Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 04:05 PM   #46
Amy18
Eternal DISnerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
My grandparents are baptists who actually adhere to that whole "no drinking" thing. At least, my grandmother does. If we could get my grandfather to go to the Germany pavilion with my husband and dad, I have no doubt they could get him to enjoy a beer. Do the bag check people frown upon flasks being brough into the parks?
You could sneak in a bottle of water!

One thing I would suggest, is let the parents & grandparent sleep in, and take the kids to the park at opening. Then send 1 person back to get the older folks. That way the kids can enjoy some rides, so can you - without them in tow. Maybe have them stay one night for shows, and then take them back earlier than the kids so they can get settled in and the kids can have some quality time without them. And, if they are still clingy - put your foot down and say "you told me I know best about WDW, so listen when I say..." I have more tips, I will post later. I have actually made my own guide book that I tailor to each family that I plan for, so I will just look at it and give you the stuff that is relevant.

Oh- some stuff that will help me give you tips -where you staying? how long? who's in what room? Anyone using an ECV or wheelchair?

Amy
"A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Please join me for my blog:
http://amysamazingdisneyadventures.wordpress.com/
And on our weekly podcast:
http://www.mqpodcast.com/
----------------------------------------------
4/90 FtW 4/92 Poly 7/92 FtW 11/00 ASMu
5/02 ASSp 4/03 condo 4/05 CBR 4/06 Pop
3/07 CBR 5/08 AKL 4/09 BC 4/10 DCL Magic 10/11 Pop 11/11 ASMo 2/12 YC 5/12 CBR
2/13 AoA & DCL Dream 10/13 ToT10Miler
11/13 DCL Fantasy
Amy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:06 PM   #47
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah
My grandparents are baptists who actually adhere to that whole "no drinking" thing. At least, my grandmother does. If we could get my grandfather to go to the Germany pavilion with my husband and dad, I have no doubt they could get him to enjoy a beer. Do the bag check people frown upon flasks being brough into the parks?
Sorry...no glass containers and no outside alcohol.

But I won't tell on you!
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2012, 04:06 PM   #48
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy18 View Post
You could sneak in a bottle of water!

One thing I would suggest, is let the parents & grandparent sleep in, and take the kids to the park at opening. Then send 1 person back to get the older folks. That way the kids can enjoy some rides, so can you - without them in tow. Maybe have them stay one night for shows, and then take them back earlier than the kids so they can get settled in and the kids can have some quality time without them. And, if they are still clingy - put your foot down and say "you told me I know best about WDW, so listen when I say..." I have more tips, I will post later. I have actually made my own guide book that I tailor to each family that I plan for, so I will just look at it and give you the stuff that is relevant.
Truly appreciated.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:07 PM   #49
JennaDeeDooDah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher View Post
Sorry...no glass containers and no outside alcohol.

But I won't tell on you!
Well then maybe I'll just make their morning coffee a little "Irish".
Old 10-31-2012, 05:39 PM   #50
Amy18
Eternal DISnerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDad View Post
I'll try to get them up later tonight. Just finished carving the pumpkin (only had one this year), and need to get the kids an early dinner before they head out to hit the neighborhood.
With my boys being older, 1 in college, 1 in middle school, we don't carve pumpkins anymore. Last year, I used our Disney potato head pieces and used those to decorate pumpkins! We stop at Once Upon a Toy every trip and get new pieces.

DS11 didn't want to trick or treat this year, but in his defense it is 40 degrees and light rain! (I am glad he didn't want to go!)

The middle school had a Halloween Party last Friday, and the kids dressed up and had some activities at school today, so that was fun.

I made the boxes where they stick their hands in to guess what's inside. You know, peeled grapes for eyeballs, wet linguine for guts...

Amy

11/13 DCL Fantasy
Old 10-31-2012, 05:43 PM   #51
Amy18
Eternal DISnerd

Quote:
Well then maybe I'll just make their morning coffee a little "Irish".
: :yes::

Amy

11/13 DCL Fantasy
Old 10-31-2012, 05:56 PM   #52
Amy18
Eternal DISnerd

Quote:
Truly appreciated.
Jenna- another suggestion-

Maybe book afternoon tea at the GF for all the girls and rent a boat for all the men to go fishing, or just cruising around Bay Lake?

I always suggest too, discuss the trip with everyone together, if possible, about a week before you go, and let each person pick one activity that is important to them - whether it's a special photo op in a certain location or with a certain character, dining at a special restaurant, doing an activity outside the parks.

Maybe one adult hanging back with the kids at the resort while the others head to Downtown Disney for the evening.

Get away from the crowd for the night shows, so that you aren't fighting your way through with a big group that might get lost, or ECV's that will crash in to or clip other guest's feet on the way out. Maybe go to Poly and watch wishes from the Beach. You can see Illuminations pretty well at CBR and BC, and Boardwalk. You won't get the full effect, but it is pretty cool.

Fantasmic- the second show usually is not as crowded. And after the show, sit there for about 15 minutes before heading out, then you are not with the cattle herd. Or, sit at the very top and leave just before the finale.

Don't try to do everything! Pick one attraction in each land/section of each park, and only commit to doing that.

If you want to souvenir shop - go to DTD on a weekday at 9am! There is no one there. We do that all the time. If going in a shop at the parks is a must, also do that first thing, or during lunch time.

And, check the bottom of your receipts for any restaurants you eat at. The last two times we went, we got a coupon at the bottom where if you took your receipt and went to the major gift shop in each park before noon you got 25% off the ENTIRE purchase! And yes, it included Dooney n Bourke! There were no restrictions! It just had to be used before noon, and it expired I think 3 days later.

Send all the men to WWOS to tour and have lunch at the ESPN club there, or go to ESPN club on the Boardwalk while all the ladies and kids do something at DHS or Epcot. Or have the kids do the Pirate Adventure while the moms all go to tea at GF, or a spa treatment?

I think that if you sit down and discuss all these possibilities with everyone together, they might be more open to splitting up for a little bit, maybe at least for one or two days? It will definitely save your sanity, and hopefully prevent some meltdowns.

Amy

11/13 DCL Fantasy
Old 10-31-2012, 07:07 PM   #53
cbkamommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Hmmm....I can top that! (not that I want to) Monday I had another breast MRI because they can't tell if I am just forming scar tissue from my lumpectomy in August, or if it's a new tumor. Yesterday I had a core biopsy, and pre-op tests for my surgery next Wednesday. Then they took 14 - yes I said 14 vials of blood from me. THEN I click on my stupid email after dinner and see the stupid "sorry loser" email!!!

Oohhh- I can't wait to hear about your trip to DL! I have never been. Which is silly because DH has a ton of family in Anaheim. His aunt has a HUGE house with 5 empty bedrooms, and an "extra" Mercedes we could use. We are thinking about going next summer for a week. I am dying to see Cars Land, and to play Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, because it is supposed to be better than Space Ranger Spin, because you can actually lift up the guns!
Okay you have me beat! Only 4 tubes of blood here!

Can you aunt adopt me? Really I am super nice

I love Disneyland. I think it is better than the Magic Kingdom. Though I love WDW too. They both have great aspects.

Fantasmic as Disneyland is better....though seating can be a pain. Go to the 2nd show. Much easier to get a good seat. Go in as people are coming out.

I also like Space Mountain better at DLR.

When you go let me know....I will fill you in

So excited for CARS land my boys are over the top!

Heather DH
DS-9 DS-6 DS-4 DS-1
cbkamommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:27 PM   #54
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy18

Hmmm....I can top that! (not that I want to) Monday I had another breast MRI because they can't tell if I am just forming scar tissue from my lumpectomy in August, or if it's a new tumor. Yesterday I had a core biopsy, and pre-op tests for my surgery next Wednesday. Then they took 14 - yes I said 14 vials of blood from me. THEN I click on my stupid email after dinner and see the stupid "sorry loser" email!!!

Oohhh- I can't wait to hear about your trip to DL! I have never been. Which is silly because DH has a ton of family in Anaheim. His aunt has a HUGE house with 5 empty bedrooms, and an "extra" Mercedes we could use. We are thinking about going next summer for a week. I am dying to see Cars Land, and to play Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, because it is supposed to be better than Space Ranger Spin, because you can actually lift up the guns!
Ugh. I donate blood four times a year and 14 vials still sounds miserable.

If she's looking to adopt a family, we're available too!
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Old 10-31-2012, 07:45 PM   #55
sdaniels32
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethA View Post
Joining you over here although I will not be applying again next year. I feel my age and the age of my kids was against me.
I will cheer you on next year though. Mad at myself for feeling let down. Wish they told you what the winners had that you did not.
. Hi all. I have been lurking, and posted only once or twice. Last year I made it to round 2 and was truly devastated when I didn't move on. This year I made it to r2 again, but just lurked and tried not to get too wrapped up in it. I was better when I got the no, but I am still bummed. However, I feel like I know you guys even tho I mostly lurked! Your posts made me laugh and cry! I wanted to give those of you that were sad a big hug, cause that was me last year. I swore I would never apply again, and I am swearing it again, but who knows? Anyway, thanks for making mè laugh, I was rooting for you all, and I hope I can join in a littłe to commiserate?

sdaniels32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:47 PM   #56
baseballmickey
DDC #644

Hey fellow 2014ers!!

Officially checking in!! It's been an interesting few days with everything going on. Tuesday was so weird. I was getting bored sitting in the house and it wasn't bad outside so I started cleaning up all the branches and leaves. At some point, the power came back on. I found out I didn't need to go to work, and I finished cleaning the entire front yard. Starving, I went inside, helped with dinner, and then collapsed on the couch afterwards. I was playing words with friends or SongPop on my phone when I realized I had email. I honestly never thought it would be THE email in there. I figured they'd wait until the end of the week. I did a double take at the sender, then opened it. I held my breath when I saw the subject line was different from last year's. (In the back of my mind, I also realized it wasn't the wording that a previous R3er had posted on FB) I scrolled down, and with each line I knew I was reading a "No" email. Still, I kept going, needing to see the actual line that said it in black and white. When I got to that point, I actually felt relieved. I am not sure why. It's not because I don't want to be on the panel. It was just the uncertainty of it all. At least now I could move on with my life.

It was later in the evening when I considered logging on to the DIS that I realized that I was actually feeling hurt and decided to just go to sleep instead. I'm sorry if I allowed anyone to get their hopes up for me since I hadn't checked in.

This was my third year applying. I also made it to R2 last year. When I got the "No Thanks" last year I was very upset. I dropped off the MP thread just like that. This year is different because I was more active on the thread and you are all actual people to me instead of just "the competition". I am honestly surprised that I didn't see some of your names on the list of those who made it. In some ways that is bothering more than not making it myself. But I also know that since I've made it to R2 again, it wasn't a fluke last year.

So now we wait, and watch, and root on those who are still in the running. We'll be happy for the ones who are ultimately chosen, and we'll be here to console those who don't and welcome them to the 2014 group. And we continue to do what we all love to do.

My next vacation is unplanned, for right now. We're waiting on the 2014 DCL itineraries to be released so we can book that. We were thinking of doing a week at HHI in the summer, and a weekend in late Sept/early Oct at WDW for MNSSHP/F&W. DW said the other day, "What about Vero instead of HHI?" At first I couldn't understand why she would want to change, but then I realized that would solve my dilemma about a qualifying trip. We couldn't very well go to Vero without shooting up to WDW for at least a day, right???

So, (raising bottle of pepsi) here's to my fellow 2013 also-rans, and 2014 hopefuls. Thank you for making this a better experience for me this time around. I look forward to applying with you all again next year.

In the meantime, I should get back to my neglected TR, and there were a whole bunch of questions from the last thread that I don't think I answered about myself... I'll get to those as well.

Numerous Trips as a kid from 1974-1993. WDWCP MK Custodial Spring '94. Off Property, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001. Land/Sea @ ASMR/Wonder 2002. CBR 2003. POR 2006. Off Property 2007. DVC @ SSR since 2007.. SSR 2008, 2009.. BWV March 2010. SSR December 2010.
BLT/DCL Dream/BCV July/August 2012
DISDad #644
I'm Going Away... FOREVER! Oh, Great! Could You Get Me a Sandwich? A TR In Progress
My First Trip Report - Escape from New York, Dec 26, 2010 - Jan 1, 2011 - COMPLETED!
Our Disney Blog: "Home is Where the Mouse is"

Treguna Mekoides and Trecorum Satis Dee
baseballmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:36 AM   #57
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballmickey
Hey fellow 2014ers!!

Officially checking in!! It's been an interesting few days with everything going on. Tuesday was so weird. I was getting bored sitting in the house and it wasn't bad outside so I started cleaning up all the branches and leaves. At some point, the power came back on. I found out I didn't need to go to work, and I finished cleaning the entire front yard. Starving, I went inside, helped with dinner, and then collapsed on the couch afterwards. I was playing words with friends or SongPop on my phone when I realized I had email. I honestly never thought it would be THE email in there. I figured they'd wait until the end of the week. I did a double take at the sender, then opened it. I held my breath when I saw the subject line was different from last year's. (In the back of my mind, I also realized it wasn't the wording that a previous R3er had posted on FB) I scrolled down, and with each line I knew I was reading a "No" email. Still, I kept going, needing to see the actual line that said it in black and white. When I got to that point, I actually felt relieved. I am not sure why. It's not because I don't want to be on the panel. It was just the uncertainty of it all. At least now I could move on with my life.

It was later in the evening when I considered logging on to the DIS that I realized that I was actually feeling hurt and decided to just go to sleep instead. I'm sorry if I allowed anyone to get their hopes up for me since I hadn't checked in.

This was my third year applying. I also made it to R2 last year. When I got the "No Thanks" last year I was very upset. I dropped off the MP thread just like that. This year is different because I was more active on the thread and you are all actual people to me instead of just "the competition". I am honestly surprised that I didn't see some of your names on the list of those who made it. In some ways that is bothering more than not making it myself. But I also know that since I've made it to R2 again, it wasn't a fluke last year.

So now we wait, and watch, and root on those who are still in the running. We'll be happy for the ones who are ultimately chosen, and we'll be here to console those who don't and welcome them to the 2014 group. And we continue to do what we all love to do.

My next vacation is unplanned, for right now. We're waiting on the 2014 DCL itineraries to be released so we can book that. We were thinking of doing a week at HHI in the summer, and a weekend in late Sept/early Oct at WDW for MNSSHP/F&W. DW said the other day, "What about Vero instead of HHI?" At first I couldn't understand why she would want to change, but then I realized that would solve my dilemma about a qualifying trip. We couldn't very well go to Vero without shooting up to WDW for at least a day, right???

So, (raising bottle of pepsi) here's to my fellow 2013 also-rans, and 2014 hopefuls. Thank you for making this a better experience for me this time around. I look forward to applying with you all again next year.

In the meantime, I should get back to my neglected TR, and there were a whole bunch of questions from the last thread that I don't think I answered about myself... I'll get to those as well.
Glad to know you've weathered the storm!
And here's to 2014!
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Old 11-01-2012, 07:35 AM   #58
Amy18
Eternal DISnerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbkamommy View Post
Okay you have me beat! Only 4 tubes of blood here!

Can you aunt adopt me? Really I am super nice

I love Disneyland. I think it is better than the Magic Kingdom. Though I love WDW too. They both have great aspects.

Fantasmic as Disneyland is better....though seating can be a pain. Go to the 2nd show. Much easier to get a good seat. Go in as people are coming out.

I also like Space Mountain better at DLR.

When you go let me know....I will fill you in

So excited for CARS land my boys are over the top!
Do you do windows?
Then she might consider adopting you
Haha I just thought of the movie Annie - she will put you to work and you'll be scrubbing floors!

Yes, I have heard all those things about DL. I will let you know when I am seriously ready to plan so you can give me more pointers

Amy

11/13 DCL Fantasy
Old 11-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #59
JennaDeeDooDah

Quote:
Jenna- another suggestion-

Maybe book afternoon tea at the GF for all the girls and rent a boat for all the men to go fishing, or just cruising around Bay Lake?

I always suggest too, discuss the trip with everyone together, if possible, about a week before you go, and let each person pick one activity that is important to them - whether it's a special photo op in a certain location or with a certain character, dining at a special restaurant, doing an activity outside the parks.

Maybe one adult hanging back with the kids at the resort while the others head to Downtown Disney for the evening.

Get away from the crowd for the night shows, so that you aren't fighting your way through with a big group that might get lost, or ECV's that will crash in to or clip other guest's feet on the way out. Maybe go to Poly and watch wishes from the Beach. You can see Illuminations pretty well at CBR and BC, and Boardwalk. You won't get the full effect, but it is pretty cool.

Fantasmic- the second show usually is not as crowded. And after the show, sit there for about 15 minutes before heading out, then you are not with the cattle herd. Or, sit at the very top and leave just before the finale.

Don't try to do everything! Pick one attraction in each land/section of each park, and only commit to doing that.

If you want to souvenir shop - go to DTD on a weekday at 9am! There is no one there. We do that all the time. If going in a shop at the parks is a must, also do that first thing, or during lunch time.

And, check the bottom of your receipts for any restaurants you eat at. The last two times we went, we got a coupon at the bottom where if you took your receipt and went to the major gift shop in each park before noon you got 25% off the ENTIRE purchase! And yes, it included Dooney n Bourke! There were no restrictions! It just had to be used before noon, and it expired I think 3 days later.

Send all the men to WWOS to tour and have lunch at the ESPN club there, or go to ESPN club on the Boardwalk while all the ladies and kids do something at DHS or Epcot. Or have the kids do the Pirate Adventure while the moms all go to tea at GF, or a spa treatment?

I think that if you sit down and discuss all these possibilities with everyone together, they might be more open to splitting up for a little bit, maybe at least for one or two days? It will definitely save your sanity, and hopefully prevent some meltdowns.
I did as everyone to give me 1-2 things in each park that they really wanted to do. From that, I sort of made a list of "must-dos", "possibly-dos", and "skips". Sis was quite unhappy that there were things on the skip list. She said that she didn't want to skip anything. I tried explaining to her that we are going to be there for 8 days, one of which she will be at Universal during, and that I wasn't able to do everything when I was in the college program. She insists that she was able to do everything when she went two falls ago. The rest have much more realistic expectations.

High tea might work, but my grandparents are very early risers and love their afternoon naps. Love the idea of one adult staying with DD while she naps and others having the option of heading back to the park, going to DTD, or relaxing by the pool.

With night shows, I am absolutely insistent that I see Fantasmic. It's my favorite, so I will be sure to try and catch the second show. My dad already said he will take DD back to the hotel and put her to bed so I can catch it, so the late show is very possible for me. Good tip. None of the guys care about Wishes or MSEP, except DH, so it looks to just be me, mom, gm, and DH. Problem is, they really want to see Tinkerbell. I'm thinking we will just hang back after the show and wait for people to clear out a bit. With Illuminations, we have the CP dining package which includes priority seating for Illuminations. Never done this before. Any ideas of where we will be and what the crowd will be like when it is over?

DTD is planned for Tuesday of our trip. I'll be sure to tell people to hold off on purchases until that day. Thanks a lot!

Had no idea about eh 25% off coupon! Huge tip. Really appreciate that one.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:58 AM   #60
MissLiz
DIS Veteran

Good morning, my friends!!!

Well, we survived trick-or-treating.

My 3-year-old just kept wanting to go and go and go. I finally had to stop her when her fingers started to feel like ice.

We usually go out with some friends of ours and they always buy about 10lbs of candy, but nobody stays home to hand it all out. They just put a little container on their front porch. So, at 9:30 last night, as we were starting to leave, the mom started shoveling candy into my girls' bags! We brought home so much candy, I don't know what to do with it!

I hope everyone is feeling a little better today. I'm getting to where I'm starting to feel excited about our trip tomorrow, but I'm still not quite there. I'm hoping that walking into the AKL lobby will do it for me.

baseballmickey --definitely try out Vero Beach! We were there for Memorial Day and we loved it! The waves are a little rough, but the resort is wonderful. We decided on an oceanview inn studio when we went and it was lovely walking out onto the balcony to see the ocean.

And, of course, you have to make a stop at WDW...it's right there!

I'm trying to clean off my desk today since I'll be out for a few days, but I'm going to try to check in once in a while.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: