Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #76
jpmandan
DIS Veteran

We are going back May 26th to June 2nd. So i'm along for your TR.

Our WDW trips 2002,2003,2006,2007,2008,2009,2011
jpmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #77
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybarbie View Post
Hi Mel, I just tried the recipe for the lava cake yesterday, it came out really well!

Looks yummy! We have those kits to make lava cake at the grocery store, but it obviously doesn't taste as good as it does in restaurants.

That's the only way I agree to watch Fantasmic now, if I can show up 10-15 minutes before it start and just walk in. No waiting in line for 1+ hour for me anymore!

I remember the days when people used to hold up their lighters instead of phone. I would even bring a lighter to shows even though I didn't smoke. The phone version is obviously "healthier", but I find the look of the flame better.
ronnmel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #78
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmandan View Post
We are going back May 26th to June 2nd. So i'm along for your TR.
Thanks for reading along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnmel View Post
Looks yummy! We have those kits to make lava cake at the grocery store, but it obviously doesn't taste as good as it does in restaurants.

That's the only way I agree to watch Fantasmic now, if I can show up 10-15 minutes before it start and just walk in. No waiting in line for 1+ hour for me anymore!

I remember the days when people used to hold up their lighters instead of phone. I would even bring a lighter to shows even though I didn't smoke. The phone version is obviously "healthier", but I find the look of the flame better.
Hi Mel, your trip is so close now! We really enjoy Fantasmic but I wouldn't want to spend 60 minutes + waiting in line for it! I think nearly every other time I've seen it has been as part of the meal package, so we've had the front-of-line passes
That's interesting to know about the lighters rather than smartphones/light up toys before the show starts!

Emma x
disneybarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #79
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Day 4...

Wednesday 10th October 2012

Today we were heading to Animal Kingdom – we got up easily and were at the bus stop by 8.15am.

There was only a couple of other guests there, as well as a Cast Member who seemed to be doing a survey of the buses. A bus came for the Magic Kingdom first, and as it pulled away, he said to us “do you know what hidden Mickeys are? Because I think this is the Hidden Mickey bus!” … we didn't know what he meant, until we saw the back of the bus!

Apparently this is the only bus on property that has Mickey shapes around its brake lights.

Very soon our bus arrived and we were on our way to the park.

We got to Animal Kingdom well before park opening, so we stopped at the coffee kiosk for lattes and an M&M cookie to share... good breakfast!

At 8.50am we were allowed into the park and waited for rope drop in front of the Tree of Life.

Similar to when we visited in August, there was no real opening show like I've seen before – just a senior cast member welcoming everyone to the park and a quick countdown as the ropes are removed. It's a shame if they don't do the rope drop show any more, I really liked it!

First we went to Kilimanjaro Safaris, this nearly always our first attraction at Animal Kingdom!

We had a really excellent safari and saw a lot of animals – our jeep driver was particular good, he told us lots of facts about the animals that I've not heard before! I actually made a note of his name and wrote an email to Disney when we got home mentioning all the great Cast Members we'd encountered.

Next we walked over to Expedition Everest, we got fast passes but then went into the stand-by line as there was practically no wait at all.

We carried on walking around the lake to Dinoland USA, and rode on Dinosaur – we both really enjoy this one!

We stopped to look at this crocodile in Dinoland, I'd not noticed him before.

We walked back to Asia for a second ride on Everest, and then to Kali River Rapids – we didn't get too wet luckily!

Old 12-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #80
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Day 4...

It was nearly 11am by this point so we decided to stop for snack that I'd heard a lot of good things about... jalapeno-stuffed pretzel!

It was very tasty, we'd definitely get one again.

We also got a frozen lemonade so sat and enjoyed that while sitting on a bench for a while.

We were very close to the entrance of It's Tough To Be A Bug, so we went to see the 3D show next. This is such a fun attraction, I really like watching other peoples' reactions to the hornet stings/spiders/bugs exiting!

We did the walking trails next, first was the Maharajah Jungle Trek

I'd never noticed before, but underneath the fruit bat enclosure there are turtles!

Next was the tigers – these two weren't up to very much....

Luckily one of the was awake and moving around!

As we walked back towards Africa we saw Divine...

There was some live performers in Harambe, I hadn't seen them before – the man on the end of the stage was asking me to come and dance as we walked by!

Next we did the Pangani Forest trail...

I wanted to make sure that we saw the Festival of the Lion King show this trip, just in case the rumours are true and it's going to be closing/moving in the near future when Avatarland is made official!

This show is so amazing, definitely a favourite of mine!

By this time we were both ready for lunch, and decided on the Yak & Yeti quick service – DH had orange chicken with rice and I had sweet & sour Chicken with rice. Both were tasty and the portion size is generous.

It was about 2pm and we didn't have anything else we wanted to do in the park, so we decided to head back to the Boardwalk.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #81
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Day 4...

The buses to the Boardwalk make their first stop at the Swan, so we tend to get off there and walk across the bridge back to our resort.

Back in the room, I noticed that mouse-keeping had been and left us a new pile of toiletries!

Again we spent a few hours by the pool, but decided to try out the quiet pool today instead. It was a nice location but overall we quite liked the livelier atmosphere of the main pool!

About 4pm we went over to the pool bar, Leaping Horse Libations, and had a beer while sitting on some rocking chairs.

We went back to the room for a while and got ready for dinner – tonight we didn't have far to go as we were trying Blue Zoo at the Dolphin!

I'd heard a really good review of this restaurant on the WDW Radio Show podcast, and decided that we needed to try it this trip!

We were about an hour early for our reservation, so we checked in and then sat at the bar to have a drink. DH had a beer, and I tried a 'Smoking Sangria' – white sangria with liquid nitrogen smoke on top!

As it cooled the nitrogen turned the sangria into a slushy, and then it gradually melted.

After our drinks we were seated, our server was called Nick and was so attentive – he gave us great recommendations about what to order and knew every detail of the menu.

First we were a selection of freshly made breads, all were delicious but I was trying not to fill up bread!

To start I had scallops that were some of the best I've ever eaten.

DH had a shrimp dish which he quite enjoyed.

For my main dish I had a Hawaiian sea bass – a waitress filleted it tableside which was impressive to watch – unfortunately another waiter bumped into her by accident and one of the fillets broke apart! It didn't matter though as it tasted excellent.

DH had the fish of the day which was sturgeon (I only know this fish from the Little Mermaid song 'Under the Sea'!) - he chose the lobster sauce that our server recommended, and later said that it was the best fish he had ever eaten!

I really liked the décor in the restaurant...

We were both pretty full up but couldn't say no to the dessert menu – especially as our server said the pastry chef was award-winning!

I had one of my favourites, banoffee pie, and DH had vanilla rum millefueille.

Possibly the prettiest banoffee pie I've ever seen!

Overall we loved Bluezoo, the menu was predominantly seafood but there were a lot of meat choices too. The prices are a little high but we were able to use our Tables in Wonderland card (one thing to note is that the Swan & Dolphin resorts do not accept the WDW Key to the World cards for payment, so make sure you have cash/credit cards with you!).
I liked too that nearly all of the food was sourced locally, a list of suppliers was printed on the menu.

We wandered back to the Boardwalk; back in the room we watched some of Modern Family – we love this show and are a few episodes behind in the UK!) then went to bed.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #82
monica23535
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a great opening at AK, we always do the safari first too.

Great pics of the lions!

During my stay at the BC in October, I wandered over to the Dolphin to look around and I came across Bluezoo and made a mental note to come and eat there one day, your food looked amazing
Polynesian CL, DCL Dream & Beach Club Oct 2012

monica23535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:20 PM   #83
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

I am so disappointed they don't do the opening show in AK too! We saw it for the first (and last, I guess) time on our trip last year and it was so cute. I was sad to see it had disappeared this year. Standing at that rope by the tree is just so boring!

You got some really great photos on the Safari, especially of the lions!! You seemed to have had a great morning at AK. We missed the tigers this year, I was so sad!

Your dinner sounds delicious!! Funny, I have never heard of sturgeon except from Under the Sea either.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #84
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybarbie View Post
Hi Mel, your trip is so close now! We really enjoy Fantasmic but I wouldn't want to spend 60 minutes + waiting in line for it! I think nearly every other time I've seen it has been as part of the meal package, so we've had the front-of-line passes
That's interesting to know about the lighters rather than smartphones/light up toys before the show starts!Emma x
10 days!!! I can't believe it. I feel like my ticker has moved so fast!!!

Looks like another very nice day for you guys. It's nice to read about a restaurant we never read about.
ronnmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #85
Isthatyoutiger
DVC Member SSR Jan 2007

AK is awesome
The Safari ride is the best and it looks like you were so close to the Giraffe's in that one picture. Really Cool
Jalapeno Stuffed Pretzel sounds like something my DW would love. Have to try it
Divine is so cool and a must see.
Festival of the Lion King is a great show and a must see every trip for us. If they close it I will be very upset If they do anything I hope they just move it to a new location.
The Smoking Sangria was pretty cool looking
Loving the TR

August 1998 Offsite -August 2000 Wilderness Lodge - December 2001 CBR - June 2003 AKL - December 2004 WL - January 2007 WL (20 yr Anniversary) - Joined DVC SSR Jan 2007
-June 2007 SSR - June 2008 SSR - August 2009 SSR - August 2010 DVC AKL Kidani Village - November 2011 Family B-Day Celebration DVC AKL Jumbo House -
Upcoming Trip - August 2013 BCV & Vero Beach
Isthatyoutiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #86
TanzUnited99
DIS Veteran

Hi Emma!

I've just found your October TR and I'm looking forward to reading along

I love the view from your balcony and it's great that you posted pics of the plants at Epcot as well as the food booths

Wow at being awake for 24 hours!!

Sounds like you had a great time at MK...a shame you couldn't get your score on Buzz Lightyear again!

I love the animal shots at AKL.

The food pics of the F&W festival are making me hungry!

I love AK and you got some great shots of the safari and then of FOTLK.

I'm all caught up and looking forward to hearing more about your October trip.

Tanz
TanzUnited99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #87
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

All caught up now!

How cool is that, that the maker of the perfume was there!

My husband just recently found the jalapeno cheese stuffed pretzel at AK and LOVED it! We tried to find it elsewhere but I guess AK is the only place that sells it?

Bluezoo looks super good! I didn't know they take TiW! We don't have TiW but are thinking about getting it for our next trip since.

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #88
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica23535 View Post
Sounds like a great opening at AK, we always do the safari first too.

Great pics of the lions!

During my stay at the BC in October, I wandered over to the Dolphin to look around and I came across Bluezoo and made a mental note to come and eat there one day, your food looked amazing
Hi! I hope you do get to try Blue Zoo on a future trip, we'd definitely eat there again, it was a great experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
I am so disappointed they don't do the opening show in AK too! We saw it for the first (and last, I guess) time on our trip last year and it was so cute. I was sad to see it had disappeared this year. Standing at that rope by the tree is just so boring!

You got some really great photos on the Safari, especially of the lions!! You seemed to have had a great morning at AK. We missed the tigers this year, I was so sad!

Your dinner sounds delicious!! Funny, I have never heard of sturgeon except from Under the Sea either.
Hi! I hadn't meant to take many photos of the safari.. as I knew later in the trip we'd be going backstage at AK ... but there were so many good photo opportunities that morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnmel View Post
10 days!!! I can't believe it. I feel like my ticker has moved so fast!!!

Looks like another very nice day for you guys. It's nice to read about a restaurant we never read about.
Hi Mel! Hope you had a great trip to WDW for New Year. Blue Zoo was really excellent, I hope others get a chance to eat there - we'd definitely go back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isthatyoutiger View Post
AK is awesome
The Safari ride is the best and it looks like you were so close to the Giraffe's in that one picture. Really Cool
Jalapeno Stuffed Pretzel sounds like something my DW would love. Have to try it
Divine is so cool and a must see.
Festival of the Lion King is a great show and a must see every trip for us. If they close it I will be very upset If they do anything I hope they just move it to a new location.
The Smoking Sangria was pretty cool looking
Loving the TR
Thanks for your comments! We had a really fun day in AK and then a great dinner at Blue Zoo . When I ordered the smoking sangria, DH was a little concerned because the week before there'd been a news story in England about a girl who had inhaled nitrogen from a cocktail, and it had burnt her insides but luckily I was ok

I also hope Festival of the Lion King just gets moved rather than ended, it's an excellent show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzUnited99 View Post
Hi Emma!

I've just found your October TR and I'm looking forward to reading along

I love the view from your balcony and it's great that you posted pics of the plants at Epcot as well as the food booths

Wow at being awake for 24 hours!!

Sounds like you had a great time at MK...a shame you couldn't get your score on Buzz Lightyear again!

I love the animal shots at AKL.

The food pics of the F&W festival are making me hungry!

I love AK and you got some great shots of the safari and then of FOTLK.

I'm all caught up and looking forward to hearing more about your October trip.

Tanz
Hi Tanz! Great to hear from you and thank you for your comments. Do you have any future WDW trips planned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
All caught up now!

How cool is that, that the maker of the perfume was there!

My husband just recently found the jalapeno cheese stuffed pretzel at AK and LOVED it! We tried to find it elsewhere but I guess AK is the only place that sells it?

Bluezoo looks super good! I didn't know they take TiW! We don't have TiW but are thinking about getting it for our next trip since.
Hi Lesha! I was so pleased I got to meet the perfume maker, it was an added bonus since I'd already decided to buy the lotion while we were there... and I ended up with free perfume and a signed photo too!
AK was the only place I saw the jalapeno pretzels.. I think somewhere in MK used to sell them (Skuttle's Landing?) before the Fantasyland expansion began..
Bluezoo was so delicious.. I'd really recommend a TiW card too, even with the increased price ($100 for AP holders/$125 DVC), we've always found it easy to cover the cost within a few meals. It's also valid at many lounges in WDW too and most counter service in AK

Emma x
Old 01-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #89
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

Hi,
Great update and pics.

We enjoyed Bluezoo though it is pricey but the food and ambiance was so nice.

Looking forward to hearing more.
scottny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:47 AM   #90
wannabimagineer
Mouseketeer

What a great review, I'm looking forward to the rest of it! I just might have to try Blue Zoo when we go back to WDW.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: