Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #16
Swirly girls
Mouseketeer

Grand Floridian question

We just got back from our wonderful vacation, and now I have found out my mom is taking my girls and I to Disney! She's never been there, and after seeing our pictures and video of our vacation, she now wants to go, and take us with! The exciting thing is, we're surprising my daughters and do not plan to tell them until right before we leave.

My husband may come too, not sure about that yet -- we might want this to be our " girls vacation" and my dad isn't interested in going at all

We already know we will be staying at the Grand Floridian. We also know we want a theme park room. My question is, there seem to be different levels that have theme park view.... I'm a little confused by this. We want a large enough room for the 5 of us, theme park view, a balcony, and my mom would like the " level" that includes that stuff as well as the provided snacks, wine, cheese, ect through out the day.
It looks like there are a different buildings to this resort... And theme park view in each building, or only certain buildings? We have been on DW.com and it looks like also different floor levels with theme park view? The higher up you stay, the more money it is? Money isn't a huge concern, but we would like to keep it around 5,000 - 6,000 give or take a few hundred for 6 nights. That is about the price I have found on DW.com with our 3 or 4 day Disney tickets. We are not going to add a dining plan (I don't think) and will be booking airfare elsewhere.
Can I have some help sorting all this out? People who have stayed here in the past please talk to me I'm interested in what the cost for just the resort stay was too ( if you don't mind sharing)
Thank you!
Swirly girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #17
elaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirly girls View Post
We just got back from our wonderful vacation, and now I have found out my mom is taking my girls and I to Disney! She's never been there, and after seeing our pictures and video of our vacation, she now wants to go, and take us with! The exciting thing is, we're surprising my daughters and do not plan to tell them until right before we leave.

My husband may come too, not sure about that yet -- we might want this to be our " girls vacation" and my dad isn't interested in going at all

We already know we will be staying at the Grand Floridian. We also know we want a theme park room. My question is, there seem to be different levels that have theme park view.... I'm a little confused by this. We want a large enough room for the 5 of us, theme park view, a balcony, and my mom would like the " level" that includes that stuff as well as the provided snacks, wine, cheese, ect through out the day.
It looks like there are a different buildings to this resort... And theme park view in each building, or only certain buildings? We have been on DW.com and it looks like also different floor levels with theme park view? The higher up you stay, the more money it is? Money isn't a huge concern, but we would like to keep it around 5,000 - 6,000 give or take a few hundred for 6 nights. That is about the price I have found on DW.com with our 3 or 4 day Disney tickets. We are not going to add a dining plan (I don't think) and will be booking airfare elsewhere.
Can I have some help sorting all this out? People who have stayed here in the past please talk to me I'm interested in what the cost for just the resort stay was too ( if you don't mind sharing)
Thank you!
You would definitely want RPC (Royal Palm Club) which is the main building. We stayed there last year and it was awesome.
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #18
J.C.&ALI'SMOM
I really had to bite my tongue on that one
Wondering how we could get our moonshine on the plane

If you like the Epcot area resorts you should consider the Swan/Dolphin resorts. They are in a great location, true deluxe resorts, with great restaurants. They are the closest resorts to DHS and an easy walk or boat ride to Epcot's International Gateway.

Another plus is the great discounts they offer. Much better rates than the other resorts in the area.

We stayed at the Dolphin during the last 2 Thanksgiving trips we have made. The resort is decorated really nicely and the air freshener in the lobby area smells delicious during holiday time! I wish I could get it for my home!

J.C.&ALI'SMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #19
Swirly girls
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaw View Post
You would definitely want RPC (Royal Palm Club) which is the main building. We stayed there last year and it was awesome.
May I ask what your room was like, how many beds, what was the size, was there a balcony? And, I know this kinda tacky, but may I ask what the price of just the resort stay was?
Thanks!!
Swirly girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #20
charmedlife3517
Mouseketeer

We just stayed at Boardwalk and the staff there is so rude. There were a few cast members that were pleasant but for the most part the staff was rude. I think it was a competition to see who could be the most rude or the least helpful. And we didnt really even have any major problems and didnt ask the front desk for anything other than check-in and check-out. I would hate to see if we needed something out of the ordinary. For that reason alone I would stay at BC or YC.

charmedlife3517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:18 AM   #21
elaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
May I ask what your room was like, how many beds, what was the size, was there a balcony? And, I know this kinda tacky, but may I ask what the price of just the resort stay was?
Thanks!!
The room was awesome ... we got upgraded upon check-in (we didn't ask for it) to a deluxe room that was huge. It had 2 queen beds and a couch and way too much room for the 2 of us ... it also did have a balcony that faced the main pool. As far as price goes all I can remeber was that we got the 35% off, AP discount.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:41 AM   #22
kaligal
DIS Veteran

Given the choices, I will go with Yacht Club.

I love the BC and like BWI enough, but feel that both look terrible at Christmas. They just don't feel very Christmassy at all, IMO. Yacht Club pulls it off much better and is a decent hotel.

But I've stayed at all three around Christmastime and it isn't like BWI is some kind of hardship, lol.
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #23
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

The main reason to recommend Epcot resorts is the proximity to DHS for Osborne Lights. We ended up there most nights just to see them. Nothing better!!

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:05 PM   #24
Robbi
DIS Veteran

The 2 deluxe reosrts I'd choose at Christmas are the Wilderness Lodge or the Grand Floridian RPC. The Wilderness Lodge has a very warm family friendly feeling at Christmas. I would get a bunk room with a courtyard view. The GF has a Victorian more formal Christmas aura. I would not stay there except on the Royal Palm Court level. I dont like walking from the main building to the outer buildings-just loses some of grandness. Besides if it's chilly and rainy, the walk would be miserable.
We are DVC members at the BWV but none of the Epcot resorts have that real Christmas ambiance at least in my opinion. We've stayed at all of them at Christmas time so I'm basing my post on that. At any other time of the year though, the Epcot resorts are our first choice.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:31 PM   #25
rcraw45425
I'm a 43 year old mom with a scar on my navel!

Quote:
Thanks!!
Looks like Royal Palm is full but Sugar Loaf, the outer building CL has a standard view room at $905 a night. Royal Palm would be higher. The rooms are identical in all buildings it's the view and amenities you're paying for. All rooms have balconies or patios, the top floors have dormers with a more enclosed balcony. We wound up with our first ground floor room there last December and the patio is pretty spacious. All double queen rooms sleep five with a daybed. We have also had a king room with a queen sofa sleeper when our girls were younger, considered an upgrade because it had a dead on view of Cinderellas Castle.
offsite '71,'86,'95,'04,Swan'98,CR'98,GF'99,CR'01,CR'03,WL '04,Polynesian'04,YC'05,GF'05,POFQ'05,CR'05,YC'06, PBH'06,CR'07,AS Sports,YC CL1/08,GF11/08, HRH 07/09, WL CL 11/09, PBH 1/10, CR Tower Club 1 bedroom suite 5/10,Royal Pacific Resort Club 12/10, BWI,Disney Dream 4/11,CSR/Grand Floridian 12/11,CR tower 10/12, AKL 1/13, Polynesian 6/13,Polynesian 10/13, PBH CL 11/13, BC 3/14 (2 BR suite), Hard Rock Hotel for Diagon Alley Opening Day (7/14)
rcraw45425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #26
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

op

which park will you spend the most time at - Studio, Epcot, Mk or AK?

if studio then BWV
if Epcot then BCV
if MK then CR or Polyn
if AK then anything (AKV the closest hotel to AK does not have walking, boating or anything but bus transportation to all the parks)

this is more important than you realize. deluxe resort share the buses to the other parks. so if you can't walk, boat or monorail to it - then it is bus transportation. plus the deluxe resorts share - bc and yc will share, bw, d & s will share and at slow times they will all share.

at mk resorts - cr, polyn and gf share alot to Dd and studios - don't know about ak....

during a busy season and when you are going it is the busiest - then you need to consider your opinions carefully.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #27
cocoachip
Earning My Ears

Another vote for WL at Christmas!
cocoachip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #28
Babbletrish
DIS Veteran

Exclamation

You're essentially going to have to settle for whatever's left at this point, but by far you cannot beat the Contemporary/BLT for convenience. Great views of the fireworks and you'll be able to visit the Bay Lake/Seven Seas Lagoon resorts and their fantastic decorations very easily.
Babbletrish is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: