Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
chimo2u
DIS Veteran

Question Renting VS cash sale for Kidani 1 BDRM in value season

I have pretty much decided that for my next trip, I will be staying in a 1 Bdrm villa at Kidani. It seems like it will meet our needs the best, and I love AKL, so I am sure we will love Kidani. This will be my first NON Club Level stay, I prefer the setup and look of the rooms at Kidani to the AKL villas -- so I don't mind forgoing CL my next trip. Actually, it will be a great time for us to try out deluxe DDP

I am wondering, would it be better to rent points and pay OOP for everyday housekeeping? Can we add on the ddp when we rent?
Or would we be better off just going through CRO and paying cash sale? And making a package as we've always done?

I am thinking of going in Jan 2015 / or Oct Nov 2014 -- depending on pricing at that time ..... I definitely will need to book in value season and would really like to avoid the excessive Aug/sept heat this time! We've been in Mid Jan once and beginning of FEB once , and where blessed with decent weather both times I like Jan/FEB value pricing!

I know renting means we have to be solid on our dates -- a thing that's sometimes hard for this wishy washy resort changing gal! would renting and paying OOP for deluxe ddp and tickets be cheaper than paying outright and booking with Disney? Also if I rent, I'd need to pay for the add on housekeeping, it's just something I enjoy when I stay at a hotel
Thanks for any thoughts!

Marie

Disney Trips:January 15-23, 2008 - AKL CL Celebrating DH leave from Afghanistan | Sept 1-12, 2009 - Storming the World with Friends, AKL CL Free Dining | August 20-29, 2010 Mom n' Son only trip, First time at Beach Club GV CL/ Universal Studios PBH CL ** POSTPONED ** Mom n' Son Trip is back on FEB 5-10, 2011 BC GV/Club Level with Basic DDP/Universal Studios HRH CL Feb 10/11/12 (DS's surprise** ) Sept 29 -Oct 7 2012 Best Friend Getaway POLY CL/ HRH CL
chimo2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Disney has the Jan 2013 room discounts & stay, play dine promo out now, so I'd go on the wdw web site and play around with pricing, then go on David's rental web site and compare cost of renting points. You can add dining. He has a lot of info about renting. After doing the Disney Math you should have a good idea of which would be better for you.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
chimo2u
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
Disney has the Jan 2013 room discounts & stay, play dine promo out now, so I'd go on the wdw web site and play around with pricing, then go on David's rental web site and compare cost of renting points. You can add dining. He has a lot of info about renting. After doing the Disney Math you should have a good idea of which would be better for you.
Thanks Sue I did try that....tried Jan 17-22, and pretended to add deluxe dining with 6 day park hopper tickets at Kidani 1 BDRM savanah view.....approx $6,800. I'll have to try and see what renting might be

Disney Trips:January 15-23, 2008 - AKL CL Celebrating DH leave from Afghanistan | Sept 1-12, 2009 - Storming the World with Friends, AKL CL Free Dining | August 20-29, 2010 Mom n' Son only trip, First time at Beach Club GV CL/ Universal Studios PBH CL ** POSTPONED ** Mom n' Son Trip is back on FEB 5-10, 2011 BC GV/Club Level with Basic DDP/Universal Studios HRH CL Feb 10/11/12 (DS's surprise** ) Sept 29 -Oct 7 2012 Best Friend Getaway POLY CL/ HRH CL
Old 10-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
merina888
Mouseketeer

If you're planning on renting, be aware that the cost per point for DVC is not out yet and it could change each year/season. You can also contact David, but I don't think you can reserve yet since owners at each DVC property can't book more than 11 months out.
merina888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Davids site has a points calculator, so you can put in dates and it tells you cost. I've done this, but don't think a studio villa is for us, because of not having 2 beds, and someone (daughter lol) will get the pull out
http://www.dvcrequest.com It also has a claculator for ddp.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside

Last edited by Sue M; 10-29-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
chimo2u
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
Davids site has a points calculator, so you can put in dates and it tells you cost. I've done this, but don't think a studio villa is for us, because of not having 2 beds, and someone (daughter lol) will get the pull out
http://www.dvcrequest.com It also has a claculator for ddp.
I tried the points calculator yesterday.....one bedroom villa should be enough room for us, Dh and I in the master, DS and DS GF on the pull out and pull out chairs in the living area.

It gave me a slight idea that using this years Jan rates, it would be about $2500 for 6 nights in a savanah view 1 BDRM , on top of that I'd have 6 days tickets with PH, to buy for 4.....and deluxe dining for 4 adults. I think once I factor in tickets and dining and housekeeping as I like it, it would be comparable to just buying through CRO..... plus I'll have greater flexibility for changes. I'll just hang on and see what rates are next yr.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
mickey&minniealways
DIS Veteran

Dave's site charges about $13 per point last I checked. When we rent it is usually directly from a member. We paid $11 per point April 2011. We spent 7 nights in a 2bdrm there. We have used the dinning plan in the past. Very easy to do just let the member you are renting from know what you want. Last time though it made more sense for us to have breakfast in our rooms. Usually made sandwiches and had lunch by the pool and went back to the parks in the evening for dinner and more fun. Renting though is usually cheaper than direct. Don't forget though that DVC value season can be different than Disney's.
mickey&minniealways is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: