Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
Belle4
Mouseketeer

Any Maya Chan families?

I was getting ready to book Maya Chan yesterday until the owner sent me the invoice asking for full payment ahead of time. I am a little concerned about paying upfront. I know there have been rave reviews of this place but now I am second guessing my decision. Wondering if another option would be better for us. Any recent families visit? How far is it from the cruise ship? We will be travelling with my 2 1/2 year old son that loves both the beach and the water. Thinking about picking another location instead, maybe Nohoch Kay?
Belle4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
Quest1350
Earning My Ears

Re: Maya Chan

I can't speak for the experience at Maya Chan or Nohach, as I have not been, but I thought I would share my experience with Maya Chan. My family purchased the Maya Chan in advance of our cruise last year (which another line). During the entire process, the owner was very nice to deal with and we had no problems. I believe they bill through Paypal in advance.

Unfortunately for us, we had to bypass the port on that trip due to the wind and ability to dock the ship. Within 2 days, we had a full refund in our account from Maya Chan since we missed the port.

I just wanted to mention that to show that through my limited experience, they seem to be very honest in their dealings. I believe they charge in advance just to protect themselves from guests that in the past would show up and pay that day, then dispute the charge and leave Maya Chan with no payment.

We fully intend to try them again during our Fantasy cruise this spring!
Quest1350 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
Goofy559
Cruise Junkie

I have been to Maya Chan twice. Steve, the owner, is fabulous. if your ship doesn't dock, you get a refund. The food is great, the bathrooms are clean and the staff all want to ensure that you have a good time. they have a scavenger hunt for the kids that is a lot of fun.

Disney Cast Member 1985 (Canadian Pavillion at Epcot) and 20+ Disney World visits
MV Britnannis 1982 no stabilizers!, MV Bolero -- Transatlantic -- 1991 and A bunch of others with my dad , Carnival 3-night Bahamas 2004, Disney Magic W Carib 2005, 2007, 2009, Med 2010, Sun Princess S Carib 2006, Adventure of the Seas S Carib 2008, Coral Princess Alaska 2008, Wonder 3-day bounceback 2009, Diamond Princess 16 night SE Asia Mar 2010, Disney Dream MV - Jan 2011, Allure of the Seas - Mar 2011, Disney Dream June 2011, Disney Fantasy MV - Mar 2012, Magic to Canada -Aug 2012, Wonder - California Oct 2012, Fantasy to San Juan - Mar 2013, Royal Princess MV - 21 days in Europe

[
Goofy559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
Woodmnky
DIS Veteran

We booked Maya Chan on our last cruise, however, the night before we were to be there my son came down with a respiratory infection. There was no way I was taking a 1 year old off the ship. I wasn't expecting a refund (and didn't ask for one), but I wanted to let Steve know that we wouldn't be going so they could give our spot to someone else if there was interest. Before we returned from the cruise I had a refund and a note from Steve saying he was sorry we weren't able to visit them and asking about how my son was doing.

I would book Maya Chan again in a heartbeat.
Woodmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran

Do they have a website?

GetGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
MaryLou1962
LoveMyBoys

http://costamayabeachresort.com/
MaryLou1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
tink,too
DIS Veteran

We visited in April and had a great time. The staff were helpful and attentive but were not intrusive. The lunch was delicious and there was plenty to do if you had had enough of relaxing in your palapa.

If we ever visit Costa Maya again, we will definately book another day at Maya Chan.
tink,too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
Belle4
Mouseketeer

Thanks! Due to the few favorable comments in regards to the payment, I went ahead and booked the excursion. The owner did indicate full payment would be returned if we were unable to make it to the island. He even offered to decrease the upfront costs but I went ahead and paid in full. Less cash to have to worry about.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
Debs Hill
DIS Veteran

We have booked to go on Xmas Day and they could not have been more helpful and friendly. Can't wait!
debsx
Debs Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #10
katiemugs2
Earning My Ears

We are going here on our cruise in 3 weeks! Very excited for this excursion!
Old 11-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #11
splashmommy
SplashMommy

We were just at Maya Chan on Tuesday, October 30 and all I can say is WOW!!!! The resort is about 20 minutes from the port. From the moment you arrive, until the moment you leave you receive exceptional service. Beautiful beach and the lunch is fabulous!! I was also a little hesitant about paying in advance, but after communicating with the owner via email and all the positive reviews I paid via PayPal and never gave it another thought. Go to Maya Chan....you will not be disappointed.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #12
1craftymom
Earning My Ears

I have not been yet but booked for our November 10th cruise on the Magic. I read numerous reviews on this site & another site. My dealings so far(via email) with them have been great. They have responded very quickly with any question I had. I will try to remember to post a review when I return.
1craftymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #13
MinnesotaMouse
Mouseketeer

Is there time....?

I think Maya Chan Beach looks awesome! However, I see our Costa Maya port stop is only from 1pm - 5:30pm. Would we even have time to enjoy this beautiful place? It seems like it might be almost 2 o'clock when we arrive there, and I suppose we wouldn't dare stay much later than 4:30pm if we are supposed to be back on the ship by 5:30?

Has anyone else visited this beach with such a short window of time?
MinnesotaMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:57 PM   #14
gilsan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashmommy View Post
We were just at Maya Chan on Tuesday, October 30 and all I can say is WOW!!!! The resort is about 20 minutes from the port. From the moment you arrive, until the moment you leave you receive exceptional service. Beautiful beach and the lunch is fabulous!! I was also a little hesitant about paying in advance, but after communicating with the owner via email and all the positive reviews I paid via PayPal and never gave it another thought. Go to Maya Chan....you will not be disappointed.
We were there with you too! It was a fantastic day, I think there was 15 of us total. The beach was great, good food and lots of drinks. You will not be disappointed.

They gave out trophies to the kids for sand castles. My daughter was thrilled!

2009 POFQ, 2010 Grand Floridian, 2011 Wilderness Lodge, 2012 BC/Dream Cruise/Poly, 2012 Halloween Fantasy Cruise, 2013 AKV, 2014 SSR/Eastbound Transatlantic Cruise2015 Eastbound Transatlantic Mmmm....Cake, 9 nights of Deluxe Dining w/Pictures
gilsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:55 AM   #15
Belle4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashmommy
Thanks for posting! I figured I couldn't go wrong after reading all the reviews here and on tripadvisor. Glad you had a good time!! Looking forward to a relaxing beach day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: