Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
maddie0929
Earning My Ears

Disney's Pop Century Resort VS Disney Caribbean Resort

We are planning a trip Disney World November 2013 and are thinking about staying at either Pop Century or the Caribbean Resort. We have stayed at Pop before at liked it. It was clean and the size of the room was fine for a family of 3. All we really did there was sleep & shower anyway so why spend the extra $$ but we are thinking about the Caribbean this time. We ate at a restaurant in the resort & really liked the beach feel of it. So I need opinions from people who have possibly stayed at both. Is the Caribbean worth the extra $500 to stay there? I know we can look around at the resort but are the rooms that much better?
Thanks alot for your help!
Missy
maddie0929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

in my opinion no - but the rooms are alot bigger at CBR - they are the same size as WL and AKV regular size rooms.

problem is the beds are the same size - double (full) - not the queen beds that the other moderate resorts now have.

the beach area is nice - but the resort is very spread out - so it takes a while to walk it. after walking at the parks don't want to come back to my hotel and have to walk even further. but that is my opinion.

if you are young - then go for it.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddie0929 View Post
We are planning a trip Disney World November 2013 and are thinking about staying at either Pop Century or the Caribbean Resort. We have stayed at Pop before at liked it. It was clean and the size of the room was fine for a family of 3. All we really did there was sleep & shower anyway so why spend the extra $$ but we are thinking about the Caribbean this time. We ate at a restaurant in the resort & really liked the beach feel of it. So I need opinions from people who have possibly stayed at both. Is the Caribbean worth the extra $500 to stay there? I know we can look around at the resort but are the rooms that much better?
Thanks alot for your help!
Missy
That is pretty subjective. I only use the room to sleep and then get the heck out while I'm at Disney so I go for the cheapest room I can get that fits my party. Usually that means value but when I go down with 4 people we spring for a moderate or the Swan/Dolphin. Personally I would save the $500 for something else if size wasn't an issue.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

IMHO, absolutely not.

We have stayed at POP and CBR. We liked POP alot more. We found it to have a better layout, better food court, better housekeeping, better buses and just a better "vibe".

If we had to chose between the two again, we would pick POP every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
BrownHP800
Mouseketeer

I agree with the rest of the responses. For $500 difference no way would I change from Pop.

That being said, I did enjoy CBR. My kids loved the main pool. It was very nice and I would have no problems going back there. But I enjoyed my stay at Pop. Like you said, you pretty much are there to sleep and shower. As long as there is enough room for you it is a very good choice.

One other thing to consider is that if you are planning on staying during a free dining promotion and thinking of upgrading from the QS plan to the regular dining plan which is included at all moderate resorts, then the difference in cost may not be as much. We were originally going to stay at All Star Sports and upgrade dining plans and for about $110 we booked at POFQ this year.

Any way you choose I am sure you will have a wonderful vacation and will not be disappointed!
Old 11-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
dansdad
DIS Veteran

It depends on how to view your resort, as a place to lay your head every night or a place to take a break from the parks and relax.

We love CBR but we always plan at least 2 resort days to just chill and enjoy all CBR has to offer. Here is what you will get at CBR:

Bigger rooms
Doulbe sinks
Multiple covered bus stops
2 pool slides
2 hot tubs
TS restaraunt
Lush landscaping
Boat rentals
Bike rentals

The above added amenities make spending the extra $$ worth it to us. When we were park commandos, we loved the values. We vacation differntly now so our resort choices have changed.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
MagicKisses2
Mouseketeer

We've stayed at POP and CBR and I have to say I liked POP better.

My husband and I took a trip in 2010 and stayed at POP, he was running the Disney 1/2 Marathon, and I picked POP because we had never stayed there before (I want to stay at all the resorts at some point). We were in the 70's section and loved it. I really enjoyed the resort layout, the food court, and the one bus stop! OH that lovely one bus stop.

In 2012 we went back for hubby's 2nd 1/2 marathon and my DSIL was joining us, I was tempted to back to POP because I liked it so much, but really wanted to work on staying at all the resorts! So I picked CBR, it had the double sinks, the privacy curtain, and a nice beach theme, the hot tub. We booked a preferred room because I had read that this was a huge resort and didn't want a long walk to the food court. Overall I enjoyed CBR, but honestly, the multiple bus stops really drove me cray.

Based on both stays I would in a heartbeat go back to POP, I wouldn't go back to CBR unless something really special was going on (discount!).

The ease of the bus was huge for me. POP was recently referbd as well, and while they don't have a double sink, they do have the privacy curtain. Honestly I loved POP.

Either way, both resorts are wonderful. You can't go wrong, your at WDW!!!

POR & AOA Jan '15 - Did he really sign up for the Goofy Challenge?! ASMo Oct '13 - ToT 10 miler CBR Jan '12 - Official 5th trip and second half marathon! POP Jan '10 - Wayne's first Disney Half Marathon CSR Jan '08 - winter get-a-way POFQ Dec '06 - 1st anniversary AKL Nov '05 - honeymoon
MagicKisses2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
maddie0929
Earning My Ears

Thank you all so much! The info has been helpful.
The pools aren't very important since its in November & will probably be chilly & I'm sure we will be spending most of the time in the parks anyway. We can swim at home LOL! Leaning more toward Pop. We had no problems at all there & it was nice.
maddie0929 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: