Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
TwoCortWort
A Buckeye Disney Princess

Mama Melrose...what can you tell me about it?

We have ate at Pizza Planet at HS numerous times and some one suggested Mama Melrose to us this past time. How's the food there? My dad is skeptical because it's flatbread pizza, but I would love to try a pasta meal there personally. What would you recommend for first time customers?

TwoCortWort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
fflmaster
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Out of the restaurants in HS, Mama is our favorite.

The food isn't the greatest, but is decent.

Think of Mama as an expensive olive garden, but the food is a bit better.

If you really want good Italian take a break and go to tutto or via napoli in italy at epcot.

You can take the boat over to epcot (if you have park hoppers) and have a much better dinner then be back to HS in time for fantasmic.

If you don't have the park hoppers then Mama is a good place to eat. Just don't expect it to be a signature restaurant.

It's good not great.

Register to remove

Old 10-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

Our Ratings of Mama Melrose: (8/4/2012)
. . . food price value: C
. . . food quality: C
. . . food quantity per serving: B
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: B
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: B
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: B
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: C
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE: The Italian restorante does try to serve authentic dishes, but
like most WDW eateries, is highly Americanized. Even though, the food
is tasty and pleasingly plated. However, the pricing is high for the meals
offered, bringing the value rating down to a "C". We were not satisfied
with paying $20 for spaghetti with clams and clam sauce, and the $22
Pork Chop was overpriced. They have an Italian wine cellar, but nothing
to write home about. Even with these, the eatery is more than acceptable
as an in-park restaurant, and is above average.
TheRustyScupper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
KimBeano
Mouseketeer

We ate at MM last November. My 11 yo DD and DH got the chicken parmesan. It was dry, not tasty and overpriced. I got the flatbread pizza and was best thing on table. My 2 yo DD had dry spaghetti. The rolls were anemic, no flavor, no color. I would say worse than Olive Garden and I hate OG. Not a fan, wont return. DHS is hard when it comes to food. We'll be there 2 days in Dec and we're doing CS for all meals except Sci-Fi. Great BBQ sandwich and macaroni truffle hot dog at Fairfax Fare though! :-)
KimBeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
CamColt
Only thinks she’s not losing it
Mom gone wild!
I really feel like I have a good grip on things now
B1 BINGO!

We love Mama Melrose. The penne alla vodka is my favorite.

CamColt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Have to agree with the PPs opinion of the Penne alla Vodka. Also, the strip steak has been very well prepared and flavourful. While we have had issues with the wait for tables in the past, we've never found fault with the food quality.

PS: the warm Chocolate Truffle Cake is a chocolate lover's dream come true.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
thej
DIS Veteran

We ate there on NYE last year and while that might not be the best barometer of a Disney restaurant, I'd have to say it was OK. The atmosphere is nice, the food is decent (but not great.) We still think for Italian Tony's is much better, and that Sci-Fi diner is better food and atmosphere. If you want really good pizza though, go to Via Napoli in Epcot. It's worth the trip!

1977 - 1st trip to MK | 85-95 - day trips | Jun 88 - Disney Inn | May 90 - Grad Nite | May 03 - DCL | Jan 09 - CR
Jan 10 - CSR | Jun 10 - PoP | Feb 11 - ASMu | Jun 11 - DCL Alaska | Jan 12 - PoP/AKL | Jun 12 - AKL | May 13 CSR
Oct 13 - 1st Disneyland visit! | May 14 SWW- AKL

thej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:05 PM   #8
CamColt
Only thinks she’s not losing it
Mom gone wild!
I really feel like I have a good grip on things now
B1 BINGO!

I should also add the theming is spot on.

After many visits to Mama Melrose, we dined at a little Italian place in the heart of Hollywood a few years back. DS's impression was "This place reminds me of Mama Melrose!".

CamColt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
TwoCortWort

Thanks for the opinions. I think we are going to check it out to see.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
Sweettears
50 years of Disney and counting

Although it hasn't shown up yet, there are some pretty negative opinions on the DIS as well.

Personally I thought it was pretty good. I went in with lower expectations since it is theme park food and came away happy.
Sweettears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:11 PM   #11
winnieatepooh
Mouseketeer

I just ate here on my trip at the end of September. It was very good! The only thing I have to complain about was the wait...I had a 6:30 ADR but I didn't get seated until about 7:15. That was the only time I had to wait for an ADR.

However, our server was very nice (and British!) and the food was very good. One of our favorite meals of the trip!

My fiance had the pork osso bucco with polenta and vegetables; he loved this!

And I had the chicken campanelle (I substituted shrimp), it had cheese, broccoflower, and sundried tomatoes. This was absolutely delicious, the shrimp were HUGE, and the portion was quite large.

We also had the tiramisu and no-sugar added panna cotta and both were delicious. Also a frozen cappuccino which was also very good!

2013 - POP
2012 - CSR
2011 - Off Site
2005 - Off Site
1998 - Off Site
winnieatepooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:29 PM   #12
TwoCortWort

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnieatepooh View Post
I just ate here on my trip at the end of September. It was very good! The only thing I have to complain about was the wait...I had a 6:30 ADR but I didn't get seated until about 7:15. That was the only time I had to wait for an ADR.

However, our server was very nice (and British!) and the food was very good. One of our favorite meals of the trip!

My fiance had the pork osso bucco with polenta and vegetables; he loved this!

And I had the chicken campanelle (I substituted shrimp), it had cheese, broccoflower, and sundried tomatoes. This was absolutely delicious, the shrimp were HUGE, and the portion was quite large.

We also had the tiramisu and no-sugar added panna cotta and both were delicious. Also a frozen cappuccino which was also very good!
Wow that looks good to me We had an ADR at Plaza our final day at 3:15 and didn't get seated until 4:30. -.- We just made our reservation for this place, so we shall see what happens.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #13
CaliforniaDreaming
#1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert

Mama Melrose is our top pick at DHS and we eat there often. I recommend their flatbreads, especially the wild mushroom one. Much better than the pizzas you'd get at Pizza Planet. I've had some of their chicken entrees in the past which are no longer on the menu, and haven't been disappointed (there was one with fontina cheese and arugala that was absolutely fantastic).

I wouldn't say it compares to Il Mulino or Portobello, but its still a solid choice for theme park dining.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:56 PM   #14
nanhol
Mouseketeer

We haven't been to Disney since 2010, but had a great experience at Mama Melrose's when we needed to add in a reservation to make up for a later meal we had to cancel. I had chicken parmesan, which is my standby "Italian" dish. It wasn't the best I've ever had, but it was pretty darn good. My husband and son had flatbread pizza and enjoyed it well enough (I remember they didn't complain about it!)

The thing we enjoyed the most was the interactions with one of the HS "street" characters--the kinds of folks who wander around outside at HS, dressed in old fashioned clothes. I don't know if they still do that at HS or at Mama Melrose's (it's been about 2.5 years!), but he had my kids giggling like crazy. It was a rainy day and we were quite damp and the kids needed some cheering up--he came to the table and feigned surprise and said "Oh my, I didn't know you were back in town!" He went on to offer them roles in his film and brought over an old fashioned phone at one point and said someone was on the phone to talk about the movie. It was really cute and made their day. I hope they still have some interactions like that--but I don't hear about it on the disboards, so I'm not sure if they do! (Or maybe he was just seeking refuge from the rain that day and it's not normal at all!)

Hard Rock Hotel & Polynesian in August 2015
nanhol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:18 PM   #15
BrookeMQ
Mouseketeer

We went a few years ago. Our extended family of 10 all were on the dining plan. We ate at a bunch of places that week and this was our least favorite place. Our meals were all just ok. Nothing was bad but nothing was that great. I had the chicken parm and it was not very good.
BrookeMQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: