Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 09:54 AM   #16
TigrLvsPooh
Disney's Ultimate Fan, and our very own Travel Channel television star!!!
Anthony's Girl
Got my way

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
We have heard reports from some that they tagged their bags, but then took a rental car to their resort. They checked in, got their passes, and went off to a park for the rest of the day. When they got back to their room, they found that a bag was missing. Now, about 8 hrs had gone by. So, they called Bell Services, who said that it was an airline issue. Well...upon calling the airline, they were told that DME must have lost the bag!! Nice way to start your trip!!
If DME knows that you have checked 4 bags, but they check off only 3, they realize that one isn't there. Then, they can start looking for it. They are supposed to act on your behalf. If no one has filed a report, within a certain amount of time, the airlines get all nudgy and refuse to accept responsibility.

Doesn't happen very often, but it has happened. And the people most impacted by it are those who have tagged their bags and then not been on the bus. Again..the vast majority of people will be just fine. But if you're that person that it does affect?? Not so much fun.
Speaking as someone who has experienced lost luggage I can definitely understand that concern. It's hard enough trying to track it down when you're standing at the carousel empty handed!
My WDW Resort stays: Grand Floridian 2012, 2003, 2001, 1994 * Polynesian 2013, 2011, 2008, 2008, 2005, 2003 * Contemporary 2014, 2008 * Bay Lake Tower 2013 *Boardwalk 2014, 2013, 2006, 2004 * Wilderness Cabin 1998 * Dixie Landings 1999 * All Star Music 2001 * Caribbean Beach Resort 2012, 2002 * Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014, 2012, 2011, 2008, 2006, 2005 * Old Key West 2009, 2008, 2004, 2003, 2002 * Yacht Club 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010, 2002 * Beach Club 2014, 2012, 2011, 2008, 2003 * Swan 2006, 2005, 2003 * Pop Century 2014, 2013, 2012, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004 * Art of Animation 2014 * Wilderness Lodge 2014, 2011, 2004, 2003 * Saratoga Springs 2015, 2007 * Port Orleans French Quarter 2014, 2013, 2004 * Coronado Spring 2014 *
Old 10-31-2012, 11:22 AM   #17
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Yes, that is sort of Disney's official line. In all actuality, they will say that you can not book luggage transfer only.
They actually have changed the language in the DME FAQ to be much stronger than that. It now says:

Quote:
Please note: The service does not provide luggage-only transfer.
So it's now clear that their policy is guests are not supposed to have their luggage transferred without also taking the DME bus. That said, the problem for Disney is that they don't have any way to enforce that policy and, in fact, their contract with MCO apparently requires them to collect and transport any bag that has a DME tag (during luggage service operating hours).

Does Disney want you to use DME as a luggage-only service? No
Do they have a policy that says you must use the bus to get luggage transfer service? Yes
In practical terms, can you use DME only for luggage transfers? Yes
Will your bags get to your resort room if you tag them and don't take the bus? Probably

What each individual needs to decide (over and above their general views on following or not following rules) is if the "probably" represents enough of a risk.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic E. Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy W. Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL; October 2014, Disney Magic S. Caribbean and Repo B2B

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2012, 01:42 PM   #18
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestocost View Post
They actually have changed the language in the DME FAQ to be much stronger than that. It now says:

So it's now clear that their policy is guests are not supposed to have their luggage transferred without also taking the DME bus. That said, the problem for Disney is that they don't have any way to enforce that policy and, in fact, their contract with MCO apparently requires them to collect and transport any bag that has a DME tag (during luggage service operating hours).

Does Disney want you to use DME as a luggage-only service? No
Do they have a policy that says you must use the bus to get luggage transfer service? Yes
In practical terms, can you use DME only for luggage transfers? Yes
Will your bags get to your resort room if you tag them and don't take the bus? Probably

What each individual needs to decide (over and above their general views on following or not following rules) is if the "probably" represents enough of a risk.
While they may 'say' they don't provide luggage only transfer, in all reality, they do. People are doing it everyday.
Is there some way Disney could deal with this? Sure. When you get to the DME bus area, and get checked in, you should now be in the system as getting on the bus and heading to your resort. Your vouchers are scanned. Ok. Your tagged bags are scanned upon arrival as well...several times in fact. There has to be a way that they could make it show, in the system, that your bags were moved, but you weren't. As in..bags are scanned, no vouchers were scanned. The reservation number is on those baggage tags...so they can be scanned. For each bag scanned, there could be a fee..say $2 per bag. If you get on that bus, with your voucher scanned, it negates your baggage charge. If you don't get on the bus, then your 'baggage fees' are added to your resort bill. As long as guests know this going in, it shouldn't be any issue.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:51 PM   #19
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR View Post
Interesting. I didn't know this.

Is this the "official policy" answer or the unofficial "how it works even though Disney doesn't want you doing this" answer?
The later.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:20 PM   #20
jessic2422
Mouseketeer

But it sounds like it would be acceptable for one member of my party to get on the ME and say that we have 3 bags.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:44 PM   #21
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessic2422 View Post
But it sounds like it would be acceptable for one member of my party to get on the ME and say that we have 3 bags.
Wouldn't it be a lot less hassle and a lot less complicated to just rent a bigger car?

Or take ME to your resort and then pick up your rental. Several places to get the rental IN WDW or at a hotel near DTD.

Last edited by minnie mum; 10-31-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:51 PM   #22
jessic2422
Mouseketeer

It's a few hundred dollars more expensive to get an SUV. We will have three suitcases and a stroller. I drive a large car at home and my stroller takes up tons of room.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:33 PM   #23
DisneylandDad
Mouseketeer

I think that it would be ok if some in your party took ME. Last year, I was on a different flight than my wife and kids. I rented a car and my wife and kids took ME when they got there. We used the luggage service--we had only checked 2 bags. One bag was listed as my wife's and one under my son's name. That way they "matched" when my wife and kids got onto ME. Hope this helps!
Old 11-01-2012, 06:36 AM   #24
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR View Post
Interesting. I didn't know this.

Is this the "official policy" answer or the unofficial "how it works even though Disney doesn't want you doing this" answer?
It is the latter. And whenever this subject pops up I always wonder why it is allowed, as part of the rules of the Dis is to not post ways to get around Disney policy?

To me it is not different than asking if you can sneak another person into your room. You may not get caught, but it is still against policy, so it is still wrong to do. Getting away with something or not should not be how we judge if doing something is ok.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #25
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
It is the latter. And whenever this subject pops up I always wonder why it is allowed, as part of the rules of the Dis is to not post ways to get around Disney policy?

To me it is not different than asking if you can sneak another person into your room. You may not get caught, but it is still against policy, so it is still wrong to do. Getting away with something or not should not be how we judge if doing something is ok.
Had the exact same thought! I see threads closed all the time with the standard 'Disney's policy is *insert here* and ways to go around policy are not allowed.'

Sharing DDP credits, kids getting adult meals, lying about the age of kids because Disney doesn't check, etc.

Obviously the Op's question was genuine and she's not trying to be deceptive, so I'm glad she got the answer. But even I'm definitely shocked - even the mod jumped on the 'that's policy, but' discussion!

OP, you can absolutely have 1 person ride DME with the 3 bags - that is not a problem at all
Old 11-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #26
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessic2422 View Post
Absolutely the best way to do it. Many people find this to be the way to go since they don't need a huge car except for luggage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post

You're right. But, the issue is that while Disney 'says' you can't do it, they allow it to happen. It's kind of a 'grey area' in Disney official policy. Now that they have changed the wording (a bit), it looks to be a little more 'official'. But who knows.
It's very different than putting too many people in a room. First, you are dealing with fire codes. Then, you are usually taking money out of Disney's pocket if that addtl person 'could' have been on the reservation. Then, the addtl, unpaid for person doesn't get a room key or EMH benefits.
If you send your luggage without riding the bus, you're the only one who stands to suffer, or have an issue.

But, it's far better (for the general riding public) to have people send their bags with DME and then get themselves there with a rental car vs bringing all their checked bags to the bus with them!!! Now, that's something that impacts everyone on that bus!!
Old 11-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #27
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

I think this is a better fit for the transportation board; I'm going to move it over there.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #28
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post

Obviously the Op's question was genuine and she's not trying to be deceptive, so I'm glad she got the answer. But even I'm definitely shocked - even the mod jumped on the 'that's policy, but' discussion!
I'm glad the OP got an answer too. It was an honest question.

Don't be shocked that Mom (goofy4tink) hopped into the discussion. She is good that way! Not so quick to shut things down and smack hands (though she will) but always ready to offer up another viewpoint.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #29
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
Had the exact same thought! I see threads closed all the time with the standard 'Disney's policy is *insert here* and ways to go around policy are not allowed.'

Sharing DDP credits, kids getting adult meals, lying about the age of kids because Disney doesn't check, etc.

OP, you can absolutely have 1 person ride DME with the 3 bags - that is not a problem at all
The thing that concerns me is when someone asks a question and they get some not so great advice. We all know that there are certain things that Disney would prefer us not to do, but people do it anyway. And this is one of those cases. So, I want posters to have all the info they need in order to make an informed decision.

Here's the issue....there really aren't all that many people tagging their bags and then taking alternative transportation to WDW from MCO. Yes, there are some, but not a huge number. This whole 'Disney wants to hold us hostage by making us ride the DME bus' mentality is not accurate. Disney knows that there are going to be those guests who will rent a car...all the time. Nothing that Disney does is going to get those people on the bus...they want their car and that's it. But, sometimes those people may not want to rent a big car, or they don't want to wait at baggage claim..whatever...so they tag those bags and let DME transport them to the resort. Not a huge deal. I just think that Disney doesn't want a lot of the headache that is going to come from someone who tags their bags, then rents a car, and gets to their resort only to find that a bag hasn't been delivered!!! This guest has not used DME the way Disney tells us to...so Disney now can wash their hands of the whole thing....sort of anyway.

I just don't see this as a huge deal. It doesn't impact anyone other than that particular guest. Every single person that stays onsite at WDW is paying for DME...via their room rates. Not that that makes any difference. As I said before, if someone wants to tag those bags and then rent a car, fine. It's the guest that brings all of their checked baggage to the DME bus that irritates me. Slows down the entire process.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #30
conandrob240
DIS Veteran

Couldn't you further solve for these rare "issues" by actually checking in at the ME counter, giving them the # of bags and then walking off the line and getting into your rental car?
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: