Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
Deanie1
Mouseketeer

Tell me about Hollywood Brown Derby, please!

We just switched our Fantasmic day and Mama Melrose wasn't available so we booked HBD. I know nothing about this restaurant (except that it takes two TS!)
So please tell me what meals you liked, desserts also. This will be our only 2TS restaurant.
Deanie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
Li Li
Mouseketeer

I LOVED the Cobb salad. Hubby and I split it and the Brie appetizer. That was out entire lunch and it was plenty filling. I also had the martini flight which was excellent!
Li Li is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
msp2mco
Mouseketeer

I've eaten there a few times. The Cobb Salad is terrific, and it is not something I would normally order. The filet mignon is terrific. I've had the grapefruit cake for dessert, and that was also good. I don't think you can go wrong with most of their menu items. We have dined there several times with the Fantasmic Package too.
msp2mco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
sephorachick
DIS Veteran

I love it there. We were just there 3 weeks ago. Had the filet mignon,potato leek soup and my favorite drink peach tree punch!

Me: Husband: Pacey Minnie Vicky Ginger

Check out my Disney blog!
www.yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blogspot.com
Today's entry is on Boma's Banana Bread recipe & review!

Facebook page for my Disney blog! Please "LIKE"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yohoyo...99050306822131
sephorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

I love it there....so good. If you like Cobb salads, theirs is pretty great!
Old 10-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

I know we're in the minority, but we really weren't thrilled by the Brown Derby. It is a gorgeous restaurant and the service is great but I was unimpressed with the food.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #7
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I love Brown Derby. I eat here every trip because of it's location. I was there again for lunch 2 weeks ago. I always try something different but I usually get a fish dish. I can't stand the texture of the cobb. 2 weeks ago I veered off course and had the pork chop, based on the waiter's recommendation. I was blown away with it. I don't eat beef or pork usually but I'd have that pork chop again.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
Bellamouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDuck View Post
I know we're in the minority, but we really weren't thrilled by the Brown Derby. It is a gorgeous restaurant and the service is great but I was unimpressed with the food.
We agree with you. Ate there for the first time beginning of October. Totally unimpressed with the food. It was ok, definitely not horrible (actually liked the Cobb Salad and of course, love the Grapefruit Cake!), but the selection of entrees was very unappealing overall. And none of us really cared for our entrees (there were four of us and we each ordered something different). It was also the most expensive meal out of every place we went (and we didn't do cheap CS either, we did TS every night). We did have the best waiter ever there though - a guy named Keith. Truly wonderful. Perhaps the best service I've ever had anywhere. It's too bad the food just didn't match the decor and service.

We won't go back, although I am glad I tried it!
Bellamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
sophie832
Addicted to DL and WDW!

We just ate there for the second time last Wednesday...we went back because we feel like it's some of the best food at DHS. That's not really saying much, though We've eaten at every signature restaurant, and the Brown Derby isn't at the bottom of the list, but it's not at the top. The food is ok. The appetizer Cobb salad is tiny, but the entree size is probably much bigger. It's not the type of salad you might imagine. Most Cobbs have crisp lettuce, but this one is kind of soggy...it all blends together. That may not be a bad thing for some...for me, it's so-so. I found the grapefruit cake to be dry and overrated on our first visit, so this time we ordered other desserts. The main courses have always been pretty good, just not mind-blowing.

Service was great both times we went. I would recommend everyone eat there at least once. Then you can form your own opinion.
January 2011 Dining Review!
sophie832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #10
Tanyabeth8
Mouseketeer

In my opinion it is a much better choice than MaMa Melrose.
Tanyabeth8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #11
Deanie1
Mouseketeer

I was originally very happy with our choice - although we had no other choice if we wanted the F! package - because I saw short ribs on the menu. But then, I saw a couple other menus, perhaps more recent, without the short ribs. All 3 of us would have ordered that entree. One sister is allergic to seafood/fish so a lot of the choices are out for her. Perhaps she can order the pork chop. Any other recommendations for the entree?
Deanie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #12
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

Just dined there for lunch first time last month. We LOVED it. DW and (adult) DD are strict carnivores and enjoyed the filet, I had the Cobb salad which was terrific. I also had a spring roll appetizer that was delicious.
I wanted to try the grapefruit cake but was too full and couldn't convince anyone to share with me. Also had service that was so good we called the manager out to thank him. We've been going to WDW since the 70s and had never eaten here. I'm certain we'll be back
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #13
vdub322
Are we there yet?

I am really looking forward to trying HBD on our next trip, so I appreciate the OP asking the question! DH and I are looking forward to some yummy vegetarian meals (we eat about 85% veg at home) and their Coconut Crusted Tofu Noodle Bowl looks and sounds awesome! I am very excited to try HBD and might even look into the Fantasmic Package now that I'm reading so much about it!

vdub322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #14
Sweettears
50 years of Disney and counting

To me it is one of the best in park TS. (excluding WS) I think the food is good and it's a great place to take a break and they make a great cocktail.
Sweettears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:59 PM   #15
inkedupmomma
If you live to be a 100, I hope to live to be 100 minus 1 day. So I never have to live without you.

Unlike most Disers, I HATED the cobb salad. Worst cobb I have ever eaten

With that said, the steak I had (which I don't recall it being on the menu before I left, and I don't see it now) was the best thing I ate the whole trip!

My fiance and kids also loved their apps and entrees!

The desserts were delish too!

Service was pretty great, although lacked personality.

It's not a must do for us, but after the hit or miss reviews here, we were pleasantly surprised!
inkedupmomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: