Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 02:50 AM   #16
simmons_m
Mouseketeer

Imagine this....
Honey I shrunk the audianece transformed into the ewok village.
New virtual ride that supports individual pod race experience or speeder ride through endor
At the end of illuminations, through the magic of video/projection SSE explodes a la the Death Star, and reemerges as the death star two as everyone walks out.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:51 AM   #17
Winnie the Goof
Earning My Ears

Avatar was an absolutely dreadful movie that has no place in any Disney park. I know the DAK Avatar plans were revived within the last week after coming to brink of disappearing for good, but, honestly, I hope Avatar Land never gets built.

Now, about the Lucasfilm acquisition, I would love it if this move meant there would be more Star Wars and Indiana Jones in the parks...
Winnie the Goof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:19 AM   #18
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
Cause nothing say Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow like a giant Death Star.

People flipped out over wine in the MK. Can you imagine how they will feel about walking under the Death Star?
But it would blend in so well with the Experimental Prototype Tombstones of Tomorrow (aka the tomb of the unknown tourist) in the entrance plaza.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:48 AM   #19
mdvlprof
DIS Veteran

I'm not an expert at theming, so I won't go there....

But Avatarland? - so what. no big deal.

Star Wars - YAY. That's something to get excited about!!!

MK [EPCOT under construction] 3/82, WDW 7/99, WDW/DCL 7/02, Indy DIS 9/10, PCC DCL/WDW 12/10Indy DIS 9/11 PCC DCL/WDW 12/12DAP 12/13Indy DIS 9/14PCC DCL/WDW11/14
Cruised: DCL, CCL, X, RCCL, NCL
mdvlprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:44 PM   #20
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
Cause nothing say Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow like a giant Death Star.

People flipped out over wine in the MK. Can you imagine how they will feel about walking under the Death Star?
Well SSE was originally sponsored by AT&T, so it wouldn't be the first time it's been associated with the Death Star.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie the Goof View Post
Avatar was an absolutely dreadful movie that has no place in any Disney park. I know the DAK Avatar plans were revived within the last week after coming to brink of disappearing for good, but, honestly, I hope Avatar Land never gets built.

Now, about the Lucasfilm acquisition, I would love it if this move meant there would be more Star Wars and Indiana Jones in the parks...
FWIW, the DAK Pandora section was never on the brink of disappearing. There were just a ton of rumors circulating that it was due to the lack of any sort of concept art combined with the vocal Disney Fan community wishful thinking.

Now, What I'm honestly thinking about after this announcement is how the rumors about carsland coming to DHS might have actually been triggered by some site prep/surveys being conducted for an expansion of the Star Wars presence within the park. Disney has gone on record MANY times about how Carsland wasn't coming to Florida for various reasons, (including the fact that it's designed to help the Disneyland Resort's efforts to become a destination resort and a florida clone would be counter productive in that regard.... as well as the fact Radiator Springs Racers is extremely similar to Test Track,) so it could be the work and rumors about the remaining backlot section of the park being redone could be on the money, but the logical leap made about what's going in there was flawed due to the combination of wishful thinking combined with the lack of knowledge about this deal and it's potentials.

(And honestly, what probably excites me the most about this deal.... Industrial Light and Magic. Disney is gaining a top tier in-house Visual Effects studio which could help with any number of it's upcoming and future films)
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:09 PM   #21
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

From what I understand, which isn't necessarily true, is that Avatarland was on rocky ground when Disney and Cameron couldn't quite agree on some things, but more recently they did reach an agreement, which resulted in the most recent leaks - the E-ticket and C-ticket attractions plus support (gift shops, etc.).

This is in contrast to what everyone expected when they said "land", and figured on multiple attractions, etc.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:00 PM   #22
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
From what I understand, which isn't necessarily true, is that Avatarland was on rocky ground when Disney and Cameron couldn't quite agree on some things, but more recently they did reach an agreement, which resulted in the most recent leaks - the E-ticket and C-ticket attractions plus support (gift shops, etc.).

This is in contrast to what everyone expected when they said "land", and figured on multiple attractions, etc.
The rumors of issues with seeing eye to eye have popped up a few times... and I don't entirely discount them considering both Cameron and Disney can be hardheaded and have their own ideas on how things will go. That being said, I never gave them much thought beyond just the normal clashes that can come up in negotiating and putting together a big project. (as in, nothing ever seriously indicated those clashes were serious enough to jeopardize the project).

When it comes to the most recent leaks however, I'm not sure that the single building we see plans for are the entirety of the land. It's just one structure that happens to contain a single attraction with a show-room for part of another. In comparison, it would be like seeing the plans for Beast's castle before we had anything else on New Fantasyland. From that we could've assumed we'd have a M&G that went thru a couple rooms, a restaurant, and some bathrooms. For all we know, There could be another structure planned for another attraction, or maybe a stand-alone outdoor attraction..... or even a lagoon or theater designed to finally add the end-of-day extravaganza closing to the park ala Illuminations/Wishes/Fantasmic that many people feel is missing at the park. (I still say WoC could be a great fit that wouldn't require pyrotechnic effects that could disturb the animals.).

One Show-building HVAC plan does not a Land make, but it also does not preclude more coming to flesh out the land.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #23
disneydad78
DDC #106
More important its about having some FUN!
We just LOVE its a small world!!;)

I need Avatarland, why because I want something new!
DISDADS member #106
(DD 16)(DS 12)(DS 8)(DW 32)(ME 35)
OffSite ('92) OffSite ('05) BonnetCreek ('07) BonnetCreek ('08) POR ('09) POR ('10) POR MVMCP ('11) POR MVMCP ('12) upcoming POR MNSSHP ('13)
disneydad78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #24
aspen37
Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes.

I think Avatarland could be interesting if they do it right. I would rather see Star Wars Land at DHS instead of some kind of Cars Land if rumors are true. It would be nice to have Cars Land in California and Star Wars Land in Florida. It would be a reason to go to both coasts.

Backstage Magic Tour April 2010 Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2408048
aspen37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:39 AM   #25
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspen37 View Post
I think Avatarland could be interesting if they do it right. I would rather see Star Wars Land at DHS instead of some kind of Cars Land if rumors are true. It would be nice to have Cars Land in California and Star Wars Land in Florida. It would be a reason to go to both coasts.
Interesting thought Anna.

Leads me in another direction, what would Disney do in CA? They just spent a bunch of money on the (magnificent) Cars Land in DCA. Is there room on the property (DL or DCA) for a significant new land for Star Wars? Or would it have to be more of a re-theming of an existing land (with attendant loss of existing attractions)?
Old 11-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #26
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

One thing that people keep forgetting about is DAK needs something big so they can take down Expedition Everest so they can fix the Yeti. If there is no big e ticket attraction that will draw people away from Everest you can forget about the yeti being fixed, as it's apparently not something they can fix without a t least a 6 month rehab.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #27
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYorkDisneyFan View Post
One thing that people keep forgetting about is DAK needs something big so they can take down Expedition Everest so they can fix the Yeti. If there is no big e ticket attraction that will draw people away from Everest you can forget about the yeti being fixed, as it's apparently not something they can fix without a t least a 6 month rehab.
Absolutely not forgotten. AK definitely needs another E-ticket attraction. It's whether Avatar was the answer or not.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:12 AM   #28
aspen37
Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
Interesting thought Anna.

Leads me in another direction, what would Disney do in CA? They just spent a bunch of money on the (magnificent) Cars Land in DCA. Is there room on the property (DL or DCA) for a significant new land for Star Wars? Or would it have to be more of a re-theming of an existing land (with attendant loss of existing attractions)?
They could finally build a third theme park in Anaheim. It would be mecca for all the Star Wars fans.

Here is an old report from the Orange County Register about the property where this third gate could go.
http://ocresort.ocregister.com/2009/...rk-site/14811/

Backstage Magic Tour April 2010 Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2408048
aspen37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:45 AM   #29
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

The thing I don't understand about Avatarland....well, there are many, many things I don't understand about it, but from a Disney point of view...what in the world will they sell in the gift shop? Not even trying to be funny, Disney is all about the gift shop, so I really want to know. I can't imagine alot of blue monkey people plushes flying off the shelves and I can't envision a blue reptilian Mickey being very popular, so what else is there?
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:29 AM   #30
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me View Post
The thing I don't understand about Avatarland....well, there are many, many things I don't understand about it, but from a Disney point of view...what in the world will they sell in the gift shop? Not even trying to be funny, Disney is all about the gift shop, so I really want to know. I can't imagine alot of blue monkey people plushes flying off the shelves and I can't envision a blue reptilian Mickey being very popular, so what else is there?
Actually, Duffy could only look better as a blue monkey.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: