Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 01:09 PM   #16
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran

My son was an exception, but for good reason. He was 3 years, 9 months. But he has developmental disabilities, and is developmentally, and size wise, more of a young 2 year old. He would never have fit in the club, even if he was potty trained. When we sail in May, he will be 4, but will probably still be in the nursery.

When I registered him, I clicked that he was not potty trained, and it automatically put him in the nursery, and I could book times. I also double checked with the staff before leaving him in there.

Now, if your DS is potty trained, doesn't have special needs, etc.. I am not sure it would be allowed, for reasons that others have mentioned.

Me DH DS 5

Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:44 PM   #17
Happy100
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus6 View Post
You clearly haven't met my daughter.

And, I'm sure my son will use the club as well. I was just talking about times when my daughter would be in the nursery.

The ages for the nursery say 3 months - 3 years, so I was hoping they might let the fact that he is one day too old slide.

Anyone have an actual experience where they were able to get an older child in?
No I don't know your daughter or have experience bringing a 4 yr old child on a cruise that I wanted to keep in a nursery. I wouldn't try to slip him in just be honest and ask but if he has been in the club he will definitely not want to go to the nursery and I wouldn't hold him back for your daughters sake. Still book Palo but do it towards the end of the cruise so she has time to transition...she may surprise you. It is a Disney cruise and the cast members are great with kids. Believe me you aren't the only parent with a shy/stranger adverse child to cruise on Disney.

Disney Fantasy 1/3/15 "Finally Gold"
Disney Fantasy 3/29/14
Disney Fantasy 12/15/12
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 2/12/12
Disney Magic 7 day Western 10/16/10
Disney Wonder 4 day Bahamas 8/22/09

Last edited by Happy100; 10-31-2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: wrong word
Happy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #18
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy100

No I don't know your daughter or have experience bringing a 4 yr old child on a cruise that I wanted to keep in a nursery. I wouldn't try to slip him in just be honest and ask but if he has been in the club he will definitely not want to go to the nursery and I wouldn't hold him back for your daughters sake. Still book Palo but do it towards the end of the cruise so she has time to transition...she may surprise you. It is a Disney cruise and the cast members are great with kids. Believe me you aren't the only parent with a shy/stranger adverse child to cruise on Disney.
I agree! I think I would go ahead and book Palo for later in the cruise, and just see how it goes! It can never hurt to ask about your 4yo, the worst they can say is "no". Also, you may try to leave her for a short time, and find that she will be okay, and then regret not booking! If worst comes to worst, you can cancel palo later if its not working.

Me DH DS 5

Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:43 PM   #19
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The ages for the nursery say 3 months - 3 years, so I was hoping they might let the fact that he is one day too old slide.
I think there needs to be age clarification.

I'm reading " for children 12 weeks to 3 years old" on their website to mean they go *up to* 3 years old. So your new (at the time of the cruise) 4 year old will actually be one YEAR too old, not one DAY.

Since the Club age starts at 3, it really seems the nursery is for kids up to 2 years 364 days old, and isn't inclusive of actual 3 year olds.

You never totally know with kids. My cousin's daughter, at 4, was incredibly happy and gregarious, and talks to strangers with no problem, but REFUSED to stay longer than half an hour in the club. Simply refused. Even with her big brother there. They had NO idea she would do that, they thought that the brother would be the problem, but he absolutely loved the club, while their talkative not-scared-of-strangers kid was the one cancelling all of their adult activities.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:56 PM   #20
sdKT
wonder 9.25.11

Quote:
I thought about fibbing but it seems their ages are programmed into the computer system.
its up to 3yrs old. so he's a year too old if he just turns 4.
yes they know ages cuz u check them in by name - all in the computer

the nursery people are very good about contacting you if she's jsut crying and having a horrible time. i would try once and see. u don't lose anything. THey do try to engage and there will be other toddlers taht she might want to play with, or might not...
the worst is u will be back in 10 mins and pick her up. i believe you that she's not into strangers. but i also try it. im cruising with an older DD and my toddler is 20 months so ill be in your boat as well. good luck.
sdKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:57 AM   #21
Ariel224
DIS Veteran

I'm a little hesitant to post here because I don't want to come across as telling anyone how to parent or assuming that I know someone's child better than they do. I just want to offer my own insights, as someone who has worked with both infants and toddlers in a church nursery setting for several years. The following points are generalizations based on my own experiences and observations in working with many many children.

What a lot of parents term as "fear of strangers" isn't so much about the presence of the stranger; it's really more about the SEPARATION from the parent. And trust me, we will do everything within our power to console and engage the child. More often than not, the crying stops within 10 minutes. If the child doesn't settle in within 15 or 20 minutes, then we will page the parent, but encourage them to return next week and just keep trying. Granted, there are times I will have to hold a child in my lap for the entire time to keep the crying stopped, but that simply means that he trusts me and we have formed a small bond. When the child to caregiver ratio favors that level of attention, it is perfectly fine. If the numbers aren't so favorable, we will try to bring in extra baby holders (preteen girls with babysitting aspirations are great for this), or we may have to page the parent as a last resort.

The parent's attitude at drop off and pick up time is hugely important. The kids sense parental anxiety. The most successful situations are those where a smiling parent hands over the child without any hesitation, waves, promises to return soon, and goes. At pick up, we make a huge positive deal about Mommy or Daddy coming back, just like they said they would! (For the record, the worst thing that can happen is when the parent tries to return a few minutes later to peek in without being seen. Nine times out of ten they will get spotted by the child, and any progress is immediately undone.)

Bringing in an older sibling can SOMETIMES be helpful for the toddlers IF that older sibling is willing/able to forgo their own desire to play and put their focus exclusively on the toddler. They have to be willing to act as a babysitter. I've really only seen this successfully happen if the older one is a lot older (8ish or above).

I've occasionally, for one reason or another, had to have a 3 or 4 year old in with the babies. It can present a challenge in keeping the little ones safe. Preschoolers love to run, jump and climb, and they are quite oblivious to the crawling 9 month old that happens to be in their path. If the older ones don't have age appropriate toys and activities, it is even more difficult to manage the situation.

Just my $0.02. Take from it what you will.

OP, I hope that both you and your children have an amazingly wonderful cruise!

Disneyland November 2-5, 2009; November 11-21, 2010; November 7-11, 2011
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean November 10-17, 2012
Ariel224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:22 AM   #22
moore523
Mouseketeer

Yup, I totally understand! Our kiddos are 5 and 2 (6 and almost 3 at the time of the cruise) and we're hoping that as long as our youngest is potty trained by then--they'll let him go up a step to be with his big sister. I'm not even certain he'll do okay then, but he definitely won't do well on his own--no matter how fun the area is!

Walt Disney World "Family of 4" Vacations
August 2010
September 2011
March 2012
August 2013
April 2014

Disney's Vero Beach Resort
October 2012

Disney Cruise Line
April 2013
September 2014
moore523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #23
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I think there needs to be age clarification.

I'm reading " for children 12 weeks to 3 years old" on their website to mean they go *up to* 3 years old. So your new (at the time of the cruise) 4 year old will actually be one YEAR too old, not one DAY.

Since the Club age starts at 3, it really seems the nursery is for kids up to 2 years 364 days old, and isn't inclusive of actual 3 year olds.
Actually, I think it's intentionally a little vague with an overlap year for 3-year-olds. The Club/Lab and Edge also have a couple of overlap years. It's to allow for variations in child development. Many 3-year-olds are not yet potty-trained, especially if they recently turned 3, and those children will default to the nursery. A 3-year-old who is potty-trained will default to the Club/Lab unless there are other developmental concerns, like Momma2Jax indicated. That said, a 4-year-old is definitely considered Club/Lab age and outside the age range/developmental stage considered appropriate for the nursery.

The best OP can do is ask once onboard, but not expect it because a 4-year-old in the nursery is literally taking a space away from a child who legitimately belongs in that group since they do limit how many kids at a time in the nursery.

Good luck and hopefully the children will have a magical time in their respective clubs!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #24
mybeachbabies
Mouseketeer

I wouldn't give up on the nursery quite yet. My youngest has been nursery age during all of our cruises. He has to go to the nursery while his older 3 siblings get to go to the club and lab. I'm a stay at home mom and he had never stayed with anyone that wasn't family. On our first cruise, the first day drop off was hard. He did cry, but not for long. The nursery staff is really good with engaging them and calming them down. The next day, he cried again but for only a minute or two. Same with the rest of the cruise. This last cruise, he cried for a minute the first day, the rest of the time he was so excited to go and would grab his backpack and walk in with no problems whatsoever. When he would get to the nursery he would say "It's Me!". They were great with him. The nursery staff on the Wonder is wonderful.

I really don't think they will let your 4 your old stay in the nursery, and he probably wouldn't enjoy it as much as the club. In fact they took my 2 1/2 year old to the club to play sometimes so he wouldn't get bored. Your son being potty trained wouldn't be a problem because they do take kids to the potty if they are potty trained, but they seem to be pretty strict with age range when it involves kids that are older than the stated age.

Go ahead and book Palo later in the cruise and give the nursery a chance. They will call if your daughter is having a rough time, but she may surprise you and be just fine. You will never know if you don't give it a try.

Dream 11/6/11 ~ Wonder MR 3/18/12 ~ Wonder Pacific Coast 10/7/12 ~ Fantasy Eastern 6/15/13 ~ Wonder San Diego 5/17/14 ~ Fantasy Western 6/7/14
mybeachbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #25
SoCaOC-Mom
DIS Veteran

I just wanted to add another possible option. If you book your Palo dinner for later in the evening in a time where your little one is already usually gone to sleep then maybe you can bring her there and she won't even know. Then your older child can enjoy the club or even go to sleep there if he wants to.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
SoCaOC-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:35 AM   #26
briarrose1
Disney Fanatic Since 1995♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menada1115 View Post
I am actually having the opposite problem. My daughter is 2 months from turning 3 and I would like her to be with her older sister/cousins in the club. Not sure they will take her in the club because she isn't quite 3. But, here's to hoping.
My reasons are the same as yours. She does NOT do strangers, even when I am right there with her. I'm not even sure she will stay with her older sister...I know for a fact that she will not stay in the nursery with no familiar face.
I was just told that for the group above 3 yo - Oceaneer's, that if they are completely potty trained and close to the age parameter, that they can go to the Oceaneers.

I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing—that it was all started by a mouse. ~ Walt Disney
briarrose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #27
Menada1115
Mouseketeer

Thanks!
I'm hoping she will be able to go. She has been potty trained since she was 17 months old...so, she knows how to do all that on her own. Hopefully having cousins and a sister in there, she will just fit right in.

Me DH DD(16) DS(14) DD(9) DD(3)

09/2005- POP
11/2009- POP
11/2010- Hilton Garden Inn @ Sea World
10/2011- POR
1/2012- POR
12/2012- Disney Cruise
11/2013- Disney Cruise
Menada1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #28
platypus6
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
Actually, I think it's intentionally a little vague with an overlap year for 3-year-olds. The Club/Lab and Edge also have a couple of overlap years. It's to allow for variations in child development. Many 3-year-olds are not yet potty-trained, especially if they recently turned 3, and those children will default to the nursery. A 3-year-old who is potty-trained will default to the Club/Lab unless there are other developmental concerns, like Momma2Jax indicated. That said, a 4-year-old is definitely considered Club/Lab age and outside the age range/developmental stage considered appropriate for the nursery.
That was my impression as well.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's input. I will just have to see how everything works out once onboard.
platypus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #29
Woodmnky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That was my impression as well.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's input. I will just have to see how everything works out once onboard.
Good luck. Regardless I am sure that you will enjoy your cruise. As a parent of a child who at times becomes hysterical when the grocery checker say's hi to him, I understand that there are children who are way beyond inable to stay with strangers. That being said, I do plan to try the nursery. I have several times booked when we are not really planning to do anything. I will stay outside and if it isn't going well after 10 minutes, we will check him out. I want to give him the option to try, even if I don't think that it will go well.
Woodmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #30
grits98
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menada1115 View Post
Thanks!
I'm hoping she will be able to go. She has been potty trained since she was 17 months old...so, she knows how to do all that on her own. Hopefully having cousins and a sister in there, she will just fit right in.
It sounds like she won't have any problems being allowed into the OC. Each of my children started going there when they were two years old. They loved it so much more than Flounder's Reef! Enjoy your cruise!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: