Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
platypus6
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 51

4 year old in the nursery?

My son turns 4 the day we sail on the Magic. I was planning to put him in the nursery with my daughter (18 months). She is very stranger-phobic and I know she would not stay without him. I don't have the option to book for him, so is he too old or maybe they would make an exception onboard? Anyone have a similar experience?
platypus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
Happy100
DIS Veteran
 
Happy100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 556

I am not sure if the nursery will take him because you got to remember there are other babies in there and a 4 year just doesn' belong in the nursery. I definitely wouldn't want someone elses 4 yr old in with my baby.

But that being said you can still ask them once you board. However your son would have a much better time in the club or lab. My first cruise was when my son was 4 and he absolutely loved the club and running around and the age appropriate activities. Your daughter will not remember a thing and will be none the wiser if you put here in nursery by herself. Your son will definitely figure out quickly there is a lot more fun to be had the club for him which he should be able to experience.
__________________


Disney Fantasy 1/3/15 "Finally Gold"
Disney Fantasy 3/29/14
Disney Fantasy 12/15/12
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 2/12/12
Disney Magic 7 day Western 10/16/10
Disney Wonder 4 day Bahamas 8/22/09
Happy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
platypus6
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy100 View Post
Your daughter will not remember a thing and will be none the wiser if you put here in nursery by herself.
You clearly haven't met my daughter.

And, I'm sure my son will use the club as well. I was just talking about times when my daughter would be in the nursery.

The ages for the nursery say 3 months - 3 years, so I was hoping they might let the fact that he is one day too old slide.

Anyone have an actual experience where they were able to get an older child in?
platypus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
lanejudy
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,295
DISboards Moderator

You can ask once you get on the ship. It most likely will depend on the demographics and demand for nursery services on your particular cruise. Since nursery space is limited to begin with, if there is a large number of nursery-age children on your cruise, they may not be able to accept him. Also keep in mind that if he's an active 4-year-old, he is not likely to find anything that keeps his attention well with in the nursery; many 3-year-olds prefer the Oceaneer's Club for that reason. You would definitely need to plan to pay for both children since the nursery is not free like the Club.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
SoCaOC-Mom
DIS Veteran
 
SoCaOC-Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Clemente
Posts: 1,416

I don't think you will be very successful with trying to get a 4 year old in the nursery. I remember reading posts before DCL restate their kids club and age restriction policies and someone had a hard time getting their 3 year in the nursery. They were ultimately successful although there were some conditions (such as coming back to either bring the child to the potty or change a pull up) that aren't there for others who use the nursery.

I hope your daughter does so well in the nursery and your 4 year old is able to enjoy the club
__________________



Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
SoCaOC-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
Menada1115
Mouseketeer
 
Menada1115's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 114

I am actually having the opposite problem. My daughter is 2 months from turning 3 and I would like her to be with her older sister/cousins in the club. Not sure they will take her in the club because she isn't quite 3. But, here's to hoping.
My reasons are the same as yours. She does NOT do strangers, even when I am right there with her. I'm not even sure she will stay with her older sister...I know for a fact that she will not stay in the nursery with no familiar face.
__________________

Me DH DD(16) DS(14) DD(9) DD(3)

09/2005- POP
11/2009- POP
11/2010- Hilton Garden Inn @ Sea World
10/2011- POR
1/2012- POR
12/2012- Disney Cruise
11/2013- Disney Cruise
Menada1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:20 PM   #7
platypus6
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menada1115 View Post
I am actually having the opposite problem. My daughter is 2 months from turning 3 and I would like her to be with her older sister/cousins in the club. Not sure they will take her in the club because she isn't quite 3. But, here's to hoping.
My reasons are the same as yours. She does NOT do strangers, even when I am right there with her. I'm not even sure she will stay with her older sister...I know for a fact that she will not stay in the nursery with no familiar face.
I'm glad to get a response from someone who understands. My daughter would be miserable if I tried to leave her alone. My son was much more accepting of strangers but every child is different. If my son can't be with her, I will accept the policy but we won't be using the nursery. I don't want her to be unhappy the whole time.

I have read quite a few posts where people have put younger kids in the club. I think potty training is the main deciding factor.
platypus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:21 PM   #8
tiffyms02
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 43

On the Dream during the 10/21 sailing, they said no. My DD did NOT like the nursery and I asked if her 4 year old brother could stay with her. I was pretty certain of the answer before I asked, but decided to give it a shot anyway since she was having such a tough time being left there. We ended up just canceling our Palo dinner and didn't do any other adult activities because I didn't want her to be upset the entire time. Stinks, but that's part of traveling with a two year old! I figure that's the only cruise that will be like that, because in the future she'll be in the kids clubs with her brother.
tiffyms02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #9
platypus6
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffyms02 View Post
On the Dream during the 10/21 sailing, they said no. My DD did NOT like the nursery and I asked if her 4 year old brother could stay with her. I was pretty certain of the answer before I asked, but decided to give it a shot anyway since she was having such a tough time being left there. We ended up just canceling our Palo dinner and didn't do any other adult activities because I didn't want her to be upset the entire time. Stinks, but that's part of traveling with a two year old! I figure that's the only cruise that will be like that, because in the future she'll be in the kids clubs with her brother.
Thanks! I was hoping for an actual confirmation. Guess I won't bother with Palo reservations this time!
platypus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
HippieChickadee
Mouseketeer
 
HippieChickadee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus6 View Post
You clearly haven't met my daughter.

And, I'm sure my son will use the club as well. I was just talking about times when my daughter would be in the nursery.

The ages for the nursery say 3 months - 3 years, so I was hoping they might let the fact that he is one day too old slide.

Anyone have an actual experience where they were able to get an older child in?
Are they really going to know? Are they going to compare his birth certificate with what you say?

Sorry, probably wasn't very helpful, huh?
__________________


HippieChickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:28 PM   #11
lanejudy
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,295
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menada1115 View Post
I am actually having the opposite problem. My daughter is 2 months from turning 3 and I would like her to be with her older sister/cousins in the club. Not sure they will take her in the club because she isn't quite 3. But, here's to hoping.
My reasons are the same as yours. She does NOT do strangers, even when I am right there with her. I'm not even sure she will stay with her older sister...I know for a fact that she will not stay in the nursery with no familiar face.
You'll want to go to the Club during Open House on the afternoon that you board. They'll want to observe her in that space. Again, it might depend on # of children, but there are many reports of "almost 3-year-olds" being allowed into the Club. Just keep in mind that the CMs will not assist with toileting - they won't even enter the restroom with her but remain just outside the door.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:32 PM   #12
platypus6
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieChickadee View Post
Are they really going to know? Are they going to compare his birth certificate with what you say?

Sorry, probably wasn't very helpful, huh?
I thought about fibbing but it seems their ages are programmed into the computer system.
platypus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:35 PM   #13
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran
 
Kristibo42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ithaca, ny
Posts: 789

When we did the cruise they let our daughter go up a age group. just ask.
__________________
ME47 DH48 DD19

Next trip July 2016 POP and AOA about 70 people
Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Kristibo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:44 PM   #14
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menada1115 View Post
I am actually having the opposite problem. My daughter is 2 months from turning 3 and I would like her to be with her older sister/cousins in the club. Not sure they will take her in the club because she isn't quite 3. But, here's to hoping.
My reasons are the same as yours. She does NOT do strangers, even when I am right there with her. I'm not even sure she will stay with her older sister...I know for a fact that she will not stay in the nursery with no familiar face.
Getting an "almost 3" into the OC will ot be a problem provided there is space available and the child is fully potty trained. That means not only going on her own, but handling clothing and hand washing at kid sized equipment. You will not be able to register a 2 year old for the OC in advance. After boarding, go to the club area and talk to the CM in charge. They will allow the child a trial run; if successful, she will be in for the rest of the cruise.

As to getting a 4 year old into the nursery--I've never heard of it being allowed when the child in question was developmentally normal. The equipment and facility are designed for the "under 3" set, and the 3 year olds are only permitted when they are not trained as the OC doesn't do diapers. You can always ask, but be prepared for a negative response. In many cases, 2 and 3 year olds in the nursery are taken to the OC to play (space and staff permitting). While I have no suggestions as to how to handle your 18 month old, think about whether it is fair to the 4 year old to be "held back" to handle her sibling's issues. It doesn't seem any more fair that she can't go to "her" place because of a sib than that you can't do your thing due to the child's needs. Just my opinion....probably not worth the space it takes to print it.

And yes, they are really going to know. At booking, you provide a date of birth. At check in, you provide a birth certificate or passport which must match that previously stated age. The ship's computer system is tied to that age.

Last edited by kcashner; 10-31-2012 at 12:51 PM.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:48 PM   #15
lanejudy
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,295
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieChickadee View Post
Are they really going to know? Are they going to compare his birth certificate with what you say?

Sorry, probably wasn't very helpful, huh?
You have to provide birth dates for each passenger when you book the cruise. DCL's system then recognizes the child's age on cruise date. That's why OP is not able to book nursery time for her 4-year-old, and why another poster isn't able to register her not-quite-3-yr-old for Oceaneer's Club. Until either gets onboard at the time of cruise, the DCL system will not override the age as calculated from birthdates given at booking.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.