Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
chirurgeon
I am a delicate flower and need my sleep

New iMac. I need techie opinions

So just as I was about to order a new iMac, they came out with the new ones. Being the kind of lady where bigger is better, I had planned to get the 2tb hard drive. But the new ones don't offer an optionally bigger hard drive on the smaller one. At this point Apple isn't showing the upgrade prices, but:

1) do I need a 27" screen? I'm getting older, but I don't thing I REALLY need a screen that big for my computer.

2) 3tb, that's huge. I probably wouldn't need any external storage for the life of the computer, no matter how many photos I add even in RAW.

3) any wild guesses on the upgrade cost? I wish they would at least give that info so I can make an informed decision. And I hate that they are releasing them separately.

I need opinions.

Thanks,
Kim

CBR 4/00, YC 12/02, ASSp 6/05, AKL/BWI 12/06, ASSP/POFQ 6/07, POFQ/AKL 12/08, PCC 1 5/09, Dolphin/POP 2.0 12/09, POFQ/BCV 04/10, PCC 2.0 12/10, POR 12/11, ABD BSM 7/12, PCC 4.0 12/12, BC 4/13, ABD BSM 7/14
chirurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

1) do I need a 27" screen? I'm getting older, but I don't thing I REALLY need a screen that big for my computer.
I have two 27" screens for my IMac. I do not how I functioned without it.

2) 3tb, that's huge. I probably wouldn't need any external storage for the life of the computer, no matter how many photos I add even in RAW.

I have filled up 6TB this year, just this year, in only 10 months.

3) any wild guesses on the upgrade cost? I wish they would at least give that info so I can make an informed decision. And I hate that they are releasing them separately.

I would get a 1 TB internal and a a 2 or 3 TB external USB 3.0 drive for around $150.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
SkaGoat
Mouseketeer

What kind of things will you be using your iMac for?
SkaGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
DeltaDiamond001
DISaholic
I thought getting a new box of crayons and a pad of paper was cool...

I'd get the 27" with the 3TB HD. I like having a large screen so I can multitask without switching between windows. I write a lot of research papers, and being able to put MS Word on one side and Safari or Notes on the other is brilliant.

Over the summer, I purchased a 15" MBP. My 13" MB was getting slow and the 250GB HD was full. I actually had most of my stuff stored externally. Having 2" of extra screen real estate is great, and with a 750GB HD, I can store all of my stuff right on the computer. Of course, I still back it up, but it's nice to have.

If you're in to intensive photo or video editing and/or gaming, be sure to get one with the upgraded GPU. I'm SO happy I did that with my MBP. I can have multiple graphics heavy applications open at once (currently 7, with 12 different windows) and my computer runs at the same speed it does otherwise.

Finally, be sure to at least try the Magic Trackpad. It sounds silly for a desktop computer, but is so much easier to use than a mouse once you've been working on a Mac laptop for awhile.

Good luck and enjoy your new computer!

ETA: I downloaded an app called Cinch for maximizing my screen's size when multitasking. It works very much like Windows 7 in which you can drag a window to a side of the screen and it will automatically be resized to fit exactly half of the screen. You can also pull a window up to the top and it will expand it for full screen viewing. The app is $6.99 on the App Store and is very much worth it if you're interested in multitasking with ease.

"If you can dream it, you can do it." ~Walt Disney
DeltaDiamond001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
chirurgeon

I'm looking to do photo editing, trying to get into shooting in RAW. Get into video now that my dslr can to video. Just wish the 27" was coming out in November instead of December. My MBP hasn't been behaving itself. I am not a patient person.

Kim

CBR 4/00, YC 12/02, ASSp 6/05, AKL/BWI 12/06, ASSP/POFQ 6/07, POFQ/AKL 12/08, PCC 1 5/09, Dolphin/POP 2.0 12/09, POFQ/BCV 04/10, PCC 2.0 12/10, POR 12/11, ABD BSM 7/12, PCC 4.0 12/12, BC 4/13, ABD BSM 7/14
Old 10-30-2012, 10:57 PM   #6
kaligal
DIS Veteran

Nobody needs a 27" screen. But the bigger, the better, IMO.

I thought the big screen was a little much, too. It isn't. I love it.

I'm waiting patiently for the day when my computer and TV screen are one in the same. Now that the computer is in the screen itself, I don't see why they can't just make it all one thing.
Fantasmic sucks.

Last edited by kaligal; 10-30-2012 at 11:03 PM.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:41 AM   #7
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

I'm probably a dissenting vote here, but I prefer a laptop to a desktop. Its so much more comfortable sitting on the couch, or the bed, or on the back porch, while using the computer than having to be tied to one place with a desktop.

We've got 3 MBP's in the house. One could be replaced by a desktop because that's my media server & back-up host machine. But the way we work it is I get a new laptop, my old one goes to Val and her old one becomes the media machine. So there isn't a reason for us to buy a desktop.

Having said all that, if I were to buy a desktop, I'd get the 27 inch with a lot of built in memory but wouldn't go overboard on the hard drive. A little more research may be necessary with the new iMac's though. I'm not sure how easy it will be to add memory or replace hard drives in such a slim machine. I regularly upgrade my MBP's like that and all it takes is a (torx) screwdriver plus a bit of a delicate touch on those machines. Will the new iMac be as easy?

Anyway, the reason I wouldn't go overboard on the hard drive is that you can easily add a huge external drive to a stationary machine, usually for much cheaper than Apple wants to charge for the bigger internal drive. In fact, I'd consider going the SSD route for the computer for performance reasons.

Performance is also the reason I would go with more internal memory. I've got 8G on my main MBP and am considering going to 16G. This is especially important when doing graphics as the files and programs can take a lot of space. Again though, Apple will charge a lot for that extra internal memory. You may be happy enough with the "standard" amount to start with and then upgrade later if the new iMac is easily upgradable.

Oh, and since you're going to be tied down in one place anyway by all means get the big screen!
Old 10-31-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
chirurgeon

Definitely going for at least 8gb in memory. As for the hard drive I just hate dealing with an external drive. And if they made a 21" MBP I wouldn't hesitate. I want the bigger screen.

What's really ticking me off is the fact they haven't listed any of the prices except for the base models. Even if I can't order yet let me make an educated choice.

Kim

Old 10-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
SkaGoat
Mouseketeer

I would have at least one external drive so you can have a backup, drives do fail. As far as screen size, for working with your photos and movies you'll love the 27" screen. Lots of room for your photos as well as pallets and tool bars.

All models of the new iMac have 8GB of RAM so that's no worry there. It's possible they haven't set the prices for the BTO options yet. Which is why they haven't released that info.
SkaGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:50 PM   #10
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
I'm probably a dissenting vote here, but I prefer a laptop to a desktop.
Having moved from Windows desktop to MBP I am with you on this

The 27" iMac is a lovely looking beast however

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board

Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:35 PM   #11
chirurgeon

I would definitely have an external drive for a back up, but I don't want to have to deal with an external drive as a regular storage device.

I am not a patient person. I want what I want and I want it NOW!!!!!!!

Kim

Old 10-31-2012, 10:43 PM   #12
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

I have a 21 inch iMac that I adore.

Not sure if I would feel the need for 27 inches, but seeing that I dont have one....I'm not really a good judge.

Dont hesitate to buy the iMac.

And Simon is right. Get a track pad. Awesome.

If you are in the market for some cool Mac gadgets...visit www.twelvesouth.com.

They have some neat stuff.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:31 PM   #13
AndyPok1
Back in MCO!
To answer the other question, getting along is boring
I like tacos

I bought a 24" monitor back in 2004. Was able to write it off as a business expense since I used it for poker playing!

To this day, it's probably the only purchase I've never regretted, and have gotten more use out of it than I could have ever hoped.

Long way of saying, get the bigger screen. As far as specs and all that goes, I got nothin. The Dell business laptop I bought back in 2008 in still churnin along just fine.
AndyPok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #14
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Just wondering...

Did you ever decide what to get?
Old 11-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #15
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligal View Post
Nobody needs a 27" screen. But the bigger, the better, IMO.

I thought the big screen was a little much, too. It isn't. I love it.

I'm waiting patiently for the day when my computer and TV screen are one in the same. Now that the computer is in the screen itself, I don't see why they can't just make it all one thing.
Agreed!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: