Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #16
BethA
DIS Veteran

No not rude, I brought it up. I am 54 and my sons are 23 and 16 but we have been cruising on Disney since 2001 for a total of 15 times so I have experience with all age groups over the years.
Last year I did not make it to round 2 so this was harder this year and I do feel pretty disappointed
BethA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:13 PM   #17
Amy18
Eternal DISnerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLiz View Post
I'm going to tell you all to please apply next year!!! This comes from experience.

Last year I just got into a big funk when I didn't make it past the first round for the umpteenth time and I pretty much said, screw it, I'm done.

And then this year, I was reading a trip report and the author said something about applying for the mom's panel and I realized that I actually missed the application process, so I logged on and threw in some answers.

And I made it to Round 2 for the first time ever! And I've decided that I'm going to spend the next year really working on my writing so that when the time comes again, I can just throw down some great answers and keep building on this year.

Wow, who let Little Miss Sunshine in here? Somebody tell her to get lost!

Get out! Get out! Get out!

Just kidding. I agree with you completely.
It just stings right now. But I know we will all get past this and move on.

Amy
"A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Please join me for my blog:
http://amysamazingdisneyadventures.wordpress.com/
And on our weekly podcast:
http://www.mqpodcast.com/
----------------------------------------------
4/90 FtW 4/92 Poly 7/92 FtW 11/00 ASMu
5/02 ASSp 4/03 condo 4/05 CBR 4/06 Pop
3/07 CBR 5/08 AKL 4/09 BC 4/10 DCL Magic 10/11 Pop 11/11 ASMo 2/12 YC 5/12 CBR
2/13 AoA & DCL Dream 10/13 ToT10Miler
11/13 DCL Fantasy
Amy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2012, 12:21 PM   #18
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy18 View Post
Hi Jenna! Welcome! We are glad you are here!
I can't wait to hear all about your trip next month!
Oh stay tuned! This is likely to be a very interesting trip report. Four generations are going: Me, DH30, DD2, Dsister30, Dmom56, Ddad56, Dgrandmother80, and dgradnfather82. Then, Sister's best friend, plus her husband and two kids (DD4 and DS6) decided to come along.

DGF is a disabled vet with back problems who likes to grumble and complain a lot. Also enjoys arguing for the sake of arguing. For example, when watching football, he will find out who everyone else is cheering for and cheer for the other team. DGM often lets it go, but will likely pick a couple of battles this trip if he seems to be disrupting the fun. Both will have ECVs. Neither have been to WDW before, but lived near Anaheim back when Disneyland was still quite new and loved IASW, Pirates, Carousel of Progress, and Haunted Mansion. DD2 is speech delayed, so I'm not at all sure how our character meals will go - worried that none of them will be able to understand here which will break her heart as she talks about seeing Mickey all the time. Dsister is quite angry that the grandparents decided to join us. Insists that she does not want to skip a single ride, show, or other attraction. Dmom is worried about keeping her parents content.

We are all really looking forward to our trip, but I am certain that some rather funny stories will come out of our vacation.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #19
SAHDad
DIS Veteran

Just checking in. I'll apply next year - this was the first time ever getting to R2, and I'd applied every year, so I'm hoping that my persistence is starting to pay off.

I kinda zoned out halfway through my last trip report attempt, but I'll try it again when we are down there after Thanksgiving. If I take the laptop, and download a couple of pics every day, I might actually get it written while we are there.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
SAHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:59 PM   #20
cbkamommy
Mouseketeer

I will be back next year.

This is my 2nd year applying. Both years I made it to round 2.

I am surprisingly okay this year.

I am more bummed because we are going on a trip to Disneyland in 2 weeks thanks to my DH's parents. They wanted to take all the grand kids. We were planning to upgrade our passes and get season passes. But now my husband just found out he is being replaced by a consultant early next year. So not really thinking it is wise to spend that money right now. So after our trip in 2 weeks I don't know when we will be back. We have been to DLR or WDW at least 1 time per year the past 10 years. I always know when our next trip is. I won't know what to do with myself!

So now no Disney panel this year and no annual pass next year. Unless some pixie dust flies our way and something opens up before we go in 2 weeks?

Okay that is my sob story.

Oh wait yesterday I got blood drawn, a flu shot, and a no from the mom's panel.....I was able to milk that a little last night

Okay now the sob story is done.

Heather DH
DS-9 DS-6 DS-4 DS-1
cbkamommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:08 PM   #21
mjaclyn
Currently in Wonderland

Hi Everybody,

I'm still slightly depressed today but I'm feeling better emotionally. I wish I could say the same physically!! Lol I went to the doctor this morning and he put me on an antibiotic so hopefully I'll be better within the next couple of days.

I am definitely going to continue applying for the panel. I really really hope that 2014 is my year. I think next year I'm going to try to stay away because after posting about the panel, reading and thinking about it every day... It was much more difficult when I didn't make it. I think it will be a lot easier for me if I try not to do that next time.

I wish you all the best for next year's panel!!! Thanks so much for sharing this crazy ride.

mjaclyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:18 PM   #22
MissLiz
DIS Veteran

I completely understand the financial thing. Last year we went to WDW in Sept and decided to buy annual passes. And then, right before Halloween, my DH found out that the practice he had just started with in June decided not to have his position anymore and he was let go.

So, there we are, we had just bought into DVC, had annual passes, and we were going to try to live on my salary. Yeah, not good.

Luckily, the company that he had left to go to that job really, really wanted him back and they created a position for him so that he could get back in.

Good luck with !!!
Old 10-31-2012, 01:18 PM   #23
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah
I didn't apply this year as I haven't been to WDW since 2008. However, I am going in just a little over a month and will also be returning next fall. That makes me eligible again! I look forward to applying, getting absolutely no sleep, and checking my email ever 20-30 seconds. Just one short year away!
Me too on the ineligible this year thing. I haven't been to the WDW since my honeymoon in January 2004. But don't feel too badly for us, we've been enjoying DCL and are super happy now that they're sailing from right near us in Galveston.

So when I found out they were adding itineraries from here that included stops in Castaway Cay and Port Canaveral (WDW!!!!!) I had to book a second cruise for the year and then they've got some super great deals on some of the four nights as well...how much vacation is too much?

Ahem...anyway, that's me!
313 days of relaxation until the WDW Moms Panel Application process starts again!
Assuming its the Monday after Labor Day again...
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:20 PM   #24
MissLiz
DIS Veteran

I'd like to add, too, that one thing good about not making it to R3...I'm getting a TON of work done.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #25
DopeyDame
DIS Veteran

Howdy! I didn't really post on the round 2 threads because I was just trying not to think about it and go on with life. Now that I go the big "no thanks!" I'm back and waiting for next year!
I actually feel pretty zen about things right now. This is my second time making it to round 2. And the first time, while I spent a TON of time on my essays and videos, I still didn't really feel like they portrayed "me" and I wasn't really thrilled wiht my submissions. This year, though, I feel like my essays and video gave the judges an accurate understanding of who I am, what I'm like, and what I know about Disney. If that person isn't who they want for the panel this year, there's really nothing I can do about that. I'm sure each year they have some "holes" to fill. This year, I didn't fit into one of those holes. Maybe next year I will! It's a much better feeling than the one I had in the past where I felt like I didn't give myself a fair shot, ya know? OK... that's my philosphizing for the day.

I have a question, though... do you think they consider how many times you log in with your website account? Ages ago, I created an online account with my DH's name for a vacation we were planning using the email address we reserve for vacation planning. I can't remmeber exactly why I used his name instead of mine, but I did, and your name and birthdate are the two things you can't change in your profile. So anyway, three years ago when I first applied for the moms panel, I created a new account with my name and a different email list. I log onto that occasionally when I'm just playing with some ideas, but when we actually book a trip I usually use the original one with my husbands name. Do you think that could matter? Should I use the one with my name in preparation for next year's process?
DopeyDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #26
Suzanne033
Nobody on their deathbed ever wishes they spent more time at the office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeyDame View Post
I have a question, though... do you think they consider how many times you log in with your website account? Do you think that could matter? Should I use the one with my name in preparation for next year's process?
I would have to say that can't be an indicator because I have never booked a Disney vacation through the Disney.com website and I made it to Round 2. I use it mostly for intel and to book ADRs. I have a friend who is a travel agent that does it all for me. I just tell her the 3WH and she books it.
1986 - Off-Site; 1997 - Thanksgiving - Polynesian; 2001 - Christmas - All Star Sports; 2004 - Beach Club/Disney Wonder; 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 - AAU Volleyball Nationals @ WWoS; 2013 - Mom Panel Training - Boardwalk; 2014 - Christmas - Grand Floridian

MouseQuest Podcast - The MQ is your HQ for all things Disney
Suzanne033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:41 PM   #27
SAHDad
DIS Veteran

Quick share:

So, I'm sitting here, waiting for the kids to come home, checking email and waiting for the dishwasher to finish. Doorbell rings. I answer it, only to find Captain Jack Sparrow at the door.

The son (who is in his 20s) of our next door neighbor had dressed up as Captain Jack to take his daughter out to see the grandparents for Halloween. So, I got a couple of pics with Captain Jack today.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
SAHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:00 PM   #28
MissLiz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDad View Post
Quick share:

So, I'm sitting here, waiting for the kids to come home, checking email and waiting for the dishwasher to finish. Doorbell rings. I answer it, only to find Captain Jack Sparrow at the door.

The son (who is in his 20s) of our next door neighbor had dressed up as Captain Jack to take his daughter out to see the grandparents for Halloween. So, I got a couple of pics with Captain Jack today.

That is pretty cool!

We really should dress up with the kids, but the closest I've come is wearing cat ears and a tail one year.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #29
DSRMary
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethA View Post
No not rude, I brought it up. I am 54 and my sons are 23 and 16 but we have been cruising on Disney since 2001 for a total of 15 times so I have experience with all age groups over the years.
Last year I did not make it to round 2 so this was harder this year and I do feel pretty disappointed
Keep at it! I'll be 51 next month and although last night I would have said "never again", I'll be like Dory, just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming swimming swimming... I've applied every year since the Moms Panel began, made it to R2 twice. I figure getting to R2 twice, I must be doing SOMETHING right. At least that's what I am telling myself.

If you can dream it, you can do it.
- Walt Disney
DSRMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:12 PM   #30
BethA
DIS Veteran

just saw something on someone's blog that one of the best things about being chosen was acquiring a close group of friends who share your love of Disney. Well, even though I have not posted much prior to sharing my disappointment I do feel I have gotten to know all of you and enjoyed hearing everyone's stories about Disney and life in general. Being worried constantly about my mom's health I know this is insignificant in life's let downs. It would have been an honor to be picked and so much fun to experience, but I have a group of Disney fanatics here to share with.
BethA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: