Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #61
akasleepingbeauty
My favorite place to run is Disney!!

So nice to see everyone still gathering and sharing here! I have been following along but not posting since R2 announcements - just didn't feel like I belonged at that point. I applied for the first time last year and made it to R2 but then didn't make it past R1 this year. Will try again next year but not sure if I'll try for runDisney again or try for WDW instead. Anyone else struggling with applying for a specialty vs. WDW? There are tons more people applying for WDW but many more spots too. Something to give serious thought to before applying next year.

Looking forward to visiting WDW for Marathon Weekend in January. It will be great to see so many friends while visiting my favorite place! Plus, as an anniversary year for the marathon, there will be a special medal, revised course, etc. It will also be nice to spend some time at WDW with my DH as our kids are staying home with my mom. Hopefully, we can squeeze in 26.2 miles in between all that other fun

We are also waiting for DCL to open 2014 reservations. We cruised for the fifth time in March - s 5-day "double-dip" on the Dream over spring break. It was our first cruise on one of the new ships and next time we are hoping to cruise on the Fantasy. Love that DCL is cruising part-time from Galveston (we live in Tx) but wish they had more cruises that offer visits to Castaway Cay. We love CC so that is hard to get past but maybe in the future if the dates, itineraries, and prices work out then we'll sail from Galveston.

My heart is so heavy for those suffering from Sandy and her aftermath. So much destroyed and incredible amounts of recovery ahead - just heartbreaking! I hope that the power is back up and supplies are available soon so at least people can be warm and fed.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #62
mjaclyn
Currently in Wonderland

Hmmm... I've been thinking a lot today. If you can dream it, you can do it. I haven't stopped dreaming it so why not just do it? I know this sounds cryptic but I have a great idea. It was an idea I was going to share with the Moms Panel if I made it on and have wanted to do this for 3 years. Since there is no guarantee I will ever make the panel, I want to make my own Disney magic and see what happens.
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #63
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLiz View Post
Good morning, my friends!!!

Well, we survived trick-or-treating.

My 3-year-old just kept wanting to go and go and go. I finally had to stop her when her fingers started to feel like ice.

We usually go out with some friends of ours and they always buy about 10lbs of candy, but nobody stays home to hand it all out. They just put a little container on their front porch. So, at 9:30 last night, as we were starting to leave, the mom started shoveling candy into my girls' bags! We brought home so much candy, I don't know what to do with it!

I hope everyone is feeling a little better today. I'm getting to where I'm starting to feel excited about our trip tomorrow, but I'm still not quite there. I'm hoping that walking into the AKL lobby will do it for me.

baseballmickey --definitely try out Vero Beach! We were there for Memorial Day and we loved it! The waves are a little rough, but the resort is wonderful. We decided on an oceanview inn studio when we went and it was lovely walking out onto the balcony to see the ocean.

And, of course, you have to make a stop at WDW...it's right there!

I'm trying to clean off my desk today since I'll be out for a few days, but I'm going to try to check in once in a while.
Trick-or-treating was not pleasant for us. Our daughter is only two, so we really limit her sugar intake. Because of this, we went to our downtown festival rather than trick-or-treating or just staying home and handing out candy. At least, that was the plan.

Turns out, our neighborhood is "that" neighborhood. The one that everyone around town likes to come to for trick-or-treating. We left the festival to come home and when we pulled into our subdivision, every street was lined with cars on both sides. Then, we got stuck behind a parent whose son was on the sidewalk going door-to-door while she followed in her car. We couldn't pass her because of cars on both sides of the street, so it took us quite a while to get to our door. She would just cruise down the street, then, when her child stopped at a house, she would throw her car in park, put on her flashers, and just sit there. Don't worry, lady, no one else has places to be.

When we finally did get home, it was dark out, but there were still hoards of families on the street. Since it was time for DD2 to take her bath and then go to bed, we made sure all of our lights were off that could be seen from the street. Didn't stop the trick-or-treaters, though. They were still ringing our doorbell after 9:00 - again, even though there was not a single light on in our house. Call me paranoid, but I am not opening the door to complete strangers that late when I have no lights on and cannot see who is at the door. I'm sure my daughter is going to be a real delight when she wakes up this morning, too, since she didn't get much sleep last night.

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR Royal Guest Room* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR Royal Guest Room*

JennaDeeDooDah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #64
Suzanne033
Nobody on their deathbed ever wishes they spent more time at the office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaclyn View Post
Hmmm... I've been thinking a lot today. If you can dream it, you can do it. I haven't stopped dreaming it so why not just do it? I know this sounds cryptic but I have a great idea. It was an idea I was going to share with the Moms Panel if I made it on and have wanted to do this for 3 years. Since there is no guarantee I will ever make the panel, I want to make my own Disney magic and see what happens.
Please share. It sounds intriguing.
6/1986 - Off-Site; 11/1997 - Polynesian; 12/2001 - All Star Sports; 12/2004 - Beach Club/Disney Wonder; 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 - AAU Volleyball Nationals @ WWoS; 12/2013 - Mom Panel Training - Boardwalk; 7/2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; 12/2014 - Grand Floridian

MouseQuest Podcast - The MQ is your HQ for all things Disney
Suzanne033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #65
VG9493
DVC Member OKW '92

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy18 View Post
Hello everyone! Here's the new thread for those of us who didn't make it to round 3. I will be posting one for those moving on as well. I plan to follow both, eventually. but some of you have expressed that you are not ready to be in the finalist waiting room, and that is certainly understandable!
Thanks for starting this thread! We were out of power since Monday just got it back this morning, it kept my mind off of my disappointment for a few days. This was the first time I made it to round 2 it was for DVC. As hurt as I am I will definitly be applying in 2014, and if I don't make it yes i'll be annoyed, but I feel like I've been very lucky to have all of you going through this with me.
GO TEAM 2014!!!
VG9493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #66
DSRMary
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbkamommy View Post
Okay you have me beat! Only 4 tubes of blood here!

Can you aunt adopt me? Really I am super nice

I love Disneyland. I think it is better than the Magic Kingdom. Though I love WDW too. They both have great aspects.

Fantasmic as Disneyland is better....though seating can be a pain. Go to the 2nd show. Much easier to get a good seat. Go in as people are coming out.

I also like Space Mountain better at DLR.

When you go let me know....I will fill you in

So excited for CARS land my boys are over the top!
I'd love some pointers about DL. I know WDW like the back of my hand, but we will be visiting DL for the first time next summer (on our way to Aulani!!). We're planning to spend 3 days visiting DL and GCA and would love to get some tips!

If you can dream it, you can do it.
- Walt Disney
DSRMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #67
DSRMary
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VG9493 View Post

Thanks for starting this thread! We were out of power since Monday just got it back this morning, it kept my mind off of my disappointment for a few days. This was the first time I made it to round 2 it was for DVC. As hurt as I am I will definitly be applying in 2014, and if I don't make it yes i'll be annoyed, but I feel like I've been very lucky to have all of you going through this with me.
GO TEAM 2014!!!
I've applied every year since the MP began, always for WDW. I'm thinking about switching to DVC for next year. We've been members since 2005, added points twice and try to stay at new places each time. When I didn't make it to R3, my knee-jerk reaction was - never again! But, now I'm thinking, why not... This is the first time that I joined in on the disboards and I have to say that it really helped! Thanks to all of you!!

If you can dream it, you can do it.
- Walt Disney
DSRMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #68
missingFL
Earning My Ears

Quote:
After seeing your answers and video, I really thought that you would be one of the ones that moved onto Round 3. You should definitely follow your heart and make your own magic. Maybe that's what you've been meant to do all along.

I'm feeling better now but still pretty sad that I didn't go further. My kids finally went back to school today but weren't too thrilled to be woken up after 3 days of sleeping in. It didn't feel much like Halloween since our trick-or-treating is postponed until Saturday and the kids' Halloween parties will be tomorrow. It's been a backwards week for me.

I do want to say thanks to all of you who were such a great support while waiting for Round 3 emails. I'm not sure that I would be planning a February trip for the Royal Family 5K if I hadn't joined all of you so I appreciate the positive influences you've all had in my life.
missingFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #69
JennaDeeDooDah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSRMary View Post
I'd love some pointers about DL. I know WDW like the back of my hand, but we will be visiting DL for the first time next summer (on our way to Aulani!!). We're planning to spend 3 days visiting DL and GCA and would love to get some tips!
I would love some pointers about DL, as well. We are talking about going there in 2015. Many people I know keep telling me how disappointed I will be after all of my WDW trips and my internship, but I think that they underestimate the power of a Disney obsession. To me, I can only imagine how exciting it will be to walk where Walt walked, see what Walt saw, and ride on things designed by him. Please give me some idea about your experiences, though, and how to tackle the parks if you found it to need a different strategy than WDW.

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR Royal Guest Room* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR Royal Guest Room*

Old 11-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #70
logpey
Disney or bust!

Talking

Quote:
OK, are you going to share or is it a secret?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballmickey View Post
Hey fellow 2014ers!!
In the meantime, I should get back to my neglected TR, and there were a whole bunch of questions from the last thread that I don't think I answered about myself... I'll get to those as well.
About time, we were worried about you!!!!!Hope everything is good with your neighborhood & friends

Im finally feeling better, even though still pretty sad, but I'll get over it-what else can I do! I hope everyone is feeling better & not so upset. I know its rough, especially when your heart is set on something, we were all there, It's like having a baby---you forget the pain & do it again, just like we will again for the 2014 MP!!!!!! Glad we have a place to share & spend the nexy year together! Don't forget a lot of us use Twitter & Facebook, come on over!
2004 May/WL
2007 July S/D
2010 July/Aug/POLY CL
2011 July/POLY CL
2012 Mar/Aulani
2012 Sept/POR 2013 Feb/BCR CL 2013 OCT POR 2014 July/DCL
http://s809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/logpey/ https://picasaweb.google.com/1069180...eat=directlink
Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=43064690#post43064690
Dawn's Blog:http://dawnsdorkydiary.wordpress.com Disney podcast- http://mousequestpodcast.com/subscribe/
logpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #71
TheDisneyMama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne033 View Post
Please share. It sounds intriguing.
Oh, yes!! Now I'm curious!! Do tell!!
TheDisneyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #72
JennaDeeDooDah

Just got a disappointing phone call. Back in June of 2006, my grandmother was diagnosed with bone cancer. Her doctor told her that there was nothing that could be done and to go home and wait to die. My grandmother, not being one to go down without a fight, went to MD Anderson for a second opinion. Less than a year later, she was in remission. She has been going back for her check ups. 6 weeks ago, they detected the cancer protein in her at >.1. As of yesterday, it was at .1. This means her cancer is back. On the plus side, this is not a bad number, she kicked cancer's tail before and she can do it again. On the negative side, well, it's still cancer. They have put her on 50 mg of Thalomid. In a month, if she has tolerated it well, they will up it to 100mg. Not sure how this will affect our trip in early December. She has so been looking forward to it, though. If you are the praying type, please send up a prayer for her. If prayer isn't your thing, please think good thoughts.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #73
RNMAMA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
I would love some pointers about DL, as well. We are talking about going there in 2015. Many people I know keep telling me how disappointed I will be after all of my WDW trips and my internship, but I think that they underestimate the power of a Disney obsession. To me, I can only imagine how exciting it will be to walk where Walt walked, see what Walt saw, and ride on things designed by him. Please give me some idea about your experiences, though, and how to tackle the parks if you found it to need a different strategy than WDW.
We went to DL for the first time this past Aug for the DL half marathon. I was not disappointed by any means. I kept saying to DH "can you believe this is the same street Walt himself walked?" We liked it. We did CA as well. We are actaully planning on going back this spring. It is different, but by no means disappointing....
Mickey's Family Halloween 5k~2010
Inaugural Wine and Dine Half Marathon~2010
Disney's Family Halloween 5k~2011
Princess Half Marathon ~2012 (with my sis)
Disneyland Half marathon ~Sept 2012
COAST TO COAST MEDAL 9/12
Royal Family 5K 2013
Princess Half 2013
Royal Family 5k 2014
Inaugural Glass Slipper Challenge 2014 (10K and Half)
Upcoming…
Wine and Dine Half 2014
Inauguaral Star Wars Rebel Challenge (10k+Half) 2015
RNMAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #74
baseballmickey
DDC #644

Quote:
Originally Posted by VG9493 View Post

GO TEAM 2014!!!
Glad to hear you got your power back!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logpey View Post
About time, we were worried about you!!!!!Hope everything is good with your neighborhood & friends
All of my friends and relatives are doing well. Some still do not have power. The block we live on is in the middle of a very small pocket of the neighborhood that seems to have escaped with no damage. walk 2 blocks in either direction and the power is still out and trees are down everywhere, including on houses and cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logpey View Post
It's like having a baby---you forget the pain & do it again, just like we will again for the 2014 MP!!!!!!
I can't relate to this.

Numerous Trips as a kid from 1974-1993. WDWCP MK Custodial Spring '94. Off Property, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001. Land/Sea @ ASMR/Wonder 2002. CBR 2003. POR 2006. Off Property 2007. DVC @ SSR since 2007.. SSR 2008, 2009.. BWV March 2010. SSR December 2010.
BLT/DCL Dream/BCV July/August 2012. AKL/Vero July 2013. runDisney OKW Jan 2014. SSR/Vero/Pop July 2014. runDisney AoA Nov 2014.
DISDad #644
I'm Going Away... FOREVER! Oh, Great! Could You Get Me a Sandwich? A TR Interrupted
My First Trip Report - Escape from New York, Dec 26, 2010 - Jan 1, 2011 - COMPLETED!
Our Disney Blog: "Home is Where the Mouse is"

Treguna Mekoides and Trecorum Satis Dee
baseballmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #75
baseballmickey
DDC #644

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
Just got a disappointing phone call. Back in June of 2006, my grandmother was diagnosed with bone cancer. Her doctor told her that there was nothing that could be done and to go home and wait to die. My grandmother, not being one to go down without a fight, went to MD Anderson for a second opinion. Less than a year later, she was in remission. She has been going back for her check ups. 6 weeks ago, they detected the cancer protein in her at >.1. As of yesterday, it was at .1. This means her cancer is back. On the plus side, this is not a bad number, she kicked cancer's tail before and she can do it again. On the negative side, well, it's still cancer. They have put her on 50 mg of Thalomid. In a month, if she has tolerated it well, they will up it to 100mg. Not sure how this will affect our trip in early December. She has so been looking forward to it, though. If you are the praying type, please send up a prayer for her. If prayer isn't your thing, please think good thoughts.
sorry to hear. good thoughts for your grandmother.

Numerous Trips as a kid from 1974-1993. WDWCP MK Custodial Spring '94. Off Property, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001. Land/Sea @ ASMR/Wonder 2002. CBR 2003. POR 2006. Off Property 2007. DVC @ SSR since 2007.. SSR 2008, 2009.. BWV March 2010. SSR December 2010.
BLT/DCL Dream/BCV July/August 2012. AKL/Vero July 2013. runDisney OKW Jan 2014. SSR/Vero/Pop July 2014. runDisney AoA Nov 2014.
DISDad #644
I'm Going Away... FOREVER! Oh, Great! Could You Get Me a Sandwich? A TR Interrupted
My First Trip Report - Escape from New York, Dec 26, 2010 - Jan 1, 2011 - COMPLETED!
Our Disney Blog: "Home is Where the Mouse is"

Treguna Mekoides and Trecorum Satis Dee
baseballmickey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: