Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
lilmrsellis
Wishing upon a star...

I was a movie extra! From DL Podcast

I was an extra in the opening scene of We Are Marshall. I'm from Huntington, born and raised, and they filmed all but the football scenes on Marshall's campus. When it came time for the fountain ceremony (which really is a biannual rent here) they wanted as many people as possible to come. My mom and I went and are in the movie near the back when the camera pans away from the fountain.
Anyone else have an extra story?
Old 10-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
ImTooExcitedToSleep
Disneyland Correspondent for The DIS UnpluggedI'll try to pop in later
Doh! Yeah, that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmrsellis View Post
I was an extra in the opening scene of We Are Marshall.
Very cool.
ImTooExcitedToSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
grafxgirl
DIS Veteran

Was this from the 2006 movie? The kids that attend the high school in our area, where I was doing my student teaching observations, had to watch that movie as part of their literature class. It was a very good movie.

grafxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #4
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

From Teresa's favorite movie (with Dixie Carter and Kenny Rodgers).

Old 10-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
lilmrsellis
Wishing upon a star...

Yep, sure is! I just remembered! The steel mill scenes were shot at my dad's plant! Almost all the extras in the movie are Marshall students and people from town.

The crash is still very real in Huntington to this day. Everyone old enough has a where were you story. I had a teacher whose parents died and a guy my dad grew up with was on the team but didn't travel that night. My mom lived out near the crash site and said as kids they thought it was a giant thunder clap.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
Disney st8 of mind
Mouseketeer

Jeff Daniels (Dumb and Dumber fame) is a local guy here and has his own theatre and production company. Around 2001 he wrote and directed his own movie (Super Sucker) and filmed in Jackson. I was in a mob scene filmed downtown. We all had to dress like crazy housewives and run down the street! It was a lot of fun and neat to see how films are made. We were downtown from dark til dawn just to film a couple minutes of the movie!
Old 10-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Awesome!
Old 10-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
lilmrsellis
Wishing upon a star...

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5jmh

From Teresa's favorite movie (with Dixie Carter and Kenny Rodgers).
Cute (drips with sarcasm). I really just wanted to know if anyone else had had a movie set experience since I CAN'T be the only one.

Anyways, during filming Matthew McConaughey walked to Subway everyday from the house he was saying in, but I was Lost obsessed and wanted to see Matthew Fox. My dad is in a local gospel group and they were recording a new album at the time. The studio owner called and canceled their session saying he'd had a call about urgent voice work needing recorded. He just figured it was a local commercial, but when the person showed up it was Matthew Fox recording last minute ADR for the season 2 (I believe) finale of Lost! His hair is red in the season finale, too, because he had to fly out for reshoots while filming We Are Marshall. That's pretty much the extent of my behind the scenes knowledge, lol. It isn't much
Old 10-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
lilmrsellis
Wishing upon a star...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney st8 of mind
Jeff Daniels (Dumb and Dumber fame) is a local guy here and has his own theatre and production company. Around 2001 he wrote and directed his own movie (Super Sucker) and filmed in Jackson. I was in a mob scene filmed downtown. We all had to dress like crazy housewives and run down the street! It was a lot of fun and neat to see how films are made. We were downtown from dark til dawn just to film a couple minutes of the movie!
Awesome!
Old 10-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmrsellis View Post
Cute (drips with sarcasm). I really just wanted to know if anyone else had had a movie set experience since I CAN'T be the only one.
Oh, that is me playing the Tuba. I have also played on a couple of different soundtracks.

FWIW, The Tuba on the right is smaller (Pitched in CC) than the horn on the left (Pitched in BBb), the person has not gotten that much bigger.

Last edited by k5jmh; 10-30-2012 at 11:51 AM.
k5jmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #11
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

I was in the crowd of the final football scene in the move "Rudy". I've been to one Notre Dame game in my life, and they shot the movie during half-tme using the regular crowds.

I still haven't actually seen the movie though...

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK NEW TR
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #12
WorldWacky
DIS Veteran

I was "Lady Liberty" in the movie Houseguest starring Sinbad and Phil Hartman. I had to run during the marathon scenes next to a guy dressed as Uncle Sam. I got to go to costume and make-up each day. It was fun. Especially during lunch. The food that was catered in was great! : I can be seen just behind Sinbad and Phil. Jeff Jones was also in the movie. It was about 95 degrees and humid for the four days that it took to tape those scenes. Jeff Jones sat on the curb in between scenes talking to the extras. Phil Hartman signed autographs in between takes.(Including one for an elderly lady who came up to him and said,"Are you somebody famous? If you are, I'd like your autograph." Phil laughed and said., "Some people think so ." and signed her paper. Sinbad was a jerk to everyone everyday I was there, including a little girl who was trying to take his picture from across the street. He sent his bodyguard, who was about a foot shorter than him to yell at the kid. I was very surprised and disappointed to see that that was what he was like. Never thought of him the same way after that.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:46 AM   #13
lilmrsellis
Wishing upon a star...

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5jmh

Oh, that is me playing the Tuba. I have also played on a couple of different soundtracks.

FWIW, The Tuba on the right is smaller (Pitched in CC) than the horn on the left (Pitched in BBb), the person has not gotten that much bigger.
My bad! That's awesome!
Old 11-04-2012, 12:13 AM   #14
Michele
You're never too old to sit in a little chair and enjoy a Mickey Mouse cartoon
I am a scrapbook dummy

Both my sons were extras in The Informant, with Matt Damon. My oldest played the older son in the movie, mostly in family pictures on set but he did have one scene that made it in.
DS on the right

My other one was in the pool at the hotel scene, very quick shot of him.

It was a great experience for them both!
May 2010 Off-site *~* Dec 2013-DISAPALOOZA! *~* May 2014 Yacht Club

Michele is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: