Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
kuhltiffany
DIS Veteran

Access to antibiotics on the ship?

My DS has had a fever and swollen tonsils since Friday. I took him to the doctor on Monday and she seemed to think it was viral and didn't give him anything. We sail on the Fantasy this Saturday and then have 2 sea days before we go to another port. If he worsens on the ship, is there a doctor and or antibiotics available on the ship?

I've been BOO'ED by SallySkelington!!!
kuhltiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Each ship carries a physician, several nurses, and a reasonably stocked pharmacy. However, a visit will be about $200 including medications! It is covered by most travel insurance policies and you will be provided with the forms to submit to your health insurance or travel insurance.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2012, 11:40 PM   #3
Tinkerbell2B
Mouseketeer

Did you tell the doctor you were sailing in a few days? If he isn't any better tomorrow or Thursday, I would call back and tell the nurse or doctor he isn't improving. Maybe they would give him an antibiotic then.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:53 PM   #4
tastefullyjenn
Mouseketeer

hey tiffany!!

I went to the local minute clinic at the pharmacy and told them I was sailing soon an didn't want to be patient "zero" with my sinus infection.

I would urge you to seek a second opinion--dealing with our own discomfort is one thing but a kiddo who can't enjoy themselves? Boo!
tastefullyjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:26 AM   #5
boogabuzz
DIS Veteran

Those symptoms are probably just his body fighting off some bug. Could be viral or bacterial. Maybe just ask your doc for an antibiotic just to take with you in the event he needs it. I always bring a full drug box with me on our trips. You never know!
boogabuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:46 AM   #6
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

If your kid is sick enough for you to really worry about a secondary infection...or if he still has a fever when you're boarding...maybe he shouldn't be traveling in case he gives it to others?
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:23 AM   #7
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Did they do a strep test?

Just an FYI, something nasty is going on here that is either lasting 2 days or long time.

I would go back if he is not feeling better.

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:29 AM   #8
gr8vthsfam
Mouseketeer

So sorry to hear your DS is sick, and I hope for a quick recovery. I know this might be the last thing you want to hear, but thought I had read that they will not let anyone board who is actively ill. I am sure others with experience with that will chime in! It has been one of my worries - that the day will arrive and someone will have a fever and we will not be able to go! Good luck.

WDL '78
WDW '94
WDW '98 CBR
WDW '01 GF
WDW '06 GF
WDW '12 GF
DCL '12 Dream
WDW '12 YC
gr8vthsfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:05 AM   #9
Ptwolfman
Mouseketeer from CA

The medical form asks if anyone in your party has had a fever along with sneezing, coughing, body aches within the last 72 hours. Sneezing, coughing and aches by themselves are ok but if they are combined with a fever, that is NOT ok as they can be contagious. The form also asks about vomiting or diarrhea in the past 72 hours. HTH
Ptwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:21 AM   #10
mdvlprof
DIS Veteran

Antibiotics do NOTHING if it is viral. Talk to pharmacy about Over The Counter meds which might help.
If DS is still sick at cruise-time, seriously consider not going on cruise, out of respect for others. [Most travel insurance covers illness.]
What is an FE?

MK [and EPCOT under construction] 3/82, WDW 7/99, WDW/DCL 7/02, Indy DIS 9/10, PCC DCL/WDW 12/10Indy DIS 9/11 PCC DCL/WDW 12/12DAP 12/13
Cruised: DCL, CCL, X, RCCL, NCL
mdvlprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:42 AM   #11
sambycat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptwolfman View Post
The medical form asks if anyone in your party has had a fever along with sneezing, coughing, body aches within the last 72 hours. Sneezing, coughing and aches by themselves are ok but if they are combined with a fever, that is NOT ok as they can be contagious. The form also asks about vomiting or diarrhea in the past 72 hours. HTH
I thought a fever would preclude one from boarding? Also, bless his heart, I wouldn't go on a cruise vacation with someone suffering from something that could go either way, healing wise? Maybe take my chances and spend vacation in a resort room on property, yes, get on a cruise ship? No. If I felt we'll but for lingering temp, I would be pushing for antibiotics (even though that probably isn't a cure but this is the way the world works. People want to see and - often wrongly think- antibiotics help everything!). But I would have done this immediately (probably with steroids) upon explaining the situation to my practioner. FWIW, I encounter something like this maybe once every 5 years, not every other month or even yearly. Your health should be the bigger focus.
Many kids with funky tonsils are truly either sick or just barely recovering from tonsillitis all the time, that's one group and i hope your doc would help you out rx and OTC WISE, but weirdly if it isn't a super common thing (and your just waiting to get them out!) I would be very Leary of masking symptoms and traveling, or fibbing on the health screen.
Good luck! I hope he gets better soon

Last edited by sambycat; 10-31-2012 at 09:00 AM.
sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:43 AM   #12
eyesing4u
DVC Member

OP, I'm sure you are wise enough not to take advice from posters who are not medical professionals. Call your doctor and explain the situation. They will tell you if it is safe for your child and safe for other passengers for you to be on this cruise. If they do not, then consult another physician.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:13 AM   #13
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesing4u View Post
OP, I'm sure you are wise enough not to take advice from posters who are not medical professionals. Call your doctor and explain the situation. They will tell you if it is safe for your child and safe for other passengers for you to be on this cruise. If they do not, then consult another physician.
...but the posters are correct about filling and answering the questions honestly......if your kid is sick than I do agree you shouldn't put all the other passengers at risk. Also if you do show up at the infirmary than they have the right to confine you to your cabin for the cruise if necessary.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:38 AM   #14
Time4Family
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta

...but the posters are correct about filling and answering the questions honestly......if your kid is sick than I do agree you shouldn't put all the other passengers at risk. Also if you do show up at the infirmary than they have the right to confine you to your cabin for the cruise if necessary.
I agree. I'm on that cruise with my children and I would hate for them to get sick because someone did not answer honestly.
Time4Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:57 AM   #15
sambycat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesing4u View Post
If this is something that goes on regularly, yes, probably safe. BUT whether it is safe in the eyes of whomever checks the health checklist thingy, I'd cover all my bases! Just my 0.02 (as a medical provider to kids with cruddy tonsils!)

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: