Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
ThePicketts
Mouseketeer

how early is too early for departing flights?

Hi all. I have no doubt this is one of those questions that have been asked a million times, but I can't find an answer So I'm trusting you, the real experts. I'm trying to plan when my departure flights should leave from Barcelona. Is a 11 am flight going to be difficult to catch?
ThePicketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
abdgeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePicketts View Post
Hi all. I have no doubt this is one of those questions that have been asked a million times, but I can't find an answer So I'm trusting you, the real experts. I'm trying to plan when my departure flights should leave from Barcelona. Is a 11 am flight going to be difficult to catch?
To save on your anxiety level, you may want to try to book your flight for after when DCL suggests. That being said, when I did the Med Cruise in 2011several people at my table had early flights(around 10:30am) from Barcelona. They were told to let guest services know before the last night of the cruise and were given instructions as to what to do. You don't put your luggage out the last night but hand carry it off the ship. You are the first people off the ship once it clears customs and you won't be the only one trying to make an early flight. You will need close to 3 hours to check-in and go through customs and security. If you have bought anything that qualifies for a VAT refund, you will get your refund at the airport. You have to do that before you go through security and the lines you have to stand in can take time. Don't listen to anyone who tells you you can mail it in. Good luck.
abdgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
ThePicketts
Mouseketeer

Excellent information!
Old 04-21-2013, 09:02 AM   #4
hrhdhd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdgeek View Post
If you have bought anything that qualifies for a VAT refund, you will get your refund at the airport. You have to do that before you go through security and the lines you have to stand in can take time. Don't listen to anyone who tells you you can mail it in. Good luck.
To clarify, Barcelona would have to be your exit point from the EU for you to get your VAT refund there. If you're flying from Barcelona to, say, Amsterdam, to the US, then you get your forms stamped and your refund in Amsterdam. Be sure to keep the merchandise in your carry-on.

Cruise Booked:
Princess Ruby 11/14 Western Caribbean

Cruises Taken:
HAL Zuiderdam 08/05 Western Caribbean, HAL Westerdam 12/05 Eastern Caribbean, HAL Westerdam 12/06 Western Caribbean, Princess Dawn 05/07 Alaska, HAL Westerdam 12/07 Eastern Caribbean, Princess Island 12/08 Panama Canal, HAL Ryndam 11/09 Western Caribbean, HAL Westerdam 01/10 Southern Caribbean, HAL Westerdam 12/10 Southern Caribbean, Disney Magic 05/11 Transatlantic, Princess Emerald 12/11 Southern Caribbean, Azamara Quest 10/12 Sicily / Malta, Princess Emerald 11/12 Eastern Caribbean, HAL Eurodam 03/13 Eastern Caribbean, Azamara Quest 08/13 Northern Europe, HAL Eurodam 11/13 Western Caribbean
hrhdhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

I was one that had the 10:30 flight in 2010....I walked off the ship with my luggage at about 7:30AM and caught a taxi that was waiting at the pier. I ended up having about a 2 hour wait at the airport....Easy breezy! I've heard that the lines for taxis get bad especially with a larger party but as a solo (actually shared a taxi with someone I met onboard) we had no issues that early in the morning.

BTW, there are little to no services after you go through security. If you have time to kill, I would do it before you go through security...Once you are through, you are through. Many folks were looking for the box to drop their VAT forms and it was too late at that point.

HTH

Jill in CO
Old 04-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
ThePicketts
Mouseketeer

Great information. Thanks!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: