Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
AllThingsFigment
Mouseketeer

Tell me about a disney cruise please :)

I'm not sure where to begin but I thought this forum would be a great place to start. Whats your favorite thing about a disney cruise?

We are planning a vacation with extended family members and I thought a Disney cruise would be a good option. I'm not a huge fan of cruises but I love disney and many of my family members love cruises so i thought it would be the best of both worlds. Are there a lot of characters on board? Also how does a disney cruise compare to other cruises?
AllThingsFigment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
DL1957
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThingsFigment View Post
I'm not sure where to begin but I thought this forum would be a great place to start. Whats your favorite thing about a disney cruise?

We are planning a vacation with extended family members and I thought a Disney cruise would be a good option. I'm not a huge fan of cruises but I love disney and many of my family members love cruises so i thought it would be the best of both worlds. Are there a lot of characters on board? Also how does a disney cruise compare to other cruises?
Some may disagree with me but my family refers to DCL as Disney at its finest. If you are looking for family atmosphere with no gambling other than bingo, this is a great place to cruise. We do not have any children but enjoy the DCL culture.
On the ship you will have at least the Fab 5 as well as Daisy, Captain Hook, the Princesess, Chip and Dale and Shrek.
Cannot compare to other lines because we have only sailed on DCL. We have 4 other families who have sailed on other lines but once they sailed DCL they have not done any thing else.
Copenhagen to Dover June, 2015!
Disneyland - over 100 visits
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
DL1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
pearljammer
Mouseketeer

Don't know where to begin

Before we had children, I had sailed on Carnival twice which was sort of like an adult party place. I was single at the time so it was appropriate and I had a blast.

I don't even know where to begin to explain how truly magical it is. Yes, there are characters EVERYWHERE. Even when you least expect it so you should have a camera with you at all times. They'll even stroll out by the pool. Everything from the "Going Away" party, Pirate Night to the couch being turned into a bed (it's magic honey") is something I found that doesn't match anything else. I think perhaps it reminds me of a time of innocence really. (Until of course you run into the parents who take vacation a bit far and are on vacation from "parenting" as well - but I'll not say more about that).

Just some of the things you'll see:

Disney cartoons - classics are great
Great movies playing in the theatre
The "magical" dining experiences
The theatre shows are really good
Characters everywhere
Banana soft serve ice cream
They have great bath products in the rooms
The magical portholes on The Dream and Fantasy
The kids clubs are fabulous and the system they use to page you when your kid is ready to leave is great as well.
Castaway Cay is beautiful
You've got the Detective Game on the Dream and Fantasy with "moving pictures"
Mickey Bars
fireworks
great buffet lunch
great movies/cartoons playing on the large screen by the pools

Our first experience was such that I was emotional when we had to leave. To have that experience as a family and to provide that for my child is forever inbedded in my heart. So now, it holds something magical for us. I'm sure there will be a time when we'll move on to try something else as others can be cheaper but for now, it's all DCL for us.

There's more characters than you'll know what to do with. It's just "Happy".

Great memories.

Last edited by pearljammer; 10-30-2012 at 03:33 PM.
pearljammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
chateau
DIS Veteran

You have more access to characters than at the parks (or at least, it's easier to have access, mostly). The kids clubs are great, for both the kids and the parents... kids seem to LOVE them, and therefore, so do parents (giving them free time and peace of mind). The activities are great. We started with just babies and have found there to be plenty of fun from baby years right on up. Cruises aren't for everyone (those who like large pools with plenty of swimming room). For people with an adversity to crowds, there are ways around it on DCL (book concierge and hang out where others are not permitted, schedule activities away from when most people want to do them, bypass ports and stay onboard). I like DCL as well as other cruises, for very different reasons. DCL happens to fit in with the things my kids love right now. Other cruise lines have itineraries I enjoy more. We find a happy balance. Happy you for beginning your journey into the world of cruisers!!
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
All Things Simba
Can't stop taking photographs!

[QUOTE=AllThingsFigment;46587340]I'm not sure where to begin but I thought this forum would be a great place to start. Whats your favorite thing about a disney cruise? QUOTE]

Welcome!
Good for you and your family!... You're going to LOVE it!!

I love the Fun, the Food, and the Service of a Disney cruise. I'm a kid at heart and believe that growing up is optional. The Disney characters really make the fun happen and the deck parties are a blast. Did you know that Disney Cruise Line is the only cruise line that puts off fireworks at sea?
The Pirates of the Caribbean party is not to be missed!

When you arrive on the ship they'll announce your family's name and welcome you. The atrium on each ship is just just gorgeous! (I've seen 2 of them so far) Make sure you pose for the photographers. You can buy as many or as little of them as you like.

They give you a Personal Navigator every night in your stateroom and you can start to plan your next day... (bring a highlighter) ... whether it's at sea or at a port. There are so many activities to choose from that you can't do them all! Love the adult themed shows at night and the Broadway style family shows too. We even saw a movie in 3-D on one our our Disney cruises. And the adult pool and coffee area are simply wonderful!

We thought we'd see a ton of kids on our first cruise, but they have such huge areas for them that we only really saw them at the shows and at deck parties. We even noticed a hidden passageway that the counselors used instead of the main hallways!

You can have free room service that includes Mickey ice cream bars! One night in a dining room I ordered one for my desert.

In our stateroom I leave the TV on with the channel turned to the video they have at the front of the ship. I leave that on constantly! You can see where the ship is at every moment.

And now with interactive portholes in the inside staterooms, you don't have to feel like you're chincing out getting one of those. We do prefer a balcony stateroom however, it's well worth the money. And the split baths are so wonderful!

I'm sure you'll get many, many more happy responses!!

Ahhhh.... reminiscing is just fantastic!
8/99-CSR, 1/02-CBR, 2/04-POP, 8/05-DCL Panama Canal Cruise!, 12/07-AKL & POLY for Christmas, 1/09-POFQ & DCL Eastern w/St. Croix!, 10/09 POFQ WDW for Halloween & DCL Halloween Cruise, 4/13-POP Girls trip to WDW for the Epcot F&G Festival!, 10/13-WDW for Halloween and DCL Eastern for niece's wedding on Castaway Cay! 2/14-1st trip to Disneyland!, 1/15-2nd trip to Disneyland.

All Things Simba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
PryncessLace
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL1957 View Post
On the ship you will have at least the Fab 5 as well as Daisy, Captain Hook, the Princesess, Chip and Dale and Shrek.
I don't think you see Shrek on a Disney Cruise..he has his own cruise on another cruise line.
PryncessLace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
SG101
Mouseketeer

This will be our 4th Disney Cruise - 2 with the kids (we did 2 before we had the kids), and we absolutely love it. I really can't compare DCL with other cruise lines because we only did a 3 day Mexico cruise on Royal and everything about it stunk - ship was old, rocky, food was horrible, ports were yuck, and couldn't wait to get home.

This will be our 2nd 7 day DCL and we're going on the Fantasy Western Caribbean in Feb 2013. We don't gamble and we're not big party people so we loved the Disney Shows and movies, and the service is one of a kind. Nothing compares to the ship's decor, and there are characters all the time --- more so than at Disneyland.

We're taking 30 of our friends and family with us, and I'm expecting a top notch vacation from DCL again --- they don't disappoint.
SG101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #8
2CME911
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Plenty of character access/photo ops
More than a touch of Disney class without the brand being in your face
Excellent crew/CM interactions
Excellent Kids Clubs
Much better than average staterooms
Much less than average nickel and dime(ing)
Room Service - included
Reasonably good food (wouldn't really say this is DCLs strength)
Castaway Cay - by far the best cruise line owned destination
Very good shows

Hope you have a terrific time!
Old 10-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Uhhh...Shrek does not cruise on DCL. Isn't he Universal or Dreamworks or some other company?

DCL--worse food, better entertainment than other lines we've done recently. Much more kid friendly, more to do.

The problem with DCL is that the entire place is overrun with mice and other creatures. They are everywhere! Dogs, ducks, chipmunks, mice, and even some alien thing who thinks he's Elvis.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
CrawfordMomof2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearljammer View Post
Before we had children, I had sailed on Carnival twice which was sort of like an adult party place. I was single at the time so it was appropriate and I had a blast.

I don't even know where to begin to explain how truly magical it is. Yes, there are characters EVERYWHERE. Even when you least expect it so you should have a camera with you at all times. They'll even stroll out by the pool. Everything from the "Going Away" party, Pirate Night to the couch being turned into a bed (it's magic honey") is something I found that doesn't match anything else. I think perhaps it reminds me of a time of innocence really. (Until of course you run into the parents who take vacation a bit far and are on vacation from "parenting" as well - but I'll not say more about that).

Just some of the things you'll see:

Disney cartoons - classics are great
Great movies playing in the theatre
The "magical" dining experiences
The theatre shows are really good
Characters everywhere
Banana soft serve ice cream
They have great bath products in the rooms
The magical portholes on The Dream and Fantasy
The kids clubs are fabulous and the system they use to page you when your kid is ready to leave is great as well.
Castaway Cay is beautiful
You've got the Detective Game on the Dream and Fantasy with "moving pictures"
Mickey Bars
fireworks
great buffet lunch
great movies/cartoons playing on the large screen by the pools

Our first experience was such that I was emotional when we had to leave. To have that experience as a family and to provide that for my child is forever inbedded in my heart. So now, it holds something magical for us. I'm sure there will be a time when we'll move on to try something else as others can be cheaper but for now, it's all DCL for us.

There's more characters than you'll know what to do with. It's just "Happy".

Great memories.
Thank you for taking the time to type that!

We are also planning our first cruise, and are really leaning towards Disney for some of the reasons that you mentioned. It's always great to hear from someone who has been there/done that. I can't wait for the 2014 sail dates!
CrawfordMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #11
tinker1bell
I'll never grow old
Could only make the Pep Squad
YIPPIE SKIPPIE!

I have cruised with Disney four times. Two four day, one five day and the most memorable,,,,,a two week west bound transatlantic which was the best ever. I cannot think of doing any other cruise line. It is just magical.

My BFF even cried when we had to leave after our two week cruise. We both celebrated turning 60 and everyone was just fantastic. I can't wait to cruise again.

tinker1bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:02 PM   #12
disneyfan888
DIS Veteran

A Disney cruise is a cruise like no other! It is also a vacation of a lifetime. My husband and I do not have any kids yet and on Saturday we will embark on our 6th Disney cruise, it is that fantastic! I can't wait to have children and share the magic with them. The service is top notch, the food exquisite, the atmosphere relaxing. Everything is pure bliss. No other cruise line will take care of you better than Disney. You will not regret it. Can't wait for it to be Saturday!

[

disneyfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:13 PM   #13
wickedpixie13
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I've cruised on Carnival, Princess, and Disney, and Disney is the only one I am cruising a second time. I felt like more things were included with DCL and that I wasn't getting nickel and dimed for everything (sodas are included, kids' club {other than nursery}, juice at breakfast, etc). The CMs are friendlier than what I experienced on Carnival or Princess (I might have just had bad servers on the other two lines) and they seem to enjoy what they're doing. Like it's more than just a job that they have to do, if that makes sense.

Disney's kid's clubs are better than Carnival's, and my little one had more fun on DCL than Carnival's. Our Princess cruise was an adults-only cruise, so I can't speak for their kids activities. Although DCL is geared for kids, there are still plenty of adult activities and I felt like Disney's shows and activities were of better quality than Carnival or Princess.

If I were planning on taking family members on a cruise, and there were kids involved, I'd pick Disney hands down. Yes, it's probably more expensive than another cruise line, but I think in the end, it's worth it.

Previous DCL cruises
Wonder: Alaska May 2011
Magic: Galveston November 2012

RunDisney:
Tinkerbell Half Marathon 2014
wickedpixie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:58 PM   #14
STLEdge
Mouseketeer

The best thing about a Disney cruise is that there truly is something for everyone on board. Have young kids like I do (5 and 7?) They will love going to the Oceaneer Lab and Club, love seeing the characters, love the on demand access to the entire Disney catalog in our stateroom, love the bunk beds, love the Mickey Detective Agency, etc.

But at the same time, the cruise offers lots of stuff for adults - from top notch restaurants (our meals at Remy, the French restaurant on the Fantasy and Dream rival the best meals of our lives) to the spa areas to the bars and nightclubs and tasting and mixology classes.

And there are tons of things for families to do together - from the nightly shows to seeing first-run movies to animation drawing classes to bingo to family karaoke.

And it all comes with Disney's signature brand of service. You will rarely, if ever, see a crew member frowning or find one unhelpful. And unlike other cruise lines, you will not be nickel and dimed constantly.

Yes - there is a premium for a cruise with Disney, but we've always found it well worth it. Hope those thoughts help.
STLEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:05 AM   #15
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Welcome!!!!

I'd suggest you go to the Trip Report threads. Read some trip reports, there are many that have tons of photos. That's a good place to start.

You can also go to You Tube and see many videos there! Just type in "Disney Cruise ______" whichever ship you are considering or just simply Disney Cruise.
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: