Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
jmarsh
Mouseketeer

Extra Magic Hours Question?

So in all my research I found out that MK does not have the EMH on the two days we will be there....

We arrive on a Sunday after a 3 day cruise so my plan was to not hit the parks that day. I planned on hanging out at the hotel, going to Downtown Disney, and the Boardwalk and then hitting the parks hard Monday and Tuesday. But now I am thinking of rethinking this plan because MK has EMH on Sunday.

This is the first time my DD10 and I have ever been to WDW and we want to do as much as possible. I planned on only going to Epcot and MK because of time but now I am just not sure what to do. Animal Kingdom has EMH on Monday while Epcot has EMH in the morning on Tuesday. For the evening EMH we would go to Disney Hollywood Studio on Tuesday.

So my questions are is it worth it to buy an extra day into the park just for the EMH at MK if we do not get to WDW until about 1pm or just forget about staying in MK for the EMH? Plus we will have the dining plan and I'm thinking that might be too much food if we are only at the park on the first day for a few hours... What would all of you experienced WDW people do for your first limited time trip?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated...
Old 01-01-2013, 02:04 AM   #2
PHLtoMCO
Disboards helps me cut back on Facebook.

So you'll probably get a million different opinions but what I personally would do is buy another ticket for the parks (if it's within your budget of course) because if I were arriving at 1pm (and since there are evening EMH at MK that night), I would feel like I would want to be there. I get the most out of the evening EMH at MK more than I do during EMH at any ther park. They've actually become pretty valuable to us (at Mk anyway) so we rarely will pass them up.

Also have you checked the parade schedule for that day or for what day you're planning on doing MK? I'm not sure when your trip is, but during certain times of the year the parades (Main Street Electrical Parade or SpectroMagic- whatever it ends up being at the time of your trip) will run on a limited schedule which means they don't do them every night as they usually do in the summer for example. You definitely don't want to miss that. Many times during evening EMH at MK the parade will even be twice a night which is always fun!

Hope this helps a little
1989-Poly, 1990-Big Red Boat/Poly, 1992-Poly, 1993-BC, 1995-Poly, 1996-BC, 1997-Poly, 1999-Poly, 2001-BWI, 2003-Poly, 2005-Poly, 2006-Poly/Sports, 2007-BWV, 2008-POP, 2009-ASM, 2010-BWV, 2011-Poly, 2012-BCV/POP, 2012-Poly, 2013-POP, 2013-AKL, 2013-BLT, 2014-POP, 2014-Disneyland

runDisney races - ToT 13k, ToT 10 miler, EEC, PHM, Enchanted 10k, GSC, Coast2Coast, next up....Avengers Half Marathon!
PHLtoMCO is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2013, 02:36 AM   #3
jmarsh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoMCO
So you'll probably get a million different opinions but what I personally would do is buy another ticket for the parks (if it's within your budget of course) because if I were arriving at 1pm (and since there are evening EMH at MK that night), I would feel like I would want to be there. I get the most out of the evening EMH at MK more than I do during EMH at any ther park. They've actually become pretty valuable to us (at Mk anyway) so we rarely will pass them up.

Also have you checked the parade schedule for that day or for what day you're planning on doing MK? I'm not sure when your trip is, but during certain times of the year the parades (Main Street Electrical Parade or SpectroMagic- whatever it ends up being at the time of your trip) will run on a limited schedule which means they don't do them every night as they usually do in the summer for example. You definitely don't want to miss that. Many times during evening EMH at MK the parade will even be twice a night which is always fun!

Hope this helps a little
Yeah that is what I was thinking... Now I have to really think about changing my plan... Guess this is what overtime is for right... I work to live ... Not live to work
Old 01-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

I know it's only for three days, but you also need to consider you're talking about some late nights coupled with some very early mornings which could make for a very cranky family. We would probably try it anyway, but thought I'd mention it.

Question....what does the dining plan have to do with whether you hit the park your first day or not? You'll have the same number of meals no matter where you go.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
jmarsh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonabe
I know it's only for three days, but you also need to consider you're talking about some late nights coupled with some very early mornings which could make for a very cranky family. We would probably try it anyway, but thought I'd mention it.

Question....what does the dining plan have to do with whether you hit the park your first day or not? You'll have the same number of meals no matter where you go.
I was planning ongoing back to the hotel, midday, to take a nap. Since it is just myself and my DD10 it shouldn't be to hard with little sleep.

Since I am doing the meal plan with 3 TS I just am not sure we will use all the credits since we will only be there half a day.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
jmarsh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonabe

Okay so I just learned that my meal plan has to be for all the days that I have a hotel reservation for so I guess we are going to the park for three days
Old 01-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #7
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

You could downgrade your meal plan.

And remember that there are plenty of restaurants at resorts and DTD that take the meal plan.

And that, while it's not cost effective, the Deluxe dining plan allows you to use meal credits even at counter service. Not just table service.

Buy the dining plan that works for your plans. Don't work out plans based on the dining plan.

The dining plan will expire at midnight the day you checkout.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #8
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarsh View Post
I was planning ongoing back to the hotel, midday, to take a nap. Since it is just myself and my DD10 it shouldn't be to hard with little sleep.
OK now I'm on my computer and for some reason that makes my brain work better.

All I can go by is my own sleep habits and my son's, but are you *sure* your 10 year old will easily go along with this plan?

It does seem, in re-re-re-reading, that you don't know there are restaurants for the dining plan at resorts. Even though it looks like there's a picture from O'hana in your sig. I could be wrong about that.

But you do not have to be at the parks to using your dining plan.

Assuming, since you said you get 3 TS, that you're doing the Deluxe plan, you get those 3 *meals*, and I believe 2 snacks per "day". For each of you.

Now, the thing is, it's not per *day*. It's for each night's stay you have. So if you have 3 *days* but only 2 nights at a hotel booked, you get 2 chunks of those entitlements. They can be used from checkin (even if your room isn't ready) until midnight the day you check out. At LOTS of different places.

But then I re-re-re-re-read, and maybe you mean 3 TS for the whole time. Which means the normal plain old dining plan. You could easily find a place at a resort or DTD to use one TS on Sunday, then use them in the parks on the other two days. Or do one of the 2-credit meals like CRT or Brown Derby (and maybe Akershus?), leaving you with just one more TS to use.

Lastly...there are plenty of people who actually *avoid* the parks with EMH. I know that I try to!

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
jmarsh
Mouseketeer

I am not trying to create a plan based on my dining plan... I think I wasn't very specific on what/why I was planning it the way I was/am.

Now that I know I have to have the dining plan for the 3 nights we are staying in property I think I'm going to down grade the meal plan. I was planning on doing the 3TS with 2 snacks per day...

When we arrive on property I'm going to relax mist of the afternoon because we will be on a 3 day cruise prior and I do believe I will need a nap before hitting the parks. We will do dinner at MK and then stay in the park until they close.

My daughter and I often plan vacations where it is go go go with little sleep. We both get little sleep on a regular basis...I average 3-4 a night and she gets about 6 per night.

Thank you for your recommendations

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: