Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #46
SarahKate
DIS Veteran

For those of you who are reading this thread and worrying about your ADRs, please don't cancel your ADR just because of what you read. ALL of the WDW restaurants get good and bad reviews, although I will say that 'Ohana tends to be somewhat controversial! Think about restaurants you eat at back at home. You might go once and it's great, then you go back a 2nd time and it's not as good. This is no different, but we have such high expectations because it's such a special occasion!

We ate there earlier this past week and had an overall positive experience. The service was just fine, the server was attentive and efficient.

I enjoyed the shrimp (although it was a little spicy), steak, pork (yes I know it's just a pork chop but it was cooked well and I liked the seasonings). DH loved the chicken. We also enjoyed the salad and noodles.

My main beefs with this place would be the speed at which food comes out and the sheer amount of it. SO much food is wasted.

My FAVE part of this experience was the bread pudding dessert. It was soooo yummy and DH and I had to stop ourselves from totally finishing it!
SarahKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:12 AM   #47
hannahryan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahKate
For those of you who are reading this thread and worrying about your ADRs, please don't cancel your ADR just because of what you read. ALL of the WDW restaurants get good and bad reviews, although I will say that 'Ohana tends to be somewhat controversial! Think about restaurants you eat at back at home. You might go once and it's great, then you go back a 2nd time and it's not as good. This is no different, but we have such high expectations because it's such a special occasion!

We ate there earlier this past week and had an overall positive experience. The service was just fine, the server was attentive and efficient.

I enjoyed the shrimp (although it was a little spicy), steak, pork (yes I know it's just a pork chop but it was cooked well and I liked the seasonings). DH loved the chicken. We also enjoyed the salad and noodles.

My main beefs with this place would be the speed at which food comes out and the sheer amount of it. SO much food is wasted.

My FAVE part of this experience was the bread pudding dessert. It was soooo yummy and DH and I had to stop ourselves from totally finishing it!
I totally agree. I've been to Ohana's and had an amazing experience, but also have been and had a so-so experience. We still go, but I have learned to do a few things. I request seating that I know I like when checking in, I ask the server to slow down the pace of food being served, and also request meat that is fresher, steak medium rare. The change in pace of the food coming out really changes the experience.

Dad Myself Hannah (17) Ryan (15) Isabella (9) Ryder (6) Madeline (3)
hannahryan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #48
kermiebudge
Mouseketeer

Yikes! I was ecstatic that we scored a 6:30 ressie for our trip in Dec just last week, but now....hmmmmm....not so much. We loved their b-fast and thought since the dinner ressies were so hard to find, must be just as good. Thinking we'll give it a go anyways, but wonder if a ressie for Kona (never been there for dinner either) would be a safer option consistency-wise.
kermiebudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #49
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

When did they change the pork? GAH, that was my favorite part of the meal. I wish Disney would stop changing up the things that are actually good and work on changing those foods that are really bad!
CandleontheWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #50
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micca View Post
Peter I think what this proves is that this is possibly the most inconsistent eatery on property.

There are so many "never again" posts, but you see "best ever" comments as well. Either the food/service is inconsistent or people are so far apart on what constitutes a nice meal that you can't get a legitimate reading(which may well be the case)

To quote that old laxative commercial "What's a mother to do?" We'd love to love this place (some years ago it was pretty darned good).

If I were in charge, I'd work to improve the food quality even if I had to raise the prices. I'm sure there's some formula/ratio Disney demands from its restaurants that must be met which may prevent this solution from being possible.
I agree, plus most posters obviously can't differentiate between what they personally don't like (or like) vs. What may be fact.
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #51
Peter Pirate 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHTikiBeckie View Post
Were you only looking for people to agree with you?
I don't give a crap whether people disagree or agree with me. But my opinion, based on many years of dining at a restaurant I have always loved should at least be viewed as objective. I would think diners would appreciate my opinions based on my mixed emotions.

BTW, I will still give 'Ohana another chance at some point in the future (before my TIW card expires). Just try to be objective folks.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #52
meredith1
DIS Veteran

We went December, 2011 and didn't care for it. It's not back on our radar for our return trip.

DD 5 yrs twin DD & DS 3 yrs
meredith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #53
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahKate View Post
For those of you who are reading this thread and worrying about your ADRs, please don't cancel your ADR just because of what you read.
I agree, but only to some extent. If you have an ADR there and it is one of many places you want to try, then by all means, try it. But I get the sense that many people lock this in as their single most special, anticipated ADR of their entire trip and go in with very high expectations. To these people I would say: if you are relying on Ohana as your one and only, single "best" dining experience at WDW, please look elsewhere. Any place that is this controversial and this inconsistent should not be counted on to deliver a "special" meal.
JimmyV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #54
Peter Pirate 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
I agree, but only to some extent. If you have an ADR there and it is one of many places you want to try, then by all means, try it. But I get the sense that many people lock this in as their single most special, anticipated ADR of their entire trip and go in with very high expectations. To these people I would say: if you are relying on Ohana as your one and only, single "best" dining experience at WDW, please look elsewhere. Any place that is this controversial and this inconsistent should not be counted on to deliver a "special" meal.
Exactly. It used to be something special for a variety of reasons. But today, with the dilution of quality in everything from presentation to quality ... No way.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #55
dfin
Earning My Ears

What seating do you like at Ohana? My mom is 77 and would prefer something a little quieter, can you recommend at area
Old 11-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #56
Peter Pirate 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfin View Post
What seating do you like at Ohana? My mom is 77 and would prefer something a little quieter, can you recommend at area
It'll be quieter later but it is never very quiet.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #57
andrea2289
I Save My Way Back To Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
I get the sense that many people lock this in as their single most special, anticipated ADR of their entire trip and go in with very high expectations. To these people I would say: if you are relying on Ohana as your one and only, single "best" dining experience at WDW, please look elsewhere. Any place that is this controversial and this inconsistent should not be counted on to deliver a "special" meal.
I completely agree. Two years ago this was "the place" we were most excited to go...and it was a huge disappointment. The food was just AWFUL. Dry meat (and way too much of it), the shells wouldn't come off the shrimp, tough dumplings, absent/unfriendly servers, and irritiating entertainment. The only thing good about the meal was the bread...

We are HUGE foodies and understand some restaurants have "off days", but we will NEVER be back. It was that bad.

Last edited by andrea2289; 11-03-2012 at 09:11 PM.
andrea2289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #58
Peter Pirate 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea2289 View Post
I completely agree. Two years ago this was "the place" we were most excited to go...and it was a huge disappointment. The food was just AWFUL. Dry meat (and way too much of it), the shells wouldn't come off the shrimp, tough dumplings, absent/unfriendly servers, and irritiating entertainment. The only thing good about the meal was the bread...

We are HUGE foodies and understand some restaurants have "off days", but we will NEVER be back. It was that bad.
No offense intended but this restaurant was probably never intended for your personal taste, IMO. Dry meat is a by product of fire skewered food ... That is just the way it is. Shrimp is NEVER easy to peel (I live in the Keys and know shrimp well). Lastly, the entertainment (irritating or not) is part of the ambiance.

The overall quality of 'Ohana has deteriorated greatly as of late but I don't think you would have enjoyed it even in its heyday. That is no reflection on your taste at all, just your decision to eat at this particular restaurant.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #59
andrea2289
I Save My Way Back To Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pirate 2 View Post
No offense intended but this restaurant was probably never intended for your personal taste, IMO. Dry meat is a by product of fire skewered food ... That is just the way it is. Shrimp is NEVER easy to peel (I live in the Keys and know shrimp well). Lastly, the entertainment (irritating or not) is part of the ambiance.

The overall quality of 'Ohana has deteriorated greatly as of late but I don't think you would have enjoyed it even in its heyday. That is no reflection on your taste at all, just your decision to eat at this particular restaurant.
I disagree. I too, know shrimp well. Grew up in Florida and have eaten it skewered and grilled more times than I can count. It is absolutely not always hard to peel. These shells were practically adhered to the shrimp from being overcooked.

We are huge foodies (and cooks) and know food well. Dumplings should not be tough and meat should not be so dry you need a drink of water after every bite...
Old 11-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #60
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Every restaurant gets good, and bad, reviews at times by different people. There would not be any places to eat if we listened to all the bad reviews and didn't try things for ourselves.

We have been going to Ohana for years - it's a must do once or twice a trip - and have never been dissatisfied with food or service. We always ask for our meat done a certain way and they always comply. We absolutely love it.

Must be more people on the Dis that have negative comments than those that would post positive comments or some restaurants would not have anyone in them I never make our ressies until 2 months out, and have to keep trying to get into Ohana. It's always booked solid, especially early when we like to eat dinner. Our next one is early Dec.

Those of you that have ressies but have never tried Ohana, don't cancel, just try it for yourselves.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: