Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
RitaZ.
Move on don't hesitate
Breakout

Nurse that answered prank call about Kate Middleton found dead

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/07/world/...html?hpt=hp_t1

Poor woman.
RitaZ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
lynxstch
Love that Figment!
Turkey, Clay, and my favorite all time christmas song..all on the same day..it doesn't get any better!
Learned the hard way not to store meltables in the oven

I just heard about that..seems very odd to me..and also very sad
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
Hillbeans
If you're bored, please read a book or watch TV...TFs are scared of eyebrowless people
Pulled an "Agony of Defeat" at the mall
"I told them that I liked Michael Bolton!"

What a horrible development. She was probably so distressed, I know I'd be very upset if a mistake I had made was Global news however nothing is worth taking your own life over.
1977 - 1st Trip, 1982, 2nd Trip & EPCOT, 2003 - AKL, 2004 2 trips - Marriott World and POFQ, July 2005 - Grand Gathering - Emerald Isle - Coronado, Beach Club Villas, Dolphin - Mar/Apr 2007 - Mom's meet June '08, Grand Gathering # 2 - July '08 - Bought DVC July '08- First DVC trip to BWV June '09 - AKV Jambo Poly 2010, BCV June 2011, Disney Fantasy Eastern Cruise 11/2012, Disney Magic 11/2/14
Hillbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

I'm just waiting for the nutjob conspiracy people to claim the royal family did it.

If she killed herself over a prank phone call it was a bit of an overreaction. The story will be gone in a week when something else comes along.

I read it was the first person heard on the tape, the one who put the call through to the floor, not the nurse that actually talked to the "queen" about Kate's condition. The news could be wrong of course, they are more times than not.

Last edited by FireDancer; 12-07-2012 at 11:04 AM.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
FlyingDumbo
DIS Veteran

I think she was getting a LOT of negative attention. I hope it was not suicide. But the media frenzy has really gotten way out of hand.
FlyingDumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

This is just so terrible. I have to wonder if those DJ's will be fired now as well.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
I'm just waiting for the nutjob conspiracy people to claim the royal family did it.

If she killed herself over a prank phone call it was a bit of an overreaction.
Wow. That's pretty cold.

Everyone reacts differently to things. Who knows, this poor woman may not have been able to let things like this roll off her, like maybe you can.

Rightly or wrongly, she probably felt she not only let the Royal Family down, but herself, her colleagues, the hospital, and everyone was laughing at her.

I'd like to hear what those pranksters are saying now . . .

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

That radio station should be very proud of themselves...disgusting what they did and now a woman is dead...very sad!
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
This is just so terrible. I have to wonder if those DJ's will be fired now as well.
I hope not. Apparently the prank call was not aired live and the station's attorneys went through it before it was aired to make sure no laws were broken. Here it would not have been allowed to air as FCC rules make prank phone calls a finable offense (Section 73.1206). Keep that in mind when listening to those crappy morning shows that pretend to do them.

Regardless, the DJs didn't make anyone kill themselves. It was a total overreaction on the nurse's part. A permanent solution to a temporary problem.

ETA: Did anyone listen to that call? Only an idiot would have thought that was the queen calling. A tiny bit of critical thinking would have nipped the whole thing in the bud.

Last edited by FireDancer; 12-07-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
lizabu
DIS Veteran

I heard about this and it's just awful. She shouldn't have felt bad. It was an innocent mistake. They probably don't have royalty stay with them every day. I hope the Royal family make some kind of public statement to her family to let the family know they are not upset with her.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #11
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
I hope not. Apparently the prank call was not aired live and the station's attorneys went through it before it was aired to make sure no laws were broken. Here it would not have been allowed to air as FCC rules make prank phone calls a finable offense (Section 73.1206). Keep that in mind when listening to those crappy morning shows that pretend to do them.

Regardless, the DJs didn't make anyone kill themselves. It was a total overreaction on the nurse's part. A permanent solution to a temporary problem.

ETA: Did anyone listen to that call? Only an idiot would have thought that was the queen calling. A tiny bit of critical thinking would have nipped the whole thing in the bud.
People have been fired for far less. Might make others think twice about prank calls, live or otherwise.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #12
PlutosFriend
Spoke too soon
The little ones are sometimes cuter
It must be true!

The entire thing seemed strange to me. I work at a hospital and if there is any kind of celebrity or someone from a local news story in our care, we are not allowed to give out any information over a telephone. They usually have a specific employee that handles media calls and gives statements. Very sad that the nurse took her own life. I am wondering if the hospital came down very hard on her, possibly firing her?
PlutosFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #13
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

Quote:

Pretty low, calling her an "idiot" now.

I see that empathy is not exactly your strong suit.

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #14
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutosFriend View Post
The entire thing seemed strange to me. I work at a hospital and if there is any kind of celebrity or someone from a local news story in our care, we are not allowed to give out any information over a telephone. They usually have a specific employee that handles media calls and gives statements. Very sad that the nurse took her own life. I am wondering if the hospital came down very hard on her, possibly firing her?
This is what I'm wondering.
It's very sad. We don't know her situation and what life pressures she was having besides the prank. I feel sympathy for anyone who feels sad enough to take this step.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #15
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in IA View Post
Pretty low, calling her an "idiot" now.

I see that empathy is not exactly your strong suit.
I thought that the first time I heard the call, before she killed herself. I'm not going to change my opinion of it now because she decided to kill herself.

Did you listen to the call? No way anyone reasonably thinks that is the voice of an 86 year old woman. Further, everyone raise your hand if you think that the queen of England is calling any hospital herself to check on her daughter-in-law. No hands up? Exactly.

Last edited by FireDancer; 12-07-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: