Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #16
ash-n-brensmom
DIS Veteran

Hey!! I'm here...can't wait until my chapter of your TR!!

Old 11-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #17
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Looks like y'all had an amazing view!! Looks similar to the view we had on our first stay at WBC in 2009. It is really beautiful to watch both fireworks shows going on at the same time. Unfortunately, a fireworks view hasn't worked out for us the last couple of years, but this year we were able to work with it a bit. Excited to read more about your trip!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #18
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madzac View Post
I also have 4 kids and you have to be right?! I promised DH more downtime next trip so I will be anxious to see how that worked!
With 4 kids you have to be a planner, and patient. Having such a long trip made me not feel guilty about taking some downtime. I hate short trips where I feel like we need to get our money's worth out of the tickets, you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessNancy96 View Post
Very nice layout of the condo..

It looks very spacious!
It was really nice. Just the 2 bathrooms and separate bedrooms was worth being offsite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash-n-brensmom View Post
Hey!! I'm here...can't wait until my chapter of your TR!!
It starts with "some lady came up to us in the pool and said I know this family" and completely freaked out my mother..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
Looks like y'all had an amazing view!! Looks similar to the view we had on our first stay at WBC in 2009. It is really beautiful to watch both fireworks shows going on at the same time. Unfortunately, a fireworks view hasn't worked out for us the last couple of years, but this year we were able to work with it a bit. Excited to read more about your trip!

I think they give that view to first time visitors so they suck you into coming back

October 14th
Say "Caterpillar"

Everyone was up pretty early this morning. It's our first day in Disney! I had booked a first time ADR for us at 10:30am to give us time to sleep in, but no one listened. We headed towards the Grand Floridian and breakfast at

First we were taken for our picture. I had purchased photopass plus but hadn't had a chance to exchange the certificate for the actual photopass plus card yet. I had planned on doing it at DTD later that day. The guy taking the picture said they would take care of it for me, took the certificate, took our picture and then said they'd bring me the card. Not long after we were seated the guy showed up with our photopass plus card and our picture print out.

This was our first time at 1900 for breakfast and we really enjoyed it. The kids and my mom were impressed with the food, the chef was great about my food allergies, and the characters were great (except for Mary Poppins - she wasn't so practically perfect)

To set this picture up a little, 2 months before we left, DD was playing in the soccer goal for her biggest brothers and, the NIGHT before he leaves for college, DS19 took a shot and she stopped it.....and shattered her wrist. She spent 6 weeks in a cast, and had her cast taken of the week before we left. She went to Disney in a brace, and got a lot of attention. This is Tigger's reaction:

Now, because I'm the photographer, I don't get character attention, but Tigger came over, gave me a huge squeeze, grabbed my napkin, looked at my mom and fanned himself like hugging me and made him all verklempt or something

Pooh was next

Mary was boring. I mean, really boring.

DD is in the middle of saying "caterpillar". Alice had asked DD if she hurt her arm falling down the rabbit hole

Now, this guy needs a raise. He was amazing, and the kids couldn't break him out of character at all. He spent more time at our table than all the other characters combined.

Somehow their conversation got around to hitchhiking ghosts

Now, I'm so sad this picture turned out so blurry. I miss my old camera. DD is kinda shy and really at the cusp of that "I'm too cool to laugh at people" tweenage crap. Blech. Anyhow, blurry or not, this is my favorite picture of her on this trip I think

I don't remember what was so funny, but she laughed even after he left our table.

So, 1900 Park Fare gets a thumbs up from all of us. The only that sucks is parking out in the middle of nowhere to walk to the Grand Floridian. It was muggy outside.

Up next: I know you want to play, but we have things we HAVE to do
Old 11-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #19
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

I forgot one of the most important parts of our trip!!!

I can't believe I forgot to post the drama!!!!!

The first night when we stopped at Chattanooga, I asked DD to go through the bathroom to make sure I had packed everything. Between the 2 of us, we bot missed on VERY important thing.

My medicine container.

As we are unpacking our groceries in the condo the first night we are there, (Saturday) the hotel calls and says they found my medicine container (and DS's nightlight). They are willing to overnight it to me, at my cost plus a $10 pick up fee, but they can't do it until Monday. That's okay. It's Saturday. I should be okay without everything until Tuesday, but I probably shouldn't push it much longer. One of my meds is expensive and I have to mail order it. Plus, my doctor's office wouldn't be open to call in anything until Monday anyhow. I can make it.

I hope.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #20
Madzac
DIS Veteran

The mad hatter was our absolute favorite character interaction on our last trip! He was a hoot!
Previous trips: WDW:CBR 3/93, ASMo 5/99, POFQ 5/06, WL 5/09, windsor hills 10/12. DL: Offsite 2/07, 3/10. DCL Dream 4 night bahamas 6/13 (trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3131854)... next up Magic 7 night Western 3/2015, DL offsite 7/2016
Old 11-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #21
khertz

Sounds like a fun breakfast! It has been on my maybe list for awhile. I love when characters are SO in character, like asking if she hurt herself falling down the rabbit hole. Alice seems to be really good about that kind of stuff. She was great with DS when we met her! Bummer she hurt herself, but it's always fun to have something for the characters to have fun with on a trip.

Ooh, I hope you were okay without your meds! I always worry about leaving important things behind when moving from place to place.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
Old 11-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #22
kdka421
DIS Veteran

Joining in your trip report!

I know completely what you mean about planning...we did a lot less planning for this trip, and much of what we did plan got thrown out the window, and then at the end we had to figure out a lot of things on the spot. It was not my typical style! But it really worked well for this trip.

Looking forward to reading more
Old 11-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #23
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madzac View Post
The mad hatter was our absolute favorite character interaction on our last trip! He was a hoot!
We loved him. He was so random and went from one topic to another. He told DD had she not been late for a very important date, she may not have broken her arm

Quote:
Sounds like a fun breakfast! It has been on my maybe list for awhile.
You must go next trip. I think it's our favorite character breakfast now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdka421 View Post
I know completely what you mean about planning...we did a lot less planning for this trip, and much of what we did plan got thrown out the window, and then at the end we had to figure out a lot of things on the spot. )
I think you guys ended up having to be way more flexible than we did. Ours were just minor changes here and there, not hurricane delays, but I don't like change so what seems big to me is really pretty minor to everyone else. I'm such a baby!

October 14th
Let Mommy mark off her "To Do List" then we can play!

After breakfast we headed toward DTD for some housekeeping items:

1. Pick up YES tickets from Guest Services. Handed them the voucher, got the 8 day WDW tickets. Took all of 5 minutes. Our class wasn't until the 17th, but I wasn't sure if we would have another time to get the tickets.

2. Exchange photopass plus certificate for the card. They had done that at 1900 for us, so this was already marked off my list.

3. Babycakes. With my food allergies, I wanted donuts. That's not something allergy people can readily get, and I was drooling for baked goods. I stocked up on a dozen donuts/cupcakes to put in the freezer.

To do list completed (with much whining from the kids that they wanted to shop, but I promised we had more DTD time) The only thing that drug them away from DTD was the promise of swimming! My kids are on swim team and swim 3-5 days a week, yet all they wanted to do was SWIM? Only once we got to the pool, they decided no pool, but lazy river!

We were able to drag them out of the pool and herded everyone upstairs to nap (ha ha) change and then get ready for

Old 11-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #24
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Loving your TR so far! I'm jealous that you had 2 weeks!
Old 11-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #25
STAYC18
Mouseketeer

love it so far..can't wait for more...
Old 11-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #26
khertz

We wandered into Babycakes one night just because we hear about it all the time on the WDW Today podcast when they have Emily on, but we didn't get anything even though it all looked really good. I hope everything tasked as delicious as it looked in the cases!

I bet they were excited for MNSSHP!!
Old 11-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #27
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyciemc View Post
Loving your TR so far! I'm jealous that you had 2 weeks!
We know we are lucky to have been able to take 2 weeks. My job is very flexible. My mom's company was bought out and they are restricting the time they can take off so next trip may not work out so well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAYC18 View Post
love it so far..can't wait for more...
Thank you!

Quote:
We wandered into Babycakes one night just because we hear about it all the time on the WDW Today podcast when they have Emily on, but we didn't get anything even though it all looked really good. I hope everything tasked as delicious as it looked in the cases!
Some people really complain about Babycakes because they go in thinking it's just a regular bakery, and are upset with what they get. Gluten free baking is totally different from normal stuff and people aren't prepared for that. I have a review of the stuff I got from Babycakes in my dining report linked below if you are interested.

October 14th
MNSSHP
But I wanted to be a dummy

MNSSHP is my most favorite thing about Disney. We go twice every trip because you really can't get it all done in just one. I love the atmosphere, the costumes, the attitude of people. I'm not a total Halloween fanatic either, so it's surprising I love MNSSHP so much.

When talking about costumes I had different ideas. I wanted to be creative and stand out. 2 years ago we were the 7 dwarfs with my brother's family and we got so much attention. The kids loved it. I kept throwing out ideas for just the 4 of us (a ride from each park, an icon from each park) and got nixed each time. My favorite idea was crash test dummies, since Test Track was closed, but they all said no. Great idea, right?

My mom decided she wanted to be pirates (like the rest of the world - boring) and the kids were all for it. Pirates it was.

After a short nap, we got up and got dressed. As we were walking to the car, some guy passed us smiling and I quipped "We dress like this every day" and he laughed. Embarrassed DD to death. My calling for this day is complete.

Going through the MK gate, the lady gave us 2 huge handfuls of candy for "trick or treating". The last couple of trips we've been onsite and monorailed or bussed over, so I forgot this little touch

We parked and then took the ferry to MK

Yes, this is how baby pirates treat their Granny

After grabbing our wristbands and treat bags, we made it into MK right around 5:15. I reviewed our to do list on the ferry and knew what our first stop had to be:

Flying Carpets

This was the last day it was open before a refurb, so I wanted to make sure the kids got to ride it first thing.

Next ride had to be Jungle Cruise since it isn't open during the party. We had to sit in the very back because we were pirates and they didn't want us taking over the boat. Funny, but we couldn't hear anything over the motor noise. I mean I have no idea what the guy said. And it smelled like exhaust. Badly. DD came off the ride with a headache. Pretty disappointing.

At least I've ridden it enough to know the inside jokes to caption my pictures:

The backside of water. Ohhhhh. Ahhhhhh

I can't see them. Can you (canoe)?

And just enough time left to catch a ride on POTC

At this point it was getting close to 6:30, and I knew where we needed to be no later than that time, so we asked a CM for the line up point and were 3rd in line for Captain Jack Sparrow.

Hey, if you have to dress like a pirate, having to hang out with Jack makes it better, right?
Old 11-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #28
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Oct 14
MNSSHP
Where the heck is our captain??

Granny and the kids waiting for Jack

We watched as the line got longer and longer, congratulating myself for knowing this would happen. 2 years ago I got into line at 6 for the dwarfs (we were dressed like dwarfs.....we HAD to) There was a CM blowing bubbles for the kids and DS was popping them with his sword

At 7pm the chimes sounded and the voice came over to announce it was party time. I love that. It changes the whole tone of the park.

We waited for Jack, and waited for Jack and waited for Jack. Apparently it's fashionable for pirates to be late. Finally, close to 15 after 7, Jack finally made his appearance.

He was great with mannerisms, but he spoke so softly, none of us had any idea what he said.

That done, we made our way around, stopping at a wrist bad check point to get out of Adventureland and then another line of CMS blocking the bridge to Splash and BTMR checking wristbands. A CM at the line told DS and DD a bunch of lame pirate jokes as we walked by.

We took a quick spin on BTMR, skipping Splash for a warmer day and then headed to the dance party for a couple of quick songs, and then to the Haunted Mansion. Don't you almost have to ride it at MNNSHP?

We stopped for the only magic shot we had on our must do list for this trip, the hitchhiking ghosts. Last trip we tried but the camera wasn't working. Their was no line, but the lady rushed into position, told DS he needed to squish in or he would be cut out, then snapped a picture before telling us anything. I'm pretty unhappy with the final product, but what can you do?

I told the kids we would keep riding things until time for the fireworks, so off we went. We got a lot of attention at Peter Pan. One CM told us we couldn't ride because they didn't like pirates, another CM told us to say hi to Hook.

A quick trick or treat spot at Pinnochios to fortify the troops with candy

and that's when we realized the new Fantasyland was open!

We took a fast ride on the Little Mermaid

and then nixed anything else in favor of coming back when it was light outside and we could actually see.

[IMG][/IMG]

My mom's first ride ever. Last trip it was closed for refurb

and then on to DS's favorite. How I love photopass plus. It's so nice to get every ride photo

At this point it was time to grab a snack and a seat for the fireworks
Old 11-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #29
khertz

How fun that they kick off the party at the parking lot by giving you candy. One of the little reasons I just love Disney!

Great call getting in line early for Captain Jack! I can imagine his line gets HUGE throughout the night!!
Old 11-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #30
ash-n-brensmom
DIS Veteran

WOW!! You have been updating so much, I don't know where to begin! I want to try out 1900 for breakfast...looks great with the Mad Hatter...too bad about Mary Poppins, though.

You guys had great costumes for the party! They turned out really well....even if they aren't as unique as you wanted...they are perfect! Our Jack Sparrow was late as well...we were second in line, and I kept thinking about all the time we were wasting waiting for him!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: