Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
CrawfordMomof2
Mouseketeer

Stateroom near the elevator?

Hi Everyone

We are planning our first cruise. We know that we want an Oceanview stateroom, but we are trying to figure out if being near an elevator is a good thing or a bad thing?

Is it really noisy, or are the rooms well insulated enough? If you are down the hall a ways, how long does it take you to get to an elevator?

Any information or ideas would be a huge help.

Thanks!
CrawfordMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordMomof2 View Post
Hi Everyone

We are planning our first cruise. We know that we want an Oceanview stateroom, but we are trying to figure out if being near an elevator is a good thing or a bad thing?

Is it really noisy, or are the rooms well insulated enough? If you are down the hall a ways, how long does it take you to get to an elevator?

Any information or ideas would be a huge help.

Thanks!
Well, on the classic ships, it's (maybe) 30 seconds from your room to an elevator. Now, how long you may have to wait for said elevator can vary, immediately or 5 minutes. Mid-ship elevators take longer (they're the ones that you can see into the atrium while using them. We've found, if we're just going up or down one or two decks, it's quicker to take the stairs.

We've been just around the corner from the elevators and exactly halfway between mid and aft elevators, and really no noise related to the elevators to speak of.

Haven't done the Dream class ships yet, so don't know how much of that applies to them.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
jennab05
Mouseketeer

Our staterooms were always fairly close to the elevators and weren't in our rooms that much but when we were it wasn't bad as far as noise goes. I don't think I've ever heard anyone after the first day. We're usually in midship staterooms so I am not sure if it varies based on location on the ship or not.
jennab05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

We have not experienced problems with being near the elevators on the Magic or Fantasy. If you have "rude guest" problems, let GS know and they'll make some announcements.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

We have not experienced any issues on the Magic/Wonder near the forward elevators. The one time we were midship on deck 7 we were able to hear people talking on the microphone whenever something was going on in the atrium...art auctions, Golden Mickeys balloon drop, etc. The noise just travels straight up through the shaft.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
rhinodadz
Earning My Ears

We've been right by the elevators and have not had any noise problems. It's very convenient. We generally take the stairs because it's usually quicker (and works off a couple more calories )
rhinodadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
Castaway April
Mouseketeer

We just got off the Dream and were in 8576 which is pretty close to the mid elevators, no problem or noise at all!

Magic Transatlantic 2015 Port Canaveral New York City St John's Reykjavik Oslo Copenhagen
Castaway April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
DisSarahK
Missing Mickey...

We were in 6060 on the Wonder which is directly next to the midship elevators. We definitely could hear quite a bit of corridor noise from people entering the corridor off the lobby area by the elevators. It was fine though because we had a white noise machine for sleeping. We never were awakened by the noise.

We only took the elevators twice during our seven day cruise, so it didn't really matter that the midship elevators tend to be more crowded than other elevators.

DisSarahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #9
CSHaydt
Mouseketeer

We have been near the elevators on both the Wonder and the Dream. We have never had elevator noise to speak of. BUT It's a ship full of kids so yes you hear kids laughing or crying but not more then usual hallway noise.

We prefer to be on the aft side as the two sets of elevators are closer together so that way we can go to either set of elevators and still not be too far from our room. We typically take the steps as well.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
syrumani
Earning My Ears

When I was talking to the TA the other day booking the Magic cruise on May 4, I had mentioned the rooms next to the elevator when she asked what cabin number I wanted (on deck 2). I mentioned a number that was right there at the elevators. She suggested a room just a few doors down from the elevator - only because crowds "could" gather waiting for the elevator, and if I enter/exit room while there is a crowd, they'd see in, etc.

With my luck . . . . that would be right when one the kids would get out of the shower and run to their stuff . . . stark naked. So, I went ahead and got one just down the hall a bit!
Old 11-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #11
CrawfordMomof2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSHaydt View Post
We have been near the elevators on both the Wonder and the Dream. We have never had elevator noise to speak of. BUT It's a ship full of kids so yes you hear kids laughing or crying but not more then usual hallway noise.

We prefer to be on the aft side as the two sets of elevators are closer together so that way we can go to either set of elevators and still not be too far from our room. We typically take the steps as well.
Thanks for the input! I know how the noise level is with kids. I have 2 boys ages 7 and 3. Never a quiet moment in my house. My oldest is autistic, and he can get quite loud if we don't remind him to use his "inside voice".

We love kids, and the reason we decided to go with Disney is because I have heard wonderful things about their youth counselors and how they handle special needs children. With this being a first for our family I don't know how my oldest will fare. He may be scared and want to stay with us the entire time which is fine... but I would like to have dinner one night without the kids.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #12
CrawfordMomof2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrumani View Post
When I was talking to the TA the other day booking the Magic cruise on May 4, I had mentioned the rooms next to the elevator when she asked what cabin number I wanted (on deck 2). I mentioned a number that was right there at the elevators. She suggested a room just a few doors down from the elevator - only because crowds "could" gather waiting for the elevator, and if I enter/exit room while there is a crowd, they'd see in, etc.

With my luck . . . . that would be right when one the kids would get out of the shower and run to their stuff . . . stark naked. So, I went ahead and got one just down the hall a bit!
LOL I'm not the only parent who has to worry about their kids wanting to run out of the bathroom stark naked? Thanks for the input, because I'm not sure I would have thought about that one.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #13
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran

We were in 7044 on the wonder which is right next to the elevator, but the elevator lobby is so big, that I don't think anyone would ever be that close to the door of the rooms. We never heard elevator noise all week.

Me DH DS 5

Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #14
marciemouse
Raised on Disney

We had 7514 on the Wonder, which is the first room around the corner from the forward elevators. I liked that our room didn't open directly into the elevator lobby, but was still incredibly close to the elevators. And the walk aft really wasn't as bad as I anticipated. Maybe 3-4 minutes to get to the Mickey pool or drink station, and that was with our little kids!

Cruisin' With Mickey! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2012 Trip Report

Ramada Maingate February 2014--First time as a family of five! Ramada Maingate July 2013--Last time as a family of four! Ramada Maingate December 2012--Club 33! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera November 2012--We're addicted! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2012--First Cruise! Ramada Maingate September 2011--First Trip as a family of 4! Anaheim Hilton March 2011--Last Trip as a Family of 3! Marriott Anaheim December 2010--Grandpa Jim's First Trip Marriott Anaheim October 2010--Celebrating Our 1 Year Adoption Anniversary Marriott Anaheim July 2010--Isabel's 3rd Birthday Trip Marriott Anaheim May 2010--First Time at Disneyland & First Trip with Isabel! Off Site May 2009--Quick getaway with my two favorite guys, DH and Dad Pop Century September 2008--My first solo trip! Pop Century May 2008--Finally just DH and me again! All Star Sports September 2006--With Dad and The Otters All Star Movies October 2005--Pressed penny collecting trip on the heels of Hurricane Wilma! Off Site December 2004--One last trip with Mom...bittersweet memories Off Site April 2003--With Mom & Dad Off Site May 2000--First trip with DH! And way more trips than I can count while living in Florida and then visiting after we moved!
marciemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #15
WicketsMom
Mouseketeer

Dream #8164

We were on the Dream 10/25-10/28 sailing in cabin #8164. I was very concerned about the noise since our door was visible from the aft stairs/elevator area. However it was not a problem at all. May have been masked some from the other noises and the fact that there is not a mid-ship detective agency picture near those elevators may have helped. There was a lot of traffic to those places during our cruise.

WicketsMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: