Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #46
cypressmom
Love my Disney vacations!
 
cypressmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 921

Wow! Scary. Thanks so much for sharing!
__________________

Disney World, 1986,1995, 2011 & 2014
Disneyland, 2001, 2007, 2010, 2011 & 2013
Disney Cruise Line, 2012 & 2014
cypressmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #47
rfassett
Mouseketeer
 
rfassett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: GREENVILLE, PA
Posts: 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdecroo View Post
The Dream & Fantasy are such beautiful ships to cruise on. It's just a shame your cruise had to end this way.
I was on the Dream and you can not prove its beauty by me. That is one of the things I spent all of that money to see. But alas, it was not to be. And I do not ever see my family and I on another Disney cruise. And not because of the weather, but because of the poor decision making of DCL.
__________________
DVC SINCE 04/01

rfassett is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #48
kimistry6
DIS Veteran
 
kimistry6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 529

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Magic Girl View Post
We were on deck 11 when the adult pool overflowed its water onto the deck. My wife and I had been to the Cove Café and were on our way back to our stateroom. I was not feeling well so we sat down on a love seat next to the pool on deck 11. Until this point the ship had not listed from side to side very badly. While we were sitting there, the ship rolled to the port side at a steep angle. The adult pool started to spill its water to the port side. Before we could get up, the ship rolled to the starboard side. The water on the deck, as well as, the water overflowing from the starboard side of the pool washed my wife and I across deck 11 and into the glass wall on the starboard side of the ship. All of the furniture and the love seat that we were sitting on went with us into the glass. We both lost our shoes overboard during this incident. The crew members from the Cove Café did an excellent job at helping the guests to safety inside the ship while the ship was rolling from side to side. We have some bruising and soreness from our ride across deck.








.
Wow, this is scary. We have booked an October cruise for next year but now after seeing this video and hearing about this cruise, we may change the date. Glad everyone was okay and the ship returned safely. This is even harder to watch knowing people in the video. Your wife is the reason we started cruising with Disney and it's surreal to see her in this situation.
kimistry6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #49
kristof65
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 78

Hmmm...

Maybe its just because I'm ex-navy, but the videos I'm seeing today just aren't matching the severity I had envisioned based on the earlier written accounts.
kristof65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #50
rosermama
DIS Veteran
 
rosermama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,184

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimistry6

Wow, this is scary. We have booked an October cruise for next year but now after seeing this video and hearing about this cruise, we may change the date. Glad everyone was okay and the ship returned safely. This is even harder to watch knowing people in the video. Your wife is the reason we started cruising with Disney and it's surreal to see her in this situation.
Crusining in Oct sometimes comes with these challenges we normally cruise the 2nd week of Nov and its pretty good.

One year we went on a last minute cruise in Jan and it was suppose to be beautiful the whole 3 days. Then a winter storm came out of no where the temp dropped and the wind was so bad we couldnt dock at CC and by dinner I could barely walk without stumbling it was like I was drunk. I could feel every movement of the ship on the water. They even closed deck 4 cause the water was splashing up. It was bad... I only say this to remind you that it can happen any time.

Hurricane season and late Dec to Feb cam be rough seas. Best of luck with your cruise next year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note using DISBoards
rosermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #51
zellda
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 178

The worst part of the storm was in the middle of the night (between about 1:00 - 5:00 am), after this video was filmed,and before some of the other pix I have seen. I wish I had had a camera that filmed well in the dark because I would have recorded the amazing sea from my verandah. Mind you, I would not have stepped out on the verandah to do it. Instead, I got back in my bed after putting everything on the floor so it wouldn't fly around anymore, and prayed we would make it to morning. While it might not have been as bad as many navy veterans have experienced, it was certainly more than vacationers on a cruise are expecting.
__________________
DVC Members since 1993 (OKW, SSR & AKL)
zellda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #52
CDSTapisRouge
Once upon a time began a tale...
 
CDSTapisRouge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,472

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
I am so glued to this, and cannot imagine how scary it must have been for all of you onboard.

I have relentlessly pushed DH for a Bahamas cruise for next November, we finally booked due to my badgering and now I want to nix it! I would rather rebook for an Alaska 2014 cruise, but DH is now the one saying no, he want so keep what we have.

OP will you be cruising again??
Don't be so sure about Alaska... with that said, we LOVE Alaska and cruising and would never say don't go... We went to Alaska a few years ago in May and while you would not think of the waters being rough we had a really bad day on our cruise. It wasn't anywhere near sailing through a Hurricane but Our Captain came on the PA and asked Passengers to stay in their rooms, Not to go out on their Balconies, All Outer decks were closed off. Our room was on the front of the ship (Not Disney) with a balcony and we were following behind Holland America, I kid you not the ship was going Up and Down so high/low that you would see the Holland America ship in front of us and then you couldn't see them at all.

Thank you to the OP for posting the video it really does more justice to the experience than any of the other videos out there. I am glad that you are all okay after a harrowing night!
CDSTapisRouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:46 PM   #53
dzy76
It all started with two little girls in Disneyland 1976
 
dzy76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pendleton, Oregon
Posts: 97

It's very sad to see people on this board post such negative attitudes towards those sharing their experiences on this cruise. It makes me heart-sick that these same people claim to be Disney fans. Come on people, have some compassion for other people's feelings.

I was on this cruise. And it was my first cruise, ever. I was with my sister and a friend who have cruised many times before, although never on Disney. This was a cruise that my sister and I saved for three years for. It was supposed to be a tribute to our parents, who both died about three years ago. A closure of sorts, since it was our loving parents who gave us the love of Disney.

The cruise, crew, ship and experience was amazing. Until Friday. Now I love Disney. Truly. But they dropped the ball on this, in my opinion. I was very sad to not get to go to Castaway Cay, but completely understood and trusted the crew to do what was needed for safety. However, their release that the guests got "another sunny day at sea" story is ridiculous. It was choppy, windy, rainy, and cold all day friday. They passed out blankets, for crying out loud, not towels. Thegusts were as high as in the 70's a few times when we checked the tv on the bridge report channel. Now the captain did come over a couple times to tell people to be careful walking about the ship. That was really about all that was said throughout the day. Most decks were closed. All the chairs and loungers were stacked and tarped and roped. I think the last outside deck to be closed was deck four. There was no information on tv or anywhere on what the actual hurricane was doing, where it was or where we were in relation to it. It did show our route on the bridge report, but nothing really about the hurricane.

Alot of people were feeling sick. We met quite a few that evening who were trying to find a place to be that wasn't so rocky, and looking for sea-sickness pills. The bathrooms had barf-bags in them and the stores had sea-bands and bonine (didn't the rest of the week). At dinner (we had late seating) it was obvious how many people were missing. Even two of our table mates had to leave during the meal. There was glass breaking all over the restaurant. The servers were really having a rough time. But they were very professional, and really were trying to keep moral up.

Although none of us were sick, we decided to head back to our cabin. As we went through the adult pool area (cove pool) it was finally closed. Earlier in the day we watched people slosh from side to side in it, wondering why they didn't close it then. We went to bed around 11pm with the ship rocking, shuddering, and moving continuously. We couldn't go on the verandah due to the winds and rain.

Then about 1am we were awakend to violent tossing. We couldn't even hang onto the bed. Things were falling off all the shelves, desk, bathroom shelves, and closets. We could hear things being tossed and people shouting. Then the ship listed hard to the left and came back up and went way over to the right. It literally felt like we were going to go over. At this point my sister called the desk asking for an update on the weather and the storm. She was told "it is a bit windy". Yes, that is what she was told. Really? She told them that was NOT good enough. That we needed information, and soon. Right after that the captain came on in the rooms, telling us to "stay in our staterooms" and that was that. And I can tell you, his voice cracked a little when he was saying it. At this point we were really scared.

Now my sister had been on a cruise once in a storm before, and she said it was never anything like we were experiencing. We all thought we would be "ok" or at least prayed it to be so, but it was still very, very scary. Mostly because we just didn't know for sure how bad or not bad it was, because information was not coming like it should have. Finally, the captain came back on and said the ship was handling the storm as expected. He did say it was a little more than they anticipated, but that we weren't in immediate danger. (could have fooled us!!). We felt better after this, but it was a long time coming that we were reassurred of our safety.

Now, I know Captain Tom had more to do than tell us about what was going on. But I am not so stupid to think that he could have had someone from the crew (perhaps the cruise director?) keep us more updated on what was happening. Even just putting it on the bridge report channel would have been helpful!

The ship rocked horribly until after four or so in the morning. We pretty much fell asleep exhausted only to wake up and be told to go to breakfast at 7:30 am. We did, and then were told to go back to our staterooms. They weren't sure if we would dock because of the continued winds. Finally, we were told if we had flights before noon to rebook. Our flight was at 2pm so we waited. Then no information was given. We watched a tug boat help us dock. Finally about 11am we took our suitcases and went down to the atrium. Where apparentenly EVERY person on that ship went. It was body to body. And all tense and sea-sick and tired. We stood in there for over an hour while no annoucements were made. Once in a while a crew member in white would make their way through and people would stop them and ask about what was going on. We learned that we were "waiting for customs" to clear the ship. Now this was not announced overhead, just passed along guest to guest. Of course it was useless trying to get to guest services, it was swamped with people trying to get help changing flights.

Eventually, they said people with "luggage" could go out. They opened the doors and we took off right as they were announcing we could get a 25% discount for another cruise. Are you kidding????? Luckily, we were close to the doors. And luckily we had a towncar waiting (thank God for Kenny from Florida Tours) and because he was right there to get us, and drove like a mad-man, we made our flight. (we tipped him well, too).

Now, I am not telling this because I want something. I don't need compensated. It was a lovely cruise until the last day and a half. But I really think they should buck-up and tell the truth, too. Although, yes, we ended up getting back safe, the ship was NOT sound. That ship got battered. I saw it first hand. We did not have a "sunny" extra day at sea. Didn't happen. I do NOT blame Disney for the weather. I do not feel I deserve anything for how it ended. But they COULD HAVE HANDLED IT ALOT BETTER. And that is what upsets me. I expect alot more of Disney. Which is why I go to Disney. I trust them. My glasses are a little less rose colored now.
__________________
It all started with two girls and a mouse in Disneyland 1976. Thanks Mom and Dad for our love of all things Disney!

Dzy76


dzy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:23 AM   #54
hkcbear
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzy76 View Post
It's very sad to see people on this board post such negative attitudes towards those sharing their experiences on this cruise. It makes me heart-sick that these same people claim to be Disney fans. Come on people, have some compassion for other people's feelings.

I was on this cruise. And it was my first cruise, ever. I was with my sister and a friend who have cruised many times before, although never on Disney. This was a cruise that my sister and I saved for three years for. It was supposed to be a tribute to our parents, who both died about three years ago. A closure of sorts, since it was our loving parents who gave us the love of Disney.

The cruise, crew, ship and experience was amazing. Until Friday. Now I love Disney. Truly. But they dropped the ball on this, in my opinion. I was very sad to not get to go to Castaway Cay, but completely understood and trusted the crew to do what was needed for safety. However, their release that the guests got "another sunny day at sea" story is ridiculous. It was choppy, windy, rainy, and cold all day friday. They passed out blankets, for crying out loud, not towels. Thegusts were as high as in the 70's a few times when we checked the tv on the bridge report channel. Now the captain did come over a couple times to tell people to be careful walking about the ship. That was really about all that was said throughout the day. Most decks were closed. All the chairs and loungers were stacked and tarped and roped. I think the last outside deck to be closed was deck four. There was no information on tv or anywhere on what the actual hurricane was doing, where it was or where we were in relation to it. It did show our route on the bridge report, but nothing really about the hurricane.

Alot of people were feeling sick. We met quite a few that evening who were trying to find a place to be that wasn't so rocky, and looking for sea-sickness pills. The bathrooms had barf-bags in them and the stores had sea-bands and bonine (didn't the rest of the week). At dinner (we had late seating) it was obvious how many people were missing. Even two of our table mates had to leave during the meal. There was glass breaking all over the restaurant. The servers were really having a rough time. But they were very professional, and really were trying to keep moral up.

Although none of us were sick, we decided to head back to our cabin. As we went through the adult pool area (cove pool) it was finally closed. Earlier in the day we watched people slosh from side to side in it, wondering why they didn't close it then. We went to bed around 11pm with the ship rocking, shuddering, and moving continuously. We couldn't go on the verandah due to the winds and rain.

Then about 1am we were awakend to violent tossing. We couldn't even hang onto the bed. Things were falling off all the shelves, desk, bathroom shelves, and closets. We could hear things being tossed and people shouting. Then the ship listed hard to the left and came back up and went way over to the right. It literally felt like we were going to go over. At this point my sister called the desk asking for an update on the weather and the storm. She was told "it is a bit windy". Yes, that is what she was told. Really? She told them that was NOT good enough. That we needed information, and soon. Right after that the captain came on in the rooms, telling us to "stay in our staterooms" and that was that. And I can tell you, his voice cracked a little when he was saying it. At this point we were really scared.

Now my sister had been on a cruise once in a storm before, and she said it was never anything like we were experiencing. We all thought we would be "ok" or at least prayed it to be so, but it was still very, very scary. Mostly because we just didn't know for sure how bad or not bad it was, because information was not coming like it should have. Finally, the captain came back on and said the ship was handling the storm as expected. He did say it was a little more than they anticipated, but that we weren't in immediate danger. (could have fooled us!!). We felt better after this, but it was a long time coming that we were reassurred of our safety.

Now, I know Captain Tom had more to do than tell us about what was going on. But I am not so stupid to think that he could have had someone from the crew (perhaps the cruise director?) keep us more updated on what was happening. Even just putting it on the bridge report channel would have been helpful!

The ship rocked horribly until after four or so in the morning. We pretty much fell asleep exhausted only to wake up and be told to go to breakfast at 7:30 am. We did, and then were told to go back to our staterooms. They weren't sure if we would dock because of the continued winds. Finally, we were told if we had flights before noon to rebook. Our flight was at 2pm so we waited. Then no information was given. We watched a tug boat help us dock. Finally about 11am we took our suitcases and went down to the atrium. Where apparentenly EVERY person on that ship went. It was body to body. And all tense and sea-sick and tired. We stood in there for over an hour while no annoucements were made. Once in a while a crew member in white would make their way through and people would stop them and ask about what was going on. We learned that we were "waiting for customs" to clear the ship. Now this was not announced overhead, just passed along guest to guest. Of course it was useless trying to get to guest services, it was swamped with people trying to get help changing flights.

Eventually, they said people with "luggage" could go out. They opened the doors and we took off right as they were announcing we could get a 25% discount for another cruise. Are you kidding????? Luckily, we were close to the doors. And luckily we had a towncar waiting (thank God for Kenny from Florida Tours) and because he was right there to get us, and drove like a mad-man, we made our flight. (we tipped him well, too).

Now, I am not telling this because I want something. I don't need compensated. It was a lovely cruise until the last day and a half. But I really think they should buck-up and tell the truth, too. Although, yes, we ended up getting back safe, the ship was NOT sound. That ship got battered. I saw it first hand. We did not have a "sunny" extra day at sea. Didn't happen. I do NOT blame Disney for the weather. I do not feel I deserve anything for how it ended. But they COULD HAVE HANDLED IT ALOT BETTER. And that is what upsets me. I expect alot more of Disney. Which is why I go to Disney. I trust them. My glasses are a little less rose colored now.
Wow! You said exactly what I said earlier in a post! Our experience was the very same except that we missed our 2:40 flight! We called GS over and over asking what we should do and they told us it would be tight but we should make it...we didn't!

The ocean was rough all day, and there was pouring rain on and off, most decks closed, we stayed in our room most of the day because our 19 month old had trouble walking, but my older teens went out to their club and to the show because that's what we were told to do, but to just be careful.... After dinner I let them go to their club again ( btw my older kids are 18 and 19- if you saw Batman and Wolverine on Halloween night, that was them-lol) but only because the announcement kept saying to use caution....

After 12:30am though is when all heck broke loose literally! And my kids were not allowed out again, and I refused to let anyone open the veranda door....from the window the waves were HUGE and we could not stand! We too kept it on channel 4 hoping for some sort of report on what was happening! When that ship listed to the side, I just knew we were done! It was just horrifying until about 4 or so... I'm glad that you and your sisters are alright! It was our very first cruise as well and I was extremely Eneducated before Friday and believed what I was told regarding cruising during a hurricane....

For the judge mental people on here, you have 100% no idea what you are talking about! Seriously none! You did not live through it and you have no idea how badly Disney dropped the ball by not communicating or giving us direction, that is the part that really upsets me along with sailing right into that storm... I just can not believe that with a ship filled with babies and children, that something like this could happen! And I think that for most of us, we just want answers and to be heard! We on the Fantasy that night have a scary story to tell and not one of us should be called names, or ridiculed because of what we went through... I love Disney just as much as anyone, but They were totally WRONG in so many ways!
hkcbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:48 PM   #55
dzy76
It all started with two little girls in Disneyland 1976
 
dzy76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pendleton, Oregon
Posts: 97

I have let Disney know my feelings on this issue. They sent a survey that I filled out truthfully. I aslo got a call regarding booking another cruise. I told her my story, too. I will continue to let them know how they could have done a better job with that night and the next morning. Probably won't matter, but makes me feel better to be heard.

Overall, I loved the cruise. And I am not going to let it spoil my love for Disney or hopefully cruising again. But it was a scary experience and I don't want them to act like it didn't happen to us.
__________________
It all started with two girls and a mouse in Disneyland 1976. Thanks Mom and Dad for our love of all things Disney!

Dzy76


dzy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:24 PM   #56
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!
 
lbgraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 47,988

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzy76 View Post
I have let Disney know my feelings on this issue. They sent a survey that I filled out truthfully. I aslo got a call regarding booking another cruise. I told her my story, too. I will continue to let them know how they could have done a better job with that night and the next morning. Probably won't matter, but makes me feel better to be heard.
Hopefully the fact that DCL is doing a survey and reaching out to talk to guests who were on these cruises means that they are taking this seriously.
__________________
Lisa

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013


DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August
Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #57
linco711
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzy76 View Post
I have let Disney know my feelings on this issue. They sent a survey that I filled out truthfully. I aslo got a call regarding booking another cruise. I told her my story, too. I will continue to let them know how they could have done a better job with that night and the next morning. Probably won't matter, but makes me feel better to be heard.

Overall, I loved the cruise. And I am not going to let it spoil my love for Disney or hopefully cruising again. But it was a scary experience and I don't want them to act like it didn't happen to us.
I hope I get a chance to let them know how we feel. Unfortunately I have not received the survey. Glad to know they are doing a survey though.
linco711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #58
realityland
Mouseketeer
 
realityland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Latitude 27° 5' 59.199" Longitude -82° 27' 15.3475" (Venice, Florida)
Posts: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves
Here is another video that shows things happening inside that came up after I viewed this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKAVt...eature=related
This video has had over 50,000 views. And there are others on YouTube with sizeable view counts. Regardless of whether or not you believe there is merit in the case being made by Dream/Fantasy cruiseres, this thing does seem to have some legs. YouTube is a game changer when it comes to the relationship between company and client.
__________________
realityland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #59
Bear3412
DIS Veteran
 
Bear3412's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: No. VA
Posts: 3,973

I would be thrilled with just a letter stating the details of the seas we sailed through. Height of seas, height of rogue waves, max wind. Many folks are clueless what we sailed through. I would be skeptical too if I wasn't there. DCL is fortunate this happened at night.
The ship handled the 25+ waves like a true lady. That wasn't the issue. It was the rogue waves that hit us repeatedly after midnight. I'd actually pay for that report. Trust me, most would be in shock if the knew the max height of the rogues we encountered. It was amazing on 12 forward. Like I stated, I'm glad she was made in Germany.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #60
DarthTod
Mouseketeer
 
DarthTod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristof65
Hmmm...

Maybe its just because I'm ex-navy, but the videos I'm seeing today just aren't matching the severity I had envisioned based on the earlier written accounts.
Glad I'm not the only one.

I wasn't in this storm, but I've been through a few, on a much smaller ship. I can appreciate that this scared a lot of folks, but Disney really did make the right call. The other lines that made the decision to stay out may have avoided the worst of it, but what they ended up doing was putting their passengers though a much longer period of heavy seas, while disrupting their return schedules, and the schedules of the next set of cruisers as well. I suggest folks also search for videos from the other cruise lines that were in this storm. I think you'll find that it wasn't exactly smooth sailing for them either. (http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=r...&v=TZLNZWagtkA)
DarthTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.