Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Who needs AvatarLand?

My mind often makes huge leaps (sometimes in the wrong direction) and when I heard of Disney acquiring Lucas Films it immediately jumped to:

What impact will this have on the proposed AvatarLand?

Maybe none at all. Maybe replacing AvatarLand with an Ewok village? It certainly gives Disney some leverage in "managing" James Cameron.

Thoughts?
Old 10-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

I said back when they jumped in bed with Cameron, why aren't they doing more with Lucas and Star Wars? After all, the re-opening of Star Tours was made into a major event, and there is plenty of theming they could draw from - have a Cantina quick service, etc.

One limiting thing I can think of is in rides - need to come up with another E-ticket, but that doesn't just draw on what Star Tours has already been given...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
OKW Lover

Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Jumping in more directions...
  • Re-theming TomorrowLand with a Star Wars focus. Good opportunity to get rid of Stitch. Or,
  • Cameo appearances in Mission Space and Space Ship Earth of Star Wars characters.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
  • Re-theming TomorrowLand with a Star Wars focus. Good opportunity to get rid of Stitch. Or,
  • Cameo appearances in Mission Space and Space Ship Earth of Star Wars characters.
I think getting rid of the existing Stitch ride == awesomeness, although Stitch is a popular character, at least with my 12yo But even she dislikes the attraction.

I don't know about those cameos though...SSE isn't really that kind of theme, although you could probably stick it in some of the TV sets...

Hmmm...bring back a Horizons-style ride, and have it explore different worlds to live on in the Star Wars universe?

Re-theme Test Track (again) into the Correlian fighter testing facility on Coruscant?
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
DeltaDiamond001
DISaholic
I thought getting a new box of crayons and a pad of paper was cool...

The Avatar Land idea never really appealed to me. It seemed premature to base an entire area in a theme park off of a single movie, albeit a really popular one.

Now, if they turned Avatar Land in to Star Wars Land, I'd be VERY interested in experiencing it. I'm not a big Star Wars fan, but it clearly has a massive following and has been around for SO much longer. It's more deserving of a themed area, IMHO.

"If you can dream it, you can do it." ~Walt Disney
DeltaDiamond001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
AryaForQueen
.*:*.*Queen in the North*.*:*.

Quote:
My mind often makes huge leaps (sometimes in the wrong direction) and when I heard of Disney acquiring Lucas Films it immediately jumped to:

What impact will this have on the proposed AvatarLand?

Maybe none at all. Maybe replacing AvatarLand with an Ewok village? It certainly gives Disney some leverage in "managing" James Cameron.

Thoughts?
fingers crossed. If they really go through with it and make Avatar land I predict they'll be planning something new to replace it within 2 years. The fan base just isn't big/dedicated enough for the movie. Star Wars on the other hand.... incorporate that theme and you can't go wrong!

The very things that hold you down are going to lift you up
Have faith in your dreams, and someday, your rainbow will come smiling through
Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy

When the snow falls and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives.
Winter is Coming.
AryaForQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
OKW Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
I don't know about those cameos though...SSE isn't really that kind of theme, although you could probably stick it in some of the TV sets...
Maybe turn the whole SSE into a Death Star?

Isn't that Alucobond coming to the end of its life by now?

Last edited by OKW Lover; 10-30-2012 at 06:02 PM.
OKW Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Maybe turn the whole SSE into a Death Star?

Isn't that Alucobond coming to the end of its life by now?
Cause nothing say Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow like a giant Death Star.

People flipped out over wine in the MK. Can you imagine how they will feel about walking under the Death Star?
Old 10-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
Li Li
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin

Cause nothing say Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow like a giant Death Star.
Lmao!
Li Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
kbelle8995
DIS Veteran

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post

People flipped out over wine in the MK. Can you imagine how they will feel about walking under the Death Star?
I can just imagine people loudly humming the Imperial March now.

How about just for Halloween? Yes folks the Imperials have taken control of Spaceship Earth Enjoy your future. Que Evil Laughter.

Okay I have a weird sense of humor.
kbelle8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:58 PM   #11
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

I really don't think Avatar land is going anywhere at DAK needs something big so they can close Everist to fix the yeti. No Avtarland equals broken yeti.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:13 AM   #12
kaligal
DIS Veteran

My first thoughts included AvLand, too.

I was never a fan of AvLand in the AK. Not really anti-AvLand, just want it in the Studios. I happen to love the AK.

SW stuff is already set up in the Studios, so I'm sure they'll stick anything they might add in there....which still leaves the AK a possibility for stupid, stupid Avatar.

I don't really care about Star Wars, but am totally happy for the SW fans. It certainly can't hurt the Studios, either. I only saw the first Star Wars movie...the first one made, not the first of what is now a series or whatever...and i saw it in 1976 or '77...so I don't know much about most SW stuff...but I'd like to tour the Millenium Falcon.

I saw C3PO at the Smithsonian. Maybe they could buy him and get R2D2 at Disney?
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:40 AM   #13
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

I think Avatar should go in AK,I don't see the connection to put anything Star Wars over there.I know Avatar is not the most popular brand but I think they signed off on it as they needed something to compete with Potter at Universal and there's even plans for the rides that will go in it.A website even has a rumor that the Soarin style 3-D movie planned for Avatar might incorporate a motion theater where the whole theater is able to tilt at like a 75 degree angle,even if it's not my favorite movie you build a good ride I'm all for it.

I think the park that has the most potential for improvement but is seriously stuck in stall mode is DHS.I would do away with the backlot tour entirely and turn the whole area into a Carsland area with the radiator springs ride from California Adventure.Then stick the Monsters Inc indoor coaster into the Pixar area and you've transformed the whole area into what could be one of the most popular areas in any of the parks.

The third new attraction I would add to this park and with the purchase of Lucas Films today would be a Star Wars land that after looking at the property I could see fitting in to the land right behind Star Tours.There is an entrance to the park behind the Star Wars attraction but if they could build a bridge over it it would lead to a seriously nice piece of land to build on.This park is small and if they're not planning on building any new parks in the future this is the kind of addition they will have to create for their current parks.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:09 AM   #14
Angebee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbelle8995 View Post
How about just for Halloween? Yes folks the Imperials have taken control of Spaceship Earth Enjoy your future. Que Evil Laughter..
You know, with how well they can do projections onto Cinderella's Castle, it wouldn't take too much to figure out how to project the Death Star onto SSE during Star Wars Weekends or Halloween. Changing up the ride, though, that's where I'd get grumpy.

As for Avatarland -- my mind went in the same direction. I'm one of those folk who wasn't thrilled with the movie and would much rather walk around the Ewok Moon, Tattooine or Coruscant than anything Avatar (mostly the Ewok Moon). Disney should definitely do something with SW at DHS even if they don't bump off Cameron. It would fit well with the movie theme. Just as long as they don't get rid of Muppet Vision 3D. I still love getting my Gonzo and Kermit fix.

(inactive at the moment) 'No Pit Stoppo!' -- Our first TR (Feb 2013)

The Sunfinders ... 'Lady' (mom), 'Butch' (dad), me, Kit (21)

'88, '90, '94 to '98 -- offsite w/ family '09 -- ASsport & '13 -- AoA Cars '11 -- offsite at Disneyland!

Last edited by Angebee; 10-31-2012 at 02:10 AM. Reason: misspelled word
Angebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:48 AM   #15
CastawayJP
Proud to have introduced HydroFlask to the Dis

Quote:
There have been rumors that Tomorrowland in Disneyland Paris could get a Star Wars makeover.... At least in the corner where Star Tours now sits...
Past Cruises: 4/07 Wonder, 7/07 Wonder, 11/07 Wonder, 5/08 Wonder, 11/08 Magic (Western), 6/10 Wonder (5 night), 08/11 Magic (7 night Med), 2/14 Dream
CastawayJP is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: