Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 12:27 AM   #16
Belle4
Mouseketeer

Wow!! That video sure does speak for itself with the magnitude of the situation. Luckily you just received some bruising. It looks like it could have been much worse.
Belle4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:18 AM   #17
kdecroo
Earning My Ears

I have been glued to this thread also.

I just can't believe they put you all in that situation.

I would have been scared to death and IRATE....

I hope all of your emotional trauma heals quickly.

For those of you that were cruising for the first time, I hope you can find a way to get past this.

The Dream & Fantasy are such beautiful ships to cruise on. It's just a shame your cruise had to end this way.

kdecroo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2012, 02:59 AM   #18
jpeppers
DIS Veteran

I would be very pissed. This wasn't an earthquake, I'm on the west coast and I've known this was coming, its severity and its path for quite a while. Obviously the ship shouldn't have been in this position. I understand that these people booked during hurricane season but common sense would be to steer clear and if that is no possible stay in port and provide refunds. I think 25% on a future cruise is ridiculous, some people can only do this type of thing once. Maybe 25% off plus at least 25% refund because the captain representing Disney made the choice to take his passengers into an unsafe situation just to stick to his timeline in to port.
jpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:47 AM   #19
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Wow, what an amazing video!!!
Old 10-30-2012, 06:32 AM   #20
Dave_MaryJo
Mouseketeer

Wow!!!! You need to share your video with the media... cnn

Oasis of the Seas - 7 Night Eastern (Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maarten) - May 2013
Disney Dream - 4 Night Bahamas (Nassau, Castaway Cay) - May 2012
Carnival Glory - 7 Night Eastern (Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maarten) - May 2009
Carnival Victory - 5 Night Eastern (Freeport, Nassau) - October 2006
Dave_MaryJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:40 AM   #21
Malaguti Ball Clan
aka the MALABALL an unstoppable family of fun

Glad you are okay! Very interesting to see that DCL didn't secure the upper outer decks to passengers as well as outer doors leading into the ship. It has to be a given that if the ship is rolling that severely that the pools will be awash and that water has to go somewhere!

SSR/OKW/SOG 14 days June 2009
DCL/AKL Jambo 12 days Sep/Oct 2010
Malaguti Ball Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:31 AM   #22
Embraer
Mouseketeer

I was of the understanding that guests were advised to stay in their staterooms, why then were people out and about?

As an airline captain I expect my passengers to follow my advice and instruction and when I say keep your seatbelt fastened as a suggestion due to the possibility of turbulence I expect people to have the sense to believe I'm thinking of their SAFETY and comply. Those that don't and end up injured have only themselves to blame for the jeopardy they've placed themselves in and the injury they may sustain.

I just don't understand some people

Sorry if this goes against the tone of the thread but I have great trouble with people second guessing the company's and the captain's decisions during these unique events
Old 10-30-2012, 07:47 AM   #23
Tolson70
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embraer View Post
I was of the understanding that guests were advised to stay in their staterooms, why then were people out and about?

As an airline captain I expect my passengers to follow my advice and instruction and when I say keep your seatbelt fastened as a suggestion due to the possibility of turbulence I expect people to have the sense to believe I'm thinking of their SAFETY and comply. Those that don't and end up injured have only themselves to blame for the jeopardy they've placed themselves in and the injury they may sustain.

Sorry if this goes against the tone of the thread but I have great trouble with people second guessing the company's and the captain's decisions during these unique events
Depending on the timing, from the other threads, the captain didn't ask guests to remain in the rooms until midnight or a little after midnight, so this video may have happened prior to the captain making the announcement.
Disney Wonder - Bahammas January 2008
Carnival Festivale - Puerto Rico and St. Thomas - 1985
Tolson70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:54 AM   #24
Wadekind
DIS Veteran

WOW! Thanks for sharing
Wadekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #25
Disney Magic Girl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embraer View Post

As an airline captain you should know that you should get the facts before you use your authority reprimand someone. This video was at about 12am. There was no announcement from the bridge until after 1am.

Yes, I just don't understand some people too!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2JV3j6AEpc
Disney Magic Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #26
Belle2007
Mouseketeer

Wow! That was great footage of the tilting and the pools!

POFQ 2007; Disney Cruise "Magic" 2009; Disney Cruise "Wonder" 2009; POFQ 2009; Disneyland 2010; WDW 2010; Disney Magic 2011; Disney Fantasy Maiden Voyage 2012
Belle2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #27
dizzneebabe
SOME IMAGINATION!!!

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Great video!

As an experienced cruiser, I can tell you I would not have been sitting on the pool deck in those conditions!!!

Glad you're all ok!

Growing up 1974-1985 Aunt Joyce's house
With DH and 2 DS's...Sept. 1998 Offsite @ Vistana** Sept. 1999 Offsite @ Orange Lake**Sept. 2000 Offsite @ Embassy Suites**Sept. 2001 BWI**Sept. 2002 POR and RPR**July 4th week 2003 YC Concierge**
Sept. 2006 BWV/BCV/WL

March 2007-FINALLY DVC MEMBERS! June 2007 HHI**Dec 2008 AKV 1st trip "HOME!"**MY 40th BIRTHDAY!!!July 4th 2009!!! Cruise & SSR**
Dec 2009 AKV KIDANI
July 2010- HHI**Dec 2010 BLT**March 2011 BWV**May 2011 SSR**Aug 2011 SSR**Nov 2011 BLT**June 2012 SSR**Oct 2012 SSR**Jan 2013 OKW**March 2013 DCL Fantasy and Easter at BCV!**Jun 2013 SSRr**
Oct 2013 AKV weekend **Nov 2013 BWV**
Jan 2014 AKV RUN DISNEY 10K**
March 2014 BCV**July 2014 OKW**HALLOWEEN 2014 BLT**Thanksgiving 2014 AKV**

dizzneebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #28
DisneyNurse19
Mouseketeer

I would have thought everyone could have used their own common sense to keep inside without having to be told by someone in authority
DisneyNurse19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #29
OMD13
Mouseketeer

WOW!!! How scary that must have been. Glad you made it back safely.
OMD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #30
Embraer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Magic Girl View Post
As an airline captain you should know that you should get the facts before you use your authority reprimand someone. This video was at about 12am. There was no announcement from the bridge until after 1am.

Yes, I just don't understand some people too!!
If you read my post I never reprimanded anyone. If it's a case that Captain only advised after midnight for people to remain in their staterooms fair enough, but a bit of personal responsibility should have been used. It's raining, blowing greater than 50kts and the boat is rolling, why would anybody be outside?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: