Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
lacrossemom13
Earning My Ears

Cabins or POR?

Hi again, so after a bit if debate we are considering myself flying w the babies and DH driving w boys. This would put me there 2 nights earlier (flights are cheaper on a wed than sat) so I was thinking of POR or FW Cabins, as both resorts will hold 5 plus baby incase we change our minds and all fly or they arrive early before our offsite check in. It's a 200$ difference between resorts. Babies will be 2.5 and 1. Boys 11 and 9.
Thanks once again
lacrossemom13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

I think I'd go with the cabins if the extra fits your budget. You'll have a LOT more space - the babies can take naps in the bedroom without worry of big brothers disturbing them. Plus there are a lot of activities (free or low cost) at the campground that the kids would love.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
nkereina
Wendy Darling

POR rooms are the same size as any other moderate. They hold 5 because of the murphy bed, but the rooms aren't any bigger. You'll be really cramped there, IMO.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
bankgirl05
DIS Veteran

For a family your size, and the fact that you will have a car for most of your trip, I would definately stay at the cabins!!! I HATED FW because of the layout, and the taking a bus to get a bus scenario, but Loved the space the cabin offered, the outside deck, the KITCHEN. (only down side, no split bathroom.)

Since you will have a vehicle once your hubby gets there it will be so much easier to just drive to the parks, no loading the stoller on the internal bus, to get off and have to load it on the external bus.

You have your own private parking space just outside of your cabin, so those late night drives back from the park when the babies fall asleep in the strollers, you can transfer them easily to their carseats, and then right to thier beds!!!
bankgirl05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
tmanaster
Mouseketeer

I vote for cabins

My family of 6 have stayed in both. When my twins were babies we stayed at POR. While we loved it, we were pretty cramped. A few years later we stayed at Fort Wilderness and really enjoyed the extra room. It was great to have a full kitchen and a little deck as well! I think it is worth the extra 200 bucks.

BTW, we've also stayed in connecting value rooms and like this set up a lot if we are doing a dining plan mainly for the extra bathroom. The suites at ASMu were nice too but don't know if the kids would enjoy the pull out beds for more than a night or two.
Visit us at www.roadtriptheworld.com

Many DW visits as a child First Family Trip POR 2005 AS Movies 2006
ASMu/Fort Wilderness Cabins 2008 Pop Century 2010
Disney Princess Half Marathon~ Mom and Daughter trip! POR February 2011
Disney Princess Half Marathon Mom and Daughter trip! All Star Sports 2013
tmanaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
Sue M
DIS Veteran

I agree, you'd be pretty cramped in a room, and will have lots more space in the cabins. And the older boys can run off steam outside.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
portocall
I'm gonna try the water and swat next time

As much as I love POR, and we stay there as a family of five fine, I think even the budget conscience me would spring for the cabin adding a baby crib. The only way I would still do POR would be if we only planned to be in our room to sleep.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:08 PM   #8
RevKjb
Mouseketeer

Cabins r ur best bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrossemom13 View Post
Hi again, so after a bit if debate we are considering myself flying w the babies and DH driving w boys. This would put me there 2 nights earlier (flights are cheaper on a wed than sat) so I was thinking of POR or FW Cabins, as both resorts will hold 5 plus baby incase we change our minds and all fly or they arrive early before our offsite check in. It's a 200$ difference between resorts. Babies will be 2.5 and 1. Boys 11 and 9.
Thanks once again
You will have outdoor space for kids to play at the cabins. That is my recommendation.
Canada

RevKjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #9
believinthemagic
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrossemom13 View Post
Thanks once again
OK, I am going to go against the grain and say save the $200 and stay at POR. Yes, it will be a little crowded IF all 6 of you are in the room, but if I am right it sounds like this will only be 2 nights at the most, and then you are moving off sight.

For just 2 nights that's not very much time, and I could deal with being a little crowded. Also IMO if the boys & husband do not show up early you paid the extra $200 for nothing. And if it was just me with a 2 1/2 yr old and 1 year old I would rather be at POR than FW. More walking to get to where you want to go at FW and I think POR would be easier by myself with the kids.

Now if I'm incorrect and you are staying the whole week, then definitely FW for the extra space!!
Many trips as a kid- Ft. WildernessJan 2000- offsiteJan 2001- Treehouse VillasJanuary 2002- PolynesianJanuary 2003 All Star MoviesNovember 2003- Disney Cruise & All Star MoviesFebruary 2005 - Port Orleans FQFebruary 2006 - All Star MoviesJune 2007- All Star MoviesOctober 2008 - Port Orleans FQOctober 2009- Port Orleans FQNovember 2010 - Port Orleans RiversideJanuary 2012- Port Orleans FQJanuary 2013 Cruise on Disney Fantasy
believinthemagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: