. 1999 1998,1996 Disneyland off sight hotels.
A proud Disney Stockholder
A Proud Seahawk Fan 2014 Super bowl Champions
A Seattle Mariner fan
Patrickprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #14
jillgunter
Mouseketeer

I usually wear some nice linen capri's and a nice top. Or a sundress. Just wear what ever is comfortable for you. I am sure you will be fine. I found some really cute tops at JCPenney on sale today. Great thing about cruising in fall/winter you can get great deals on end of season stuff.

Jill: Mom to a Disney addicted 7 year old!
jillgunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #15
MiaSRN62
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickprincess View Post
I ate in Remy druning my september cruise and i saw many of the ladies wearring cocktail type dreses. I will say that NO ONE WAS WEARRING SHORTS!!!!! Yes the palo brunch is less formal than dinner but i wore my red minnine mouse polo type dress. for Remy dinner i wore a dress that i had gotten many years ago. It was a smiple black beadede short leight dress and i paired it with rienstoned heeled shoes. Mabey because the fantasy is still new i noticed that many of the passngers were well dressed for dinner and while some wore shorts they were the dressy type Hopes this helps
We did both the Palo and the Remy brunch a few weeks ago and we received a voice mail to our stateroom the day before that no shorts were to be worn. I wore dress/khaki type pants and a nice top for Palo and wore a skirt and top for the Remy brunch (which felt more formal to us but we expected that).

MiaSRN62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: