Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #91
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagineer5 View Post
Oh Michael was fantastic with Paxton! Sorry about his meltdown, but how did you manage to get PP pics?!?! so jealous! There was not a PP photographer in there when we were there. The photos came out super cute too!!

It looks like you guys had such a great time! Love it!
Yes, Michael was GREAT!! It seems like all of the CMs in there are used to dealing with fidgety and scared kids though, so I think we would be happy with anyone cutting his hair.

It was so strange, there was just already a PP photographer in the shop! He had a card at each station, so he would come around to take pics, scan the card, and go to the next station. It was a really great surprise! There was not one there last year when we did his first haircut there. Hopefully this is something new they are going to have more often. It's so nice to be able to capture candid moments through a PP photographer like that so both DH and I can enjoy the moment.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
Old 11-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #92
khertz

Day 2 Part 6: Not A Pirate's Life for DS!

Before I get to your regularly scheduled TR, I just wanted to share some news we received yesterday regarding DS. I think most of you followed along with DH's and my anniversary Disneyland TR, and if you did, you might remember DS got VERY sick staying with my parents that weekend. Well, we went to the allergist yesterday, and we got out answer as to why! For the longest time, we joked that he must just be allergic to my mom's house because he always ended up sick there...coughing, gunky nose and eyes, congested, sneezing, etc. So yesterday he was scratch tested for allergies (AWFUL AWFUL experience, but glad we at least know what the problem is), and turns out he is allergic to eggs, which we had figured, but he is also allergic to CATS! Now, we have a cat ourselves and so this thought never occurred to us that he could be allergic to my mom's cat. His symptoms are usually mild here, but her cat must be more highly allergenic. In talking to my mom, it seems that is the case since my sister and I grew up with 2 cats, but when we got this one, my sister had to start locking her out of her room at night because sleeping with her made her so congested and sniffly. Of course, the room we always put him to sleep in at my mom's house is the room that cat spends about 99% of her time, so no wonder he was so miserable there!!

Luckily, since he does not seem to react much to our cat Callie, we don't need to kick her out of the house. The allergist said just not to let her sleep with him, which she has never done. We keep his door closed at night exactly to prevent her from cuddling with him already. So my mom is going to keep the cat in a different room from where she plans to let Paxton sleep when he comes to visit now, and she is getting an air purifier for his room as well. So hopefully he will now have much better experiences sleeping over at Nonni & Poppi's house!

Anyway, moving on to...

Day 2 Continued: Sunday October 21st

Most of you guessed it from my last update, we were headed to one of our favorite places to eat in MK, Columbia Harbour House! There was hardly anyone else in there yet, which is why we almost always eat really early. While DH headed into line to order the food, I took DS up the steps (that was a highlight for him, climbing those stairs!) to try to get a table in our usual spot. However, our "usual spot" is where we ate for our KTTK tour a few years ago, and it was roped off for a KTTK group! lol So we parked it instead near the middle of the upstairs dining room so we would be close to the condiment station. I was able to clean up DS's hands and grab ketchup, napkins, and utensils while he amused himself with a barnyard app on the iPad.

DH ended up getting a chicken basket and a fish basket and he and I shared both. DS got the kids nuggets (which looked disgusting, by the way, but it was one of the only times the whole trip that he actually ate well in the parks, so he definitely didn't hate them) with the yogurt (he loved this at every meal) and the grapes (he enjoyed playing with these at every meal!).

After an uneventful lunch, we decided we were ready for some swashbuckling adventure, so we headed off to Adventureland to visit Jack Sparrow and the other buccaneers at Pirates of the Caribbean.

The queue was nonexistent, so we walked right up to the loading area. However, I did make DH stop along the way for a shot of these guys.

We boarded our boat and sat DS in between us. I had my arm around him holding on tight, because he seemed a little nervous. I was pretty excited to check out the addition of the mermaids to the opening scene! They had just been added a few days before we had arrived.

Then we came to the drop...And although I held DS just a little tighter for that part, he freaked! He immediately climbed into my lap with his chest to mine and buried his head in my neck. Thankfully he was not screaming or crying hysterically, but he was obviously NOT a fan of the drop! It was kind of funny, because the next scene you come to is Barbossa shooting from the Black Pearl with the cannons, and he looked up at me and said, "Ouch!" as if he had been hit by a cannonball in the fight.

He spent the rest of the attraction with his head mostly buried in my neck although I could get him to peek up occasionally to point out a dog or a cat here and there.

I still love Pirates here, but it occurred to me as it ended that it is really SO much shorter than its DL counterpart! I guess after riding it several times over two recent DL trips, I was a little spoiled to the longer version!

So since he had been slightly traumatized by riding HM and PotC back to back, we decided it was time to venture back to Fantasyland for an old favorite from our last two trips, the Carrousel! As we got into line, DS immediately brightened and started pointing and yelling, "Horse! Horse!" Score one for mom & dad because although we were not thrilled to be spending precious park time riding the carousel, it was a guaranteed toddler pleaser. I mean, just look at this excitement as we got him on a horse & strapped him in!

Soon enough, our horses were on the move, and the camera had to quickly go away because...DS dissolved into hysterical tears!!! For some reason, he was definitely NOT a carousel fan this time around! He literally cried the entire time from the second the horse started moving until it came to a halt what felt like 8 years later. The guy on the horse next to his was so nice. He was smiling and high fiving him before the ride started because he was so amused at DS's enthusiasm, and then when it started and he lost it, the guy was tossing encouraging words DS's way.

So, scratch that score for mom & dad...in fact, I'm pretty sure by that time in DS's playbook, we were in the red!

Interestingly, I noticed that for the rest of the trip, DS had his Regal Carrousel blinders on and treated it like an ex-girlfriend at a high school reunion and avoided even glancing over towards it.

Wondering what we should do next, we headed over to Winnie the Pooh and saw a 40 minute wait. We considered heading back to Storybook Circus to see if DS was tall enough for Barnstormer, but as we were walking behind the Mad Tea Party, he knocked out in the stroller. So we changed directions and headed up through Tomorrowland towards the hub to try and do our first SotMK adventure on Main Street. DH wanted to stop in one of the shops there to check out the Vinylmations for trade, so I snapped a picture of my favorite alien (with the worst attraction known to man!).

DS snoozing away

We stopped again on the bridge to let the Move It Shake It Celebrate It parade start moving along so we would be walking through all the noise with DS.

See you another day, Tomorrowland!

Continued in next post...
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #93
khertz

Day 2 Part 7: We're Pumpin' Up the Party Now!

We walked down the path that runs parallel to Main Street up towards the Plaza to get to Main Street and began walking through the shops to get to our first SotMK portal. While DH was looking at merchandise in the store of glass items, I was drawn to these!

So adorable!

We walked through the shop and stopped in one of those side streets while the parade was passing. DH took DS as far back as he could to avoid the noise, but I decided to run up to the corner and get some pictures of the parade.

I guess I just liked this display

DH started to play his game once the parade had finished, but after a couple of portals, DS woke up. We had been wondering how he would do with stroller napping this trip and we weren't sure if we would need to take him back for a break and a nap every single day. This was the perfect day to practice since we didn't have a resort to go back to! But it turns out he maxed out at only 45 minutes in the stroller vs. 2 hours at the resort, so we did end up going back for a nap every day.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #94
khertz

Day 2 Part 8: All Aboard

After the parade and DS waking up, DH had to abandon his Main Street SotMK mission in the middle, and we kept walking through the shops. We saw the Dapper Dans come out, so I stopped to watch them perform a bit while DH went to check out the Vinyls for trade at the Art of Disney store, then we walked through the Confectionary. Smells like heaven in there!

Just love the fall decorations!!

We decided to head up the train station for a ride on the choo choo, thinking this was definitely something DS would love. Luckily, this time, we were right! I didn't think you could take the stroller on it at all, so we parked it and decided to take a full circle tour. I saw later that you can bring your stroller on folded with no problem. However, we had already seen and done a lot and it was only our first day, so we decided to enjoy a 20 minute ride around the park.

I thought this luggage was so cute, like it's a real passenger railroad!

Spotted the Avenger monorail!

More luggage!

Passing Big Thunder Mountain

As we passed through the Frontierland stop, I could see where they had relocated Woody & Jessie to their own meeting spot instead of just in the walkway between Frontierland and Adventureland. So when we got back to the Main Street station, we decided to head over there to get them to both autograph DS's book on Woody's page. We stopped on our walk through Adventureland to get an ice water from Sunshine Tree Terrace. I stopped in what looked like a shorter line, just a dad, a grandpa, and a little girl. But that was a bust because they were buying ice cream and drinks for the TWENTY PEOPLE sitting off to the side!! I felt like I was standing there forever, and the CM just kept handing them item after item. It was neverending! I kept wanting to move, but you know how you just know if you move to another line, you're going to get stuck behind someone else and those people that were in front of you before are going to finally be done JUST because you moved? Yeah, I still should have moved. MANY people came and went in the time I was standing there waiting for my chance to order a freaking ice water!

So by the time I was done there, DS was about at his breaking point. He was hot, tired, and didn't look like he would make it through waiting for a character meet, and likely would not be impressed with Woody & Jessie at this point. We abandoned that plan and went instead to the Tiki Room which was about to start its next show in just a few minutes.

After missing out on DS having a great time in the Tiki Room on our DL trip when DH took him so I could ride Indiana Jones, I had my hopes up for this time, only to be let down. DS paid attention to the show, but was not interested in clapping along or dancing. But, it was a nice break from the heat and it kept him entertained, so it was still a winner.

By that time, it was getting close to the afternoon parade, and we wanted to stay at least until it was finished, so we headed back towards Main Street.

UP NEXT: Celebrate a Dream Come True

And to all my U.S. friends, hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving!! (And if you are not a U.S. friend, I hope you have an awesome regular Thursday! )

Last edited by khertz; 11-21-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #95
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

I know the tests weren't any fun, but it's a good thing that you finally know what was wrong with Paxton. At least now you know to treat it to keep him more comfortable.

You keep making me nervous about our trip when I see how Paxton is less enthusiastic about some of the rides. I've been watching videos with DS and I'm a little bit nervous about making it through Pirates.

I think we'll be Ok with the carousel, but now I'm starting to be reluctant to count on that one...

I'm glad he at least slept a little bit in the stroller. Too bad he wouldn't stay asleep long enough to let you guys have some fun while he napped.

I know exactly what you mean about being in a line like that. I hate it when that happens. There would be nothing worse than getting out of that line only to have them finish just as you walked away. I think at that point I'd just find another CS place to get some water from.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #96
MEK
DIS Veteran

Well, now you know what's up with Master P. Poor little guy! Good thing he is not allergic to your cat. He would hate it here. I have three.

Great day, even if the little guy was melting down on rides. I guess he's at the age where a lot of things are scary and you just never know what is going to frighten him.

Parades pics and great and, again, I am impressed with your DH's ability to get such low light picture in POC. They turned out great. I must know the secret to his success.

Great update!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 11-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #97
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

I'm glad you know what was setting poor Paxton off! My brother was allergic to cats, but we didn't figure it out until he was in high school! Poor guy lived with cats all his life and we thought he just had asthma.

I'm sorry that Paxton had a difficult time with some of the rides. Everett was picky this last trip too, he wouldn't ride the carousel, and had real opinions about other rides as well. Luckily he wasn't scared, just really stubborn, but it was a similar experience. I'm glad the train and the tiki room was a big hit. I think you have hope for your next trip if Paxton was ok with the tiki effects, because lots of kids are scared of the thunder and lightning.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #98
khertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
I know the tests weren't any fun, but it's a good thing that you finally know what was wrong with Paxton. At least now you know to treat it to keep him more comfortable.

You keep making me nervous about our trip when I see how Paxton is less enthusiastic about some of the rides. I've been watching videos with DS and I'm a little bit nervous about making it through Pirates.

I think we'll be Ok with the carousel, but now I'm starting to be reluctant to count on that one...

I'm glad he at least slept a little bit in the stroller. Too bad he wouldn't stay asleep long enough to let you guys have some fun while he napped.

I know exactly what you mean about being in a line like that. I hate it when that happens. There would be nothing worse than getting out of that line only to have them finish just as you walked away. I think at that point I'd just find another CS place to get some water from.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Yes, we are so happy to finally know what was making our kiddo feel so bad! I'm hoping between the allergy meds and hopefully getting tubes soon (we go see the ENT Monday), he will stop getting sick with these ear infections all the time and start feeling better!

Sorry I am making you nervous!! I have to say, I was really surprised that with 2 trips under his belt, ANY attractions were making him nervous. He has been there, done that on pretty much everything. But I guess he is processing things more and understanding more than he did at 12 or even 18 months. Just remember, all kids are different! Hopefully you will not have any problems. Letting him watch the videos is a great idea, so things won't be such a surprise when he experiences them.

Yeah, the stroller naps were not very productive the few times we attempted them. By the time we figured out what we wanted to do and made it to that area, it seemed like he was waking up! But I do have to say, even with how short the stroller naps were, he wasn't nearly as cranky as I would have expected afterwards.

UGH! It's like, now I've invested all this time in this one line, I can't switch to another one!! And you know when you're driving behind someone really slow and you want to pass them, but other cars keep flying up behind you and getting over before you can? That's kind of how it was in this line. People kept coming up behind me and they too would get tired of waiting, but when a new line opened up, they would jump over to it before I could. So frustrating!! You're probably right, I should have just gone somewhere else, but I just couldn't make myself leave that line! Actually, that seemed to happen to me a lot on this trip. That's what I get for picking what I THINK will be the shortest line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Well, now you know what's up with Master P. Poor little guy! Good thing he is not allergic to your cat. He would hate it here. I have three.

Great day, even if the little guy was melting down on rides. I guess he's at the age where a lot of things are scary and you just never know what is going to frighten him.

Parades pics and great and, again, I am impressed with your DH's ability to get such low light picture in POC. They turned out great. I must know the secret to his success.

Great update!
Yes, we are so relieved to finally know what is wrong. I'm pretty sure my mouth dropped open in shock with the doctor said, "Well, he is allergic to eggs, and he's also allergic to cats." So my mom is taking a LOT of precautions now so that Paxton can still hopefully have sleepovers at her house without being miserable.

We were really surprised at what rides seemed to bother him, but you are right, you just never know how they are going to react at that age, even if it is something they have done several times in the past. I guess he is just more aware of his surroundings and understands things more than he did on previous trips.

I will have to remind him to reply with his camera talk. It has been busy around here this week! But I'll give him a nudge tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
I'm glad you know what was setting poor Paxton off! My brother was allergic to cats, but we didn't figure it out until he was in high school! Poor guy lived with cats all his life and we thought he just had asthma.

I'm sorry that Paxton had a difficult time with some of the rides. Everett was picky this last trip too, he wouldn't ride the carousel, and had real opinions about other rides as well. Luckily he wasn't scared, just really stubborn, but it was a similar experience. I'm glad the train and the tiki room was a big hit. I think you have hope for your next trip if Paxton was ok with the tiki effects, because lots of kids are scared of the thunder and lightning.
Yes, that's exactly what the doctor said, that sometimes it is so bad it appears to be asthma when it's really an allergy, but luckily, Paxton is not that bad at all. It has never caused him to wheeze or have any trouble breathing, just congestion, runny nose, runny eyes, and sometimes coughing or sneezing.

It's frustrating as a parent who has been to Disney so many times, because I am so used to everything that happens on the attractions that I lose sight of how some things can be scary to small kids, like the effects in the Tiki Room. I'm glad that didn't seem to bother him this time, even though other things I didn't think would frighten him did. Poor thing, he was really wary of boats the rest of the trip after that ride on Pirates! The one that had me so baffled was the carousel. He LOVED the carousel in DL and cried when we would take him off. We thought that would be the biggest hit of the day! I wonder how much of it was him being tired and probably a little overstimulated. I'll have to take him to the one in the park soon and see how he does on that one.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #99
mandas08
Mouseketeer

I'm finally all caught up and here to comment. First thanks so much for the update after days and days of stressing about hosting Thanksgiving for the first time tomorrow your TR gave me a much needed break from all the stress.

Alright now onto to your update! So glad you have solved the issue with Paxtons allergies. At least now you know and can take precautions. We have a cat I wish my son was allergic too. She is my husbands that he brought into our marriage...haha. I've never been a cat person and she just isn't the nicest cat in the world. But I suppose I'm stuck with her now lol.

Sorry Pirates didnt quite work as planned. I'm thinking we may have the same situation with DS on our trip next week (it feels so good to be able to say next week!!) He spooks pretty easy but we are going to see how he does on other things and see if we can build up to it with him.

I laughed out loud at your carousel story, really I did. My DH looked at me like what in the world??? The exgirlfriend comment was hilarious. I think it really clicked with me because I could also see Zavier doing something like that. The pics of him before it starting are just adorable though. I just love that he wouldn't look at it again...too cute!!

I love riding the train. It is so relaxing and kind of gave us time to get a game plan last trip. I can relate with the line story. I hate lines I always try to find the shortest one and then I'm too scared to risk going to any other in case I somehow end up having to wait any longer than I already have.

Thank you again for the update hopefully I will be able to catch another before we leave Tuesday. (hint hint)

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #100
khertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandas08 View Post
I'm finally all caught up and here to comment. First thanks so much for the update after days and days of stressing about hosting Thanksgiving for the first time tomorrow your TR gave me a much needed break from all the stress.

Alright now onto to your update! So glad you have solved the issue with Paxtons allergies. At least now you know and can take precautions. We have a cat I wish my son was allergic too. She is my husbands that he brought into our marriage...haha. I've never been a cat person and she just isn't the nicest cat in the world. But I suppose I'm stuck with her now lol.

Sorry Pirates didnt quite work as planned. I'm thinking we may have the same situation with DS on our trip next week (it feels so good to be able to say next week!!) He spooks pretty easy but we are going to see how he does on other things and see if we can build up to it with him.

I laughed out loud at your carousel story, really I did. My DH looked at me like what in the world??? The exgirlfriend comment was hilarious. I think it really clicked with me because I could also see Zavier doing something like that. The pics of him before it starting are just adorable though. I just love that he wouldn't look at it again...too cute!!

I love riding the train. It is so relaxing and kind of gave us time to get a game plan last trip. I can relate with the line story. I hate lines I always try to find the shortest one and then I'm too scared to risk going to any other in case I somehow end up having to wait any longer than I already have.

Thank you again for the update hopefully I will be able to catch another before we leave Tuesday. (hint hint)

Happy Thanksgiving!
I hope your first time hosting Thanksgiving went well!

Awww, well, I have always been a cat person, so I'm really glad that he does not seem to be very affected by our cat. DH and I have had her since we were dating in college, so it would be hard to get rid of her if we had to. My mom's cat is not very nice and snuggly either, and she's pretty old. Unfortunately the only person she ever bonded with was me, and I'm the only person who CAN'T take her!

I was so bummed he didn't like the carousel! Although it was kind of annoying in DL when he wanted to go on it over and over and over, it was nice having a go-to ride for when the lines were long everywhere else. He just HATED it this year! So unexpected.

I haven't been on the train in a long time, and visiting it again was nice. Helped for sure that DS loves trains SO much, so he was just in heaven. Especially when we were sitting at the Main Street station and he could see the "other train" (monorail), he REALLY loved that!

Not sure if I will be able to get back for an update before Tuesday. We have a stomach bug going around the house. But I hope you have a wonderful trip!!!
Old 11-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #101
amazingact21
Upendi

Those scratch tests are awful, but it's good that you now know what your DS is allergic to and can prevent future bad episodes at your parent's house.

Hmm, I can see how the drop in Pirates might scare a toddler, but the carasol surprised me. I guess your DS just wasn't in the ride mood on that trip.
1998 DoubleTree /2003 Offsite /2003 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2010 Shades of Green/2011 All Star Sports/2011 Disney Magic/Pop/2012 ASSp/2012 ASMo/2012 Day Trip/2013 Pop/2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Current Reports: Why, My Little Guppy Has Groupies!- A December 2013 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
Old 11-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #102
khertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post
Those scratch tests are awful, but it's good that you now know what your DS is allergic to and can prevent future bad episodes at your parent's house.

Hmm, I can see how the drop in Pirates might scare a toddler, but the carasol surprised me. I guess your DS just wasn't in the ride mood on that trip.
Yeah, even though it was awful to do at the time, I'm glad we did it and know what his triggers actually are. It makes so much sense now! And my mom is already planning to take lots of precautions so Paxton can still go sleep at her house, hopefully without being as miserable as he was in the past.

Believe me, the carousel was a surprise to us too! My parents tried to take him on it later in the trip, and he did the same thing to them (we had forgotten to warn them!), so I don't know what it was about this trip in particular, but he was definitely NOT a fan of the carousel!
Old 11-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #103
DDuck4Life
Vinylmation and Donald Duck Nut!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Your pictures from outside of the Barbershop are also great.

Please ask your DH how he got the shot of the ghosts in the dining room at the HM. I try and try but never get the camera to focus on anything. Please ask him what manual mode he is using on what he is doing with light balance and iso. I also can never get the hitch hiking ghosts. I've got be doing something wrong with the manual settings.

Great update!
I haven't forgot about you. Thanks for the kind words. Vacation is the only time I really get a chance to play with settings and try new things out. I love trying to get shots I don't have.

Most of them were taken with f/2.8, ISO 1600, 1/40-70sec.

The ride moves to much to go any lower on the shutter speed, the best you can hope for is the ride to stop somewhere where you want pictures and can play with your settings. 1600 ISO causes more noise in the shots than I would like but it was the only way I could get decent shots that you could see. 800 everything was too dark.
2011 - November - Wyndham Bonnet Creek TR 2012 - October - Wyndham Bonnet Creek TR
2013 - October - Wyndham Bonnet Creek TR 2014 - May - Wilderness Lodge - Adventures at 40"!
DL
2011 - April - Solo Day Trip, 2012 - May - Wyndham's Dolphin CoveTR, 2012 - August - Peacock Suites - Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip TR
Old 11-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #104
khertz

Day 2 Part 9: Celebrate the Dream Inside of You, a Dream That Just Came True!

Okay, it's time to wrap day 2! I feel like it's taking forever to get through this day, and it's not even day we took the most pictures, not by a long shot!

When I left off, we had just left the Enchanted Tiki Room and were headed to Main Street for the parade. We stopped in the Art store again in search of Larry Dotson, thinking we might buy a print of of his of the train station with the train out and have it personalized for DS's birthday, but after waiting around awhile while he was on break, we decided to just go get a spot for the parade.

The Emporium side of Main Street was completely packed because it was the side in the shade. There was plenty of open space on the other side, but we went down to the corner near the Confectionery and were able to get a spot right up against the rope with just a few minutes to go until the parade started. We were in the sun, but the parade is not too long, so we stuck it out.

He was happy to see the parade approaching

High-five from Woody!

Hey, there's Mouse!

Fascinated

Up close with Abu

Too bad I couldn't toss his autograph book up there for Ariel to sign...This was our only glimpse of Ariel all week!

We all really enjoyed the parade! I don't remember if I have ever seen it before, and if I did, it was a different iteration many many years ago. It was a definite first for DS, and he seemed to really enjoy seeing all the characters and having them wave to him and come up close for high fives and pats on the head. Since it was a little before 4 pm, we decided to head out of Magic Kingdom and go over to Bonnet Creek to see if our room was ready.

Last edited by khertz; 11-26-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #105
khertz

Day 2 Part 10: Bonnet Creek

We got over to Bonnet Creek in almost no time at all and went to the main building to check in. There was a lot of activity going on, there was a line at the check in desk, and DS was being a toddler, so it felt like a VERY long wait until we got up to the counter. We asked about our request for a fireworks view, but there were no units available at the time. He told us we could wait, but that it could be up to 2 hours before one was available, so we just said we'd rather take what was ready now. He did tell us about a model room they open up on the top floor of our building (Building 2) every night that we could watch them from though.

Once we had our rooms keys and parking pass, we moved the car over to the next building and started moving things inside. I did manage to get some pictures of the unit before we moved and spread out.

Coming through the door, the dining room was to the immediate left

Then the kitchen with the breakfast bar

And the living room

Moving through the living room, we come to the...

Master bedroom

Jacuzzi tub and sink/vanity part of the master bathroom

Shower/toilet part of the master bathroom (separated by a door, which made it great for taking showers and getting ready for bed at night!)

Going back to the front door, to the immediate right is the laundry area...

Second bathroom

Second bedroom

View from the balcony

We started unpacking, and in talking about what to do that evening, we made the decision to skip church that evening. It really killed me because I HATE missing Mass, and we always go on vacation, but the timing that day was just not lining up. We didn't have time to eat before hand, and with DS not getting a nap I didn't foresee him sitting quietly through Mass or being able to wait until after for dinner. Looking at my PTR, I had also wanted to go to Animal Kingdom that afternoon (Geez, ambitious much?! ) and that obviously wasn't happening. We didn't even feel like getting in the car to go get dinner! So DH ordered us a Dinner Box from Pizza Hut, which was a medium pepperoni pizza, breadsticks, and cinnasticks.

As we moved around in the kitchen, I noticed a huge puddle of water coming from the dishwasher, so we called maintenance to come check it out. The guy ended up showing up as we were eating, which was a little awkward. But the problem ended up being more extensive than he thought and needed a part he couldn't get until the next day. I didn't care really, I was just glad that after unpacking everything they weren't telling us we needed to move!

Also at some point they brought up the highchair and Pack & Play for DS to use.

Right about the time we finished eating, my parents arrived! DS was very excited to see Nonni & Poppi making an appearance. Once we had helped them get their luggage up from their car, we decided to divide up. Poppi & I went to Publix while DH and Nonni stayed back with DS to get him bathed and ready for bed.

My parents, since they were driving, had been able to bring a lot with them foodwise. My mom had gone to Sam's Club to get a huge box of assorted snack packs (Teddy Grahams, Nutter Butters, Chips Ahoy, Oreos, and Ritz Bitz), a box of Pringles snack packs, and a case of bottled waters, Cokes, and orange juice. So what we were going to get was breakfast items for everyone, and the fixings for our taco night later in the week. My dad was so funny in the aisle picking out our tortillas. We talked about soft or hard for a minute before I saw a box of 6 hard shells and 6 soft. Sounded perfect! He started worrying that wasn't going to be enough. I kept trying to tell him, DH and I would only eat 2 each, DS probably wouldn't even eat one, so that just left him and my mom to have 8 between them and my mom is not a big eater, so she would probably only have 1. I thought I had convinced him it would be plenty, but he snuck off from me later to get a couple of frozen burritos (that he ended up not even eating...Ha!). He also had to pick up something for him and my mom to get that night so he grabbed a little skillet meal for 2, and I got DS's diapers, wipes, and a couple of emergency back up toddler meals just in case.

When we went to check out, all I had with me was DH's wallet since I don't bring a purse on vacation, and my driver's license was in there with our credit cards. I took it out to pay and the guy bagging the groceries says, "Hey, I have that same wallet." I told him that probably was true because it was my husband's. The girl ringing me up obviously hadn't looked at the wallet, because she turned to the bagger when I said that and told him, "I was wondering why you'd have the same wallet as a girl!" Maybe it was a "you had to be there" moment, but it was pretty funny!

Groceries purchased, it was time to head back to Bonnet Creek. DS had gotten his bath, and I was informed that putting those stickers on his thighs during the hair cut had ended up a bad idea. They had apparently baked on in the sun all day, and were horrible to get off! Words of wisdom, no stickers on the thighs!!

The rest of the night was uneventful. I read DS some books and put him to bed in the PnP in the living room while DH and I closed ourselves in the bedroom to shower and get the park bag packed and ready for the next day! We tried watching some football, but we were both so tired we knocked right out for the night.

UP NEXT: Epcot

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: