Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 10:11 AM   #16
mrsfuzzmo
DIS Veteran

Sometimes we buy insurance, sometimes we don't. Our last cruise we did not because we got such a great deal, we figured if we missed the cruise it would not be that big of a deal.

Our next cruise in May we are definitely purchasing it. My husband is having some medical issues and we are safeguarding ourselves on this one.

We ALWAYS travel with passports. On our DCL cruise in Sept., while disembarking, there was a line for "Passports only" and the others were for those with BCs. The passport line (well, there was no line) flew through with a glance and the BC lines were long and people had to wait quite a while to be released.
mrsfuzzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:18 AM   #17
DakotaDisneyLover
Mouseketeer

My opinion: Yes, get passports and yes, get travel insurance - a no brainer. I go thru ***************** and have Allianz for our upcoming cruise - $150 total for 3 people on a 7 night cruise. I only insure the cruise part of our vacation, as we can cancel our hotels and rental car with no penalty if we can't go, and can always change our flights for a fee (should probably insure our flights too, but oh well). If you want alot of useful info go to mousesavers.com for anything from cruise and park tips, to insurance, to rental cars, hotels, etc. Good luck!
*Disney Wonder 2010
*Disney Fantasy February 2013
DakotaDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2012, 10:22 AM   #18
hubbard53
Mouseketeer

traveling with passport and travel insurance are both good investments. Insurance is just that, insurance against unforeseen emergencies. I thought about it while on St. Maarten when our cab almost hit an oncoming truck that crossed the center line. What if the worse had happened?

I bought the Disney insurance but realized I really didnt need it as my American Express, which I used to purchase the cruise, had included travel insurance - take a look at whatever credit card you use as it might have it included.
hubbard53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:33 AM   #19
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggs1035 View Post
You can get back to your country without a passport! You get an emergency passport from the us embassy. No country is going to KEEP you! We have enhanced drivers license and no passport and we are not worried at all.
I have a passport so I can walk off the ship and head right to the airport. Can you do that with an enhanced drivers license?

As for trip insurance being a waist of money. To each their own. For ~$75 my husband I and have tens of thousands of dollars of coverage if something should happen to us while we are away. I just don't have that kind of cash laying around in case we need to get home after getting injured. I think you should either have that kind of money or buy the insurance. Medical evacuation is the real value in trip insurance IMO. Everything else is a bonus. I would not buy trip insurance for most land based US vacations.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:46 AM   #20
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
As for trip insurance being a waist of money. To each their own. For ~$75 my husband I and have tens of thousands of dollars of coverage if something should happen to us while we are away. I just don't have that kind of cash laying around in case we need to get home after getting injured. I think you should either have that kind of money or buy the insurance. Medical evacuation is the real value in trip insurance IMO. Everything else is a bonus. I would not buy trip insurance for most land based US vacations.
Anyone who has ever read the HORROR stories about not having trip insurance will pony up the money to buy it, although I agree with you about US land based vacations.

OP, here's a link to a thread on Cruise Critic with someone asking the same question you did. And the responses. YIKES! Really, the cost of the insurance is a drop in the bucket compared to what you're paying to cruise DCL.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...avel+insurance
Old 10-31-2012, 01:30 PM   #21
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetexas View Post
Unlike most people on this board, I like Nassau. That doesn't mean I want any type of serious medical treatment there. If it involves more than a band-aid, I want to be flown to Miami.
Just thought I'd mention that you don't always have that choice. If the insurance company feels that the medical care offered to you where you are is OK, they are not going to fork over the money to have you evacuated to Miami just because you want them to. They will pay for the care in Nassau, then pay for the airfare to get you back home once you've been treated and released (along with a host of other expenses while you're stuck in Nassau). Medical evacuation coverage is there if deemed necessary. If you insist on being evacuated to the mainland, you could be on your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbard53 View Post
traveling with passport and travel insurance are both good investments. Insurance is just that, insurance against unforeseen emergencies. I thought about it while on St. Maarten when our cab almost hit an oncoming truck that crossed the center line. What if the worse had happened?

I bought the Disney insurance but realized I really didnt need it as my American Express, which I used to purchase the cruise, had included travel insurance - take a look at whatever credit card you use as it might have it included.
I would look very carefully at what is and isn't covered by your AmEx travel insurance. Most of their policies are only for the cardholder, unless you pay extra to cover other members of your family/travel party. I believe you also have to pay extra for medical & cancellation policies. The AmEx travel insurance that you get for purchasing your travel with your card includes things like rental car coverage, accidental death & dismemberment coverage, and loss of luggage coverage. Just make sure it covers what you need. (And it still may be cheaper than you can get elsewhere.) Just be sure you don't assume that credit card "Travel Insurance" covers everything you need it to.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:32 PM   #22
barbja99
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillauFr View Post
Trip insurance is a waste of money in my opinion. But then again I think that most insurance that people buy is waste of money.
Our cruise cost is over $20k and is non-refundable by January for a cruise in July. I may have that much money to spend on a cruise, but not that much to just throw out the window should something happen in the 6 months in between there. The 'cancel for any reason' insurance that I have makes me feel a whole lot better. Will I have to use it? Probably not and I hope not.

I'm not buying the ridiculous trip insurance from Disney though. I bought it from the nice folks at *****************.

Disney Wonder: Alaska, July 2013
barbja99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #23
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbja99

Our cruise cost is over $20k and is non-refundable by January for a cruise in July. I may have that much money to spend on a cruise, but not that much to just throw out the window should something happen in the 6 months in between there. The 'cancel for any reason' insurance that I have makes me feel a whole lot better. Will I have to use it? Probably not and I hope not.

I'm not buying the ridiculous trip insurance from Disney though. I bought it from the nice folks at *****************.
We purchased insurance for both the Med and Baltic. We needed it for the Med because we lost every single piece of luggage (thank you air France), but didn't need it for the Baltic. We are cruising the Med yet again in July and you can bet we are buying the ins again . The cost is relatively small, but the benefits great when you need it.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:11 PM   #24
manateesmom
Mouseketeer

I recommend Squaremouth for trip insurance, they have more "plain English" descriptions of the terms than insuremytrip, IMO.

We always cruise in the fall, peak hurricane season. The cost of insurance is always well under $200 for us, about 1/20th the cost of the trip. It's a minimal expense, I don't want to throw away thousands and not be able to vacation, and we tend to plan out WAY in advance so it's good to be covered in case something creeps up just before we go.

I agree re: medical evacuations, that's a major reason to have trip insurance IMO. If it's the only reason you'd buy trip insurance, look at MedJet Assist, they will fly you anywhere in the world on your say-so. Even if local medical care is "adequate," you call and tell them where you want to be and they take you, no questions asked.

I always travel with a passport for everyone in the family (even DS when he was 18 months).
manateesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:54 PM   #25
SG101
Mouseketeer

I bought trip insurance through ***************** and so glad I did. Our trip is already super expensive, and if any of us get sick out there, I want the peace of mind knowing that I don't have to pay for anybody to get home. With that being said, you can't fly from another country into the US without a passport (not a passport card). So we all have passports.

Some of my friends didn't buy trip insurance and they are only going with birth certificates for the kids --- not a smart move in my book, but they have to live with the consquences, not me.
SG101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:02 PM   #26
zstyles
Mouseketeer

We bought passports and insurance...our inlaws actually had to cancel the week before the cruise due to a medical thing so they were really happy they had it..plus the passports can be used to escape the country if need be in the future...
Old 10-31-2012, 04:10 PM   #27
OurDogCisco
DIS Veteran

I sometimes buy trip insurance and unfortunately, I did not for our last cruise. Sadly wish I had. 7 days before we left I fell and dislocated my elbow. They had to pop it back in. We went to WDW for the first part and 5 night cruise afterwards. I fell the night we were leaving. So, I had to stay at home alone from Saturday to until Wednesday. I had to pay $500 in change fees for my flight and to upgrade to economy plus as I was in a sling with a splint which went to the tip of my fingers. I also loss out on my annual pass as I only got to use it for 6 days. Our trip was 6 nights at WDW followed by 5 night cruise and then, 3 nights at WDW. I was pretty miserable and would have preferred to skip the parks so my family could have fun without me. But I didn't have insurance. The only great thing was I got to rest as I had my meals served to me and I didn't have to worry about feeding the family. I was out at least $1000 with airfare, park tickets and lodging. Would have been nice to get some of that money back.

You just never know. I'm perfectly healthy otherwise. Now, for our Europe cruises I did purchase trip insurance because those were very expensive. I also purchase insurance for our next cruise in November. I use *****************
OurDogCisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:00 PM   #28
NikiM20
This is my first exchange so play fair!!
We have a pretty nice little zoo here

If I used my DVC points to pay for our trip do I have to go brought Disney for insurance?
Old 10-31-2012, 06:20 PM   #29
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Our first family trip to Europe was before any of us cruised - so we all have passports.

I always buy trip insurance for cruises, but not for US land trips. I buy mine from the Trip Insurance Store (www.tripinsurancestore.com), and the company I choose depends on when I purchase the insurance relative to the first trip payment.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:25 PM   #30
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Just thought I'd mention that you don't always have that choice. If the insurance company feels that the medical care offered to you where you are is OK, they are not going to fork over the money to have you evacuated to Miami just because you want them to. They will pay for the care in Nassau, then pay for the airfare to get you back home once you've been treated and released (along with a host of other expenses while you're stuck in Nassau). Medical evacuation coverage is there if deemed necessary. If you insist on being evacuated to the mainland, you could be on your own.
Sayhello
I know, I was exaggerating to make a point. But thanks for clarifying that for people who may not know how it works.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: