Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 07:44 AM   #16
ge0rgette2
DIS Veteran

We've traveled further in winter months, drove from NY to Orlando 2 years ago over Christmas, hit a major snow storm, was our choice to leave in the snowstorm, it was a record high one too! and just stopped over in a hotel. Which we normally do anyways, but we had too this time.

We don't mind traveling at all over winter months.

I'd rather drive than fly in winter storms

NYC to Bermuda ~ Norwegian Breakaway ~ May 2013

NYC Inaugural Disney Cruise to Bahamas ~ May 2012 ~ Disney Magic

NYC to Bermuda ~ May 2011 on NCL Gem

ge0rgette2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:48 AM   #17
kt_mom
DIS Veteran

We stayed in National Harbor for our anniversary a couple years ago. We had lunch at Ketchup which was pretty good. I had the best grilled cheese sandwich I've ever had and they had the best sweet potato fries. Then we had dinner at Bond 45 the Italian steakhouse and it was wonderful. We stayed at the Hyatt which is right near the Gaylord and everything was easily walkable. We checked out the shops and tasted some wines at the wine bar down the street. It was a fun weekend.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2012, 09:26 AM   #18
wvjules
DIS Veteran

There are a bunch of places to eat IN the hotel. We went to see the decorations a few years ago and had dinner in the hotel. I forget which restaurant but we got free cotton candy for dessert.

I read 36 of 25 in the 2013 DIS Book Challenge
Killing Jesus * Things We Set on Fire * 12 Years a Slave * A Home for Christmas * Heart Shaped Box * Abducted * Beautiful Ruins * When I Found You * John * Entwined in You * Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children * Losing Hope * Zoo * A Moveable Feast * The Paris Wife * The Light Between Oceans * Inferno * We Need to Talk About Kevin * Under the Dome * Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) * Shopaholic Ties the Knot (Shopaholic, #3) * Shopaholic Takes Manhattan (Shopaholic, #2) * Confessions of a Shopaholic (Shopaholic, #1) * Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) * One Second After * Into the Darkest Corner * Before I Go To Sleep * Reflected in You (Crossfire, #2) * The Perks of Being a Wallflower * Bared to You (Crossfire, #1) * Defending Jacob * Hopeless (Hopeless, #1) * Rush Home Road * On the Island * The Fault in Our Stars * The Glass Castle

wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:26 AM   #19
ge0rgette2
DIS Veteran

I actually heard the restaurants were very expensive and not very tasty.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #20
ge0rgette2
DIS Veteran

Anyone else --- stay at the Gaylord drive to Alexandria for meals?

Old 11-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #21
mom2boys
Horseshoe Mesa - 3 miles, 31 switchbacks & 2500 vertical feet down and ALL that way back UP to the rim!
I always wondered why, of all the animals on earth, they would pick a hippo

I grew up near National Harbor. My brother still lives in the old neighborhood and owns his own business not too far from National Harbor. You are safe at National Harbor. It is a bit removed from the local community and it has on-site security.
You will have to drive to any restaurants not within National Harbor. I would not recommend that area of PG County. My brother had his car jacked from a gas station. A friend was robbed leaving the bar he owned. (Last laugh was on him - he gave the robbers the brown bag with his uneaten lunch in it instead of the one with the night's deposit.)

If you leave National Harbor, I strongly recommend you cross the Potomac and go into Virginia. Old Town Alexandria is a great suggestion. It is pedestrian friendly and has numerous bars, restaurants & shops within a few blocks.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:13 AM   #22
ge0rgette2
DIS Veteran

THANKS!!!

at brown bagged lunch!

Old 11-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #23
ge0rgette2
DIS Veteran

Restaurant suggestions in Alexandria

Booked 2 nights at the Gaylord for the ICE show --- any suggestions for restaurants in Alexandria area.

Anyone staying at the Gaylord, do they have a space to bring in food, ex/breakfast foods, etc... Trying to save on costs for meals, we don't mind bringing in food to eat..

Thanks!

Old 11-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #24
ge0rgette2
DIS Veteran

Anyone see coupons yet for the ICE Shrek show??

Rooms have a microwave?

Trying to plan reasonable restaurant ideas.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #25
mrsksmithvt
Mouseketeer

I stayed at the Gaylord this August. Coffee in the Hotel was pricey (4.00), but there is a grocery store (Potomac Gourmet Market) not far with pastries and coffee much more reasonable. There is a coffeemaker in the room. I thought the area was very quaint. I ate at Ketchup, Cadillac Grill, and Rosa Mexicano. I did some great shopping, and felt very safe walking around both early morning and later in the evening.

Have you looked at nationalharbor.com for more ideas?

I bought breakfast items at the Potomac Gourmet Market (great wine and beer selection). CVS also has half and half milk and some groceries. The hotel is beautiful.
mrsksmithvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #26
ge0rgette2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsksmithvt View Post
I stayed at the Gaylord this August. Coffee in the Hotel was pricey (4.00), but there is a grocery store (Potomac Gourmet Market) not far with pastries and coffee much more reasonable. There is a coffeemaker in the room. I thought the area was very quaint. I ate at Ketchup, Cadillac Grill, and Rosa Mexicano. I did some great shopping, and felt very safe walking around both early morning and later in the evening.

Have you looked at nationalharbor.com for more ideas?

I bought breakfast items at the Potomac Gourmet Market (great wine and beer selection). CVS also has half and half milk and some groceries. The hotel is beautiful.
Coffee maker in room then I'm bringing my DnD coffee! LOL

I heard Ketchup is a good meal, what did you think?

What's Cadillac Grill ... Rosa Mexicano won't work for us -- 3 of us don't eat Mexican or any type of Spanish cuisine, my husband would though...

I will look at nationalharbor.com thanks!

CVS within walking distance, rather just park and walk if you know what I mean, as long as I'm paying $25.00 per night to park

Old 11-25-2012, 05:57 AM   #27
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ge0rgette2 View Post
Coffee maker in room then I'm bringing my DnD coffee! LOL

I heard Ketchup is a good meal, what did you think?

What's Cadillac Grill ... Rosa Mexicano won't work for us -- 3 of us don't eat Mexican or any type of Spanish cuisine, my husband would though...

I will look at nationalharbor.com thanks!

CVS within walking distance, rather just park and walk if you know what I mean, as long as I'm paying $25.00 per night to park
My friend recently ate at Cadillac Grill. She wasn't overly impressed. I don't know what type of food it is--I'm sure their website will tell you all you need to know.

I saw on another thread that you are a "pizza and burgers" family. There is an Elevation Burger place there. I've heard good things about the place (it is a chain) but have yet to visit one.

Old Town Alexandria is nice and quaint and a good place to visit. There's lots of little non-chain restaurants there that I haven't been to in years so I won't /can't comment on them but maybe not worth worrying about since you aren't into the frou-frou stuff--although there is plenty of casual dining there. It's still worth a trip to walk around.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #28
jesszac610
mickfmly
Finely dressed in Kitchen Curtain Couture

Ketchup was a very fun place to eat, food was good, little pricey but yes National Harbor is very touristy, so it is to be expected. We went to Old Town Alexandria, and they have a Bertucci's there, very good food and you can call and pick up too! They do have a small grocery store, again abit pricey but we found food staples right at CVS. I hope you enjoy your stay there!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #29
ge0rgette2
DIS Veteran

More suggestions please...

Okay --- dilemma time!

Need some more suggestions pretty please!

I booked 12/24 thru 12/26 at the Gaylord National... 2nights to see Shrek and the ICE Show..

Now my husband tells me he'd rather leave on 12/23, as driving on Christmas Eve might be a nightmare...

So, I checked with reservations and the extra night would be 161.00 plus taxes plus the resort fee, plus parking.. being a huge amount of money just to avoid the traffic. I have the reservation for $99.00 per night x2, plus resort fee of $15.00 x2 and then parking $26.00 x2...to add another $220.00 at least for that extra night is erking me
With that said, my husband suggested that we spend a night in VA and then move the next day, another hassle if you ask me!

I'd rather stay in one place and not unpack to just pack again

So.. Should I bite the bullet and stay Gaylord or maybe find something in Alexandria... then head over to the Gaylord on Christmas Day to see the ICE show and Shrek ...

What do you think?
I need to make a decision pretty quick so I know what I'm doing )

Suggestions?

Old 12-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #30
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ge0rgette2 View Post
Okay --- dilemma time!

Need some more suggestions pretty please!

I booked 12/24 thru 12/26 at the Gaylord National... 2nights to see Shrek and the ICE Show..

Now my husband tells me he'd rather leave on 12/23, as driving on Christmas Eve might be a nightmare...

So, I checked with reservations and the extra night would be 161.00 plus taxes plus the resort fee, plus parking.. being a huge amount of money just to avoid the traffic. I have the reservation for $99.00 per night x2, plus resort fee of $15.00 x2 and then parking $26.00 x2...to add another $220.00 at least for that extra night is erking me
With that said, my husband suggested that we spend a night in VA and then move the next day, another hassle if you ask me!

I'd rather stay in one place and not unpack to just pack again

So.. Should I bite the bullet and stay Gaylord or maybe find something in Alexandria... then head over to the Gaylord on Christmas Day to see the ICE show and Shrek ...

What do you think?
I need to make a decision pretty quick so I know what I'm doing )

Suggestions?
Unless you are on a stringent budget, I'd probably just pay the extra at the Gaylord. If you are thinking you'd get a room in Old Town Alexandria for a lot cheaper than that, you'd probably be wrong (unless you could find some special). You might not enjoy the parts of Alexandria that have "cheap" hotel rates.

That said, you might find a decent hotel right in Washington DC and that might be cool for a night. I've heard that between Christmas and New Years there are quite the great rates for hotels (Congress, staffers go home and there's no business going on in Washington). You might try to Priceline something for the night.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: