Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #31
STLEdge
Mouseketeer

Count me in on the verandah crew - we've only taken two cruises, and had one for both, so I can't compare, but I also can't envision cruising without it. I love to read out there, both day time and because I'm more of a night owl than the rest of my family, I use it to have a space I can sit and read after the rest of the family has gone to bed.

The OP's kids are about two years older than mine, but on our last cruise, 7 days, we did spend some time in the room where the kids would watch a movie, my wife would nap and I would sit outside and read - it's nice to have that little bit of extra space sometimes.

But most of the posters hit the nail on the head - only you can determine whether the cost is worth it to you. The posters give a wide range of opinions and the reasons why people think one is worth it or is not worth it to them.
STLEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #32
tgropp
DIS Veteran

I could never cruise without having a balcony room. After waking up in the morning, We usually spend an hour out there having our morning coffee. Then before dinner from 4-6, we usually have a couple glasses of wine and relax. Then for an hour beforre bedtime, we sit out there and have a Baileys before bed. What a way to relax before going to bed. We always spend between 3-4 hours a day on the balcony. But different strokes for different folks.
Feb 2012: DCL Mexican Riviera Cruise Dec 2011: VWL/BCV
Christmas 2010: VWL
Nov 2009: BC Villas Dec 2008: VWL/AKV/ Dolphin
Dec 2007: BWV/VWL Feb 2007: Dolphin/DCL Eastern cruise/OKW/VWL
Christmas/New Years 2005: WL/Dolphin
Dec 2002: AKL/WL
Christmas/New years 2000: BC/WL Christmas/New Years 1998: WL/BC
Christmas 1996:WL Junior Suite Christmas 1994: WL
Dec 1992:CBR Dec1989, April 1983, Jan 1980: OffSite
tgropp is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #33
ranidayz
DIS Veteran is a....... Caribbean Amphibian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy drew
We are looking at booking our first cruise, and I cannot decide on what type of room to book. We will be one adult and 2 kids, age 7 and 9. I tend to get seasick but have never been on a cruise so I'm not sure how it will be on a ship. We won't be sailing during hurricane season.

So how important is a verandah?
We had a veranda with our first cruise. It was nice and good for sunscreen application. By the second cruise I grew concerned that my little lest would figure a way to open the door. We didn't wind up getting a veranda ever again..... The whole ship is a veranda!😎
ranidayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #34
SG101
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodmnky View Post
We have cruised multiple times in both an inside cabin and in a veranda cabin. In the Caribbean I am fine with or without a veranda. Yes, we like them and use it some but we would just find other things to do if we weren't on our veranda. Honestly, on Disney I would rather have one of the family oceanview cabins with the large porthole. You get the same view, lots of space, and save some money.

I will say that having cruise in Alaska there is no way that I would do that cruise without a veranda. There was so much to see all of the time that we would have missed a lot if we didn't have a veranda.
I completely agree with this person ---- I think next time I will get one of those family oceanview cabins with the large porthole, but I heard Alaska is a must for a verandah and that's where I would splurge.
* Disney Wonder 7 Days Mexican Riviera April 2011
* Disney Fantasy 7 Days Western Caribbean Feb 2013
* Disney Wonder 7 Days Alaska June 2014 (We're finally Gold!!!)
* Disney Wonder 5 Days San Diego October 2015
SG101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #35
collectoraholic
Is it time to sail yet?

We like a verandah, but is it a MUST HAVE? For most cruises, no. But I'd say for an Alaskan cruise (which we have not done), definitely get one. For a Panama Canal cruise (which we HAVE done), definitely get one. For a Med Cruise (which we HAVE done), it's nice to have, but not necessarily necessary, if that makes sense. We enjoyed having it on the Med Cruise (& we've booked another verandah for next year's Med cruise) so we can see the ports as we sail in and sail out and such.

That's my take on it, but only you can truly decide.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #36
jillgunter
Mouseketeer

We have had one, one time. We really enjoyed it. Its nice first thing in the morning to go out and maybe take some pictures. We cruised into St Lucia once, and was able to get up at 5:30 am to take pictures coming into St Lucia of the Pitons (two twin mountains). It was neat! We plan to sit on it in the evenings late after DD goes to bed and I can have some wine or a cocktail.

Jill: Mom to a Disney addicted 7 year old!
jillgunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #37
SnipsNSnails
DIS Veteran

I have cruised many times but have never had one. My parents always get one. When we sail in February, just me, my boys, and my parents, we got the family w/ balcony on the Magic so we could all stay together and because we were doing the KSF offer. It was cheaper than even booking two inside rooms. So this will be my first time. Last time we cruised the boys were 6 months and 3yr and my parents had a balcony, my family an outside. I would take the baby to their room for his nap so I could sit on the balcony and read. He's 3 now but still naps unless he stops by Feb. and I imagine it will be the same. It's nice to have a space where the adults can sit and chat without disturbing the sleeping chil(ren) at night, in the morning, or during nap. There are locks up high on the balcony doors so I'm not too concerned about them getting out there and really, I expect that we won't be splitting up too much so I can't forsee any situations where there won't be an adult in the cabin area with them.

7/1996 - CBR, 12/1998 - BC, 12/2008 - Pop DDP, 9/2011 - CBR DDP, 2/2013 - DCL Magic, 6/2013 - DL BWPPI
4 Generations Do WDW - Sept 2011 Trip Report
SnipsNSnails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #38
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I've done it with and without a verandah. I get horribly motion sick in small boats, car back seats, etc. but the ship is fine!

OK, whether we have a verandah or not does change some of what we do on the cruise. With a verandah, we are more likely to be in our cabin enjoying our "private space" while without it, we are more likely to be found on a public open deck. We've also had verandahs when we couldn't enjoy them--once it was 106 degrees (way too hot to be out there), other times it has been too cold or rainy. It is sad to pay for a verandah and then not be able to enjoy it.

Your best locations for motion sickness are midship and as close to the water line as possible. All verandah cabins are significantly above the water line. Some people respond best with fresh air or seeing the outside, others do best if they cannot see the horizon (as motion sickness is in part a difference between what your vestibular system is experiencing compared to what your eyes are telling you.

Bottom line--you decide. We liked the virtual porthole on the Fantasy!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #39
TFTM
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerl30 View Post
We prefer the verandah, but we thoroughly enjoyed cruising without it too.
When we had a teenager in the dropdown bed in front of the verandah it was difficult to navigate around them for morning coffee.

Therefore, on cruises with teenagers we get two rooms inside. GREAT sleep in the inside cabins. Best I've ever had. Wake up, sit on deck. Get to see both sides of the ship.
TFTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #40
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all of the thoughtful replies!

I definitely would get a verandah for an Alaska cruise, absolutely! And there are excellent points about what would happen if one kiddo gets sick. I'd like to be able to still be outside if we were stuck in our room. I think a verandah will probably be a good choice for us. Thanks!!

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #41
WicketsMom
Mouseketeer

This was my first time with a verandah on the Dream 'Hurricane' cruise and it helped keep me sane as it was the ONLY place I could sit out and see the ocean (at least for a portion of the trip).

If you are prone to seasickness, I would avoid an inside cabin. I'm a dive instructor so have spent alot of time on smaller boats where you feel the motion a lot more and as soon as anyone goes down below to "lie down" you know what's coming next! Being able to keep your eyes on the horizon helps also.

We used Bonine on this trip, including for my five-year old son (half a tablet for him) and it worked fine and I did have a few drinks as well. I always advise my students to try it at home first as many others have suggested. Different medications affect people differently and the time to find out it doesn't isn't when you are already on the ship.

WicketsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #42
geoffrey
Mouseketeer

We are big fans of INSIDE cabins. Love how dark they are at night!

We were upgraded to a veranda on one cruise. We rarely used it. A couple of things that didn't work for us. The layout of the room seems better on the inside cabins. The main bed is in the back of the room in the inside cabins. You are constantly walking around the bed in the veranda rooms. Also, seemed like every time we went out onto the veranda, someone upwind from us was smoking. I mean every time. It was never enjoyable to sit outside. I think it would be better if you were as close to the front of the ship as possible to minimize smoke.

To each his own. But it is OK to like the inside cabins as well
geoffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:22 PM   #43
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

I haven't yet cruised Disney, but have cruised before in an inside, outside and verandah.
From those experiences, I know that I could never cruise again without at least some natural light. But I'm 'take it or leave it' as far as the verandah is concerned. If the price increase was small (i.e a couple of hundred dollars) then yes, I'd probably upgrade. But there is no way I would pay the thousands of dollars some people do just to have a bit of outside space. I'd much rather put those extra $$ towards spa treatments and extra cocktails. :-)
On my cruise on the Fantasy next year I have booked one of the 8A outside cabins with the dividing wall. I have emailed Disney to request no upgrades, even though an upgrade would mean a verandah. I guess two TV's and the extra inside space is also more important to me than a bit of outdoor space.

WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #44
MiaSRN62
DIS Veteran

I have cruised with portholes and verandahs and much prefer the verandah. When our kids were little, it was nice to tuck them in at night and while they were falling asleep just sit out on the deck with my husband.
Love the early morning sunrises in my jammies out there too....

And I will confess a big fear of mine now. I know it is so remote, but if I ever got quarantined to my cabin for any reason (and I've read about several over the years on these boards), I would certainly feel the verandah would provide me with some fresh air and sanity. Now I realize that is totally a remote thought...but one never knows ?!

MiaSRN62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:31 PM   #45
Golden Rose
Princess by Choice

It sounds like you've probably made your choice, but I will add that I think that for a certain type of cruiser, a veranda is almost essential. Some people love to be out in public spaces chatting and interacting with other people, and some people need a quiet place to get down time and spend a lot of time in their room.

Even when we were younger and didn't feel like we could always afford verandas, we spent a lot of time in our room reading or having quiet time together. We don't get that in our daily lives, and so, for us, that was one of the pleasures of going on vacation together. We'd have loved to get verandas then, we just didn't feel like we could afford them.

Now that we're older and have kids, we won't cruise without one. On our last cruise, we spent a huge amount of time on our balcony, several hours a day. When traveling with a child who naps, which we are at the moment, and have been for many of our cruises, it becomes a necessity for us. We can relax on our balcony during naptime, and still feel like we're enjoying our vacation.

It's very much a personal choice. Are you equally comfortable relaxing on a lounge chair in a public space and relaxing on your own balcony?

(me) (DH) (DS 8) (DD 3) (4 cats) (52 fish) (and a frog)
Golden Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: