Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #1
Mousemom
DIS Veteran

Do you buy trip insurance/what about passports

We are planning our first cruise. Disney does not offer trip insurance for people living in our state. The travel agent did give us a link to look at different places we could buy it. There are so many I don't know where to start. Anybody have any recommendations of which one to use? Also, do you use a passport or birth certificate and photo ID. I'm leaning towards just getting the passport.
Mousemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemom View Post
We are planning our first cruise. Disney does not offer trip insurance for people living in our state. The travel agent did give us a link to look at different places we could buy it. There are so many I don't know where to start. Anybody have any recommendations of which one to use? Also, do you use a passport or birth certificate and photo ID. I'm leaning towards just getting the passport.
IMO, passport book is easiest. One thing to show and you know they will take it. Plus I have it if I ever want to go on a different trip out of the country.

As for insurance, plenty of people will tell you it is a waste of money. I want it for the emergency evacuation part, not so much the trip cancellation. I can eat the cruise fare but I cant afford to get a medical airplane or helicopter to get me home so we buy the insurance. I'm guessing you are in Washington since DCL cant sell it to you. Hopefully someone with experience there can help you with choosing a provider.
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

We generally do TravelGuard because that is the insurance that Costco Travel offers. And we travel with passports.
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #4
DisSarahK
Missing Mickey...

Yes, I bought travel insurance and I'm glad I bought it even though we didn't use it. I bought it through a company that is contracted with USAA. It gave me great peace of mind that if we had any problems that confined us to our cabin for any reason (I had a huge fear of norovirus) that we would have a portion of our cost refunded to us).

We did go ahead and get passports. It just seemed like less of a headache than traveling with birth certificates. As it turns out, it was a good thing as my husband was sent to England for work with very little notice--it was just assumed that he had a passport. Luckily he did!

DisSarahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #5
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Trip insurance is a waste of money in my opinion. But then again I think that most insurance that people buy is waste of money.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
llqool
DIS Veteran

Location: Stationed in Germany, but STILL a FL resident (yeah!!!!)

We have used Travel Insured (through USAA) for the past two trips...they seem to have reasonably good coverage for a fairly good price.

Do you need insurance? You should ask yourself if the loss you might incur without insurance would be catastrophic to you. Would you be willing to be out of pocket for the entire cruise fare? More importantly, could you afford to pay to be medivac-ed out of another country should something happen to you?

It's true that sometimes insurance isn't a good economic decision (for example, Best Buy wants you to buy their $50 policy on an iPod -- you'd be better off taking the chance, because a $199 or $299 loss isn't really catastrophic to most people). But in instances where you could be out $20,000 or even $100,000, I think it's a prudent decision, even if you never end up filing a claim.
llqool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

We definitely travel with passports because if you have to come back to the US from somewhere else by air, you can't get in without it. So while you can sail without a passport, we went ahead and got them before our first cruise because of the whole possibility of needing to return by air (and yeah, a giant hot dog could fall out of the sky, too). We've since used our passports for other trips so yay! (I had a passport for 10 years and never went anywhere - that was sad.)

We get travel insurance for cruises because we don't always have the flexibility to just change the dates if something happens and also for the evacuation portion - just never know and it's not that much - we include it in the budget for vacations.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:08 AM   #8
maggs1035
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom
We definitely travel with passports because if you have to come back to the US from somewhere else by air, you can't get in without it. So while you can sail without a passport, we went ahead and got them before our first cruise because of the whole possibility of needing to return by air (and yeah, a giant hot dog could fall out of the sky, too). We've since used our passports for other trips so yay! (I had a passport for 10 years and never went anywhere - that was sad.)

We get travel insurance for cruises because we don't always have the flexibility to just change the dates if something happens and also for the evacuation portion - just never know and it's not that much - we include it in the budget for vacations.
You can get back to your country without a passport! You get an emergency passport from the us embassy. No country is going to KEEP you! We have enhanced drivers license and no passport and we are not worried at all.
maggs1035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:36 AM   #9
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggs1035 View Post
You can get back to your country without a passport! You get an emergency passport from the us embassy. No country is going to KEEP you! We have enhanced drivers license and no passport and we are not worried at all.
And if you're needing to get back, if you have your passport it's easier than having to work with an embassy to get an emergency one. I did not mean to imply that another country would keep you - just that you are not allowed back into the US by air without a passport. So yeah, you can travel without one on a cruise that leaves from and returns to the US, but if you need to return to the US by air, you have to have a passport (regular or emergency issues) to get back into the US.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
reimero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by llqool View Post
We have used Travel Insured (through USAA) for the past two trips...they seem to have reasonably good coverage for a fairly good price.

Do you need insurance? You should ask yourself if the loss you might incur without insurance would be catastrophic to you. Would you be willing to be out of pocket for the entire cruise fare? More importantly, could you afford to pay to be medivac-ed out of another country should something happen to you?

It's true that sometimes insurance isn't a good economic decision (for example, Best Buy wants you to buy their $50 policy on an iPod -- you'd be better off taking the chance, because a $199 or $299 loss isn't really catastrophic to most people). But in instances where you could be out $20,000 or even $100,000, I think it's a prudent decision, even if you never end up filing a claim.
One thing I want to add to this: for medical expenses in particular, it's important to know what your primary insurance covers and where it's valid. For instance, I know that my primary insurance will not cover anything out of the country except literal life-or-death treatment. And it won't cover medical evacuation. If you're on the ship and have need of on-board medical services, you will be charged a pretty penny (a couple hundred dollars just for a visit) and your primary medical insurance may not cover it.

Trip insurance is one of those things you hope you never need, but are oh-so-glad to have when you do need it. My parents were traveling abroad when my mom suffered a fairly nasty fall (not life-threatening.) Trip insurance covered the associated medical bills, and because the doctor said in no uncertain terms that she was not to fly coach because of the risk of blood clots, they covered the cost of an upgrade to first class, as well as the associated fare change fees. It was a very, very worthwhile purchase for my parents.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:48 AM   #11
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

I cannot believe that anyone would contemplate travelling without insurance these days. Can you afford to lose the cost of your holiday, the cost of your possessions, the cost of medivac???

I know things are a little different for me in the UK, but my insurance even covers the additional cost of the kennel bill if we're delayed. £10million in medical cover and third party liability for the price of £92 (for a years cover)......it's a no brainer to me, I just add it to the cost of the vacation.
Eliza32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:48 AM   #12
GatorWayne
Earning My Ears

We have passports for a variety of reasons; excellent document to identify who you are, a bit easier at start and finish of the cruise, and much less hassle if left in port or have to return to the USA.

We also always buy travel insurance no matter how long or short the trip is. We get ours through USAA. This cruise it costs us $35 per person. Why do we buy it? The simplest is a medical evacuation probably starts at $25,000 just to get you off the ship. One slip on a wet deck or trip on stairs and you could very well be a candidate for a helicopter ride. In 10 cruises we have not needed it once but I would rather have it. I consider it a part of going on a cruise.
GatorWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:49 AM   #13
Gatrcruzer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillauFr View Post
Trip insurance is a waste of money in my opinion. But then again I think that most insurance that people buy is waste of money.
Yes, insurance is a waste of money....unless you need it. Clearly most of the time you don't need it, but in the rare circumstance in which you might need it, it is good to have. I agree with others that it is particularly important to get it for medical care/evacuation. And while some can eat the cost of the trip, for others it can be a lifesaver to get the money back in case of inability to do the trip.

I also think it is good to have a passport, cruise or not. While you can get an emergency passport at a US embassy, this is not easy or quick. Much easier to be able to fly back with your own passport.
Gatrcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:50 AM   #14
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillauFr View Post
Same here...
Old 10-31-2012, 10:00 AM   #15
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Passports are just easier and they last for ten years; why not get one?

As for travel insurance, as most everyone else has already pointed out - get it. I don't know who you regularly travel with but consider this, as with life insurance, premiums are less when you are young and healthy. Reason? The biggest chance of you dying is in an accident. The same is true while traveling; the biggest chance you have of something going badly wrong is from an accident and if, heaven forbid, that happens to you or one of your children, you will want to be evacuated back out of whatever country you're in and treated in the US. I always get a policy with a minimum of $50,000 in medical evac.

Unlike most people on this board, I like Nassau. That doesn't mean I want any type of serious medical treatment there. If it involves more than a band-aid, I want to be flown to Miami.

www.tripinsurancestore.com
www.*****************

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: