Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 09:13 AM   #31
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

I am not reconsidering our upcoming 4 DCL cruises at all even after reading all the reports and after just experiencing hurricane Sandy ourselves for the last 3 days (just got power back this morning). And I will still sail during hurricane season.

It was a freak storm and I doubt any of us will have to worry about a storm that large with all its special circumstances again in our lifetime.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:18 AM   #32
FOV
Mouseketeer

We are booked on our 1st DCL cruise, leaving June 2013. DH and have sailed before on RCI. Our kids have never cruised.

I'm not going to cancel but I'm not feeling good about our cruise. I am shocked DCL sent the 3-night Dream out in a hurricane.

When you book a cruise vacation - any time of year - you can run into problems. CC could be too cold to swim. You could get lots of wind or rain and unseasonably cold weather. Thunder storms. The Aquaduck could be down for the entire cruise. You could miss 1, 2 or all scheduled ports. One or more in your party could get sick. For all these things I would be disappointed but I would suck it up to "things happen." Most of us have had bad weather on a vacation. It happens.

To set sail in the midst of one of the worst hurricanes to hit the US is senseless, IMO. My heart goes out to the pax on that ship. I feel even worse for the crew. In addition to all their normal duties, they were cleaning vomit all over the ship while terrified pax were confined to their cabins. THEN they had to turn around and go right back to sea? What was the point of sailing the 3-night Dream? Did the pax have any enjoyment on that cruise?

It would be very hard to convince me sailing the Dream was anything other than bad judgement. Am I missing some important facts? It just seems like a no brainer to me. Why did they sail?
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2012, 09:22 AM   #33
owensjro
DIS Veteran

saying you won't cruise because of the risk of a hurricane is like saying you won't fly because there might be bad air turbulence or a thunderstorm. Or not drive anywhere because there could be a rain storm.

Might as well just stay in the house and never go anywhere.

We put our lives in other people's hands every day whether we drive, take a bus, go in an airplane, or even just take a walk outside...and all of these are much riskier than going on a cruise.

Jim
Disney Magic 7N Eastern - 1/17/09
Disney Magic 7N Eastern - 12/19/09
Disney Wonder B2B 5N KeyWest/5N DoubleDip - 6/8/10, 6/13/10
Disney Magic 14N TransAtlantic - 5/14/11
Disney Fantasy B2B 7N Eastern/Western - 6/29/13, 7/6/13
Disney Magic 12N Northern Europe - 7/22/15
owensjro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:25 AM   #34
FOV
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by owensjro View Post
saying you won't cruise because of the risk of a hurricane is like saying you won't fly because there might be bad air turbulence or a thunderstorm. Or not drive anywhere because there could be a rain storm.

Might as well just stay in the house and never go anywhere.

We put our lives in other people's hands every day whether we drive, take a bus, go in an airplane, or even just take a walk outside...and all of these are much riskier than going on a cruise.

Jim
Fly in bad turbulence or in a thunderstorm? Yup, done that many times. Fly in a hurricane or a blizzard, no. Drive in a rain storm? Of course! Did I drive during the hurricane? No.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:26 AM   #35
mdsoccermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyDisneyDaddy View Post
I don't want to turn this into an argument, but the issue many have is that it was indeed avoidable. The Fantasy was in in St Thomas, south and east of the storm. It sailed towards the storm and on Friday night, actually caught up with the storm. Yes, perhaps the storm stalled and this wasn't predictible. Yes, perhaps the storm was larger than anticipated. But the issues remains, and the reason many, like myself, have found their faith in Disney shaken, is that it was AVOIDABLE. The storm did not come to Fantasy, Fantasy came to the storm.

Prior to this incident, I would have told friends and family, proudly and with confidence, that they should not worry about cruising during hurricane season (or any season), because the ships will avoid the storms. Here the exact opposite happened, the ship literally sailed into the storm.
Plus, all other major cruise lines avoided it by keeping their ships out at sea or docking at another port.
mdsoccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:29 AM   #36
DMMarla07860
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't re-consider anything. I went through this storm in NJ, not the same, but this was a crazy storm that is one of a kind so I was even a little afraid this time
July 14th-18th, 2002- 3 Night Resort and 4 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, April 23rd-30th, 2005- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, August 19th-26th, 2006- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Double Dip Cruise, September 6th-9th, 2007- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, July 13th- 20th, 2008- Mexican Riviera Disney Magic Cruise, February 21st-28th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 28th-March 7th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Eastern Cruise, August 27th-30th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, December 10th-13th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, March 6th-13th, 2010- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 17th-20th, 2011- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, February 20th-24th, 2011- 4 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 27th-May 3rd, 2011- 6 Night LA to Vancouver Disney Wonder Cruise
February 16th-19th, 2012- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 21st-28th, 2012- 7 Night Disney Fantasy Eastern Cruise(first one),
June 15th-17th, 2012- 2 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC), August 17th- 25th, 2012- 8 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC)March 16th-23rd, 2013-7 Night Disney Fantasy Western March 23rd-30th, 2013-Disney Fantasy EasternUpcoming Cruises: November 20th-24th, 2013- Disney Magic
DMMarla07860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:29 AM   #37
Sparrow78
Mouseketeer

We are scheduled for our first cruise in January. After reading all the reports I am a little nervous for rough weather but I do believe that for whatever reason the ship sailed into the hurricane it wasn't done just to cause passangers pain.

I'm not cancelling our cruise. I will be careful to secure loose items if we hit rough seas but I really doubt it was done on purpose to scare the crap out of everyone.

Sailing on the Magic again! Nov 29, 2015!

------
8 night Magic Cruise - Jan 18, 2013

Paradise Pier Hotel May 20-26, 2012
WDW August 7-14 2010
2nd DL trip! May 18-25, 2004
1st DL visit... 1 day rushed trip May 2001
Sparrow78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:38 AM   #38
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox97 View Post
My DH & I have Atmospheric Science degrees (scientific meteorology, not journalism) from The Ohio State University (this explains all of the hurricane updates on his dclblog). Yesterday, he used GOES satellite imagery and put together a video, more for the Frankenstorm aspect to see all 3 systems converge. It is totally clear in the video how Sandy grows & stalls on Friday. I do not think anyone predicted it.

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2012...rricane-sandy/

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
I have to disagree. Carnival halted several ships that day and HAL docked in JAX to avoid it. I think others did as well but I haven't dug around enough for the info. Yes, all cruise lines ended up sailing in part of it at some point but THAT DAY (when the Fantasy came back), the other lines chose to inconvenience thousands of passengers rather than sail into that horrific storm. That tells me that the other lines were more concerned about the safety and comfort of their passengers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyDisneyDaddy View Post
OK, the storm stalled -- why did Fantasy keep heading towards it? Surely they were aware it stalled? This video has date stamps, so it is more useful:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...pse_video.html

On the morning of the 26th, Fantasy was down at the tip of Florida. By midnight (UTC 4AM), Fantasy was still steaming north, about halfway between Miami and Port Canaveral. It is at this point the ship went literally, right into the storm.

I'm really not looking for an argument, but this concerns me. I would have never, NEVER thought Disney would sail its ship into a hurricane like this for any reason. I thought they had sophisticated enough radar to see that the storm stalled and stop heading towards it.
People are going to believe what they're going to believe and on this board, they want to believe that Disney can do nothing wrong. The evidence is more than clear that the other cruise lines took measures to avoid the storm that day....DCL did not.

Now, to answer the OP's question: I canceled my booked Fantasy cruise for next April. Has nothing to do with hurricane season as it wasn't in it. I've sailed in that season often and got stuck in a pretty bad storm once. It has to do with DCL sailing into this storm that day when others chose not to.
One of three things is true:

1-DCL is not capable of getting the same weather reports as other cruise lines which is bad and I don't want to cruise with them

2-DCL got the exact same information as everyone else and interpreted it wrong which is bad and I don't want to cruise with them

3-DCL got the exact same information as everyone else, interpreted it correctly and chose to sail into it anyway which is bad and I don't want to cruise with them

Seriously, those are the only three options available (the other cruise lines avoiding this storm that day is well documented). How each of us chooses to interpret them is the only difference.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:40 AM   #39
westjones
Mother of Two Disney Princesses
Boy I learn something new all the time on these boards!

We were on the Magic when Hurricane Jeanne hit in 2004. It was scary, and after that we stopped sailing in the fall. We started going in March and the weather has been nice then. It does cost more, but I am someone who gets seasick very easily (DH doesn't so he was OK), but I spent too much time in my room not being able to eat and feeling awful so even though the prices look good in the fall, we decided to pay the extra and sail when the weather is usually better.
westjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #40
GoofyDisneyDaddy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
I have no experience captaining a cruise ship, or a dinghy for that matter, but maybe it was too late by the time they realized it had stalled to turn around? Or turning around might have kept you in the storm just as long? I just don't have enough info to say it was the wrong decision.
I'm sorry, I'm really not trying to be argumentative -- but no. Look at this video:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...pse_video.html

The storm was stalled essentially all day friday. Fantasy continued heading north. Absolutely, once Fantasy caught up to the storm the only thing left to do was keep the bow pointed at the waves and hold on. To turn the ship around would have brought the waves against the broadside of the ship which was far more dangerous, and the retreat would have brought the waves on the aft of the ship, which isn't designed to take on the wave.

Once the ship caught the storm, the captain did an excellent job keeping the ship safe. The part I will never understand is why Disney kept heading north at noon, at 2 pm, at 4 pm, at 6 pm (when things were rocky, but nothing like the nightmere tha occured when the ship caught the storm around midnight).

Yes, we were 150 miles from the eye (so the captain said), but this storm was massive, and clearly shows this on radar. Again, I'm really not trying to argue with anyone. But these are the facts -- the Fantasy sailed into the storm -- and many of us are trying to figure out why -- it just doesn't comport with everything we thought a cruise line, especially Disney, would do.

Did Disney not know it stalled? That doesn't instill confidence. Did Disney underestimate the power of the storm? That doesn't instill confidence, especially when everyother cruise line decided it wasn't worth the risk. And that really is what it all comes down to -- on the sliding scale of risk in approaching the storm vs delays and disruptions, I would have thought of all the cruise lines, Disney would err the most on the side of not approaching the storm. But they were the ONLY ONE who did. It just seems so un-Disney.

Until this event, I was as big a Disney cheerleader as anyone. Now, my confidence is shaken.

Last edited by GoofyDisneyDaddy; 10-31-2012 at 09:58 AM.
GoofyDisneyDaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #41
mdsoccermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetexas View Post
I have to disagree. Carnival halted several ships that day and HAL docked in JAX to avoid it. I think others did as well but I haven't dug around enough for the info. Yes, all cruise lines ended up sailing in part of it at some point but THAT DAY (when the Fantasy came back), the other lines chose to inconvenience thousands of passengers rather than sail into that horrific storm. .
Princess and HAL docked at alternate ports. Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian kept ships out at sea and cancelled some sailings.
mdsoccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:57 AM   #42
SuzanneSLO
DIS Veteran

My parents were on the Fantasy. Even after the fact, they were fine with DCLs decision to head through the storm rather than spend another day at sea in rough conditions. Obviously, many passengers were not fine with that decision, but there are 2 sides to the story.

My parents are fine with cruising DCL again. They tried to rebook onboard but ran out of time when the seas got rough. They are hesitant about sailing out of PC, however, but they acknowledge this concern is somewhat phobic because they are concerned about it any time of the year, not just during hurricane season. They have sailed DCL in the Baltic and Coastal CA, with no issues. But both times they sailed from PC, there was an issue. -- Suzanne

Last edited by SuzanneSLO; 10-31-2012 at 10:03 AM.
SuzanneSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:00 AM   #43
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsoccermom View Post
Princess and HAL docked at alternate ports. Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian kept ships out at sea and cancelled some sailings.
Why are SO many people on this board refusing to acknowledge that basic FACT? I get that they love DCL and will continue to cruise with them, regardless. That's fine. But for everyone to keep saying that the captain didn't know, the storm stalled, Disney is the safest, etc. etc. is just ludicrous.

This is why there is such a rift on this board right now. The people on those DCL ships are rightly upset. During the worst of that storm, DCL sailed them right into it. Sure, it's hurricane season but the other cruise lines re-routed, canceled, etc. to keep their passengers safe and as comfortable as possible. Which is what they ALL promise to do in the event of a storm.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:01 AM   #44
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

I have been following the threads and feel extremely bad for those on both the Fantasy and the Dream. It sounds like a very scary situation.
I don't know why the decisions were made to sail through the storms but I believe there is a lot that went into the decision that I don't know about. I can understand the Fantasy more since I believe they thought they were following it and when it stalled, it was safer to go forward than try to turn around. But I am having a harder time wrapping my mind around why they sent the Dream back into it (after what had just happened to the Fantasy).

As for why the other ships didn't sail through it, I don't know where they were located in relation to the storm and the Fantasy so there are a number of factors that could explain why one captain made one decision and the other a different one.

I think DCL is taking all the feedback seriously because the one thing I am very sure of is that they did not want to put lives (or their ships) at risk. It is much cheaper to reschedule people by staying at sea than it is to take on multiple lawsuits for negligence and death of their passengers. It is also cheaper to reschedule people than it is to risk damage to the ship and revenue from lost cruises should the Fantasy be taken out of commission.
So I don't believe this was simply a decision about money. But that is just my opinion based on the limited knowledge that I have.

To answer the OPs question...no, we have no plans to change our Fantasy cruise for next year. It wasn't even considered.
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:04 AM   #45
capshockeygrl
Mouseketeer

We aren't even thinking twice about cruising in January on the Fantasy.

As others have said, I really feel for the people who went through this and are scared right now, but it doesn't have an affect on my desire to cruise with DCL. Somebody made a bad decision out there, I get that. But at the same time, I don't feel like I can base any decision not to cruise with DCL in the future on one bad decision. Obviously if they had a reputation of making these decisions, my answer would be different.

capshockeygrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: