Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
Dhew79
Earning My Ears

Smile Cozumel Dolphin Excursion

My daughter really would like to interact with dolphins on our next cruise. In Feb we will be doing the 5 day cruise leaving from Miami. She will be 6 at the time. There are 2 options Dolphin Discovery Cozumel & Dolphin Kids at Dolphinaris. Can anyone give any input as to which would be better for her age. She would love to see them do tricks, touch them and even get a kiss. I know she would love to swim with them but not sure if that is offerd.

Last edited by Dhew79; 11-01-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Dhew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
jillgunter
Mouseketeer

We decided on the Cozumel one for kids. We just paid for us to be observers. My DD is 6 also. She is so excited, all she talks about is wanting to be a dolphin trainer when she grows up!

*some of those your daughter would not be old enough for. The ones were they swim with the dolphin and the trainer one is either 8 or 10 years old.

Jill: Mom to a Disney addicted 7 year old!
jillgunter is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
jennab05
Mouseketeer

I am signed up to do the dolphin excursion with the platform for the fantasy 11/10 cruise. I have a huge fear of deep water/not being able to touch the bottom so for me I like that option better.

Also, I forgot the name of the place but the excursion I am doing also allows you to wander around the park after your excursion is up so that is kind of nice so you can see some other things as well. Kind of like 2 for the price of 1.
jennab05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
zstyles
Mouseketeer

We did the Dophiouriouse...whatever it was...

It was fun, we had to split our kids up...so one parent was with our son as an observer(required) and I was with my daughter as a swimmer, we were in the same pool just on two sides..the observation deck was RIGHT above us...

The one thing they DO NOT TELL YOU is that when you get split up you MUST BUY TWO SEPARATE CD's if you want the photos...this was the only real crappy part about the whole thing...so we spent around 99.00(we talked them down) for 6 photos on a DVD....so if you want photos of EACH KID and they are in two groups you'll be buying two DVD"s....
Old 10-31-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstyles View Post
We did the Dophiouriouse...whatever it was...

It was fun, we had to split our kids up...so one parent was with our son as an observer(required) and I was with my daughter as a swimmer, we were in the same pool just on two sides..the observation deck was RIGHT above us...

The one thing they DO NOT TELL YOU is that when you get split up you MUST BUY TWO SEPARATE CD's if you want the photos...this was the only real crappy part about the whole thing...so we spent around 99.00(we talked them down) for 6 photos on a DVD....so if you want photos of EACH KID and they are in two groups you'll be buying two DVD"s....
We did too....my girls loved it!

(Always try to negotiate!)
Old 10-31-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
Golden Rose
Princess by Choice

We did the Dolphin Push Pull and Swim with our then 6 year old DS in February. This is the second level interaction at Dolphin Discovery in Chankanaab. Chankanaab, the park it is in, is gorgeous, and well worth spending the rest of the day in. There is a snorkel beach, a tidal pool/cove area that had a lot of fish in fairly shallow water, a surprisingly good restaurant, and a sea lion show.

The Push, Pull, and Swim turned out to be a little overwhelming for DS, although all the adults loved it. The basic Dolphin Encounter would have been just fine with him, and is in fact what we're doing next time. You stand on a grate for some sections of the P, P & S, and I believe for all the Encounter. DS is a pretty good swimmer, but the thought of swimming into really deep water and being pushed across the enclosure or grabbing the dolphin's fins for a belly ride appealed to him in theory, but seemed too scary in practice. They will not let the parent go into the deep water with a child that age, and DS just stuck with the behaviors that could be done on the grate or with a few feet of it.

Anyway, I totally recommend doing the Dolphin Encounter at Dolphin Discovery.

For the money, the best thing to do is to book it on their website and say that you are staying at a local hotel instead of booking it through DCL.

(me) (DH) (DS 8) (DD 3) (4 cats) (52 fish) (and a frog)
Golden Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
jaydensmommy23
Earning My Ears

How long do the dolphin excursions usually last, Do you have time to anything else that day or does it typically take most of the day. Thanks!!
jaydensmommy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: