Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #46
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

I am impressed that you were able to make it MK for rope drop! Good hussle!
Old 11-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #47
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash-n-brensmom View Post

That pic of him "growling"...I really thought he was being a good trex...only to find out he is crying!!
Too funny!

Looks like you guys had a great start to your MK day...hope it stayed that way!
He does do a very good T-Rex impression, even though he wouldn't do it for the picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgeo View Post
I just had to say Hi! because our trip has so much overlap so far! We're from WI, but our flight connected in New Orleans and were on the same plane that you were! We also stayed in Bonnet Creek for our trip, although we checked in there on Saturday AND we decided to go to DTD and Earl of Sandwich for dinner that night AND we had to park in Timbukto (as we called it!) and walked forever to get to Earl of Sandwich! We love that place though, so even with the really long line it was worth the wait!

Gina
Wow, that is too funny!! Now that I think about it, there was a family I saw at Earl that it occurred to me at the time I had seen at the airport...Maybe it was you!

Glad to have you along. I wonder if our trips overlapped anywhere else? Are you planning to do a TR for your trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyciemc View Post
I am impressed that you were able to make it MK for rope drop! Good hussle!
Several things didn't go according to plan this trip, but I was happy our MK morning was well on track for all we had to do that morning!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #48
MEK
DIS Veteran

OK, I'll admit, it took me awhile to find this TR, but I am all caught up.

Love that you took a picture of the empty count down calendar. Best feeling ever!

Ugh to puppy poop on the way to your parents. I am sure you did not plan for that.

Yeah for an uneventful flight. I hate when kids sit behind me and kick the seat, but that's just what kids do.

An red Altima? Awesome for location purposes.

Ugh to the long line at EOS, but your sandwich sounds great.

I love your villa for the first night. Can't wait to see Bonnet Creek. So glad you first day at MK is off to a great start. Really cute pictures of everyone!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 11-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #49
khertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
OK, I'll admit, it took me awhile to find this TR, but I am all caught up.

Love that you took a picture of the empty count down calendar. Best feeling ever!

Ugh to puppy poop on the way to your parents. I am sure you did not plan for that.

Yeah for an uneventful flight. I hate when kids sit behind me and kick the seat, but that's just what kids do.

An red Altima? Awesome for location purposes.

Ugh to the long line at EOS, but your sandwich sounds great.

I love your villa for the first night. Can't wait to see Bonnet Creek. So glad you first day at MK is off to a great start. Really cute pictures of everyone!
Thanks happy to see you here, I know you have been super busy lately with all these Disney trips & TRs!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
Old 11-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #50
khertz

Day 2 Part 2: Mouse!

Day 2 Continued: Sunday October 21st

When I left off, the rope drop show had just started, and DS was quickly pulled to attention to the guy up on the trains station talking (I can't remember who he said he was...the Mayor maybe?). And then the dancers came out and he started smiling a little more.

But then we heard a very distinct sound...a steam whistle!

As he noticed the characters getting off the train and waving, he became a little more excited. He loves choo choos, and apparently was still digging the characters this year.

And it was at that moment that something clicked in his little mind and he uttered one word that just brought tears to my eyes...He pointed to Mickey and said, "Mouse!" Now, I have to tell you why this is such a big deal. In the past, he just didn't call Mickey anything. He could identify all of the Fab 5 characters in the sense of saying, "Where's Mickey? Where's Minnie?" etc. and he could point them out in a picture in a book, but the only one whose name he would say was Donald, but he would really just say, "Duck" for him. So this was the first time he ever "gave Mickey a name" so to speak as in he recognized him and wanted to call him something. It was very exciting for me, even if it was only the second part of his name! I just hugged him so tight and swallowed back the tears (I get very emotional in Disney!) and said, "Yep, that's Mouse!"

The rope drop ceremony ended a little sooner than I had remembered, and soon we were making our way under the train station and getting to see the park dressed up for Halloween! We have not seen the park decorated for fall since our honeymoon in 2007, so this brought back some great memories. Not only was it our honeymoon and our first trip away by ourselves, it was also our first trip to the parks when it was decorated for any holiday!

Even though Touring Plans says now that Dumbo has Fastpass, you don't need to do the Dumbo Dash first thing in the morning, we headed there first. We wanted it to be DS's first ride of the morning as a sort of right of passage, and we also wanted to check out the new Storybook Circus area of the parks. Unfortunately, we didn't bother looking at the map while standing out there waiting for rope drop, and we had no clue which direction we were supposed to be heading in. Just take the map and look, right? Well, DS had commandeered it and wasn't giving it up, and he wasn't exactly a good navigator.

As we passed the New Fantasyland ropes, we peeked and saw signage that that were not doing dress rehearsals that day, so we were a little bummed about that. We later found out they were doing CM previews all week, so I'll save you the suspense, we never got to step foot into the FLE area. I was bummed because I wanted DS to meet Ariel (she had a page in his autograph book that we were never able to get signed), and see Enchanted Tales with Belle.

Eventually we made our way to Storybook Circus!

I loved getting to see the new Double Dumbo set up, that was a really great idea they had to keep the lines a little less severe there.

Continued in next post...
Old 11-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #51
khertz

Day 2 Part 3: A World of Fantasy

We walked through the line and had a second to peek inside the play area, which looked phenomenal! But we knew we would be stopping in there later in the trip, so we basically walked right onto the next ride cycle with maybe a 5 minute wait all together. It was this morning while we were waiting that I saw a cute little family of a small toddler girl wearing full princess getup and her two much older brothers wearing black t-shirts that said "Princess Security." I complimented them on their shirts when I saw them later by the strollers!

Finally we got on our Dumbo, and DS was all smiles and ready to go!

However, as we found out the minute our elephant was in the air, this was the year things started making DS nervous, including flying in an elephant. He wasn't scared exactly, but the smile dropped off his face and he was grabbing my arms tight and whimpering a little. This theme continued on most rides to varying degrees of intensity. But no freak outs, and towards the end he seemed like he was enjoying it a little more.

Next up, we wanted to do Peter Pan's Flight before the line got horrendous. I got another surprise in his line when DS saw the ride vehicles, pointed to them, and announced proudly, "Pirate ship!" Definitely not that distinctly, but it was obvious to us what he was saying. After being worried about a speech delay several months ago, he has really grown his vocabulary tremendously!

The posted wait said 20 minutes and we waited a little less than that, maybe 17 or 18 minutes before we were boarding our pirate ship and taking off to Neverland. DH of course was snapping away with his new lens (no, we are not flashers either! lol). They came out pretty dark of course, but he lightened a few of them up decently.

DS seemed to really enjoy it. He was pointing to so many things as we flew over them, and a few times I heard him actually say, "Oooh!"

After that, we headed across the way to another old faithful attraction, It's a Small World. DH was thrilled. That early in the morning, it was still walk on so we got right onto a boat into the first row.

By the time we came off of that, it was nearing 10 am, and we had a 10:30 appointment for a little boy to get his curls cut off! So we started making our way towards Main Street, hoping DS would do as well for his haircut this year as he did for his first last year. Boy, were we in for a surprise!

UP NEXT: Haircuts for a Song
Old 11-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #52
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
He pointed to Mickey and said, "Mouse!"

It was very exciting for me, even if it was only the second part of his name! I just hugged him so tight and swallowed back the tears (I get very emotional in Disney!) and said, "Yep, that's Mouse!"
All I can say is......awwwwwwww!

Quote:
Even though Touring Plans says now that Dumbo has Fastpass, you don't need to do the Dumbo Dash first thing in the morning, we headed there first.
Really, that will be the weirdest thing. We've been Dumbo Dashing for 6 years, it'll be so strange to Peter Pan dash instead.

Quote:
As we passed the New Fantasyland ropes, we peeked and saw signage that that were not doing dress rehearsals that day, so we were a little bummed about that. We later found out they were doing CM previews all week, so I'll save you the suspense, we never got to step foot into the FLE area. I was bummed because I wanted DS to meet Ariel (she had a page in his autograph book that we were never able to get signed), and see Enchanted Tales with Belle.
Oh darn! I was really hoping you guys would get a chance to check it out! The Enchanted Tales with Bells sounds especially cool.

Quote:
I loved getting to see the new Double Dumbo set up, that was a really great idea they had to keep the lines a little less severe there.
I think I'm going to be a little disappointed in the move though. One of the great things about Dumbo was its location right behind the castle. While I'm sure we will continue to ride it for a few more years, once our DD outgrows it, Dumbo will definitely slide down the priority list thanks to that location off in the corner.

Keep the updates coming!

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK NEW TR
Old 11-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #53
leshunlenese
DIS Veteran

Sucks you did not get to see all of the new fantasyland! However, i hear it is great and it just means you have to go back. You now Devyn was diagnosed with a speech delay when he was 18 months. He did speech therapy weekely until he was 3 and once he turned 3 he went to preschool and has it there 2 times a week. The teachers say he is doing so well and that its just a matter of when they , "the kids" want to talk. Having him around other kids helped him too. Before he wa stuck with me all day!
1989 first visit off site + several family trips as a child | 1997 AS Sp | 2000 8th grade band trip/offsite |2004 ASM| 2007*Walt Disney College Program- Chatham Square*| 2008 AARC congress at WDW | 2009 ASMo|OCT 2010 POP..1st MNSSHP/DS 1st visit and birthday | Dec 10 POLY |May/June 11 POP |AUG 11 marriott village |Dec 2011 graduation celebration @AKV-Jambo | FEB 13 dolphin | May 13 POP |Sept 13 Yacht club | Nov 13 POFQ | May 14 Disney dream | Sept 14 Assp | OCT 15
ME(28)and DS(4)
Sept 14 TRSept14 Video

Sept 13 Disney Video
Sept 13 TR
Sept 2014 PTR

I loved the poly but Jambo house stole my heart! Dec 11 college graduation TR
My 1st TR: Who says you can't take a 1 year old to WDW. Put that boy in a stroller!Oct 2010
Old 11-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #54
Sweetpeamd
Mouseketeer

Joining in! We were at the World at the same time!!!

[COLOR="Magenta"]1977-2007 Off Property Visits [COLOR="Lime"]2008 Beach Club [COLOR="Magenta"]2009 Beach Club [COLOR="Lime"]2010 Beach Club Villas[COLOR="Magenta"] 2010 Saratoga Springs 2011 Saratoga Springs2011 BLT 2012 OKW 2012 BLT

Me DH DS12
DD10 DS8 DD6
Old 11-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #55
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

What a great start to your MK day! You're right that the Halloween decorations look very different at MK than what I saw at DL. I do like the pumpkin scarecrows at MK though!

It'll be weird for us as well not to do the Dumbo Dash. I suspect that for our January trip, our rope drop dash will be for Enchanted Tales with Belle, but I'm waiting to see what the full opening of New FL will do to the wait times for attractions both within and outside of New FL. Trying to come up with new strategies is going to be fun.

On our last trip in April, we on purpose took the path you took to get to Dumbo so that DFIL could walk through the Castle on his very first visit to MK! So your DS did a great job of navigating if you ask me

Everyone Hail To the Pumpkin Song! October 2014: TR PTR
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

Old 11-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #56
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Ugh. The picture of him pointing at the choo choo during rope drop and smiling is way too cute!
Old 11-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #57
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

Love your MK photos! That sky is amazing!

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
Old 11-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #58
khertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
All I can say is......awwwwwwww!

Really, that will be the weirdest thing. We've been Dumbo Dashing for 6 years, it'll be so strange to Peter Pan dash instead.

Oh darn! I was really hoping you guys would get a chance to check it out! The Enchanted Tales with Bells sounds especially cool.

I think I'm going to be a little disappointed in the move though. One of the great things about Dumbo was its location right behind the castle. While I'm sure we will continue to ride it for a few more years, once our DD outgrows it, Dumbo will definitely slide down the priority list thanks to that location off in the corner.

Keep the updates coming!
Yeah, the Dumbo Dash was still worth it, but definitely not necessary. Seems that since people know there is FP and 2 Dumbos, you don't need to rush there in the morning, so they were going other places. We didn't, but we could have walked right back on again where normally the line would already be building up. And although the Storybook Circus part was pretty cool looking, it was kind of shoved off in no man's land. It looks like once the FLE fully opens, it will flow a lot better but for now it really is shoved off in the corner!

I wish we could have experienced it too. Unfortunately, the week we went fell right between general public soft openings and AP previews so we didn't get to take part in either one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leshunlenese View Post
Sucks you did not get to see all of the new fantasyland! However, i hear it is great and it just means you have to go back. You now Devyn was diagnosed with a speech delay when he was 18 months. He did speech therapy weekely until he was 3 and once he turned 3 he went to preschool and has it there 2 times a week. The teachers say he is doing so well and that its just a matter of when they , "the kids" want to talk. Having him around other kids helped him too. Before he wa stuck with me all day!
I think that was exactly the problem with Paxton, he was home with me all day and didn't really "need" to talk because I just knew what he wanted and did everything for him without him needing to ask. Now that he is in daycare 5 days a week, his vocabulary has improved in leaps & bounds. He is always coming home with a new word it seems like! Hopefully you continue to make progress with Devyn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpeamd View Post
Joining in! We were at the World at the same time!!!
That's awesome! Are you planning to do a TR for your trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinFallsChurch View Post
What a great start to your MK day! You're right that the Halloween decorations look very different at MK than what I saw at DL. I do like the pumpkin scarecrows at MK though!

It'll be weird for us as well not to do the Dumbo Dash. I suspect that for our January trip, our rope drop dash will be for Enchanted Tales with Belle, but I'm waiting to see what the full opening of New FL will do to the wait times for attractions both within and outside of New FL. Trying to come up with new strategies is going to be fun.

On our last trip in April, we on purpose took the path you took to get to Dumbo so that DFIL could walk through the Castle on his very first visit to MK! So your DS did a great job of navigating if you ask me
The DL decorations are more larger than life & character oriented, which I like, but not knocking the MK ones at all, because they do a great job! I think DH got even more pics of them our early entry morning later in the trip.

I know, by the time we go next year, our old touring plan will have to go out the window since the FLE will be totally open except for the Mine Train ride. It's a little nerve wracking, but very exciting!! At least having ridden the Little Mermaid ride at DCA so many times, I know I don't need to rush to that first thing, I mostly just want to check out the queue.

We always love walking through the Castle in the morning before it is closed off for the stage shows. So I guess you are right, DS was a good little navigator after all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelley00 View Post
Ugh. The picture of him pointing at the choo choo during rope drop and smiling is way too cute!
Thank you! He was even more excited when it was finally time to ride it later on in the trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
Love your MK photos! That sky is amazing!
Thanks! The sky was cloudless that day which made for beautiful photos, but man was the sun brutal!
Old 11-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #59
RachelNinja
Sometimes I'd rather live in VMK than in real life!

How adorable that DS said "mouse" and "pirate ship"! Ahhh, Disney is definitely the place to be. I definitely would have started tearing up during the morning show.

Love the "Princess Security" thing. Very clever!

Weird and Ninja Shout Out to You (Jan '15 TR in progress) // Mr. and Mrs. Weak Sauce Go the Distance (May '12 Disneymoon TR) // Delicious Indeed! (Feb '11 TR) // Saving Dole Whip Float Money (Feb '11 PTR) // Weird and Ninja’s Pre-Disneymoon (April '10 TR) // It's Better Than Stuffed Mezzaluna with Sausage! (April '10 PTR) // A DISer's Trip of Firsts! (Feb '08 TR) // The Flat Adventures of Weird and Ninja! (Living the Life Outside of VMK)

BLOG / INSTAGRAM / TWITTER - Msg me here if you want to follow
Old 11-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #60
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

yay for early morning rides on Dumbo! I love the new storybook circus section, I think it is a lovely addition to the parks.

I'm sorry that Paxton got a little nervous on Dumbo, I was afraid that Everett would be that way this last trip, but thankfully he was OK, and the only time we had issues was when we weren't riding the ride he wanted to be on at that exact moment.

I also feel you on the whole speech delay dilemma. I was worried about Everett for a while too, but it ended up being OK. I just think that some little boys are way more interested in moving than talking at first, but eventually they catch up. What a nice moment with Mickey, its thinks like that that makes the whole trip worth it!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: