Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #346
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

It's so funny, up here I completely forgot that it was Mardi Gras, even though some bars have parties for it. My wife follows the Orthodox church calendar so that Easter is 5 weeks later. Therefore, I wasn't even paying attention that it was the start of lent until last night DD and I went out for dinner and the place was packed with people having their lenten Fish Fry. (A big Buffalo thing.) So you have this big can't miss parade, while we have...welll...nothing.

Our big celebrations here are St. Patty's Day and Dyngus Day (a Polish holiday celebrating the END of lent). Bet ya never heard of that one!

Actually you couldn't PAY me to go to New Orleans during Mardi Gras. I hate crowds and they are crowded enough on a normal weekend. We've been talking with some friends about going down sometime in the next year or two for an "adults only" weekend.

Love the floats though!

SP

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK NEW TR
Old 02-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #347
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
It's so funny, up here I completely forgot that it was Mardi Gras, even though some bars have parties for it. My wife follows the Orthodox church calendar so that Easter is 5 weeks later. Therefore, I wasn't even paying attention that it was the start of lent until last night DD and I went out for dinner and the place was packed with people having their lenten Fish Fry. (A big Buffalo thing.) So you have this big can't miss parade, while we have...welll...nothing.

Our big celebrations here are St. Patty's Day and Dyngus Day (a Polish holiday celebrating the END of lent). Bet ya never heard of that one!

Actually you couldn't PAY me to go to New Orleans during Mardi Gras. I hate crowds and they are crowded enough on a normal weekend. We've been talking with some friends about going down sometime in the next year or two for an "adults only" weekend.

Love the floats though!

SP
Ah yes, the start of Lent. I passed a crawfish place on the way to pick up DS from daycare yesterday and there was already a huge line of people waiting at the door for when they opened at 5 pm!

St. Patrick's Day has a big parade too, and the next weekend is the Irish-Italian parade that is a lot of fun. You are too right though, NEVER heard of Dyngus Day!! We just have Easter to celebrate the end of Lent!

New Orleans can be fun, but yes, it can be crowded. When we spent the weekend at the Roosevelt a couple years ago for our anniversary, there was a big college game happening, so it was pretty crowded on Bourbon St. as we were walking around in search of food. So yeah, Mardi Gras definitely brings in the crowds, but it can be done without having a ton of people around. Sunday, the crowds were only 2 deep because we were at the very start of the parade route. Saturday was quite a bit busier because we were at the end and on St. Charles. I guess we are used to it there, so it doesn't bother me as much as it would battling those same crowds in WDW!

Hopefully you can make it down for a weekend when nothing too crazy is happening and have a good time. I love my visits to NOLA now that we live further away and don't get to do it as often!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #348
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

Looks like you had a fun Mardi Gras weekend, that must have been so much fun! Paxton is too cute, he's getting so big!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 02-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #349
khertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
Looks like you had a fun Mardi Gras weekend, that must have been so much fun! Paxton is too cute, he's getting so big!
It really was a lot of fun, and Paxton cooperated so much better than I would have expected him to given the huge changes in his routine for those couple of days. Thank you! Bigger by the minute, it feels like!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
Old 02-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #350
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

It looks like you guys had so much fun! Thank you for sharing some Mardi Gras cheer with all of us far away from the action.

I never made it to NO, but when I was living in Pensacola I really enjoyed the festivities, parties and parades in Pensacola and Mobile. It really is a unique Gulf Coast experience, and one that I do miss. Dh and I were just talking about how much we would love a King Cake, but there are none to be found up here in VA.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #351
khertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
It looks like you guys had so much fun! Thank you for sharing some Mardi Gras cheer with all of us far away from the action.

I never made it to NO, but when I was living in Pensacola I really enjoyed the festivities, parties and parades in Pensacola and Mobile. It really is a unique Gulf Coast experience, and one that I do miss. Dh and I were just talking about how much we would love a King Cake, but there are none to be found up here in VA.
I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Next year, order you a king cake online! Haydel's and Randazzo's ship them! We had quite a few at work this year, but they are not real New Orleans king cakes unfortunately. There is a local donut franchise that makes them, but they are really just braided donut cakes with way too much filling. I didn't get to have any REAL king cake this year since we were going to close to the actual day...people were waiting in line for hours at Randazzo's for one!
Old 02-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #352
debrapagliasotti
DIS Veteran

Loved the Mardi Gras post! Looks so much fun
Old 02-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #353
khertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by debrapagliasotti View Post
Loved the Mardi Gras post! Looks so much fun
Yes, it was great fun! I love it more now seeing how much Paxton loves it!
Old 02-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #354
khertz

Day 7 Part 1: 'Ohana Means Family

Day 7: Friday October 26th

Ahhh, Friday morning, our sleep in morning! WRONG. We were up at 7:15 am because DS had suddenly started coughing all night long, which kept us up. Oh yes, and he was talking in his sleep. Not the best night of sleep in Disney ever, but we kept moving right along. We got everyone dressed and left Bonnet Creek at 8 am. Where were we headed?

I was pretty excited, since I had only been to the Polynesian once for Catholic mass way back when they still said Mass at Disney resorts. It didn't take too long to drive over there and find a place to park.

Avengerail!

We took our time looking around the lobby since we were a little early, snapping those pics and just enjoying the ambiance. What a BEAUTIFUL resort! It's probably my dream resort at the moment, but we will probably never stay there because how can we justify paying that much for a room per night when we can stay at Bonnet Creek for nothing?

Anyway, we headed up to the second floor to check in for our 8:50 am breakfast ADR at 'Ohana! I was REALLY excited about this meal because it was our first time eating there, and I was thrilled at the notion of having the food AND the characters coming to us instead of having to time a trip to the buffet just perfectly to not miss any characters.

We checked in and had our photo taken, but we didn't buy the package. Of course. Does anyone really? It's so expensive and not all that special of a picture! So instead we just had our own mini-photoshoot with our leis on.

I'm not sure where my parents had wandered off to that they weren't able to take a photo of the three of us together, but whatever. We settled down with our pager waiting to be called. But it wasn't just any old pager, not to DS! He was proudly pointing it at us and asking us to say, "Cheese!"

Or, you know, just banging it into the table a little.

It didn't take long before we were called and led to our table. But that was about the only thing besides the characters that went quickly. Service here was S.L.O.W. It took a long time for our server to bring us any juice and I asked her plus two other people about getting a cup of milk for DS before I actually got it. And then it took even longer for them to bring out the bread and fruit and even longer than that before we got our first breakfast platter to share! And every time the server did come by, she would run off before we could ask for anything, and she never asked if there was anything we needed. I don't know if she was just really busy or what, but it was pretty frustrating.

Nonni & Poppi

Lilo was the first character to come by, and I think she came before we were even served our main food. The interaction with her was great though, and DS seemed to really enjoy meeting her.

After that they came around with maracas for the kids, and DS got a kick out of shaking that and making some noise! If it's loud, DS is by all means interested in it.

After Lilo came Stitch! He apparently caught Poppi off guard...

Stitch signed DS's book in a hurry and ran off because they were starting the little parade around the restaurant. In fact, I'm not even sure he signed with the "approved" Stitch autograph because he was in such a rush. DS didn't seem to notice though.

After Stitch, Mickey came around!

How cute is he in his Hawaiian shirt?! And last but not least was Pluto.

What did everyone think of their first breakfast at 'Ohana? Overall, no one was really impressed. Everyone seemed to enjoy the food, but there just wasn't enough of it. We finished our whole platter and sat there for quite awhile before our server showed up and realized we needed another one. By then, we were just kind of ready for the check. The character interaction was great, I think we just got a bad server. I think another problem was the size of our group. 5 people eating off of that platter was a lot, because there were only enough biscuits for everyone to have one, not much of the eggs and potatoes to go around, etc. And DH didn't realize you could ask for more of specific items.

I did convince DH to give it another try in October though. Since it will be only 3 of us and DH now knows he can request more of a certain food, I am really hoping it will be a better experience than this past time!

Our plans for the day were to head back to Bonnet Creek and get in some pool time before DS's nap and then head to a park after. However, DH got to talking with my parents at breakfast, and I was soon outvoted...

UP NEXT: Will I Ever Get a Resort Day?

Last edited by khertz; 02-15-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #355
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Ahhhh, Poly. Looking at your pictures brings back memories. I hear ya on the price. As much as we really lovvvvved it there, I don't think we'll be going back soon mostly because there are so many other resorts we would like to try. It was pretty special and I think you should consider it for a very special vacation.

It sounds like you had a server issue at Ohana. We had such a great time when we did our breakfast there. We were also a party of five and as soon as our platter ran out of any one food item, our server popped over and refilled it for us. In fact, near the end of our meal we had to actually stop her from bring more eggs and meat! And the character interactions were our favorite. I think you're doing the right thing by giving it another shot.

Everyone Hail To the Pumpkin Song! October 2014: TR PTR
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

Old 02-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #356
khertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinFallsChurch View Post
Ahhhh, Poly. Looking at your pictures brings back memories. I hear ya on the price. As much as we really lovvvvved it there, I don't think we'll be going back soon mostly because there are so many other resorts we would like to try. It was pretty special and I think you should consider it for a very special vacation.

It sounds like you had a server issue at Ohana. We had such a great time when we did our breakfast there. We were also a party of five and as soon as our platter ran out of any one food item, our server popped over and refilled it for us. In fact, near the end of our meal we had to actually stop her from bring more eggs and meat! And the character interactions were our favorite. I think you're doing the right thing by giving it another shot.
I am hoping it's on the table for maybe a milestone anniversary or something along those lines...

Hearing your experience, I totally agree that it was a service issue, so hopefully we end up with a better server next time. If they had continued to replenish the food, I don't think there would have been such a negative reaction from the group. I got a little defensive when DH and my dad were complaining about the meal afterwards because it had been my idea to try breakfast there. But now typing it up for the TR, I realized it was a pretty lousy meal experience. I'm happy I got DH to agree to give it another shot, so I have fingers crossed it will be worth it!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #357
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
I am hoping it's on the table for maybe a milestone anniversary or something along those lines...
Definitely!

And you should make sure to have a resort day or two when you're at the Poly.

Everyone Hail To the Pumpkin Song! October 2014: TR PTR
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

Old 02-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #358
__disneygirl
well, all that's left now is the happy ending.

Ok I am not done reading your TR yet but I had to stop by and make a few comments.

1 - I miss Hanson

2 - You, your husband, and son are so adorable!! You can just see how happy you all were on this trip!

3 - I miss Hanson

4 - I definitely noticed your son in the crowd because I remember when Taylor's kid was a baby and he wore the same blue ear protection!

5 - I have been wanting to try 'Ohana's breakfast for ever b/c I am a huge Lilo and Stitch fan, but I love Kona breakfast too much!! Sorry your experience was less than stellar, but hopefully next time will be better!

6 - Thank you for the great Hanson pictures! I miss them BTW. I didn't get very good pictures due to excessive rocking out so I love yours!!
Old 02-16-2013, 12:14 AM   #359
debrapagliasotti
DIS Veteran

Sorry to hear your Ohana bkfst experience wasnt all that wonderful. I too agree that you had a bad server. We ate there in Dec and had a great meal and our waitress came around several times asking if we needed more of anything. I hope your Oct ADR goes much better
Old 02-16-2013, 06:45 AM   #360
MEK
DIS Veteran

I agree that the Poly is one of those resorts I would really like to stay at some day, but probably never will because I belong to DVC. It would have to be a real splurge to stay there when DVC is paid for. Sigh.

Not surprisingly, you got more great pictures of Paxton with the characters and I really like the ones with Stitch. They are great!

I would think if four adults were eating off one skillet they would bring refills out promptly. Your server sounds like they were not too with it. Seriously, keep it coming. I hope next October is a better experience. Have you guys tried Cape May for breakfast? I love it there. Great character interaction and plenty of food.

What? No resort day?

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: