Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
FlyingDumbo
DIS Veteran

Extreme Cheapskates

Anyone watch last night? I caught a marathon. I was disappointed to see that some of them were just outright thieves and moochers. Others had some good tips and ways to stretch a dollar. The guy who got the 14 samples of ice cream was horrible! Digging popcorn bags and soda containers out of the trash to get refills. I would be embarrassed to go anywhere with that man. I actually enjoyed watching the girl who dumpster dives, not my thing but hey, works for her.
FlyingDumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side

I LOVE THAT SHOW.

A lot of the people on there do things that are gross--like the guy who dug the soda cup out of the garbage to use it to get a free refill at the movies. That is also stealing. Or the guy who re-used his dental floss. EW.

It seems like some of the people on the show have some social issues. Like the asian lady who lived in Manhattan who dumpster dived didn't have any friends.

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
lovesny
Earning My Ears

That show disgusts me!
lovesny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home
Birthdays are for kids of all ages
I have always been a big Kermit the Frog Fan

This show & Extreme Couponing both had potential to be great show about how to save money but ended up not being more about how to "work & cheat the system."
disneychrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
DawnM
Dawn

Did she say she didn't have any friends?

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerGirl84 View Post
I LOVE THAT SHOW.
It seems like some of the people on the show have some social issues. Like the asian lady who lived in Manhattan who dumpster dived didn't have any friends.

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
OLT2004
DIS Veteran

What Network?

What Network?

Thanks

Christmas 2007
Went Again In 2207...Very Last Trip!

Went Again In 2010...

Now Planning For January 2013...
OMG Can Our Youngest Really Be 21?
She Was Pre-School Our 1st Trip...Now I Am Planning A Drink
Around World Showcase Tour...

OMG Can This Really Be My DW 50th Bday Trip?

OMG - How Time Fly's...
OLT2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
DisneyCowgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerGirl84 View Post
Like the asian lady who lived in Manhattan who dumpster dived didn't have any friends.
THis is the episode I saw. I found it to be very disturbing. I was quite surprised by how much it bothered me. Still not sure why it bothered me so much.
DisneyCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #8
01spirit750
Mouseketeer

I think the producers should be more aware of the differences between being frugal and stealing (getting used cup containers to get free refills).

I know I was shocked a few years ago when I found that my (middle class) grandfather had gone to homeless soup kitchen for a free thanksgiving dinner, after already going to the senior citizen center for their free thankgiving dinner (that part was fine).
01spirit750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #9
threecrazykids
DIS Veteran

I don't believe the movie theatre crud. There was NO ONE at that theatre but them. No one in the movie, no other workers, no other patrons. It was staged. I also don't think the 14 samples of ice cream was real either. I think he would totally do that if anyone would let him do it...but I too think that was all staged for the show.

I guess I just pick up on some of the "staged" things...like the gal in the Manhattan apartment that had the friends over and dumpster dived. Out of nowhere this girlfriend of her friend (of whom she JUST MET) says "wow...that's a nice outfit you're wearing" and then made some comment about the outfit. Who does that? NO ONE. It was staged so she would then go into how she's had the shorts for years and that the elastic was torn and she used a binder clip to keep them up.

I don't doubt that some of these things are real...but some are there for entertainment purposes I believe.
threecrazykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #10
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

I don't like the way they save money it makes me sick so I no longer watch
Old 11-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #11
jgreco
Mouseketeer

These people feeding others with food out of the garbage is out of line.

If you want to eat "chicken with two sides" out of the trash, fine. Don't feed it to other people.

A millionaire feeding her grandchild food out of the trash is beyond being cheap. It is disgusting.

I wonder how much these people wind up spending in doctor bills from illness.
jgreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #12
nicolita3
DIS Veteran

One of the episodes that upset me was the one where the husband gave his wife an allowance, refused to buy furniture for the house, and then took her to a fine dinning restaurant of a Chinese buffet. It would be one thing if they were poor or something but the fact that he had $100,000+ in the bank and was lying to his family saying they were too poor for things. I mean come on! if the family wants furniture at least go to Ikea and spend $ on furniture, its not fancy but at least its furniture.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #13
jgreco
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolita3 View Post
One of the episodes that upset me was the one where the husband gave his wife an allowance, refused to buy furniture for the house, and then took her to a fine dinning restaurant of a Chinese buffet. It would be one thing if they were poor or something but the fact that he had $100,000+ in the bank and was lying to his family saying they were too poor for things. I mean come on! if the family wants furniture at least go to Ikea and spend $ on furniture, its not fancy but at least its furniture.
That poor woman was legitimately mortified, he brought 6 people to that buffet and paid for 3. If it was staged for TV, she wasn't in on it. After watching my family on TV, I'd threaten to leave his *** and take half of "my" savings with me. That house was awful, poor kid wanted a desk for studying and he anchored some broken crap to the wall to make a desk. A true cheapskate couldn't have free-cycled or curb surfed for one?

I've never seen a trailer hitch on a hearse...
jgreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #14
nicolita3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreco View Post
That poor woman was legitimately mortified, he brought 6 people to that buffet and paid for 3. If it was staged for TV, she wasn't in on it. After watching my family on TV, I'd threaten to leave his *** and take half of "my" savings with me. That house was awful, poor kid wanted a desk for studying and he anchored some broken crap to the wall to make a desk. A true cheapskate couldn't have free-cycled or curb surfed for one?

I've never seen a trailer hitch on a hearse...
Exactly! I would divorce him so fast!
Old 11-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #15
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by threecrazykids View Post
I don't believe the movie theatre crud. There was NO ONE at that theatre but them. No one in the movie, no other workers, no other patrons. It was staged. I also don't think the 14 samples of ice cream was real either. I think he would totally do that if anyone would let him do it...but I too think that was all staged for the show.

I guess I just pick up on some of the "staged" things...like the gal in the Manhattan apartment that had the friends over and dumpster dived. Out of nowhere this girlfriend of her friend (of whom she JUST MET) says "wow...that's a nice outfit you're wearing" and then made some comment about the outfit. Who does that? NO ONE. It was staged so she would then go into how she's had the shorts for years and that the elastic was torn and she used a binder clip to keep them up.

I don't doubt that some of these things are real...but some are there for entertainment purposes I believe.
It's not real,this is for entertainment!! However I'm the first one who goes to the matinees for lower prices or even better the AMC movie showtimes before 12pm which are $6 and I have been to theaters that are as empty as that one for those earlier showtimes.Also while it's obviously staged it is based on things people do,I was just telling someone at work about the cup out of the garbage thing and he basically admitted to me that when he was a teenager him and his friends did that and to avoid the disgusting factor they would tell the cashier to switch the cup because it had coke before and they wanted sprite now.The guy who cooks the salmon carcass was also on the hour long show they had before these 30 minute shows came out and in that one he's cooking like this goats head that was way scarier than the salmon carcass.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: