Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
wundermommy76
Mouseketeer

Question Booked Coronado Springs Resort for our 10 yr anniversary visit....now unsure???

My husband and I wanted an adult only vaca to WDW for our 10 yr wedding anniversary in Sept. 2013 and today I booked one! We are going Sept. 8th-12th, 2013 and staying at Cornonado Springs Resort. We were looking for a trip to see the parks thru just adult eyes, maybe not rush as much, and to go do more grown up things....like eat at some of the nicer resturants (got the deluxe meal plan), drink to our hearts content, and spend our nights relaxing by the pool bar, swimming, etc. I am already going thru some major mommy guilt over not taking the kids (funny, the hubby isn't), but I keep reminding myself that we never had a honeymoon and this is as wonderful an occasion as any to take that long awaited honeymoon. For some reason, if we were going anywhere else but Disney, I'd have no guilt but I know how much my kids love Disney. So I'm struggling there. But now I am also struggling with the "Did I pick the right resort?" issue too.

I saw the Coronado Springs thread and read some of the posts, but it's pretty big and overwhelming. Can anyone tell me what they think of CSR and give me some details? All the husband wants to know is if there is a bar by the pool that stays open longer than midnight so we can hang out down there, drink, relax, etc. And I want to know things like what is the nicest building to request, relative closeness to bus stops to the theme parks, how long are the rides to the parks, how are the resturants/food court, etc. Since it has a convention center, does that mean if there is a convention the place is packed? It looks like a pretty big place...are there buses you have to take even WITHIN the resort to get around? Any and all opinions about CSR are welcome......I have tons of time to change the resort if we change our mind. Thank you!!!!!!!!!

2011-FW 2012-POP 2013-POFQ 2014-POP again!
wundermommy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #2
DizDaD7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wundermommy76 View Post
My husband and I wanted an adult only vaca to WDW for our 10 yr wedding anniversary in Sept. 2013 and today I booked one! We are going Sept. 8th-12th, 2013 and staying at Cornonado Springs Resort. We were looking for a trip to see the parks thru just adult eyes, maybe not rush as much, and to go do more grown up things....like eat at some of the nicer resturants (got the deluxe meal plan), drink to our hearts content, and spend our nights relaxing by the pool bar, swimming, etc. I am already going thru some major mommy guilt over not taking the kids (funny, the hubby isn't), but I keep reminding myself that we never had a honeymoon and this is as wonderful an occasion as any to take that long awaited honeymoon. For some reason, if we were going anywhere else but Disney, I'd have no guilt but I know how much my kids love Disney. So I'm struggling there. But now I am also struggling with the "Did I pick the right resort?" issue too.

I saw the Coronado Springs thread and read some of the posts, but it's pretty big and overwhelming. Can anyone tell me what they think of CSR and give me some details? All the husband wants to know is if there is a bar by the pool that stays open longer than midnight so we can hang out down there, drink, relax, etc. And I want to know things like what is the nicest building to request, relative closeness to bus stops to the theme parks, how long are the rides to the parks, how are the resturants/food court, etc. Since it has a convention center, does that mean if there is a convention the place is packed? It looks like a pretty big place...are there buses you have to take even WITHIN the resort to get around? Any and all opinions about CSR are welcome......I have tons of time to change the resort if we change our mind. Thank you!!!!!!!!!
Don't fret...You've made a wise decision..... B-4 I go any further though I have 1 question...

Is $$$ an issue here? If not I would say try the poly (A lot of $$$) or BWI or AKL (LiL more $$$ ) Than the mod...

If money is an issue, than you made a hell of a choice....This is by far the best mod out there. We like to call it a Deluxe lite.

This place is gorgeous ( You'll have some romantic strolls) for sure here...
The main pool is awesome , pool bar, Nice Big Hot tub, Pepper MArket, (Way better than any food court ) Best, I mean BEST Bus service on disney property...
Just an overall great resort....Oh yeah forgot about maya grill, and also the lounge....Just remember1 thing...You will be back again..LoL have a Great time//

1997- Buenavista Hotel/Spa--HoneyMoon--WDW 25thB-day
2000- Allstar Music---Milennium Year!!
2003- Allstar Movies
2006- Off Site/ House
2007- PoP Century
2008- PoP Century
2010- Coronado Springs--->Oct.29-Nov7.
2011- Port Orleans Riverside-->Nov3-Nov11
2012- Boardwalk Villas--->Aug. 21-Sep.1
2013- AKV JH--->Apr5-Apr13..2014- Grand Cal.Villas--->Feb.15-22
2014- AKV--->Nov.1-9
DizDaD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
wundermommy76
Mouseketeer

Yes, money is an issue. I wanted to book one of the values just to save some extra $$, but my husband really wanted this to be a special trip. And even though we had a fine time at the POP with our kids...we wanted something a little less "kiddie"...as bad as that may sound. My friends told me tonight if we wanted less kiddie for our anniversary then why go to Disney where it's all about kids?? Guess I will be getting a lot of those ?'s in the next 11 months till we go. What can I say? We love Disney.

2011-FW 2012-POP 2013-POFQ 2014-POP again!
wundermommy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
discookiemonsta
Mouseketeer

I can not give you any advice about CSR since we have never stayed there, but I did want to chime in regarding your adult only trip to Disney. I am very envious. My husband and I never went to Disney before having kids and even though we have a blast at Disney with the kids, I regret never going on an adult only trip and I cannot wait to plan a trip for just my husband and I like you said, to enjoy all the more relaxing 'adult' things Disney has to offer, go at a slower pace etc. So please don't listen to all those negative people who may question you about going to Disney for your anniversary. Disney is definitely NOT just for kids.

Hope you have a magical anniversary

Me(35) DH(35) DD(10) & DD(7)

discookiemonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney

re: lounge / bar hours.. I THINK most WDW bars at resorts close up at midnight.. Not 100% sure about that, and not sure about the pool bars...

CSR has Rix which is kinda like a bar / nightclub. I think they've changed pepper market, but I liked it before, it was a different set up and confused some people, but we loved the food. Never ate at Maya!! Not sure why, just never did..

LOVE the look of the resort ESPECIALLY after dark it.. is.. beautiful....

I agree, I thought it had awesome bus service, but then again, I personally have never had 'crappy' bus service. I didnt like the buses at SSR when we stayed there, but I cant call it crappy..

re: convention crowds.. That will depend on any conventions and your schedule.. I was always an early riser, so I would be up and at it and gone before the convention even started.. Plus one year there was a salsa, or tango or some cool dance contest going on.. That was neat to watch them practice and stuff, so it's not always a 'bad' thing the conventions are there
Old 10-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Great choice! We have stayed CL deluxe through value and we call CSR deluxe lite as well! It has amazing amenities. I don't think the pool bar stays open that late. There is a bar/nightclub Rix Lounge that's open late night. There's also a 24 hour fitness center, amazing pools, beach volleyball, a jog trail, spa...We got a king bed and our room was bigger than our AKL savannah view. Enjoy!!

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
jacksg@l
Mouseketeer

CSR is a very beautiful resort, and we had the privilege of staying there right after renovations. The grounds are lovely, the pool is huge and the food choices are extensive. The only piece of advice I have is that unless you plan to eat all your meals in the park, try to request a room by the main building. I agree this is the top of the moderates

US/IoA PBH June 2011
CSR June 2010 Star Wars Weekend
US/IoA HRH June 2009
POFQ February 2008
US/IoA HRH June 2005
Disneyland 1998
jacksg@l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #8
motherof4
Mouseketeer

We leave in 13 days! Just my husband and myself! This is our second adult only trip, and can't wait. We will be there for 5 nights, arriving around 8 pm on the 24th and leaving in the afternoon on the 29th! We plan on attending the F&W festival, MNSSHP and HS, not sure yet if we will squeeze AK in there! Planning on a very relaxed touring style! Two CSR resort days unless we plan on AK on one of them! First day is resort day/MNSSHP, second day is HS followed by a signature dinner, third day is a resort day or AK/Downtown disney in the evening and the last day is F&W festival! I'm soooo excited, this is the first time we will be staying at CSR, just looks like a very adult relaxing atmosphere! I will give you the low down when we get back! I do have a question: Has anyone used the spa services there? Do they do couple massages?
motherof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
Ilivetogo
I really DO want to live there!
I circulate my paper clips at work so they all get used or I feel like they'd be sad if they didn't get a "turn".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizDaD7 View Post
Don't fret...You've made a wise decision..... B-4 I go any further though I have 1 question...

Is $$$ an issue here? If not I would say try the poly (A lot of $$$) or BWI or AKL (LiL more $$$ ) Than the mod...

If money is an issue, than you made a hell of a choice....This is by far the best mod out there. We like to call it a Deluxe lite.

This place is gorgeous ( You'll have some romantic strolls) for sure here...
The main pool is awesome , pool bar, Nice Big Hot tub, Pepper MArket, (Way better than any food court ) Best, I mean BEST Bus service on disney property...
Just an overall great resort..
..Oh yeah forgot about maya grill, and also the lounge....Just remember1 thing...You will be back again..LoL have a Great time//
Gotta say .... DITTO!! I think you'd love it there. It's a very "romantic" resort, I think. Especially at night. I'd say stick with it!

Old 10-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #10
taymaesmom
DIS Veteran

CSR is a beautiful, romantic resort. We have stayed 3 times and my dh who is not a disney lover absolutely loves CSR and will go back to Disney just to stay there. Ask for a room in the Cabanas section. Its near the Dig Site with the pool, hot tub and right on the beach. Very pretty section with great views of the lake, plus the hammocks are right out front, dh and I love to grab and blanket and snuggle on a hammock in the evening.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #11
HANDYMOM
DIS Veteran

beautiful but

CSR is indeed beautiful and Pepper Market is great if you're on the meal plan but... I recently stayed at CSR with my kids and another family and it wasn't the best experience. It didn't ruin our vacation, but it didn't make it either. Part of the reason is how much they cater to convention guests. They are particularly uninterested in where you would like your room to be either.

We were put in Casitas when we requested any room, any floor with any view EXCEPT Casitas => at checkin we were told they could not do anything about our room assignment.

We were passed repeatedly (almost hit a couple of times) by the golf carts used to shuttle conventioneers to and from their rooms.

The last night we were kept up until 3AM by drunk convention guest congregated on the common walkways around our room. Security didn't show up until 1 1/2 hours after week called for assistance and they were highly ineffective. Told everyone to quiet down and left...which did nothing. They didn't return until 2:45. After 4 calls about this and no sleep we were told no late checkout because too many rooms in our building had requested it.....YEAH, like the party animals who kept us up all night!!!

It is very pretty, but with little customer service to the family traveler.

I will return to POR Riverside or French Quarter for my next moderate stay. Absolutely beautiful, romantic with the highest standards of how to treat a guest.
Sept 2012 - 2 families at CSR January 2010 - Polynesian January 2008 - Grand Gathering at Pop! January 2006 - 2 families at All Star Sports May 2004 POR - 1st trip with DS's 5&3 Sept 1998 - Belated Disneymoon at CBR April 1995 - CR

[/url
HANDYMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #12
tinka-belle
DIS Veteran

CSR is our resort of choice now, used to be strictly deluxe people. Been there 10 visits and counting, usually do a 2 week stay in early Sept. every year.

You will love it! We will be there the same time as you! Some conferences but not a heck of a lot there at that time of year. We've found that you can get loud rowdy people at any resort, not just the convention ones. It's a bit more adult, still Disney but not so much "in your face". Very romantic to stroll the grounds, etc. Beds are very comfortable, amenities are more deluxe than moderate.

The Siesta pool bar tends to close at 6pm (just the food side, the bar side can be open depending on the crowds and weather but I don't remember a set time. We did an 8pm movie night last year and I could swear the bar was open,) the Laguna bar on the lake outside the main buidling is open late most nights, but if there is a conference sometimes the attendees congregate there. Rix bar/lounge in the main building is nice and is open late, sometimes is restricted for a private event but not much of that in September.

For September visits we have not been bothered by convention or event people though there are always some. Yes, you sometimes have to dodge the golf carts, but for the most part those people are in meetings all day. Sept. tends not to be a heavily booked month.

Bus service is great, they do not share with another resort. Now and then we've had a long wait, usually when we've just missed a park bus, but in general very reliable and fast. There are 4 bus stops so your room is never too far from one, the CRS thread can give you more information on those. You can use the busses to get around the resort, but we've never done it and seldom see others use that feature, quicker to walk than wait on a bus. MK is the furthest away, about 15 minutes including the internal bus stops. HS and AK are pretty close.

We like the Casitas area, but have been in all of them. Ranchos is a bit far from the food courts/main building but is closer to the main pool area. Entire walk around the lake is approx. 1 mile but there's a bridge that bisects it.

Some people love Pepper Market, others hate it. It is pricey without a meal plan but the food choice is much more extensive than the average CS. Maya Grill has gotten better too. We avoided it when the food was just meh, the new menu is much better and it's well prepared. Panchitos store also has more upscale offerings more like a deluxe resort due to the convention center too. Cafe Rix is a pretty well stocked, though small, grab-n-go and also one of the spots to fill you resort mug (other is at the pool bar) if you have one.

We have never found that they cater to conventioneers more than vacation guests, all of our stays have been great, any minor issues (that you could get at any resort) were quickly resolved.

Keep your eyes open for any Free Dining deals that might come out in the spring for September stays, in past years they have covered your dates. No guarantee on what any discounts will be but FD has been offered in September for several years. Maybe we can meet for a drink!

Last edited by tinka-belle; 10-11-2012 at 05:57 PM.
tinka-belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #13
tinka-belle
DIS Veteran

I do have a question: Has anyone used the spa services there? Do they do couple massages?[/QUOTE]

The spa is in the fitness center, I wouldn't call it full service or large. Haven't used it myself, but there will be a flyer in your room and you can call or drop in. It's on the ground floor in Casitas building #4.
tinka-belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #14
bama belle
Mouseketeer

We stayed as a family at CSR in May 2011 and loved it! I had requested Cabanas section when I booked the reservation, but when we got there they had us in Casitas. We were told they could get us in Cabanas 8b later that afternoon and we ended up with a water view room (booked standard)! The location was great- close to the main pool, short walk to the main building, and a bus stop right outside the building.

The grounds are beautiful and so peaceful and relaxing, especially early in the morning and at night. Bus service was overall very good. We never noticed the conventioneers- I think you may see them more on the Casitas side. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

bama belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #15
KatMark
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at CSR nine times, including for both of our 50th birthdays, our 25th wedding anniversary and soon for a surprise trip for my husband's 60th birthday. We live everything about it and have had near perfect stays every time. As for convention guests, they have never bothered us. Yes, I'm sure some get drunk, but that can happen at any resort (our worse experience of this was at POR-riverside at the Yer Haw Bob show.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: