Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
jeanmonti
Earning My Ears

Nursery - Fantasy

Hi All: We'll be on the Fantasy for 7 nights in December and we're considering leaving our 6 month old in the nursery while we do a Stingray excursion on Grand Cayman. The thought is making me a little uneasy, but I did read others doing it. It would be for about 5 hours. My parents told me I was crazy and since she can't talk she won't be able to tell me what happens. I told them Disney does a great job, but they insisted that I'm nuts. Anyone every have any bad experiences with the Nursery? We've only had positive experiences with all Disney cruise staff members, but just wanted to put this out there for experienced cruisers on some feedback.

Thanks!
jeanmonti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
ericalynn1979
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanmonti View Post
Hi All: We'll be on the Fantasy for 7 nights in December and we're considering leaving our 6 month old in the nursery while we do a Stingray excursion on Grand Cayman. The thought is making me a little uneasy, but I did read others doing it. It would be for about 5 hours. My parents told me I was crazy and since she can't talk she won't be able to tell me what happens. I told them Disney does a great job, but they insisted that I'm nuts. Anyone every have any bad experiences with the Nursery? We've only had positive experiences with all Disney cruise staff members, but just wanted to put this out there for experienced cruisers on some feedback.

Thanks!
I will be honest and say that I won't leave my kids on the ship while I go on an excursion. I'm uber-paranoid and too many "what-ifs" for my heart to relax. More about "what if something happened to me or DH?" than "what if something happened to them when I wasn't there".

I send my kids to daycare everyday, so it's not a matter of me being away from them. More that I'm in a foreign country and would prefer not to.

Your mileage may vary, and there are many others on this board who will leave their little ones in the nursery while they go on excursions. That's fine with me, I personally am not comfortable with it.
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanmonti

Thanks!
Is there a stingray excursion on CC? The wave phones work there so the nursery would be able to reach you and you could easily get back to the ship if you needed to. I only had positive experiences in the nursery but I only left the kids when we were at sea and I left the baby for CC day since I knew I could be reached and get back to the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Pre -Trip Report for August 2014 (In progress)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3215904

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
August 2013 Walt Disney World - Pop Century
DisMom1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
RedxPanda
DIS Veteran

Tell Grandma, is she's so concerned, she should book a cabin on your cruise and babysit.

I wouldn't have a problem leaving the ship with DD in the nursery, if it were only for a couple of hours. To me, 5 seems too long. DD hasn't been away from us with strangers for that long. She used the nursery for 2 hours while we had brunch. Other than that she has always been with family, while we are away. For that reason, we talked 1 set of grandparents into cruising with us in January. I'm happy they agreed to come along, now we can use the nursery for short periods and have extra people for nap duty and toddler swapping on excursions!

Your child is quite young, so I probably wouldn't do this at that age, but we too are looking at a stingray trip in GC for our cruise. We will take DD along with us and take turns in the water, or let her come in with us with floaties. OR chances are, grandma might not be keen on getting in the water w/ stingrays and will use DD as an excuse to stay out . Many of the companies allow small children on board their boats. For that reason, we will be booking outside of DCL for GC.

Past Sailings/Recent Trips
CCL Triumph - 7N E. Caribbean - 12/2006
NCL POA - 7N Hawaii - 3/2010
CBR - 4 Parks 4 Days - 5/2010
Disney Magic - 4N Bahamas - 5/2012 - Trip Report
Disney Wonder - 5N W. Caribbean - 1/28/2013 - CC Review - Trip Report
CCL Dream - 7N W. Caribbean - 6/22/13 - Port Reviews
RedxPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
jeanmonti
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure when you're sailing in Grand Cayman, but I would definitely recommend the Stingray Sailing. (stingraysailing.com) We sailed with them on one of our cruises 3 years ago and can not wait to do it again in Dec. The only allow a small amount of people on their catamaran, so you're not smooshed in like a sardine. We typically do all our excursions with private companies as we prefer the smaller groups and more flexibility. We found Stingray Sailing to be very nice, professional, and reliable.

I know what you mean....I feel like 5 hours is kind of pushing it too. Gotta think about this a little more. Maybe I'll know once we get on the ship and check out the Nursery and its staff.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
Woodmnky
DIS Veteran

Ultimately it is up to you and your partner's decision what to do with your child. I personally have only heard great things about Disney's nursery staff and would have no reason to question leaving my child with them for a short period, however, they are not mommy or daddy. I would be very concerned with leaving a baby that young by themselves on a ship while I was in a foreign country. There are so many what ifs. I know that I may be extra cautious (I've never left my 2 yo for 5 hours, even with family), but I would not do it.

As another post said, you could check out the stingray encounter in CC or possibly look for a non-DCL excursion where you could take your child with you.
Woodmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
blessedmomofboys
Mouseketeer

I left 2 of my kids in the club and 1 kid in the nursery while we did a snorkel excursion in St. Thomas. I had my doubts but I would do it again. My mom had the same reaction as yours but they were fine and well taken care of.

Eta: I would only do this with a dcl sponsored excursion.

John, Heather, Carter (5), Preston (3), and Liam (2)

blessedmomofboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
Happy100
Mouseketeer

It is always hard to figure out what to do with a little one while in ports on your cruise.

I opted out of leaving my son on the ship by himself at age 4 while my hubby and enjoyed an excursion. (It was our first time to this port and we still haven't gone back) I know my son would have been fine but I just wasn't comfortable not b/c I feared for his safety it was more what if my husband and i don't make it back for some mysterious reason. Yes very small chance of that but I knew I would worry and just wouldn't have a good time on the excursion. So I stayed and enjoyed some services in the spa (yay port specials) while my hubby did an excursion of his choosing. I had a wonderful relaxing time and am glad I did it.

If you think you may worry and not have a good time on your excursion I wouldn't go...it just isn't worth it. If you feel like you will be able to enjoy it then go and have fun. It really has to do with your comfort level.

Have a great vacation.

Disney Wonder 8/24/15 "Finally Gold"
Disney Fantasy 3/29/14
Disney Fantasy 12/15/12
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 2/12/12
Disney Magic 7 day Western 10/16/10
Disney Wonder 4 day Bahamas 8/22/09
Happy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanmonti View Post

Thanks!
IMHO, I agree with your parents. Although, I wouldn't use the term "crazy". Personally, I would not feel comfortable leaving a non verbal child in the nursery for 5 hours while I left the ship for an excursion. Someone once posted a link to abuse that happens on cruise ships. I was quite disturbed.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #10
thedonduck
DIS Veteran

Location: From the home of the Pack to the house of the mouse!

I have never had anything but a super positives experience with the on board nursery. Every night we left my 14 week old baby and againon our 5 night when he was 1. My thoughts were that it was no different than at a daycare at home. I always got a full detailed report (just like daycare) about diapers and bottles. I also got pictures with him and characters as well as cute artwork!! I guess all I'm saying is that these are trained providers and can (and will) take good care of your kids
*Magic - Oct. 2009 (Honeymoon) 7 Night Western Caribbean*Wonder - Oct 2010 4 Night Bahamas *Dream - July 2011 5 Night Double Dip *Fantasy - September 2013 7 Night Eastern Caribbean *Magic - April 2014 4 Night Bahamas *Wonder- Oct 2014 4 Night Double Dip *Fantasy- Oct 2015- 7 Night Eastern Caribbean

WDW- Too many times to count
Resorts: POP, All Star Sports, Saratoga Springs, Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Kidani Village, Port Orleans-Riverside

A cheesehead who moved to Mouse World... hope we don't melt
thedonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
DesertGal
Mouseketeer

I know that on our past cruises, we never did excursions or left the ship (except Castaway Cay) because I was always worried about something happening to either my husband or I or one of the kids wanting or needing to be picked up. I don't have any worries about Disney or their competency. My kids were both showered with love and attention and they treated my DD like their own baby when she was young enough for flounders (she was able to do Oceaneers on our last two cruises)
I don't work so we never have had to use daycare. For me, 5 hours is a lot to be away from my kids, especially as a baby but I can reassure you, Flounders is an awesome place for the little ones. They did crafts (in fact on the last day they gave us a huge binder of stuff). We put her in the nursery every night during most of dinner (she ate with us and then went to play) and we left her there for a nap while we went snorkeling on CC

Our dreams come true:
DS Alec 7
DD Olivia 5
DesertGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #12
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I'm not concerned a bit about DCL nursery staff. However, stuff can happen to a child any time, any where. If there is a medical emergency, the medical staff will be called whether or not you can be reached. If your child is fussy and you can't be reached, the CMs will deal with it.

All that said, 5 hours is a long time.

You need to make your decision. It is YOUR decision, not Grandma's. While I wouldn't invite grandma to book a cabin on the ship, I might invite her to care for the child at her home while you enjoy your vacation! But that's me.....others might find that grandma on board is a positive.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #13
sdKT
wonder 9.25.11

i guess i dont see the non-verbal baby issue leaving her there. i left our 9mo for 4 hrs , ok while on ship, but i would do it on excursion. you worry you cannot be contacted/or be late to ship i think as hte main problem.
We just dragged our baby with us last time on shore/excursions.
if they go to daycare then 5 hrs is a lot shorter then a typical day.
If you dont feel comforable, then reschedule your excursion or skip it.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #14
jeanmonti
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmomofboys View Post
I left 2 of my kids in the club and 1 kid in the nursery while we did a snorkel excursion in St. Thomas. I had my doubts but I would do it again. My mom had the same reaction as yours but they were fine and well taken care of.

Eta: I would only do this with a dcl sponsored excursion.
How long were you gone for and how old were your kids??
Old 11-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #15
SnowWhite2
DIS Veteran

I guess I look at it differently. I would rather have my child on board and have a medical issue than on an island in a foreign country. If they get hurt on an excursion, I wouldn't want them going to a hospital or doctor in a foreign country. It happened to my dad and it was not a pleasant experience. He had trouble walking and they kept telling my mom that it was his head and wanted to do Xrays of his head. He had an embolyism in his leg which was swollen. Of course, no treatment until a payment of $1000, cash no credit cards.

Keep the kid on the ship if it makes you feel better.

December 28, 2014 NYE Magic
November 10, 2014 Dream double-dip
June 9, 2014 Alaska Wonder
December 28, 2013 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2012 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2011 NYE Dream
December 26, 2009 NYE Magic
December 20, 2008 Christmas Magic
February 2, 2008 Eastern Magic
February 3, 2007 Eastern Magic
April 15, 2006 Western Magic
February 2003 Eastern Magic