Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 06:33 PM   #31
mdvlprof
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
IMO, passport book is easiest. One thing to show and you know they will take it. Plus I have it if I ever want to go on a different trip out of the country.

As for insurance, plenty of people will tell you it is a waste of money. I want it for the emergency evacuation part, not so much the trip cancellation. I can eat the cruise fare but I cant afford to get a medical airplane or helicopter to get me home so we buy the insurance. I'm guessing you are in Washington since DCL cant sell it to you. Hopefully someone with experience there can help you with choosing a provider.

Well put.

Cost of cruise - no biggie, it can be absorbed. Cost of medical evac - BIGGIE.
What is an FE?

MK [and EPCOT under construction] 3/82, WDW 7/99, WDW/DCL 7/02, Indy DIS 9/10, PCC DCL/WDW 12/10Indy DIS 9/11 PCC DCL/WDW 12/12DAP 12/13
Cruised: DCL, CCL, X, RCCL, NCL
mdvlprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #32
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvlprof View Post

Well put.

Cost of cruise - no biggie, it can be absorbed. Cost of medical evac - BIGGIE.
This exactly what we do, we now get medical/evacuation insurance. We dodged a bullet 2 years ago (we didn't have med/evac. insurance), when I had Kidney Stones the morning we arrived back at Port Canaveral. Luckily our car was parked at the Port & my wife was able to get me to a hospital. I had surgery that evening. I can only imagine what would have occurred if we were in Nassau or some other port w/o medical/evacuation insurance . And oh yes we also have passports for me, DW & our 2 DDs.
darkwing818 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2012, 09:08 AM   #33
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

I would never not have a valid passport, but I have family all over the world and you never know what can happen and when you just need to book a flight last minute.

I would also never travel without health insurance. Ever.

But if you are talking about travel insurance, just ask yourself if you would be upset if something happened and you couldn't take the trip. If your answer is yes, then pay for it. if its no...that's the chance i'll take, then don't bother wasting your money on it as it can be a few hundred dollars per person.
Summerl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #34
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Just thought I'd mention that you don't always have that choice. If the insurance company feels that the medical care offered to you where you are is OK, they are not going to fork over the money to have you evacuated to Miami just because you want them to. They will pay for the care in Nassau, then pay for the airfare to get you back home once you've been treated and released (along with a host of other expenses while you're stuck in Nassau). Medical evacuation coverage is there if deemed necessary. If you insist on being evacuated to the mainland, you could be on your own.

I would look very carefully at what is and isn't covered by your AmEx travel insurance. Most of their policies are only for the cardholder, unless you pay extra to cover other members of your family/travel party. I believe you also have to pay extra for medical & cancellation policies. The AmEx travel insurance that you get for purchasing your travel with your card includes things like rental car coverage, accidental death & dismemberment coverage, and loss of luggage coverage. Just make sure it covers what you need. (And it still may be cheaper than you can get elsewhere.) Just be sure you don't assume that credit card "Travel Insurance" covers everything you need it to.

Sayhello

Yes, you should check, even if you have travelled before using it. I just checked mine a few weeks ago, and it has changed from up to 5 people travelling with you unlimited for 8 days to up to 5 people travelling with you up to a million dollars per person for 17 days. We just travelled in September and was gone for 18 days and topped up the balance of the trip. Under the new, we would have only needed 1 day instead of 10, but I am not sure how far a million dollars a person will get us, so maybe it wasn't a good change. I'll have to call, but since this trip was booked under the old insurance, I think we get that as they told me that was what I was getting, but I will be aware for future trips.
Summerl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #35
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

I don't know how accurate this is, but my TA told me that 95% of folks who buy Trip Insurance for a Disney Cruise NEVER needed it.

But the other 5% did.

Personally I think it's a cash cow for the Insurance Companies that sell it. But mostly due to the medical evacuation issue, I'll go ahead and buy it...
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #36
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleromulus View Post
I don't know how accurate this is, but my TA told me that 95% of folks who buy Trip Insurance for a Disney Cruise NEVER needed it.

But the other 5% did.

Personally I think it's a cash cow for the Insurance Companies that sell it. But mostly due to the medical evacuation issue, I'll go ahead and buy it...
All insurance company rates are based on the premise that many premiums will pay for the few claims. I'd rather be part of the 95% that doesn't need to use the insurance than the 5% that does - and be without trip insurance.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #37
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
All insurance company rates are based on the premise that many premiums will pay for the few claims. I'd rather be part of the 95% that doesn't need to use the insurance than the 5% that does - and be without trip insurance.
Exactly!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #38
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

The stress of travelling without trip/med insurance is worth the money to have it for us.

But..remember when you fill those forms out, either read carefully or if you have to fill in medical forms, get someone who knows what all the conditions are to help you!

The couple here had health insurance but because they didn't fill out the forms correctly insurance was refused and they now have a $346,000 dollar bill!
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...rketplace.html

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #39
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgirls View Post
The stress of travelling without trip/med insurance is worth the money to have it for us.

But..remember when you fill those forms out, either read carefully or if you have to fill in medical forms, get someone who knows what all the conditions are to help you!

The couple here had health insurance but because they didn't fill out the forms correctly insurance was refused and they now have a $346,000 dollar bill!
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...rketplace.html
What about the stress of getting your claim denied? Many of these insurance companies write policies that the average person has no chance of figuring out what they are covered for. Have you ever tried to read the policy? Yes most are honest but far too many are out to steal your money.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #40
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillauFr View Post
What about the stress of getting your claim denied? Many of these insurance companies write policies that the average person has no chance of figuring out what they are covered for. Have you ever tried to read the policy? Yes most are honest but far too many are out to steal your money.
agreed.

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #41
dennis8342
Earning My Ears

Another vote for *****************. Do note that medevac is pretty cheap, since very few need it. I was willing to self-insure most things up to the cost of the cruise, but worst case medical situations would be financially catastrophic.

We're going on a 7 day cruise next week, and medevac-only coverage for our young family of 4 was $25. This was for 500K in medical evac and 50K in medical (w/ no preexisting condition exclusions) on the HTH Worldwide "TravelGap Excursion" plan.

Otherwise, basic travel package insurance for us was quoted from about $80-$200, depending on how much coverage we wanted.
dennis8342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #42
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer

I have taken my enhanced license on my last cruise and will probably use it again. The only problem is the last cruise the custum guy didn't believe it was a valid ID for cruise traveling. For my next cruise I'm printing out the State dept or DMV statement stating the are valid for sea travel. I understand regular people not being familiar with enhanced licenses if they aren't issued in your part of the country, but you would think custom agents would be familiar with what form of ID is acceptable.
ZoeBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #43
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleromulus View Post

But the other 5% did.

I'm sure it is. I've lived in my house going on 14 yrs and I've never once put an home owners insurance claim. Yet every year I fork over a good chunk of change. It's a no win situation.
ZoeBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #44
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Passport.

We used insuremytrip, and after getting frustrated with the online process I just called (and I don't like calling). He was able to go through the process for me, and just by being in WA and needing to make SURE that pre-existing conditions would be covered (and it's that part that makes Disney insurance not allowed in WA, because it doesn't cover pre-existing conditions and WA requires that) the number of actual companies I could buy from was reduced.

We were going to cruise with MIL, who has a few conditions, and needed to make sure she was covered AND we were covered if we needed to cancel b/c of her health.

And now we have to cancel her because a brand new problem cropped up and she can't go anymore. Because we're still in the easy cancellation period we won't get anything back for the cruise, but it'll cover the $100 airmiles re-deposit fee for the flight out we had already arranged. Alas, her insurance was about $140, so this time (assuming nothing more happens and the 3 of us can still take the cruise) the insurance company wins, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza32 View Post
I know things are a little different for me in the UK, but my insurance even covers the additional cost of the kennel bill if we're delayed. £10million in medical cover and third party liability for the price of £92 (for a years cover)......it's a no brainer to me, I just add it to the cost of the vacation.
I love the way the UK does it, with it covering you for a year instead of for one trip. We get nowhere near what you get, and just for MIL alone *for this one trip* we paid around $140, and for the three us around $110 (total).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaDisneyLover View Post
...(should probably insure our flights too, but oh well).
You can. We were using miles, so we added the change fee to the insurances.

We have never bought the insurance before for ANY trip, but MIL is getting older and has more and more conditions, and so we needed to make sure she could get home etc etc, and now it's so that we could get home/cancel in case she were to have another series of strokes (the new problems), since I'm her main caregiver and keeper of her information.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 11-01-2012 at 11:17 PM.
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #45
SleepyDeb
Mouseketeer

Yes to the travel insurance for us, also through USAA. We are going in Jan, flu season. We are also traveling from New England, so it is blizzard season. Disneys insurance was over $100 more for two ppl.

Recommend passports. We have them anyway, but they are nice to have.
SleepyDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: