Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2014, 09:33 AM   #91
mickeyboat
Nothing like the cream and chocolate combination
Thank you for omitting the footwear today
Moons are a sign of intelligence and beauty

dispor - DD13 is playing in NH, DD14 is playing in VT. We live right on the state border.

GeoffM - how cool! Hockey parents are some of the best people I know, and it is nice to know that even pro players are great hockey parents, too.

Our weekend tournaments were eventful. DD14's team did advance to the state championship game which will be in March. They did have to play an extra game to get there, and they won in OT. They are having a hard time scoring right now for some reason, and really need to step it up if they think they are going to win states.

DD13's team made it to the semis where they faced the #1 seed, undefeated team who had easily beaten them twice during the regular season. I don't know what got into our team, but they played like I had never seen them play before. They were amazing. The game went into quadruple OT tied at 2, and we lost on a breakaway. It was heart-breaking, and I am not sure the team will ever get over it. But we are all so proud of them.

We have one more tournament and one more game to go, and then the season will be over. There is a short "Spring Fling" program for a couple of weeks after the season which the kids are thinking about doing before Spring try-outs in April. DD14 will move on to her high school team. We are undecided about DD13 - whether she will play U14, for the high school, or some combination of the two. There is a step-up day at the high school on Friday for 7th and 8th graders to see what a high school practice is like, and to meet the current high school players. That may help DD13 decide. I am so looking forward to practices right after school, equipment storage at the school, not paying the huge fees to play, and not having to travel all over creation for games.

Happy hockey to all!

So couldnít we all come to the conclusion that itís not the PLACE that counts, itís the people who contribute to it? - Delswife
mickeyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:37 AM   #92
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_M View Post
This weekend, my son and I had one of those magical moments that sometimes happens in youth hockey. His team participated in a travel tournament in Cleveland. It's often said that later in life kids don't remember the results of games or tournaments as much as the fun they had with their team off the ice and in the hotels. Well, this weekend we found out that this guy, a team coach in another age group, was in the room diagonal to us from our hotel room (seen posing with my son): Look familiar? (Hint: Look at my long-time signature!) Here's the full story: Sunday morning we got word that Tomas Holmstrom was downstairs in the lobby of the hotel. We weren't fully sure why he was there, but we walked down and confirmed the reports were correct. He was talking to a couple of people and we didn't want to interrupt him. We later heard he was staying at the hotel with one of the other teams and his room was on our floor near the elevator. Our room was right across from the elevator! I looked and saw a cut out of a jersey with "Holmstrom" on it on the door diagonal to our room. A while later, we had our room door cracked and my son, a teammate, and his dad and I were watching Olympic hockey on TV and we were talking about Tomas' career and the fact that he won a gold metal in 2006 with Sweden. At this point there was a knock on the door. We opened it, expecting it to be one of the boys' teammates or another parent, but to our amazement it was Holmstrom himself! I think he overheard us talking about him as he and his group waited for the elevator right outside our room. He said "hello" and exchanged news of how the tournament was going for each team. The elevator then arrived and he departed. The photo above was taken later in the day. Each team staying at the hotel was given a conference room as a social gathering spot. We heard that Holmstrom was in his team's room with a couple of other adults, with the door open, and was more than happy to sign kids' sticks and give other autographs, chat, or pose for photos. We asked if we could come in and "bother" him for a moment... and Tomas waved us in. He was extremely accommodating with the kids at the hotel. He didn't shy away from people and ate the buffet breakfasts with everyone else there with the tournament. It was an awesome experience. The fact that my son's team went 1-3 for the tournament will be the last thing either of us remember from this weekend in Cleveland! It's not often that you're in another state and discover that your long-time favorite (retired) NHL player is staying in the room across the hall from you... and he's more than happy to be enjoy the attention from others!
That is so AWESOME!!!! What a thrill for both you and your son.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
February 2014*December 2013*October2013 F&W *September 2013*July 2013-Our condo.*April 2013- Our condo!!*April 2012- Sheraton Vistana*August 2011-Poly & HRH/CL Mom's 40th B-Day*November 2010- Bonnet Creek* August 2010-BC/CL & HRH/CL Mom's B-Day trip* April 2009- Orange Lake Resort* August 2008- GF/CL (Anniversary trip kid free)*April 2008- Orange Lake Resort* June 2007- Orange Lake Resort(2DS b-day trip)* April 2005- Orange Lake Resort* May 1995- CBR (honeymoon)* April 1988 off property* July 1978 off property
ddluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2014, 10:38 AM   #93
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispor View Post
Geoff, that is so cool. He sounds like a class act! A little off-topic, but I was at a Target in Traverse City this weekend and saw that they had a green t-shirt with the Wayne Gretzky quote "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." St. Patrick's Day is coming up.... Just thought I'd mention it to all you hockey moms and dads.
I am looking for that shirt!!!! Thanks

February 2014*December 2013*October2013 F&W *September 2013*July 2013-Our condo.*April 2013- Our condo!!*April 2012- Sheraton Vistana*August 2011-Poly & HRH/CL Mom's 40th B-Day*November 2010- Bonnet Creek* August 2010-BC/CL & HRH/CL Mom's B-Day trip* April 2009- Orange Lake Resort* August 2008- GF/CL (Anniversary trip kid free)*April 2008- Orange Lake Resort* June 2007- Orange Lake Resort(2DS b-day trip)* April 2005- Orange Lake Resort* May 1995- CBR (honeymoon)* April 1988 off property* July 1978 off property
Old 02-18-2014, 07:15 PM   #94
dispor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyboat View Post
dispor - DD13 is playing in NH, DD14 is playing in VT. We live right on the state border.

GeoffM - how cool! Hockey parents are some of the best people I know, and it is nice to know that even pro players are great hockey parents, too.

Our weekend tournaments were eventful. DD14's team did advance to the state championship game which will be in March. They did have to play an extra game to get there, and they won in OT. They are having a hard time scoring right now for some reason, and really need to step it up if they think they are going to win states.

DD13's team made it to the semis where they faced the #1 seed, undefeated team who had easily beaten them twice during the regular season. I don't know what got into our team, but they played like I had never seen them play before. They were amazing. The game went into quadruple OT tied at 2, and we lost on a breakaway. It was heart-breaking, and I am not sure the team will ever get over it. But we are all so proud of them.

We have one more tournament and one more game to go, and then the season will be over. There is a short "Spring Fling" program for a couple of weeks after the season which the kids are thinking about doing before Spring try-outs in April. DD14 will move on to her high school team. We are undecided about DD13 - whether she will play U14, for the high school, or some combination of the two. There is a step-up day at the high school on Friday for 7th and 8th graders to see what a high school practice is like, and to meet the current high school players. That may help DD13 decide. I am so looking forward to practices right after school, equipment storage at the school, not paying the huge fees to play, and not having to travel all over creation for games.

Happy hockey to all!
Oh, then we don't play against each other. DD14 mainly plays in tournaments and showcases in Michigan. Had one in Erie and I think one in Pittsburgh as well. Will be going to Mid-Ams in March.

I thought if they played for a high school team, then they couldn't be rostered on another team. I thought it was a high school sports rule...?? Anybody know?
dispor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:15 PM   #95
dispor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddluvsdisney View Post
I am looking for that shirt!!!! Thanks

Meant to mention that it was on the boys' department.
dispor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:22 PM   #96
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispor View Post
Meant to mention that it was on the boys' department.
I did look for the shirt, but didn't see it
I'm sure they only distribute them to certain areas.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #97
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

Hockey season again!!! Whoot whoot!!!
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:47 AM   #98
mickeyboat
Nothing like the cream and chocolate combination
Thank you for omitting the footwear today
Moons are a sign of intelligence and beauty

Hope everyone had a good summer. We did but we are all looking forward to this year's hockey season.

DD14 is going to dual-roster on our local association's U16 team and our high school team. She did a preseason clinic and started practicing with the U16 team last week. They played two games on Sunday and lost badly in both games. They played a regional, select, year-round team, so we didn't expect much, but at least we can see what we need to work on.

The high school team does not begin until November, and DD15 will play on that team as well. I am not sure that dual-rostering will work for DD14, but I told her I would give her a chance to prove to me that she can do it.

Our high school team is not very good, but I think the girls will have a lot of fun repping their school. They are not looking for Division I college scholarships - they just want to enjoy hockey. And I hope that lasts a lifetime for them.

Happy hockey season!

So couldnít we all come to the conclusion that itís not the PLACE that counts, itís the people who contribute to it? - Delswife
mickeyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #99
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

My son is Squirt level and we are playing for Tiering right now. We had games Saturday and Sunday and lost both. The kids won all their games last season in Tiering and lost all season long. They did win in the tournament games though. Maybe they will do better in regular season this year. Always a positive right?
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #100
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HppyCamprs View Post
Hockey season again!!! Whoot whoot!!!

Old 10-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #101
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

My 1st year bantam DS13 is playing for 2 teams this year. Crazy I know!! One team is priority and the other is just to play more games and get more experience for H.S. Next year. He's a little off w first year checking. He's nervous bc he's really small for his age, but he can skate so fast. DH tells him to just skate he can probably avoid a lot of checks.
It's been a good season so far. One team is undefeated and the other is pretty even.
We are going to practice tonight, tomorrow, and a game Wednesday. He skates like 5x a week.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #102
Aneille
I am still looking for mafia members
And why don't boys play ringette?

Quote:
My 1st year bantam DS13 is playing for 2 teams this year. Crazy I know!! One team is priority and the other is just to play more games and get more experience for H.S. Next year. He's a little off w first year checking. He's nervous bc he's really small for his age, but he can skate so fast. DH tells him to just skate he can probably avoid a lot of checks.
It's been a good season so far. One team is undefeated and the other is pretty even.
We are going to practice tonight, tomorrow, and a game Wednesday. He skates like 5x a week.

I tried to send your a PM but your box is full. My daughter is still playing with a boys club team and is also a Bantam Minor. Was wondering if they will play each other. Which league/team is your son playing for? PM me if you don't want to share on the public forum.

I remember they almost played each other in a town game when they were Peewee's but were in different divisions of the same league. She doesn't play for her town anymore. She stopped playing after her Peewee Minor year.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:46 PM   #103
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneille View Post
I tried to send your a PM but your box is full. My daughter is still playing with a boys club team and is also a Bantam Minor. Was wondering if they will play each other. Which league/team is your son playing for? PM me if you don't want to share on the public forum. I remember they almost played each other in a town game when they were Peewee's but were in different divisions of the same league. She doesn't play for her town anymore. She stopped playing after her Peewee Minor year.
I tried to send you a PM the other day, but not sure if it sent

Old 10-09-2014, 10:45 PM   #104
Aneille
I am still looking for mafia members
And why don't boys play ringette?

Quote:
I tried to send you a PM the other day, but not sure if it sent

I didn't get a PM and I checked and I do have some space left for messages.

I tried to PM you again but your box still needs to be cleared of messages because your storage is full.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:01 PM   #105
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneille View Post
I didn't get a PM and I checked and I do have some space left for messages. I tried to PM you again but your box still needs to be cleared of messages because your storage is full.
I know it's full...sorry. We are in Disney right now. I'll clear it and send you another next week.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: