Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #31
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

I am soooo looking forward to the "Howard the Duck" ride!!!

or the Willow Ride....

of the Labyrinth ride...

Old 10-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #32
dwelty
"God Bless 'em, let 'em pee"-Roy Disney

I was thinking why now? Why is Lucas selling now?

Then it hit me, the Bush era capital gains tax cut expires on January 1, 2013. He is a smart man and is saving a bundle selling in 2012!

I have renewed respect for the guy.

dwelty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #33
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5jmh View Post
I am soooo looking forward to the "Howard the Duck" ride!!!

Aw, yeah!
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #34
Paul in CT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPok1 View Post
https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/blo...uire-lucasfilm

There's the blog entry. Being that Avengers made about 40% of the cost of Marvel at the box office alone, seems that is Disney's strategy again. Buy LucasFilm, make a few movies, and it's all paid for without even accounting for theme park/merchandise.

Savvy move Iger. Someone is thinking about his legacy.
Yes, and Lucas is thinking about his retirement - 50% in Disney stock.

Paul in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #35
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Wait, wait...evil idea brewing...

Imagine, Star Wars Weekends, except...

...it's on a Disney cruise...

I know perennial SWW celeb Ashley Eckstein hasn't been on a Disney cruise yet (sent her our pics from PCC 3.0)
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 10-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #36
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle & Ariel View Post
Seventh film coming in 2015 and 8th and 9th each two years later.
Sounds good to me!
I posted this on another thread but I believe that was always supposed to be the plan. There would be 9 episodes released in the order of 4,5,6,1,2,3,7,8,9. The second trilogy took a while so it was assumed that the last 3 would either not be made or be made after Lucas sold or died. Quite frankly I think someone other than Lucas should be making the next 3.

According some someone who knows Star Wars way more than I do the Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn is what the last 3 probably would have looked like.

I do think the Avatar-land idea will no longer be made. There are way too many rich ecosystems from Star Wars that could easily be worked into Animal Kingdom.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #37
chirurgeon
I am a delicate flower and need my sleep
I'm trying to avoid Emeldaitis

At the very least, the outlines for 7, 8, & 9 have been sitting around for the past 30 years. I swear I read an interview from many years ago that there were to be 3 trilogies. I had wondered what would happen with Lucasfilms when he went to retire. I guess we know now.

Bye bye Avatarland.

Kim
CBR 4/00, YC 12/02, ASSp 6/05, AKL/BWI 12/06, ASSP/POFQ 6/07, POFQ/AKL 12/08, PCC 1 5/09, Dolphin/POP 2.0 12/09, POFQ/BCV 04/10, PCC 2.0 12/10, POR 12/11, ABD BSM 7/12, PCC 4.0 12/12, BC 4/13, ABD BSM 7/14
chirurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #38
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
I posted this on another thread but I believe that was always supposed to be the plan. There would be 9 episodes released in the order of 4,5,6,1,2,3,7,8,9. The second trilogy took a while so it was assumed that the last 3 would either not be made or be made after Lucas sold or died. Quite frankly I think someone other than Lucas should be making the next 3.
After Star Wars: A New Hope was released and became a blockbuster, and they decide to make more, they re-released it and added the header on the opening crawl, calling it "Episode IV". When asked about it, Lucas reportedly said he had outlines for nine stories, but when it came time that he could finally make one, he decided to start with the fourth as it had the best character development. He also said that after 4, 5 and 6 he would go back to 1, 2, and 3, and then revisit 7, 8, and 9 - but he also knew that by the time he likely could do that, the original actors would probably be too old for the story.

At some point, Lucas disavowed that there were EVER plans for 7, 8 and 9, and still insists on it AFAIK. But then, Lucas disavows the existence of many things. "Star Wars Holiday Special", anyone?

Old 10-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #39
rotlex
Is it summer yet?

News flash! Spaceship Earth to be themed after Death Star for 2015 Flower and Garden!

This is AWESOME news!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
- Dr. Seuss

rotlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #40
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

I'm getting a little storm-happy, but...

Anyone know where Joss Whedon is at the moment? Why do I picture him camped outside Bob Iger's office right now with a pile of notes on how he can take the franchise over...

Added to the slate:

"Disney/Pixar's TIE Fighters"...about a pair of hapless anthropomorphized fighters stuck on the wrong side of the fight, and are so bad at their job they somehow escape every battle unscathed...

"Disney's Chewbacca and the Beast - A love story with no conditioner." (I can't take credit for that one - Peter Mayhew, the real Chewbacca, tweeted that...)

Old 10-30-2012, 06:44 PM   #41
UConnFan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwelty View Post
The deal includes 40 million shares of Disney to go to Lucas to help pay for the deal. This will get him a seat on the Board of Directors if he wants it. I agree, Avitar land is likely DEAD. THis is a much more viable property.
I really hope so. I think Star Wars Land works better than Avatar and will potentially lead to more profit. The audience is built in already with the wildly popular Star Wars Weekends. This franchise has had decades to build a fan base that reaches across generations in a way I'm not convinced Avatar will. Although Avatar is still green, and so has potential, there is really no way to know if it will continue to be popular enough to sustain a park in WDW. SW also has much more story line to work with right now. I also believe DHS needs a facelift more than AK does. Just my two cents.

July 14-21, 2014 - Port Orleans Riverside
December 6-9 2013 Disapalooza - Pop Century
May 19-26 2013 Disneymoon at Pop Century
December 17-21 2012 - Pop Century
New Years 2010/2011 - Pop Century
July 2010
April 2005 - Fort Wilderness Campground
June 2004
UConnFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #42
Halloweenqueen
Whenever Candle Lights Flicker...

Star Wars Land at DHS!!!!! Hope Avatar is dead. One attraction would be plenty, no need for an AK land!

PP....love your idea if Joss Wheaton! Maybe Peter Jackson?!
Old 10-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #43
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloweenqueen View Post
Star Wars Land at DHS!!!!! Hope Avatar is dead. One attraction would be plenty, no need for an AK land!

PP....love your idea if Joss Wheaton! Maybe Peter Jackson?!
I don't know if Jackson would work with Disney, plus he'd want to do it all in NZ.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #44
ADP
I'm a huggin' foolWon't some sweet mama come and take a chance with me

Man O' man - Disney has been on quite a spending binge lately!
ADP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #45
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
"Star Wars Holiday Special", anyone?
Got it on DVD. Bea Arthur, Starship, Art Carney, and a stoned Carrie Fisher.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: