Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 11:54 PM   #46
2disneycruzrs
DIS Veteran

We always get TI, but usually do not insure our trip at the full cost except maybe the cruise fare but not always, to save on the cost. We do it primarily for the medical evac coverage. I do the same for my clients on land-based international trips, too, and for my MIL in on mountain trips in the States. Now with the hurricane, there are folks talking on the threads about cancel for any reason coverage. Usually you need to purchase one of the more comprehensive policies and pay a small premium for this coverage, and it has to be done within 14 days of initial deposit.

As for passports, it is so CRAZY in my opinion that people would consider any form of international travel w/o a passport and/or passport card. Many Caribbean countries do not have a US Embassy on island to help. If you can afford to take the trip, you can afford the extra for the TI and passport. Just my opinion.

Wonder 10/14 * Reimagined Magic 12/13 * Swan/Dream/Animation: 12/12 * Beach Club: 1/12 - work * AKL/Dream: 9/11 - my daughter's and nieces' first cruise! * Beach Club/Wonder: 11/08 - work * Beach Club/Wonder: 8/08 - work (I get paid to go?!) * Dolphin/Wonder: 12/05 * RCCL - Jewel inaugural season (Western) 4/05-work * RCCL - Serenade inaugural season (Alaska) 8/04 - work * Swan/Magic: 11/03 Eastern * Dolphin/Wonder 10/02 - our honeymoon * WDW '83
2disneycruzrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:26 AM   #47
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran

Our personal friends cruised to Alaska. He had a heart attack while on the ship and ended up in an Alaskan hospital for open heart surgery and a three-week extended vacation. They had travel insurance. Since they were in a US hospital they didn't have a lot of the international medical care/payment hassles, but their travel insurance paid for his wife's extended stay by his side in Alaska, as well as paid for her son to fly to Alaska to accompany them home to Tennessee.

Can you self-insure through something like that?

Get the trip insurance.

GetGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2013, 02:46 AM   #48
LiseG
DIS Veteran

Travel Guard's Gold Plan... Kids are FREE

We've done a number of Disney Cruises and were VERY happy we chose to carry trip insurance... we used it our very first Disney Cruise when we were "honkered down" at WDW while Hurricane Francis passed over.

If you're traveling on Disney Vacation Club points, I believe you'll need to get the trip insurance through Disney. They now have some way to calculate a cash reimbursement for the lost points.

If you're paying for the cruise you have options. In 2004, we booked through a travel agent and she took care of ordering the insurance (I have to look up who the insurance company was). It covered the cruise, flight... everything that was pre-paid and not cancelable or might be incurred due to a delayed canceled/trip. Our coverage activated due to Hurricane Frances delaying our cruise and paid for extra nights at WDW All Star Movie and our meals. They were awesome no documentation needed with a hurricane. They had the money we laid out for the hotel/meals in our account before the end of the cruise (so 5-6 days). Disney was also awesome... they gave us 1/2 our money back for the shortened cruise and 25% off our next cruise.

I'm not sure if you book the cruise on the DCL and book your flights separately if that could be added to the policy. You might also consider what other things you may pre-pay or have cancellation deadlines/fees. A couple years ago, we had medical emergency and had to cancel a Disneyland trip... the insurance covered the flight and the pre-paid tickets for Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party. The hotels would have been covered, but no need as we cancelled the hotels before the deadlines.

Some plans are different in what they cover and what it takes for the insurance to go into effect. The last non-cruise trip we took we got TRAVEL GUARD'S GOLD PLAN from Teel's Travel Planners... kids are covered FREE. I started to do it online, then I ended up calling on a Saturday. Brad Teel answered the phone himself and walked me through the whole thing.... such a nice man (family run travel agency). He let me know that since every one was healthy, we could add the insurance even though we'd planned the trip a while earlier... and it didn't matter that I'd booked the trip direct.

Some plans you can opt for coverage even if you choose to cancel the trip (you don't have to be sick, lose your job, find a hurricane, etc.). It's refered to as "change for any reason" or "change your mind" insurance. It costs something like an extra 50%.

I just ran the numbers for the 3 of us for 7-Day Fantasy outside cabin. Through Disney it would be $250. TravelGuard Gold thru Teel's was $155 ...with "change your mind" added it was still only $228.

I'll be interested to hear what plans others have bought / used.

Lise

Magic 4-Day Cozumel only - Sept 2004 (Booked as 7-Day Eastern - Thanks Hurricane Francis) . . . . . . . Magic 7-Day Western - Sept 2009 (Ms. Mary's Wedding)
Magic 7-Day Semi-Western - Sept 2005 (Booked Eastern again - went West due to Hurricane Rita) . . .Wonder 7-Day Pacific Coast PIXAR- Sept 2012
Magic 7-Day Eastern - Halloween 2006 (Finally made it to Eastern!) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Fantasy 7-Day Western - Sept 2014 (20th Anniversary)
LiseG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #49
byejou
Mouseketeer

OK, we have cruised 4 times on DCL, first one we purchased insurance through USAA, our own carrier. Kids were very little and it felt like a safe option being our trip & it was Feb out of Philly. With that, every cruise/trip following was not insured and while there was an injury on the Mickey stairs on board, DCL did not charge us. Lucky us!!! Now, we are in NJ and can't forget Hurricane Sandy and we now booked the Dream for 4 nights the beginning of Nov. this year. We are driving down and using our DVC pts before and after. I will purchase park passes and DDP just before we leave as a just in case. So, my question is how do I just insure the cruise portion of the trip or should I just put in the estimated cost of all expenses and purchase a 7 day coverage plan. Health insurance will cover stateside issues, auto will cover auto issues. Pts for room can be banked. Its the darn ocean that makes me nervous.............

DL 88 CBR 96 CSR 98 BWV 05 Wonder 07 WDW/SW 07 Wonder 08 CR/Wonder 09
BCV/Dream 11 FW/AKV 12 : FW 12 Dream/OKW/VB 13 SSR 14 OKW/WLV 14 FW 15 Fantasy 15
byejou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #50
bluenosemickey
Canadian in search of sun

We had similar plans last year. I just plugged in the amount of the cruise as the amount I wanted covered. You don't have to insure your whole trip cost. We thought the same things about our points, passes etc. Didn't feel the need to have those things covered. I even eliminated our SWA flights since we could get a credit for those if we cancelled the trip beforehand. It was just that darn cruise I worried about missing due to some freak accident or illness. And you should make sure you are adequately covered for medical evacuation with your health coverage. Even though we had that coverage already, it was nice to have a little extra with the added insurance.

Everything else was likely able to be banked, credited or rebooked at a relatively low cost. There's no wiggle room with cruises.

We had travelguard gold insurance.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #51
byejou
Mouseketeer

Thanks I was looking at TravelGuard Gold. With extra evacuation for cruise only 2 adults/2children is $130. A lot better than what could be........

DL 88 CBR 96 CSR 98 BWV 05 Wonder 07 WDW/SW 07 Wonder 08 CR/Wonder 09
BCV/Dream 11 FW/AKV 12 : FW 12 Dream/OKW/VB 13 SSR 14 OKW/WLV 14 FW 15 Fantasy 15
byejou is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: