Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #16
baleeve
"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere -- I want it more than I can tell

On our 4 day Dream cruise in August 2013 a verandah was only $240 more over an inside cabin. It was a no brainer even though my 8 & 10 year old wanted the magical porthole.

Its a small indulgence that I feel I deserve.

However If it was much more $$$ I would say skip it and splurge elsewhere

Dance Team WDW Jul 80 Navy Graduation EPCOT Mar 88 Disneyland Mom 1 day trip April 88 Carnival Jubilee Aug 91 MK 1 day Mom Mar 95 Johns 1st visit POR Apr 96 WDW FWC Trip with Papa Sep 97 WDW FWC Family trip Dec 98 WDW POFQ/FWC - Work trip Mar 01 Sovereign of the Seas Sept 00 Owens 1st visit FWCG March 03 WDW 8 months prego w/Brady Jan 05 Carnival Fantasy Jun 07 WDW 1 day AK trip Mom Jan 08 Brady's 1st visit/Mardi Gras POFQ Feb 09 First Xmas at WDW/1st year remission celebration POP Dec 10 WDW AKL 4th yr remission celebration Aug 13 Magic/LBV/DTD Feb 2014
baleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #17
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMissy View Post
We've cruised twice (not on disney), both without a verandah and it was fine. However, we're now 5 people so our next cruise will be with one. I've priced both (2 cabins or a larger one with the verandah) and it's cheaper just getting the room with one. It'll be nice having it too I think....something different. Good luck!
I think it is always cheaper for 5 people to get two 11C rooms than a family with a verandah. On the dream and fantasy, there is a family class without the verandah that is cheaper (outside with porthole). except for deals like Kids sail free, because then you end up paying for 2 of the kids if you get 2 rooms.
Summerl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #18
JohnathanS
Mouseketeer

As others have said, everyone is different and has different priorities. We won't book a verandah on short (3-4 day) cruises, but for 5+ days, we really enjoy having it. It is a perfect place to get away on crowded sea days!

Also, for motion-sickness, please don't assume bonine won't make you drowsy-- it knocks me out! Most "non-drowsy" medications do have the potential to cause drowsiness, and the most common side effect of meclizine (Bonine) is drowsiness.

The best thing to do is try these OTC remedies before you leave. That way, you will know of any adverse side effects before your cruise! For me, prescription Scopalomine is the only way to go. It causes me no drowsiness, but does dry my mouth and dilates my pupils (sunglasses are a must). But it doesn't work well for everyone and some have more serious reactions. Once again, we all can have different reactions to different medications, and it is best to know of these in advance of your trip.

Have fun!!
Old 11-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #19
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

Thanks! I guess I can get sea bands at the drug store too? I am heading to buffalo in a few weeks so I will try to pick some up while I am there.
Summerl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #20
rhinodadz
Earning My Ears

Another vote for "definitely yes" on the verandah. It's great for a before dinner beverage or coffee in the morning while the rest of the crew is getting ready. I'll do some reading out there just watching the ocean pass by. It's also cool (in a geekish way) to be on the verandah watching docking/undocking operations if you're on the correct side of the ship.
rhinodadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #21
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerl30
Thanks! I guess I can get sea bands at the drug store too? I am heading to buffalo in a few weeks so I will try to pick some up while I am there.
I couldn't find them before we sailed but they were readily available on the ship in their store. On the Wonder it was Treasure Ketch.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #22
SG101
Mouseketeer

It would be a waste of money for my family as we never spent time in the room. I did want to read one day and found myself on a lounge chair on Deck 4 on the Wonder looking out at rocks in Cabo San Lucas, and I didn't have to spend a dime on a verandah.

Just depends on how much time you want to spend in the cabin.
* Disney Wonder 7 Days Mexican Riviera April 2011
* Disney Fantasy 7 Days Western Caribbean Feb 2013
* Disney Wonder 7 Days Alaska June 2014 (We're finally Gold!!!)
* Disney Wonder 5 Days San Diego October 2015
SG101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #23
sdKT
wonder 9.25.11

we love having a verandah. that said, for the $$ - this is the first time i decided against it. we've sailed with both kids before, and the room square footage is actually larger if u just do a window, not verandah cuz they include that as your room footage, where its not really liveable space, if that makes sense.

so if u have $, do it. if not, put it twd something else.
with kids we are out n about a LOT, so u can see the ocean from other decks.
sdKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #24
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

While we don't actualy use our verandah much, I consider it very important. I'm claustrophobic, and just having that access to the outside is huge. We'll be on the starboard side for our next cruise, so I'm hoping to sit outside and watch as we pull into and out of port at least once. Since it'll be a 7-day cruise, I'd also like to have breakfast out there once.

I suffer from seasickness as well, but I take Bonine and that does the trick. I've found that 1 in the morning, starting the day before we leave home, works like a charm for me. I have never had an side effects, and I do drink alcohol (1 or 2 beers or glasses of wine with dinner).

Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Lisa Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #25
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

First off, I am very prone to motion sickness (cars, buses, planes, boats, you name it).
Our first cruise was on deck 5 on the Wonder and I had no problems with motion sickness. I did take bonine the night before we embarked and twice the first day and then stopped because I couldn't even feel the ship moving (July 2002). In all our cruises we have never had a cabin below deck 5 and despite rough seas I was fine with taking bonine

My DH, DS18 and DD15 all love the verandah. They will stand out there and watch the waves. I could take it or leave it most cruises, except I was really glad we had it for the Panama Canal cruise. So longer scenic cruises the verandah is definitely worth it IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanS View Post
As others have said, everyone is different and has different priorities. We won't book a verandah on short (3-4 day) cruises, but for 5+ days, we really enjoy having it. It is a perfect place to get away on crowded sea days!

Also, for motion-sickness, please don't assume bonine won't make you drowsy-- it knocks me out! Most "non-drowsy" medications do have the potential to cause drowsiness, and the most common side effect of meclizine (Bonine) is drowsiness.

The best thing to do is try these OTC remedies before you leave. That way, you will know of any adverse side effects before your cruise! For me, prescription Scopalomine is the only way to go. It causes me no drowsiness, but does dry my mouth and dilates my pupils (sunglasses are a must). But it doesn't work well for everyone and some have more serious reactions. Once again, we all can have different reactions to different medications, and it is best to know of these in advance of your trip.

Have fun!!
Ok, I guess I am lucky that the bonine doesn't make me sleepy, even with a sailaway drink
I do agree trying it out at home before you cruise is a good idea

My experience is that bonine works fast for me and I don't need it in my system for days in advance I just take it with breakfast the morning of our cruise and maybe again at dinner if I am feeling the ship's motion alot. After that I take it as needed. I have tried ginger capsules in the past and they worked really well after you feel sick. But I have heard they can react with some blood pressure meds, so you need to check with your pharmacist or doctor first before taking ginger. (Ginger capsules have no taste unlike the candy which can have a very strong taste.)

Oh, and I do have to remember to take bonine ashore for excursions that involve small boats

Good luck
Old 11-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #26
DesertGal
Mouseketeer

We have cruised in an inside cabin, a porthole and a verandah. I felt a bit more motion sick in the inside room but not sure if it was because of that or just rougher seas.

I loved the porthole (both were pixie dust) but we would at least do a 10b for the split bath if we chose inside.

We picked a verandah because we were cruising for a special occasion and it was a great itinerary. We used our balcony a lot. We have small kids and would sit out there during nap time and when they went to bed. We ate breakfast out there each morning too. We probably spend more time than most in our room because our kids need to be in bed by around 9

Our dreams come true:
DS Alec 7
DD Olivia 5
DesertGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #27
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

I only go out on my verandah to watch pier runners. DH stays out there a lot and so does my best friend when I cruise with him. Otherwise, I don't care about it; I prefer a really dark room to sleep in!
Old 11-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #28
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

Let me start by saying that we only do Verandah's and that my DW would be very upset not to have one. With that, consider your inside cabin to a hotel room on the ocean. You do have two windows or a large window. Does that work for you? With you and two kids, there might not be that much time you are not doing activities out of your room. Do you like to read? Do your kids require little maintenance? Is there a possibility of ME time? These are all reasons you might look at a Verandah.

Good thing is that you have never had one so you wouldn't know what you are missing. You can't lose when you get to cruise! Unless you are in a hurricane of course.........

2014 - 5 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Fantasy, 1-Magic
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-7, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-4:
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 10, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(24) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #29
Wendilou
Earning My Ears

I have been on 2 cruises without a verandah. I have one booked a verandah for our upcoming DCL cruise. I don't see us cruising again without one. It depends on why you cruise and what you want out of the cruise. On our 2 previous cruise, DH and I spent all free time on the ship under the lifeboats where we could just sit, listen to the waves and see the ocean. This is why we like cruising, to just relax. Many people cruise because all that goes on on the ship. If you don't plan on being in the room, I can't see spending the extra $ on one.

Our last cruise, I got seasick. I wished that I had a verandah because I felt my best looking out at the water but didn't like being far from my bathroom so I spent most of the day in my room. Later that cruise my youngest child got a virus and was confined to the room for almost 48 hours. Even at 6 years old, she would have love to be able to see outside at the port instead of seeing nothing but our inside room. We decided then not to cruise unless we have a verandah.

Wendilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #30
Woodmnky
DIS Veteran

We have cruised multiple times in both an inside cabin and in a veranda cabin. In the Caribbean I am fine with or without a veranda. Yes, we like them and use it some but we would just find other things to do if we weren't on our veranda. Honestly, on Disney I would rather have one of the family oceanview cabins with the large porthole. You get the same view, lots of space, and save some money.

I will say that having cruise in Alaska there is no way that I would do that cruise without a veranda. There was so much to see all of the time that we would have missed a lot if we didn't have a veranda.
Woodmnky is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: