Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
wdisneyk
Earning My Ears

Passport on excursions

Do you take your passport with you or a photocopy? We got them in case of a weird circumstance that we needed to get home from the islands, but I also have read that a copy would be sufficient.
wdisneyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
2CME911
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdisneyk View Post
Do you take your passport with you or a photocopy? We got them in case of a weird circumstance that we needed to get home from the islands, but I also have read that a copy would be sufficient.
Oh boy, here we go.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
A copy may help you get a replacement passport faster. In that case you might as well not have one. If you have an emergency that requires you to fly home that day it might not happen without the actual passport book. The question of if you should carry it on excursions or not is for you to answer. But a copy is nothing but a piece of paper.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
neg58
DIS Veteran

A copy of a passport is really only good for one thing - getting a replacement passport if yours is lost or stollen. If you are somewhere you need a passport, you need the real thing, not a copy.

On a Disney cruise, because it starts and ends at a US port, you can either board with a passport or a certified copy of your birth certificate if you were born in the USA (all you people born outside the USA have other document requirements).

To get on and off the ship, you use your Key to the World card. Some people like to have their passports on them in case they need them while on shore for ID or just to have them stamped.

Of course if you have a copy of your passport while on shore and then an emergency happens, it will be easier to process a duplicate at a consulate, but a copy will not get you through customs nor will it get you onto an airplane out of the foreign country.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

In countries that do not require a passport, DCL recommends that you leave your passport on the ship and take with you the Navigator which lists the "ship's agent" in that port. This is the number you would call in an emergency. DCL will work with you/them to get your things to you in the event of an emergency. And they CAN open the safe (your stateroom host can't, but there are DCL people who can).

They do make you aware of countries where you will be required to carry your passport with you.

As others have stated, a copy is of no value except to make it easier to get a replacement in the even that the original is lost or stolen.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #6
GrumpyGoat
Disney Curmudgeon

Keep in mind the Department of Homeland Security Regulations require that you have an actual passport when returning to the US from a foreign country by air. If you are returning by sea or land, all that's required is a US Passport Card.

I obtained a passport card last year before the Wonder repositioning cruise that left from Vancouver, BC and finished in LA with a stop in Ensenada. If I had been stranded either in Canada or Mexico without my passport, I could have made my way to the land border and entered the US with the passport card.

If a port call is on an island where the only alternative to get home is air travel, then, yes, I would recommend you take your passport ashore with you.
GrumpyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:35 PM   #7
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CME911 View Post
Oh boy, here we go.
See, that was painless.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
See, that was painless.

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #9
2CME911
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
See, that was painless.
Ha ha ha haaa.
And I think a first!
Congratulations everyone!
Old 10-30-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
my2boys2disney
Mouseketeer

Why is this a hot topic? And since I am asking, if you are born in Mexico and are now a US permanent resident, does anyone know of the requirements?

my2boys2disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #11
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2boys2disney View Post
Why is this a hot topic? And since I am asking, if you are born in Mexico and are now a US permanent resident, does anyone know of the requirements?
The requirements to get off and back on in port are the same for everyone--KTTW + government issued photo ID for adults, KTTW only for minors. As to requirements for boarding the ship, I won't risk being wrong here--confirm with DCL.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #12
wdisneyk
Earning My Ears

Does the daily navigator tell you which ports require a passport?
wdisneyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #13
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Does the daily navigator tell you which ports require a passport?
None of the ports on Caribbean cruises require passports. On other cruises, it will be noted in the Navigator, announces before the shows, etc. In addition, they will insist on seeing it before allowing you OFF the ship (so you should have it to get back on.)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: