Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

How important is a verandah?

We are looking at booking our first cruise, and I cannot decide on what type of room to book. We will be one adult and 2 kids, age 7 and 9. I tend to get seasick but have never been on a cruise so I'm not sure how it will be on a ship. We won't be sailing during hurricane season.

So how important is a verandah?

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
zstyles
Mouseketeer

We wouldn't have done it without our verandah, we spent actually more time in our room than expected and were so glad we could enjoy the ocean..it won't make or break your vacation but does add that little extra "special touch" if its not something you think you MUST HAVE don't book it and just ask at port if they have any upgrades available and see if its a last minute splurge you want to move into!
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

I wouldn't bother much with it. For sea sickness, 2nd deck midship is best. THe kids beds are closest to the verandah, which doesn't really work for me. Some wouldn't cruise without it. We have done both (never with kids). We prefer the verandah, but we thoroughly enjoyed cruising without it too. It just pans out to weather you want to pay for it or not, I guess. We are getting two inside adjoining rooms for cheaper than the family room with verandah (there are 5 of us). Definitely not worth it for us this time!
Summerl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
tajz90
Mama D

We hardly ever use the verandah. We book it thinking we will spend a lot of time on it and always leave feeling like we didn't enjoy it enough.
tajz90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

We've cruised twice (not on disney), both without a verandah and it was fine. However, we're now 5 people so our next cruise will be with one. I've priced both (2 cabins or a larger one with the verandah) and it's cheaper just getting the room with one. It'll be nice having it too I think....something different. Good luck!
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
All Star Sports...2/2015 (just me and hubby)
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
purplegirl247
I joined for reason A
It got a little better the higher we got
I'll come back and quote everyone individually

Agree with Summer. For those who tend to get seasick, we've found deck 2 midship to be best. We got our porthole, so didn't feel claustrophobic, but we didn't feel nearly as much rocking there as we did when we were forward and/or on a higher deck on prior cruises.

P.S. We popped a non-drowsy bonine every morning of our cruise, and we were fine (Hubby is prone to seasickness)...and we were on the crazy Sandy-Fantasy sailing last week!
purplegirl247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

Where can you buy bonine? We are worried about our oldest daughter (8). DH and I are fine on ships.
Summerl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
ludari
DIS Veteran

If you have concerns or get sea sick mid ship is ideal. I particular don't think a verandah is necessary as long as you can get a large enough stateroom for your family. I usually do not spend a lot of time in my stateroom so IMPO a verandah would go do waste. However, I do prefer having a window for the natural light and to check out the daily weather.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015
ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #9
Angelic Jennifer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerl30 View Post
Where can you buy bonine? We are worried about our oldest daughter (8). DH and I are fine on ships.
I found it at Walgreens. I believe most pharmacies will carry it .. Just ask if you can't find it!
Old 11-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #10
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Loved my verandah on both cruises. I'm not a person who likes to be out and about all day. I like spending some time by myself out on the verandah. It was especially handy when my son was sleeping and I wanted to get some fresh air.

For sea sickness I recommend sea bands. I was not a believer prior to our last cruise. My son got very sea sick and I have him both over the counter (Meclizine) and prescription (Zofran) for it and neither did much good. The sea bands are the only thing that helped. He even would remember to ask me for them when he started to feel a little sick and told me they really helped. He said he had no problems after he had them on. I got some too and they really made a difference. I was very surprised how well they worked.

The other thing that helped my son was stepping out on the verandah to get some fresh air and focus on the horizon.

For a multi sea day cruise I'd definitely get a verandah again. For a very port intensive cruise with maybe one or 2 sea days I'd get an ocean view if cost was an issue.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #11
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Got a free upgrade to a Verandah. 9 cruises, first with a Verandah. Used it, loved it, but even our kids agreed, it wasn't worth what it would have cost if we had to pay for it. We always get an Ocean view. We're out on the deck so much, didn't need it.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #12
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

That is a question only you can answer. Some people really love verandahs and won't cruise without them. Others barely use them or don't book them because they aren't worth it to them (or they just prefer the other rooms).

I am a verandah person. It is a huge part of the cruise experience to me. I love sitting in my own little personal space with a glass of wine and just watching the ocean. I can sit on my verandah for hours and be totally happy. Whenever we are back at the room, I always go immediately to the verandah door, open it and step outside for a bit. When I'm waiting for people to get ready, I'm out on the verandah. When dh is napping, I'm on the verandah. So for me, the answer to the question is yes, it is very important.
But only you can answer that question for you, I'm afraid.
Best of luck with your decision
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #13
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskigrl View Post
That is a question only you can answer. Some people really love verandahs and won't cruise without them. Others barely use them or don't book them because they aren't worth it to them (or they just prefer the other rooms).

I am a verandah person. It is a huge part of the cruise experience to me. I love sitting in my own little personal space with a glass of wine and just watching the ocean.
Ditto for me, but just change "glass of wine" to "cocktail"!

I think a verandah is essential for Alaska. What you can see from your own private viewing area without jockeying for position with everyone else to see the glacier is worth it on its own. But I agree, only you can answer that question. Do what is best for you!

twopeasonepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #14
jennab05
Mouseketeer

We get a verandah Everytime and I use it maybe for all of 3 minutes when checking out my room for the first time.... However my mom and dad like sitting out on it. I'm never in the room unless I'm sleeping so that could be why too. I guess it depends on how much time u spend in your room.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #15
capshockeygrl
Mouseketeer

I'm with the folks that like the private time the verandah allows them. One of my favorite things to do is sit there with a good book and a nice view of the ocean.

capshockeygrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: