Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
It'sWDW4me
Fairly new... still gets a tag :)
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!

My job's being sent to India

I'm just sniffling here. Pity party for one, please.

There have been rumors for a while. Confirmed today. My job (accounts payable for a global company) is being moved to India. I'm just so very, very sad - I love my job and the people I work with.

WDW Commando Member #120

Me; DS (18); Bear (7); Cosmo (7? He's a stray who found his home with us)

No more tickers for a very long while.

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
It'sWDW4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sWDW4me View Post
I'm just sniffling here. Pity party for one, please.

There have been rumors for a while. Confirmed today. My job (accounts payable for a global company) is being moved to India. I'm just so very, very sad - I love my job and the people I work with.
I'm sorry to hear this. How many others will be losing their jobs?

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
SLP958
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry. Sad to see that happening to so many.
SLP958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
PelletierBears
Mouseketeer

I also work for a global company and there has been much more gorwth overseas vs domestically. Is there another position for you within the company at least?

Good luck!

1982 - offsite, 1996 - offsite, May 2001 - AKL, June 2006 - WL, June 2007 - WL, July 2008 - WL, June 2009 -Split stay: Pirate rm CBR & Poly Club Level!, December 2010 -Split stay: POP & WL, June 2012 - Split stay: CSR & WL, January 2014 - Split stay: AKL Club level & Poly, January 2015 - AKL Club level
PelletierBears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
tazdev3225
I sucked my thumb up with the vacuum
I fell up a mountain skiing and sprained both my ankles

So sorry. This happened to my aunt this past year. Not only is she losing her job, and she was accounts payable too, she had to train the people taking her job. They have made a royal mess of it all and my aunt's termination was extended another 5 months while they try and fix everything. It has been stressful.
tazdev3225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

So sorry.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #7
runsandjumps
DIS Veteran

Hoping for new opportunities to come your way.
runsandjumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
JoiseyMom
Have you had your SPANX today???
I mean, peep poop should be shiny and colored!!

So sorry to hear this. Outsourcing really really bites. My DH found out the other day, his department (he is in IT) and a bunch of others are being outsourced by the end of the year. Now DH warned everyone last year that this was going to happen. The company brought in this "person", who DH worked with at another company, where this guy did the same thing. He basically comes in and outsources everyone.
2005 August - Surprise Trip for kids!! CSR; 2006 August - Surprise Trip for kids at CSR again!! 2007 August - 3 nite Wonder & AKL FD 3peat!!
2007 December 8 - 7nite Eastern on the Magic! 2008 August 17 DCL Magic EB Panama Canal; March 2011 WDW trip with friends. 2012 Aug 25 DCL Bahamas Magic from NYC;2012 Sept 12 DCL Canadian Magic;2013 Aug AKL Kidani;2013 Aug DCL Fantasy

I am Poohtiful and Poohlicious!!!! Have you had your Spanx today???
JoiseyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #9
Snoozan
Really IS a good girl!
Mine was dark brown garbage bag

OP - I am so sorry to hear this. The job I just left had me training the folks in India for my job and my 'new' job consisted of checking their work and correcting their errors. Sure did not give me a warm, fuzzy feeling about the company. Although this doesn't help, but when I worked for several insurance companies, alot of jobs got shipped to India, but down the road, they all came back to the U.S. due to the ill-will the companies created with their policyholders.
Snoozan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #10
jgh
Peter Pan!

I'm so sorry about this! Hoping that something just as great (or better) comes along your way! Head up!

jgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #11
It'sWDW4me
Fairly new... still gets a tag :)
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. While I seriously saw this coming (parent company sent someone here for 3 months last year "just to document" how we do everything we do - yeah, riiiiiggghhhtt), somehow it still is devastating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan View Post
I'm sorry to hear this. How many others will be losing their jobs?
There are 8 of us in accounting - 5 in payables, 3 in receivables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdev3225 View Post
So sorry. This happened to my aunt this past year. Not only is she losing her job, and she was accounts payable too, she had to train the people taking her job. They have made a royal mess of it all and my aunt's termination was extended another 5 months while they try and fix everything. It has been stressful.
This is what I'm struggling with. Sometime soon, we will be training people in India how to do what we do. They've botched other outsourced areas horribly and we can't imagine how this will be accomplished successfully. Supposedly, by early June, our work should be transitioned over. I just don't see that happening.

So I'm supposed to cheerfully help train someone to take my job within 4 months. I process expense reports. It took me at least a good 6 months to learn all the different nuances of "this department is ok with this, that department does the other thing, this is a no-no here but is ok there..." ya know? The language barrier sure isn't going to help matters at all.

I eventually have to decide if I'm going to stay through the bitter end. And will that bitter end be postponed as India botches it up? Sigh. I really wanted to spend the rest of my working years here too. We're told that other positions may open up in the company but I don't think they will be in the accounting area. I think it'll only be a matter of time until ALL of our accounting is outsourced.

WDW Commando Member #120

Me; DS (18); Bear (7); Cosmo (7? He's a stray who found his home with us)

No more tickers for a very long while.

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
It'sWDW4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:45 AM   #12
sasywtch
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry to hear about your job. It is really starting to worry me more and more even though I'm getting to retirement age. (for my kids and everyone else's kids).

For anyone that has taken the nursing exam (NCLEX), you probably dealt with India while registering (if on the phone). I cannot begin to tell you how many errors since they outsourced. When there is multiple spelling errors like Son Fransiko, I know they called and didn't register online.

One thing I could never understand. I use to make my car payment by phone with my visa/debit with no charge. I called one day to make a payment and the girl told me this is the last time with no charge. They were going to start charging $10. (I never understood this anyway as they get it quickly but what do I know). She told me today was her last day and they were outsourcing overseas and she was leary herself to give out her account information overseas. Here's what I don't get. They outsource because it's cheaper labor but then they start charging me a fee to pay that way?

OP I hope you obtain a new job that you love more than this one. You know the old saying "when one door closes". I must not be a good person because I don't know if I could train those taking over my job. Money wise I'd have to but gut wise, it would kill me.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #13
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

OP I am so sorry. I can't even imagine being in your position. I hope you find a new wonderful opportunity.

My Blog: Have Budget Will Travel

Riles_and_Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:00 AM   #14
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran

Well that stinks!!! I just don't get why companies do this. It is so frustrating sometimes trying to communicate with a customer service rep from another country. I had to call Dell the other day and while the guy" John" was very friendly and was trying so hard to be helpful I really had a hard time understanding him and finally just gave up . Sometimes cheaper isn't always better !
donaldlovesdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #15
Pooh67_68
My head looked like a brillo pad
DH gave me roses ... just because :)
Someone please take pity on me, and send me a small piece of pecan pie

OP you are a better person then me, no way i would train the person they outsourced my job too.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: